Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We got Nelson at 6

I’ll take it! Ballard made that pick quickly, wasn’t getting value for a trade and I don’t blame him after TB didn’t get that much in return for pick 7. Nelson is the best player in the draft IMO, can’t be upset with that at all. Not a “premium position” or flashy pick, but that very well could fix our OL for the foreseeable future if healthy 

• Like 3

I can't find anything negative to say about the Colts picking Nelson.

He was by some considered one of the top two players in the draft and we got him at #6.

He was needed by the Colts in a big way because of getting Luck protected.

The BPA was Nelson with #6 and I have no problem at all with it.

• Like 1

Nelson's presence should accentuate one of Ryan Kelly's primary strengths which is getting to the second level.  Having a generational talent (ie. Larry Allen, Hutch) anywhere on the offensive line will positively impact the entire offense, and if this is the case with Nelson, then we did very well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I think now that we got the "Hard part" figured out, we now can go balls to the wall with the picks in the 2nd round. If its Cb, LB, RB, Dline, or WR, We now can pick the best set of players in the 2nd round. Awesome pick CB and Irsey!

IMO don’t rule out OL again early.  You listen to Ballard and everything is team and from the trenches out.  Hernandez there and Rankins in the third!?!? Sign me up!! 

• Like 1

We should have taken the Bills trade at 12 Take Edmunds and have 5 2nd rounders! Nothing against Nelson as a player but Guards should not go top 6 Nelson likely won't be much better or impact the game more than Hernandez or James Daniels who are still out there. Hopefully now we can get someone like Landry or Hubbard in round 2 and a CB like Jackson that would make me less sour on our first pick.

1 hour ago, ty4atd said:

We should have taken the Bills trade at 12 Take Edmunds and have 5 2nd rounders! Nothing against Nelson as a player but Guards should not go top 6 Nelson likely won't be much better or impact the game more than Hernandez or James Daniels who are still out there. Hopefully now we can get someone like Landry or Hubbard in round 2 and a CB like Jackson that would make me less sour on our first pick.

The thing is the Colts took a ready made player to start in the 1st round.

The guys you are talking about are potential guys.

If you don't think protecting Luck wont impact the Colts I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong. From our history over the last couple of years it is a known fact we don't win many games without Luck being in the game.

Taking Nelson not only helps protect Luck it also gives a boost to the running game. This dude is a pure road grader when the ball is run behind him.

It may not be a 'sexy' pick but it was the right pick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gigc said:

It's not sexy. But FINALLY Andrew will be able to step up in the pocket. Gotta protect the franchise

If you want sexy, you draft a cheerleader. If you want to win a football game you draft the pro-bowler who will protect your franchise QB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

Totally blah pick. All of the anticipation and a guard is the result.

Not just a guard but thee guard. If you are not impressed then I take it you haven't even looked at the tapes of his play.

Pair him with Kelly and not only do you protect Luck you also boost the running game.

You may not like the pick but it was the right pick.

I loved the Stampede Blue analysis:

"This is a salad pick.  You know its the best thing for you, but the cheeseburger just looks so delicious!" haha

It was the right pick, and the guy should be a stud for us, cant wait for his first pancake victim.

5 hours ago, ty4atd said:

That Bills deal was AWFUL value... I’m not surprised CB didn’t take it.  He said originally he would have to be blown away by an offer.  Does that offer blow you away??? Ballard wants game and culture changers.. Nelson IMO is both.  Our run and pass game are instantly light years better than it was.  Not to mention an absolute identity change from this soft team we’ve been dealing with for the last six years..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Nadine locked this topic