Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning, Money, And Who Gets The Ball?

subvet

Even with Luck in the wings? I don't see Irsay passing on Luck even if Peyton can throw him 70 yards from one hash to the other.

What do you think? :)

I don't see him passing on Luck either, he'll draft him and hopefully re-sign PM to a contract that would fit the situation.

If the Colts cut Manning, doesn't he have to clear waivers before he becomes a free agent ... Or is this bonus situation designed as a 1 Yr deal with an option for 4 more years, whereby if the option is not exercised (paid) the contract simply expires making Manning a free agent without having to be cut by the Colts?

He's a vested veteran so he doesn't have to clear waivers. He could be cut at 10 am and be on the phone with team x and inked by 10:30, if he were signing a standard contract, but since that isn't likely it will take time.

The contract is set up that the Colts have to officially pick up the option bonus, or officially release him, thus voiding the contract, and automatically declining the option bonus.

If they ignore it, then it's Armageddon. He's a free agent, he's paid 28 million, and our salary cap gets hit with 38.4 million in dead cap space due to a non-exercise fee.

Non-exercise fee

Were the Colts to not exercise the $28 million option by March 8th, there is a non-exercise fee of that same $28 million due two days before the 2012 League Year, March 11th.

Translation: the Colts cannot simply let the option date pass without action; to do so would put them on the hook for the same amount and not have Manning. They will have to take the affirmative step of, yes, releasing Peyton Manning.

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-1.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-2.html

http://www.nationalf...art-3-9076.html

http://www.nationalf...ent-Part-4.html

He's a vested veteran so he doesn't have to clear waivers.

If they ignore it, then it's Armageddon. He's a free agent, he's paid 28 million, and our salary cap gets hit with 38.4 million in dead cap space due to a non-exercise fee.

More speculation on my part but you know they have to cut him to avoid this so I'm hoping Peyton doesn't take any offers and that he and Irsay have something in place ready for signing when it's legal to do so.

More speculation on my part but you know they have to cut him to avoid this so I'm hoping Peyton doesn't take any offers and that he and Irsay have something in place ready for signing when it's legal to do so.

That's obviously a possibility. I'm not counting on it, but that is a possibility.

Theoretically, they could have a meeting at any point. Fax off the release form to the NFL, then fax off a new contract within 10 minutes of each other.

I just don't see it playing out that smoothly.

That's obviously a possibility. I'm not counting on it, but that is a possibility.

Theoretically, they could have a meeting at any point. Fax off the release form to the NFL, then fax off a new contract within 10 minutes of each other.

I just don't see it playing out that smoothly.

Especially with all the other teams so interested in throwing money at our man Manning....

Especially with all the other teams so interested in throwing money at our man Manning....

I just don't think staying here is the perfect situation.

If I were him, now that's a big stretch and it's not exactly fair to say, because I'm not him, I haven't had the success he has, the money, the awards, etc. If I were him, I'd flat tell Irsay if you trade the pick for a package where you get what you want out of it, you draw up the contract, 4-5 years. I'll sign it. Low risk up front, whatever money as a base salary, I'll finish my career here... Bring in QB x(Brady Quinn), sign Orlovsky, whatever...

I don't know what Irsay would say to that offer. He has all the money in the world he will need. He would be the hero to some for going low dollar. Some would hate him if it meant no Andrew Luck, but he's not going to be the last "best prospect since", there are plenty of ways to address the QB position.

I have a theory about why New England always has 2 #1 picks. They keep piling them up for each year, just in case they feel the need to have to use them on a QB. Obviously they might be happy with Hoyer and Mallett at this point. I really wish we could have drafted Mallett in round 3 last year so that might change their strategy, but assume Brady suffers a career ending injury this past year. They have 2 #1's, and could easily throw more picks at the Colts, or Rams, or whoever to take Luck this year, or Barkley next year, or Bray or whoever the year after that. If we got the right package for the #1 pick, we could easily follow that same strategy and go after whoever in the draft when Manning hangs it up.

Then again, that's looking at it selfishly through my view of his perspective. I don't think he wants anything to do with Andrew Luck on this team and its nothing personal against Luck. I still believe Favre would have wanted, Heath Miller, Roddy White, or some defensive player as opposed to Aaron Rodgers... If Favre retires at the same time, maybe Green Bay turns it over to Flynn this past year and they don't miss a beat. Who knows...

PM, if healed, is still at the top of his game. How long is debatable. Luck and Griffen are rookies. The team is short on cap space. We have many unsigned players, mostly restricted. Our #1 TE has regressed or was healing, Our #1 WR has lost a step, our slot receivers can't stay healthy, our center is nearly retired, our ST depth is the thinnest in the NFL (opinion), our secondary is extremely thin, especially at the safety position and our DE's are both due Oprah Winfrey type money.

We have a new GM, we have a new head coach, new coordinators, strength coaches, and so on.

There are no easy decisions here. There is no path that does not include painful decisions. Cutting PM and seeing him go to another team would be incredibly painful. To see us trade the #1 pick and pass on a franchise QB with this particular opportunity would be painful as well.

I still feel that a healthy PM, is something that you just dont let go. I remember a reporter who asked him about a particular play in which he had checked to a pass play and scored a touchdown. The question was basically...what did you see? The answer PM gave him was that he watched the defense do a unique switch and he remembered this same thing happening about 5 years prior when the D coordinator he was facing that day was with another team. He remembered it, changed the play, and scored. No offense to Andrew Luck, he very well may be the next greatest thing...but Peyton Manning is a rare mind and I would hope they would trade the pick and build to get another SB with him, and let the QB possibilites come in the future. We have just too many holes to fill and the lust for Luck in the league could provide us with a rare opportunity to retool for a last run. If we dont get there, the team will likely have far better depth for whatever QB we have 3-4 years from now.

Well if I were "Irsay" I would stay with Peyton Manning cause you already know what you've got. With Andrew Luck yes you do gain youth with him, but as far as experience and results on an NFL level is a BIG BIG gamble. If Irsay doesn't keep Peyton Manning he'll be crying this old 80's song from "Cinderella" with the lyrics ...."Don't know what you got till it's gone" and then it's to late! Keep Peyton Manning here and give him the full commitment from the organization he deserves as he has always done for it. Make it possible for him to have all the resources he needs to succeed, then any and all money spent towards making that happen will return $$$$ over and over. Just my opinion.

With all that Peyton has done for this franchise and meant to the fans, it would seem that this entire situation is being handled poorly. Before Peyton, Indiana had Hoosier basketball, the Pacers, and Notre Dame Football. The biggest rivalry for an Indiana team was IU v. Purdue every year. Peyton brought relevance to the Colts. He brought a championship to a professional team in Indiana for the first time. Situations before with legendary QBs leaving at the end of their careers had one thing in common. They were teams with storied franchises that had other pieces in waiting to fill the void and carry the team in some fashion until the next QB came along. Indianapolis doesn't have that. To me, it makes no sense to start from scratch with rookies, free agents, and a new front office. Football is a business, but it is a very passionate one. With the reports coming from the people that have seen Manning throw and this leaked video, it makes sense to take a chance on Peyton and pay the bonus. Free up some cap room with other pieces that are free to leave, find a FA RB that can take some of the load off of Peyton, and keep the Colts as contenders for the next few years as other pieces are put into place for the reign of Andrew Luck. We all know that it takes more than a summer to rebuild a franchise.

I just don't think staying here is the perfect situation.

If I were him, now that's a big stretch and it's not exactly fair to say, because I'm not him, I haven't had the success he has, the money, the awards, etc. If I were him, I'd flat tell Irsay if you trade the pick for a package where you get what you want out of it, you draw up the contract, 4-5 years. I'll sign it. Low risk up front, whatever money as a base salary, I'll finish my career here... Bring in QB x(Brady Quinn), sign Orlovsky, whatever...

I don't know what Irsay would say to that offer. He has all the money in the world he will need. He would be the hero to some for going low dollar. Some would hate him if it meant no Andrew Luck, but he's not going to be the last "best prospect since", there are plenty of ways to address the QB position.

I have a theory about why New England always has 2 #1 picks. They keep piling them up for each year, just in case they feel the need to have to use them on a QB. Obviously they might be happy with Hoyer and Mallett at this point. I really wish we could have drafted Mallett in round 3 last year so that might change their strategy, but assume Brady suffers a career ending injury this past year. They have 2 #1's, and could easily throw more picks at the Colts, or Rams, or whoever to take Luck this year, or Barkley next year, or Bray or whoever the year after that. If we got the right package for the #1 pick, we could easily follow that same strategy and go after whoever in the draft when Manning hangs it up.

Then again, that's looking at it selfishly through my view of his perspective. I don't think he wants anything to do with Andrew Luck on this team and its nothing personal against Luck. I still believe Favre would have wanted, Heath Miller, Roddy White, or some defensive player as opposed to Aaron Rodgers... If Favre retires at the same time, maybe Green Bay turns it over to Flynn this past year and they don't miss a beat. Who knows...

Wow I can say without a doubt I agree(and also have stated) with every word in this post.

Keep trading your extra number 1 pick until the day u need it, and if Cleveland(if that's our trade partner) has another bad year your looking at another high draft pick, and with all the good QBs coming out next year, you could get another kings ransom. That's of course Peytons his back to his old self

But we also agree not our decision to make

Wow I can say without a doubt I agree(and also have stated) with every word in this post.

Keep trading your extra number 1 pick until the day u need it, and if Cleveland(if that's our trade partner) has another bad year your looking at another high draft pick, and with all the good QBs coming out next year, you could get another kings ransom. That's of course Peytons his back to his old self

But we also agree not our decision to make

The more I read this, the more flawed I see it. Why are some of the Manning fans ignoring that he has been out injured for a year? Yes, ignoring it. That's all you are doing. Add in the fact that we have had average picks (Addai / Brown / Gonzo) to busts (Ugoh / Hughes) with our 1st rounders recently. So why are our traded picks going to be any better now? And please, do not use the 'we have new GM / HC' argument, as that is totally untested territory.

We take the BPA, and that is Luck. And we may very well need a QB very soon. You know....neck, nerve, fusion....etc

The more I read this, the more flawed I see it. Why are some of the Manning fans ignoring that he has been out injured for a year? Yes, ignoring it. That's all you are doing. Add in the fact that we have had average picks (Addai / Brown / Gonzo) to busts (Ugoh / Hughes) with our 1st rounders recently. So why are our traded picks going to be any better now? And please, do not use the 'we have new GM / HC' argument, as that is totally untested territory.

We take the BPA, and that is Luck. And we may very well need a QB very soon. You know....neck, nerve, fusion....etc

Im not sure talking sense hits home with some people. We will just be called "Peyton haters" because that is the extent of their mentality. They can't form a logical argument beyond that so they just resort to making up silly elementary name calling. If Manning wants to come back for a much smaller contract and be willing to tutor Luck, then that would be the perfect scenario, but Im not sure that Manning is willing to do that and therefore, if thats the case, the Colts must move on.

Im not sure talking sense hits home with some people. We will just be called "Peyton haters" because that is the extent of their mentality. They can't form a logical argument beyond that so they just resort to making up silly elementary name calling. If Manning wants to come back for a much smaller contract and be willing to tutor Luck, then that would be the perfect scenario, but Im not sure that Manning is willing to do that and therefore, if thats the case, the Colts must move on.

I'd just like to clarify I'm a 'Manning fan', like everyone, but also a fan of reality. I have also seen some 'name calling from the 'Colts fan side', so it works both ways. Sure, I get drawn in on occasions, and retaliation is stupid. I should know better....I'm trying.....

And I agree that if PM doesn't want a new deal that will help us, it must be AL1. Trading the pick is a bigger risk in my opinion.

I think Peyton will entertain the idea of coming back, but I think it is 50/50 that he comes back to Indy

He's actively trying to get back to old form and I just don't see Manning giving himself only a 50/50 shot at coming back. Why would anyone not think Indy is his first choice.?

He's actively trying to get back to old form and I just don't see Manning giving himself only a 50/50 shot at coming back. Why would anyone not think Indy is his first choice.?

well I say 50/50 because of all the stuff that happened recently between him squabbling with Irsay and actively shopping for his replacement and other teams are interested in him like Washington, Miami, Arizona, New York and I just think that Peyton would love to stay in Indy but it just seems like his days are numbered here. I am excited that Peyton seems to be getting his strength back and throwing fairly well and I would love for him to stay and Indy a few more years and work with Bruce Arians again, but it just doesn't seem like it will happen

It seems like we are hearing the media constantly talking about where Manning COULD go, and where RGiii MIGHT end up, but absolutely nothing by the media on trading Luck. I think the consensus is that Irsay is planning on rebuilding and shopping for another QB. Ironically the year Manning goes out and the Colts are terrible is a year when you have one of the highest rated QB prospects coming out. This makes the situation very difficult. It's just the cards that the organization was dealt. I see Manning wanting a longer contract than the Colts would be willing to offer.

It seems like we are hearing the media constantly talking about where Manning COULD go, and where RGiii MIGHT end up, but absolutely nothing by the media on trading Luck. I think the consensus is that Irsay is planning on rebuilding and shopping for another QB. Ironically the year Manning goes out and the Colts are terrible is a year when you have one of the highest rated QB prospects coming out. This makes the situation very difficult. It's just the cards that the organization was dealt. I see Manning wanting a longer contract than the Colts would be willing to offer.

Yes but he has said he wants to stay a Colt and retire wearing the same uniform. I didn't address length of contract because I don't see it being an issue either, that it is more important to heal, get in shape, and get ready for the quarterback that is going to eventually replace him. A two year contract with 2 extensions will probably get the job done and there are no guarantees who starts but I'm thinking Manning will step down after he makes his point, he won't have anything else to prove to anyone.....but a second ring to match Eli's would be nice.

But if Peyton feels he has more than 2 years left in him, he's not going to sign anything with a set "expiration date" like that just to be a hero.

I totally agree. I love Peyton. But, it would be a bone head move sign a 1 or 2 year contract and then have to go through all of this again so soon. I would hope, just for his sake, he moves on if they cant give him at least 3 more years. I would think he would want 4. I know he will play cheaper with an incentive package in place. Just not with a contract that is going to keep him looking over his shoulder. Who would in his position. With all the interest in him.

Once Jim Irsay cuts Peyton, there will be no waiting game or incentive laden contract. #18 will land with either Miami or Seattle in my opinion. I'd be intrigued by Rex Ryan & the NY Jets, but Sanchez is owed too much money & not enough free cash/cap space to make it work.

Look, I love Peyton, but he is not returning to INDY period. That pipe dream is never gonna happen.

Peyton will retire as a Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts quarterback though.

How could PM sign a 1-2 year contract? The option exercises the final 4. Are you doing a release and re-sign? I want to see Peyton end it here too, but why should we expect him to want to play forever? What's wrong with just saying you only want to play for 2 more years?

Once Jim Irsay cuts Peyton, there will be no waiting game or incentive laden contract. #18 will land with either Miami or Seattle in my opinion. I'd be intrigued by Rex Ryan & the NY Jets, but Sanchez is owed too much money & not enough free cash/cap space to make it work.

Look, I love Peyton, but he is not returning to INDY period. That pipe dream is never gonna happen.

Peyton will retire as a Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts quarterback though.

Cutting Sanchez would give them a 5 million and change cap hit but free up 9 million and change of cap space.

If they want to move on from him it would't cost that much to do so.http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

Cutting Sanchez would give them a 5 million and change cap hit but free up 9 million and change of cap space.

If they want to move on from him it would't cost that much to do so.http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

Thanks for the link FJC. The NY Jets with Tom Moore, Peyton's former OC, makes the most sense for #18's familiarity factor/comfort zone. I would love to see Rex Ryan & Peyton Manning team up...WOW!!! An offensive & defensive guru on the same squad...Must see TV!!!

Thanks for the link FJC. The NY Jets with Tom Moore, Peyton's former OC, makes the most sense for #18's familiarity factor/comfort zone. I would love to see Rex Ryan & Peyton Manning team up...WOW!!! An offensive & defensive guru on the same squad...Must see TV!!!

The idea makes me ill. Irsay and Manning will reach terms and he will stay, no guarantees of course, just IMHO.

The idea makes me ill. Irsay and Manning will reach terms and he will stay, no guarantees of course, just IMHO.

At the end of the day, many fans want Yoda AKA Peyton Manning to finish his career where he started & I can certainly respect & admire that wish subvet. My heart is in that camp 100%, but my head says if he wants another "precious" ring he must leave INDY now. Yoda needs a solid ground game, a superb offensive line protection, an intimidating defense, & a tight secondary...only 2 teams can provide that right now...Seattle & the New York Jets. Trust me, if Rex gets Peyton, his foolish Superbowl annual prediction would stop immediately. Kansas City Chiefs under Romeo Carnel would work in Peyton's favor too actually. But, I just don't see that scenario realistically unfolding at all.

I have a ton of respect for Rex Ryan's NFL defensive mastermind prowess going all the way back to his daddy Buddy Ryan. [i remember the dominant defense of the 1985 Chicago Bears lead by DC Buddy Ryan.] Sadly, Ryan's brilliance gets overshadowed by his craving for the spotlight. Peyton has said on more than 1 occasion that Rex Ryan's defense is the longest & most difficult team he must dissect & analyze film for every single year. Their is mutual respect there between Rex & Peyton. Tom [Moore], Rex, & Peyton...This alliance would be lethal, crushing, fundamentally sound, & devastating in my humble opinion.

At the end of the day, many fans want Yoda AKA Peyton Manning to finish his career where he started & I can certainly respect & admire that wish subvet. My heart is in that camp 100%, but my head says if he wants another "precious" ring he must leave INDY now. Yoda needs a solid ground game, a superb offensive line protection, an intimidating defense, & a tight secondary...only 2 teams can provide that right now...Seattle & the New York Jets. Trust me, if Rex gets Peyton, his foolish Superbowl annual prediction would stop immediately. Kansas City Chiefs under Romeo Carnel would work in Peyton's favor too actually. But, I just don't see that scenario realistically unfolding at all.

I have a ton of respect for Rex Ryan's NFL defensive mastermind prowess going all the way back to his daddy Buddy Ryan. [i remember the dominant defense of the 1985 Chicago Bears lead by DC Buddy Ryan.] Sadly, Ryan's brilliance gets overshadowed by his craving for the spotlight. Peyton has said on more than 1 occasion that Rex Ryan's defense is the longest & most difficult team he must dissect & analyze film for every single year. Their is mutual respect there between Rex & Peyton. Tom [Moore], Rex, & Peyton...This alliance would be lethal, crushing, fundamentally sound, & devastating in my humble opinion.

I don't like it on many levels, mainly because my judgment is impaired from my distain for the entire Ryan family which will not change as I'm an old curmudgeon.....

BTW Why do you refer to PM as "Yoda"? If anything he's Obi Wan...... :neener:

I don't like it on many levels, mainly because my judgment is impaired from my distain for the entire Ryan family which will not change as I'm an old curmudgeon.....

BTW Why do you refer to PM as "Yoda"? If anything he's Obi Wan...... :neener:

Obi Wan is a decent Jedi Knight subvet. I can't criticize your choice there. For me, #18 is Yoda because he is incredibly smart & often underestimated. Plus, Yoda is my favorite Jedi. It won't matter. Peyton will end up in Miami anyway. So, put your Ryan woes to bed okay subvet.