Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gavin Memorial GM Game 2018 - Round 1

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well to me, whats the point of the list if we are going to ignore it?

It's just useful as a list of players taken and available.  I disagree with plenty of the rankings.

For Detroit I wouldve gone Harold Landry, but Payne is a solid pick.

We ran into this issue last year, and the original rule was, take the top rated player. Because that resulted in some weird picks, we modified it to take the highest rated player that made more sense.

The purpose of the rule was dependability.  We identified a list of players, or the Big Board we all agreed on. If you were available for your pick, you could pick whoever you wanted. But if you were gone, you needed to be able to depend on other GMs to make a dependable decision for you, and by resorting to tje big board, there was little basis for argument. You might be able to disagree with the pick, but could not disagree with the process. 

That was the intent.  

So with that in mind, i say we should revisit the lions pick.  If we dont agree with the highest rated player then, then we go down to the next higjest and so on untill we have a "consensus" or at least a solid majority.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

We ran into this issue last year, and the original rule was, take the top rated player. Because that resulted in some weird picks, we modified it to take the highest rated player that made more sense.

The purpose of the rule was dependability.  We identified a list of players, or the Big Board we all agreed on. If you were available for your pick, you could pick whoever you wanted. But if you were gone, you needed to be able to depend on other GMs to make a dependable decision for you, and by resorting to tje big board, there was little basis for argument. You might be able to disagree with the pick, but could not disagree with the process. 

That was the intent.  

So with that in mind, i say we should revisit the lions pick.  If we dont agree with the highest rated player then, then we go down to the next higjest and so on untill we have a "consensus" or at least a solid majority.

Then we redo if that's what you want. I'm trying to keep this moving. 

I asked for a consensus and only 1 person replied prior to the 10am deadline, so I went with that one persons pick. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

Do we give Clem-Dog six hours? He has the next two picks. 

Draft is paused momentarily

Just now, csmopar said:

Then we redo if that's what you want. I'm trying to keep this moving. 

I asked for a consensus and only 1 person replied prior to the 10am deadline, so I went with that one persons pick. 

I posted same time you posted the pick. Its not a big deal, we can keep the DaRon pick, i just think one person cant be a consensus particularly when there are 25 people rated higher on the agreed big board

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

That was the intent.  

And actually the rule for this year said that it's go to a consensus

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Draft is paused momentarily

I posted same time you posted the pick. Its not a big deal, we can keep the DaRon pick, i just think one person cant be a consensus particularly when there are 25 people rated higher on the agreed big board

We're not pausing the draft.  People had PLENTY of time to submit a consensus pick. 

Next 12 picks

The GMs below will be making draft picks today or tomorrow. Please check the board every couple of hours. You don't want to lose your opportunity to make a pick. If you will be unavailable, please message Csmopar with a list of prospects in order of preference. That will keep the draft moving smoothly. Thank you!

(21) Bills - @Clem-Dog

(22) Bills (Via KC) - @Clem-Dog

(23) Rams - @jseg18

(24) Panthers - @Superman

(25) Titans - @OffensivelyPC

(26) Falcons - @chad72

(27) Saints - @SaturdayAllDay

(28) Steelers - @stitches

(29) Jaguars - @DraftMaster

(30) Vikings - @NFLfan

(31) Patriots - @Track Guy

(32) Eagles - @PrincetonTiger

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Fair point, but again I ask, whats the point of the list. Anyway, to keep the draft going, let the Lions take Payne. 

The list was simply to keep track of what players were left to aid in selections.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If we pause the draft every time someone disagrees with a pick, we'll never get done. This is Day 3 for round one as it is.

Last year it took weeks. One took the entire month of April and we didn't even finish it before the real draft ended.  And I mean, its only March.

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Last year it took weeks. One took the entire month of April and we did even finish it before the real drafted.  And I mean, its only March.

It is going a lot faster this year. I think it is better when it moves faster.

Btw, did you get a notification a few minutes ago that I tagged ("mentioned") you? 

Just now, NFLfan said:

It is going a lot faster this year. I think it is better if it moves faster.

Btw, did you get a notification a few minutes ago that I tagged ("mentioned") you? 

I did. I dont really mind how the draft is going and I swear Im not trying to complain. Just not everyone participated last year and when we talked about the auto-pick consensus, that could mean very different things to different people. I was under the understanding that the consensus would operate like last year and I though that was understood when it was proposed. It wasnt and its fine by me. 

1 minute ago, SolidGold said:

This is my first year so im not sure if it always moves this slow but I was wondering if we could shorten the time to select as we move through the next rounds ?

Not trying to be argumentative but not all the GMs may have access in a shorter time frame.

4 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

This is my first year so im not sure if it always moves this slow but I was wondering if we could shorten the time to select as we move through the next rounds ?

I kind of thought about that myself. However, I don't think changing up the time rules mid draft would be a good thing. However, IF everyone were to agree to cutting that time frame down to say 2 hours or even 90 minutes for the next rounds, id be fine with it. But I'd like for that change to be unanimous before we'd change it up. 

Just now, csmopar said:

I kind of thought about that myself. However, I don't think changing up the time rules mid draft would be a good thing. However, IF everyone were to agree to cutting that time frame down to say 2 hours or even 90 minutes for the next rounds, id be fine with it. But I'd like for that change to be unanimous 

Understandable. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I kind of thought about that myself. However, I don't think changing up the time rules mid draft would be a good thing. However, IF everyone were to agree to cutting that time frame down to say 2 hours or even 90 minutes for the next rounds, id be fine with it. But I'd like for that change to be unanimous before we'd change it up. 

I think we are moving along just fine. Just have to have some patience till your time comes.

16 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I did. I dont really mind how the draft is going and I swear Im not trying to complain. Just not everyone participated last year and when we talked about the auto-pick consensus, that could mean very different things to different people. I was under the understanding that the consensus would operate like last year and I though that was understood when it was proposed. It wasnt and its fine by me. 

Okay. Maybe before the second round, the rules can be clarified. What bothers me more is that some members sign up to do this and don't make themselves available. I won't be available much tomorrow but I will message the Commish, as I don't want folks waiting on me. 

Btw, if I send my list and I am on the clock, don't wait. Just take the top guy on my list. 

Speaking of lists, I have to take Payne off that. :( 

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think we are moving along just fine. Just have to have some patience till your time comes.

It's really not difficult to send your picks into the commissioner if your not going to be available. Just consideration for those who are attending the draft and speeds it up. IMO

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. Maybe before the second round, the rules can be clarified. What bothers me more is that some members sign up to do this and don't make themselves available. I won't be available much tomorrow but I will message the Commish, as I don't want folks waiting on me. 

Btw, if I send my list and I am on the clock, don't wait. Just take the top guy on my list. 

Speaking of lists, I have to take Payne off that. :( 

It wasnt the main reason I pushed back, but it was a reason. Lol.  

6 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

It's really not difficult to send your picks into the commissioner if your not going to be available. Just consideration for those who are attending the draft and speeds it up. IMO

Understandable but the speed of the picks varies so your pick may sneak up on you. If a GM sends a list too far ahead of time they may want to adjust those picks come time for them to draft.

21 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It wasnt the main reason I pushed back, but it was a reason. Lol.  

Anyone that sent me a list, I pick from the top of their list. Only 3 such members have done so. If no list is sent, then it goes to a consensus. You're pushing back for nada

So what is the updated list now.

I think 1 post with the updated list for every page (every 40 replies) might probably be easier for GMs. Since the forum allows us to edit posts from back in time, that 1 post would suffice for the page to keep GMs updated.

Just a thought. :) 

Btw, I am PM'ing my list now.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So what is the updated list now.

I think 1 post with the updated list for every page (every 40 replies) might probably be easier for GMs. Since the forum allows us to edit posts from back in time, that 1 post would suffice for the page to keep GMs updated.

Just a thought. :) 

Btw, I am PM'ing my list now.

Awesome, thanks