Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need to get a trade for Landry done asap..

I have read a lot of teams were/are interested in Landry but recent word is Phins having hard time finding a serious partner. Colts gotta step up and get this done and then go hard after A-Rob. Robinson, TY and Landry would be one of top WR tandems in the league. 

IMO, this needs to happen. Wishful thinking maybe, but I think it could be possible

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or they could just sign WR Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins. Both would fit the Alshon Jeffery mold more so than Landry if Reich wants to have a similar offense to what Philly had last year. 

Bottom line, I don't want to trade away quality assets to get Landry with how high the Colts draft picks are this year. 

He signed his tag today so now they really are going to be really anxious to find a partner.  Landry could be the holdup because he's sticking to his high demands but with Robinson and Watkins now out there he might be more flexible.    Maybe the signing today means a trade is imminent?  I'm hoping we swoop in and get him and James together.  What a coup that would be and I think a mid round pick and maybe a player could get it done.   Here's hoping.

50 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I have read a lot of teams were/are interested in Landry but recent word is Phins having hard time finding a serious partner. Colts gotta step up and get this done and then go hard after A-Rob. Robinson, TY and Landry would be one of top WR tandems in the league. 

IMO, this needs to happen. Wishful thinking maybe, but I think it could be possible

why? what's the rush? the closer this gets to Wednesday, the liklihood of miami's asking price will come down goes up.  They have to be UNDER the salary cap with the top 51 by Wednesday... with Landry on board, they have to shed some serious cash to meet that.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 million, plus an additional 7-8 million by the draft just to sign their picks. So they'll either have to release Suh and several other big contracted players or trade Landry or others for a song.  Miami put their backs against a wall with this tag and they'll be getting desperate by first of the week.

I’m pretty sure they’re just going to rescind the franchise tag. They won’t get anything more than a third for him and that’s what they’d probably get in a comp pick anyway. Teams don’t want to trade high draft picks for the rights to pay a slot receiver 15 million a year. 

12 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I’m pretty sure they’re just going to rescind the franchise tag. They won’t get anything more than a third for him and that’s what they’d probably get in a comp pick anyway. Teams don’t want to trade high draft picks for the rights to pay a slot receiver 15 million a year. 

I agree. However, once he signs that, I don't think they can rescind the tag.  They'd have to cut him, at which point, his 15+ mil cap hit stays on the books regardless.

Look, I'm not getting the sentiment of the "I'd rather go with x" scenario.

Sammy Watkins? Seriously? So we can pay him a cheap prove it deal only to watch him play most of the season on the IR list or at best have him disappear in games when needed the most. Sammy Watkins SUCKS!! enough with him already. Make any excuse you want, let him be someone else's problem. Bills shipped him out and Rams decided Woods and Kuup are better options and Colts fans want this guy here..Ha!!

Paul Richardson? Really? Yeah, let's pay a guy, who has been just a guy in Seattle to hope he turns out anywhere near Golden Tate did. Yeah, again, NO THANKS. 

Landry is proven and he is a stud. He's a chain mover consistently and a playmaker on returning punts. All this guy does is catch everything coming his way, like that's what we don't need. I mean who would want a guy that catches tons of passes week in and week out. Who cares if he is a slot guy. I have seen him line up on outside as well from time to time.

Yeah, who wouldn't want to pay for consistent production when we can pay less for an invisible cripple with a great college pedigree and an unproven JAG, that Seattle is letting walk which makes total sense considering Seattle is loaded with pass catchers making this guy expendable... Come on

The only guy I really want the Colts to snag of the "Lesser WR guys" who are paid lower amounts and a flier taken, would be Brice Butler. IMO this guy can be a true stud and a steal if a team really gives him a chance to PLAY. Butler is my sleeper FA of this season and I hoping the combo of Reich and Eberflus knowing about this guy lands him in Indy.

There is no doubt Ballard will be signing a couple options this offseason.  Since the cupboard is so bare having to trade a high draft pick and roughly 18% of available cap space for Landry is totally out of the question.  

I like the idea of offering Robinson a long-term incentive-laden deal with a base around $10 m that could spike a few million with all-pro type production.  

It seems like nobody in here wants to pay for top talent. Most would rather pay injured players prove it deals or grab the third or forth option because he's cheaper. Why even waste the money period when you can stop being cheap and pay for a player your going to get production out of. Landry would be the best player in FA to add to the offense besides Norwell. 

22 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Look, I'm not getting the sentiment of the "I'd rather go with x" scenario.

Sammy Watkins? Seriously? So we can pay him a cheap prove it deal only to watch him play most of the season on the IR list or at best have him disappear in games when needed the most. Sammy Watkins SUCKS!! enough with him already. Make any excuse you want, let him be someone else's problem. Bills shipped him out and Rams decided Woods and Kuup are better options and Colts fans want this guy here..Ha!!

Paul Richardson? Really? Yeah, let's pay a guy, who has been just a guy in Seattle to hope he turns out anywhere near Golden Tate did. Yeah, again, NO THANKS. 

Landry is proven and he is a stud. He's a chain mover consistently and a playmaker on returning punts. All this guy does is catch everything coming his way, like that's what we don't need. I mean who would want a guy that catches tons of passes week in and week out. Who cares if he is a slot guy. I have seen him line up on outside as well from time to time.

Yeah, who wouldn't want to pay for consistent production when we can pay less for an invisible cripple with a great college pedigree and an unproven JAG, that Seattle is letting walk which makes total sense considering Seattle is loaded with pass catchers making this guy expendable... Come on

I agree with the stuff you said about the other players..  I don't want them..  Moncreif is better than them,  might as well just keep him instead.. I would love to get landry,  but not for 15 mil.. If he drops his price then yay grab him asap

10 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

It seems like nobody in here wants to pay for top talent. Most would rather pay injured players prove it deals or grab the third or forth option because he's cheaper. Why even waste the money period when you can stop being cheap and pay for a player your going to get production out of. Landry would be the best player in FA to add to the offense besides Norwell. 

I haven’t seen a more unanimous opinion than that we should sign Norwell and he’s the most costly free agent out there. Just because we don’t want to trade for Landry just to pay him 15 million a year doesn’t mean we don’t want to see the team use its cap space. He’s good, but he’s not ‘break the bank’ good. 

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I agree with the stuff you said about the other players..  I don't want them..  Moncreif is better than them,  might as well just keep him instead.. I would love to get landry,  but not for 15 mil.. If he drops his price then yay grab him asap

15m sounds expensive now but it won't next year. I think TY is 11m.  I would rather overspend now for two or three top tier guys with no health issues like Landry and Norwell than penny pinch on some mid tier guys. 

Every player cost money. When is a player considered a waste of money ? Millions is millions right ? When is being cheap considered ok when your not producing or on IR ? Keep bringing in a bunch of cheap guys that aren't even top players at their position. To do what exactly? Dont bring in Landry, but yet he would be the 3rd best player on our offense if we did.

13 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Thank you for this. my thoughts exactly :thmup:

16 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Just because you have the money does not mean you throw it without the price of the player settling down. That is what Ballard did with Hankins. Hankins originally wanted close to $12-13 mil., and when the dust settled, teams weren't willing to fork up that much, he got Hankins for $10 mil.

So, if Landry comes off the $15 mil. per year pedestal to a level like $12 mil. per year, closer to the TY number, I can see Ballard pulling the trigger. That is the reason Elway is probably deciding to keep DT and Sanders because he knows their cap number is nowhere close to the premier WRs in the league right now like Julio, Antonio Brown etc.

Landry is good but he is not Julio, OBJ good. Last year was truly the first year when he hit the end zone consistently. The one thing he is reliable for is moving the chains based on his previous years. People do not fork up $15 mil. per year for slot wide outs, just does not happen. If a WR can be lined up anywhere with play making ability outside and inside, like the Julio, OBJ, AB category, yes, they are worth $15 mil. per year.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Just because you have the money does not mean you throw it without the price of the player settling down. That is what Ballard did with Hankins. Hankins originally wanted close to $12-13 mil., and when the dust settled, teams weren't willing to fork up that much, he got Hankins for $10 mil.

So, if Landry comes off the $15 mil. per year pedestal to a level like $12-13 mil. per year, closer to the TY number, I can see Ballard pulling the trigger. That is the reason Elway is probably deciding to keep DT and Sanders because he knows their cap number is nowhere close to the premier WRs in the league right now like Julio, Antonio Brown etc.

The tag is the problem as now that 15mil becomes a starting point if Landry is sold on "Just the Money". I'm not sure he is though. With the Colts and a healthy Luck, I believe Landry would see an opportunity to win in Indy other than in Chi-Town, Baltimore, or Cleveland is all I'm saying. Now this is all speculation by me, but it's why I would go hard with a decent pick of 3rd or 4th for Landry Now. Then sign him long term to a friendlier number once we have him. Dolphins knowing they're option may be less closer to FA time might pull the trigger now because of that. That's why I started this post. I would definitely give up a 3rd or 4th for Landry in a hot minute if I were the Colts.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

The tag is the problem as now that 15mil becomes a starting point if Landry is sold on "Just the Money". I'm not sure he is though. With the Colts and a healthy Luck, I believe Landry would see an opportunity to win in Indy other than in Chi-Town, Baltimore, or Cleveland is all I'm saying. Now this is all speculation by me, but it's why I would go hard with a decent pick of 3rd or 4th for Landry Now. Then sign him long term to a friendlier number once we have him. Dolphins knowing they're option may be less closer to FA time might pull the trigger now because of that. That's why I started this post. I would definitely give up a 3rd or 4th for Landry in a hot minute if I were the Colts.

but again... why rush when it is clear that other teams arent interested in giving up a lot when everyone knows that by holding out forces Miami to take drastic approaches.

54 minutes ago, csmopar said:

why? what's the rush? the closer this gets to Wednesday, the liklihood of miami's asking price will come down goes up.  They have to be UNDER the salary cap with the top 51 by Wednesday... with Landry on board, they have to shed some serious cash to meet that.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 million, plus an additional 7-8 million by the draft just to sign their picks. So they'll either have to release Suh and several other big contracted players or trade Landry or others for a song.  Miami put their backs against a wall with this tag and they'll be getting desperate by first of the week.

What we really don't know is who's asking price needs to come down.  Landry, Miami maybe both.  What we do know is Miami is up against it like you said and they will be very motivated to trade him.  Robinson and Watkins out there should motivate Landry.  He probably wasn't expecting that.  I think we're a player for Landry and I'm expecting we will know one way or the other very soon. 

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

No one is. We are just speculating. He is going to be glad to play under the tag as it gets him Top 5 for that position putting him in elite company. Dolphins, like I am, want to see if he can reproduce what he produced last year or anywhere close to it. If he does, Landry knows he will have more suitors and right now, the Dolphins have the upper hand to ask a bit more than he is worth to other teams. 

We CAN be a player but not bend over backwards to get him, that is what most people are thinking here. Like Hankins last year, I think Ballard will sit tight and go after one of Norwell or Josh Sitton first, Hitchens next, and then re-focus on Landry, that is what I think will happen.

Just now, csmopar said:

but again... why rush when it is clear that other teams arent interested in giving up a lot when everyone knows that by holding out forces Miami to take drastic approaches.

You can only hold out so long or you lose.  Here's where being too cute can cost you. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

This "Bolded" exactly my point. Why be a dart throw amongst 5 teams offering a 5th, when you can win by offering a 4th? If you really want the guy, go get him.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No one is. We are just speculating. He is going to be glad to play under the tag as it gets him Top 5 for that position putting him in elite company. Dolphins, like I am, want to see if he can reproduce what he produced last year or anywhere close to it. If he does, Landry knows he will have more suitors and right now, the Dolphins have the upper hand to ask a bit more than he is worth to other teams. 

We CAN be a player but not bend over backwards to get him, that is what most people are thinking here.

The dolphins cannot keep him at that number, not without getting rid of a lot of other players. What you don't want is Dolphins to rescind the tag making Landry a "True" FA. Then it becomes a bidding war, no one wants.

Just now, Indeee said:

The dolphins cannot keep him at that number, not without getting rid of a lot of other players. What you don't want is Dolphins to rescind the tag making Landry a "True" FA. Then it becomes a bidding war, no one wants.

I am not as desperate for getting Landry as some of you are here. In a bidding war, only the player wins, and if you have already established a value, you bid that value, it is not complicated. 

Julio, OBJ , Brown are worth 15 mil and are on another level and the bar is set with them but what exactly are they doing in the playoffs ? Superbowls ? I only see them in the regular season on highlights. If they are worth 15 mil why wouldn't Landry be ? If we are paying for regular season highlights then why doesn't Landry deserve what they make?  I would argue if Landry had the QB's that Brown ,OBJ, or Julio have he would be able to prove why he's worth the money. And with Luck he would have those numbers that they have or better. The QB you have plays a significant part in your production.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I am not as desperate for getting Landry as some of you are here. In a bidding war, only the player wins, and if you have already established a value, you bid that value, it is not complicated. 

I don't think it's desperation at all. I think it comes down to "Play Makers". It's quite possible the new Colts regime believes they can take guys like Chester and a couple lower tier FA's and maybe a couple drafted and undrafted WR's and turn them into formidable players with excelled coaching. Maybe if that is how they are viewing it, then maybe they will prove to be correct.

For me, after watching, all the way back to Fleener, Allen, Moncrief, Aiken(who I actually thought was going to be a steal), AJ, etc.. fizzle out and underwhelm I'm ready for proven play makers. That's where my motivation from a fans point comes from

14 minutes ago, Indeee said:

He signed the tag today.  That option is gone.

Just now, richard pallo said:

No it's not, the tag can be rescinded just like the Panthers did to Norman a few years back. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Norman signed it and then it was absolved

43 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Julio, OBJ , Brown are worth 15 mil and are on another level and the bar is set with them but what exactly are they doing in the playoffs ? Superbowls ? I only see them in the regular season on highlights. If they are worth 15 mil why wouldn't Landry be ? If we are paying for regular season highlights then why doesn't Landry deserve what they make?  I would argue if Landry had the QB's that Brown ,OBJ, or Julio have he would be able to prove why he's worth the money. And with Luck he would have those numbers that they have or better. The QB you have plays a significant part in your production.

Landry doesn't have the game-breaking ability that OBJ, Brown and Julio have. Not even close to the same level athlete. Giants QBs haven't been significantly better than Landry's either. Landry hasn't been able to show he can consistently make plays on the outside or intermediate/deep-range.

All his TDs this past year were inside the 10. He has 21 receptions that were longer than 20 yards the past 2 seasons (and just 6 last year). OBJ had 20 in 2016 alone.

And didn't you watch the Falcons in 2016 playoffs or Steelers this year in the playoffs?

31 minutes ago, Indeee said:

No it's not, the tag can be rescinded just like the Panthers did to Norman a few years back. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Norman signed it and then it was absolved

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He didn't sign the tag, he can't sign it until the league year/FA officially opens next week.

Tag can't be rescinded it it's signed.

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I thought they pulled it before he signed it and once signed it can't be rescinded.

6 minutes ago, Finball said:

Landry doesn't have the game-breaking ability that OBJ, Brown and Julio have. Not even close to the same level athlete. Giants QBs haven't been significantly better than Landry's either. Landry hasn't been able to show he can consistently make plays on the outside or intermediate/deep-range.

All his TDs this past year were inside the 10. He has 21 receptions that were longer than 20 yards the past 2 seasons (and just 6 last year). OBJ had 20 in 2016 alone.

And didn't you watch the Falcons in 2016 playoffs or Steelers this year in the playoffs?

Yeah and they eventually was watching as well. So what exactly are you getting from those two players that your not getting from Landry? They are getting the extra millions to watch the playoffs and the superbowls. And they both have better QB's and teams. Teams are paying them more to play 1 or 2 extra games a year. If he's not worth the money then maybe none of them are worth that kind of money IMO. 

1 minute ago, SolidGold said:

Yeah and they eventually was watching as well. So what exactly are you getting from those two players that your not getting from Landry? They are getting the extra millions to watch the playoffs and the superbowls. And they both have better QB's and teams. Teams are paying them more to play 1 or 2 extra games a year. If he's not worth the money then maybe none of them are worth that kind of money IMO. 

Thank you very much, agent of Landry. :thmup: