Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For Many Of Us, It's Not 'change' That We Object To...

rccoltsfan

...it's about how it's being done.

I've been reading a lot of generalizations that pro-Peyton fans are just being resistant to change, that we don't like Luck, and that Luck is the only hope that the Colts have moving on.

In the 28 years of Indianapolis Colts football, we've been through many changes...none that I recall has created such a chasm in the fan base as this one. It's because this player has meant more to this franchise & city than any other since Johnny U.

Irsay needs to be a man of his word and let Peyton finish his career where he started it, and on his terms. RG3 said that it would be an honor to hold the clipboard behind such a legend. That is respect, and that is what Peyton deserves.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nothing to do with Luck, he has said at the combine he's fine with whatever situation he gets drafted into and Manning is his hero.

This is about Peyton's performance. Can he still be Peyton. Plus we can't risk that much guaranteed money . He can still have a huge contract but its gonna have to be incentive driven.

I've been reading a lot of generalizations that pro-Peyton fans are just being resistant to change, that we don't like Luck, and that Luck is the only hope that the Colts have moving on.

In the 28 years of Indianapolis Colts football, we've been through many changes...none that I recall has created such a chasm in the fan base as this one. It's because this player has meant more to this franchise & city than any other since Johnny U.

Irsay needs to be a man of his word and let Peyton finish his career where he started it, and on his terms. RG3 said that it would be an honor to hold the clipboard behind such a legend. That is respect, and that is what Peyton deserves.

I agree with the first part of your post. Irsay probably is willing to let Peyton finish his career in Indy, just not with the current contract. Luck also said that he would be willing to play behind Manning.

I agree with the sentiment, but since its not yet "done", lets not jump to conclusions about "how it was".

Both players have gushed over manning, so i'm not reading into their statements (anymore).

That said, if Manning is 100% and not a colt, then we always knew it was about money and that is just wrong.

I don't think any player has earned the right to keep an organization from doing what is best.

The best course of action is to select Andrew Luck and to play him next season--secure the position for the next 10 to 15 years. Also to give Pagano and Grigson the best chance of success, we should move forward without Manning because Manning will probably want to help construct the roster.

It's just time....

I agree with the sentiment, but since its not yet "done", lets not jump to conclusions about "how it was".

Both players have gushed over manning, so i'm not reading into their statements (anymore).

That said, if Manning is 100% and not a colt, then we always knew it was about money and that is just wrong.

Money is just one part of it, my 2cents

You don't pay a player $28 million and allow his contract to hit your cap for an average of $19 million for the next four years if you don't know whether he can play or not.

We're not talking about allowing Jerome Bettis to finish his career with the Steelers, knowing that he's only making $2.4 million a year. You're talking about a contract that could choke your cap for the next four seasons.

You don't pay a player $28 million and allow his contract to hit your cap for an average of $19 million for the next four years if you don't know whether he can play or not.

We're not talking about allowing Jerome Bettis to finish his career with the Steelers, knowing that he's only making $2.4 million a year. You're talking about a contract that could choke your cap for the next four seasons.

Tell me this. Who wrote this contract up. Im pretty sure it was willy wonka upstairs. He kept bragging about making peyton the highest paid player ever. And that essentially wat he did. Now he wants to back off of it. And dont give me this medical crap. Irsay knew peyton wasnt healthy when he wrote the contract. Peyton isnt choking the cap. Irsay is. Now he wants to be a coward and not live up to his word. I have lost all respect for the man

Tell me this. Who wrote this contract up. Im pretty sure it was willy wonka upstairs. He kept bragging about making peyton the highest paid player ever. And that essentially wat he did. Now he wants to back off of it. And dont give me this medical crap. Irsay knew peyton wasnt healthy when he wrote the contract. Peyton isnt choking the cap. Irsay is. Now he wants to be a coward and not live up to his word. I have lost all respect for the man

Every year, teams terminate contracts they signed in previous years for various reasons.

Do you have the same visceral reaction to all of them? Are those owners of every team "cowards" because they didn't live up their word as you put it?

Or are you just mad that Manning might not be coming back and lashing out at the easiest target?

And who signed the contract knowing he was pretty much done? Works both ways laddie.

And the contract that was signed by both parties allow for the release before option bonus payment. The Colts should consider this possibility, and if they choose to act on it, it would still be within the contract, so it would be living up to his word.

Allow me to be straight up: You're being ridiculous. You are upset that Manning might be gone (which I am as well), and you're taking it out on Jim Irsay.

1) Irsay deciding not to pick up the option isn't him 'not living up to his word.' The contract was written with an option that would allow Irsay to make this decision. Manning agreed to the contract; matter of fact it was his idea. He has an option; he's not going back on his word. That's nonsense.

2) Manning's contract got done weeks before the cervical fusion surgery, before anyone knew that Manning's condition wasn't getting better at the pace it needed to, and after a lockout that prevented anyone on the team from monitoring Manning's condition.

3) That "Willy Wonka" guy you're talking about has twice made Manning "the highest paid player in the NFL," and Manning has been worth every penny of it. But if Manning isn't healthy, then it makes zero sense for Irsay to continue to pay him so much money. Eventually, Manning won't be able to play anymore and we'll have to move it. This might be sooner than anyone wanted or anticipated -- including Irsay -- but it's probably the right thing to do. Can't keep paying Manning $18 million a year when he's not able to play at that high of a level.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just being blunt, because I honestly don't think you get it. Forgive me, I don't mean to offend. But if Manning can't play at a high level, Irsay has no choice but to terminate the contract, for the good of the franchise. It's the responsible thing to do.

I respect the OP's thoughts but you have to understand this is a business. Words are not set in stone and attitudes change at a the drop of a dime. To be honest, both have crossed lines and have done and said things they should not have, but that's how things go. I think we should appreciate that Irsay is willing to bring Peyton and not giving him the shaft. Yeah, he said what he said, but tell me, would you buy a $28 million car with no type of insurance if you weren't sure if it would perform like a $28 million car or even run at all?

So bottom line is you want them to draft RGIII. Correct?

Allow me to be straight up: You're being ridiculous. You are upset that Manning might be gone (which I am as well), and you're taking it out on Jim Irsay.

1) Irsay deciding not to pick up the option isn't him 'not living up to his word.' The contract was written with an option that would allow Irsay to make this decision. Manning agreed to the contract; matter of fact it was his idea. He has an option; he's not going back on his word. That's nonsense.o

2) Manning's contract got done weeks before the cervical fusion surgery, before anyone knew that Manning's condition wasn't getting better at the pace it needed to, and after a lockout that prevented anyone on the team from monitoring Manning's condition.

3) That "Willy Wonka" guy you're talking about has twice made Manning "the highest paid player in the NFL," and Manning has been worth every penny of it. But if Manning isn't healthy, then it makes zero sense for Irsay to continue to pay him so much money. Eventually, Manning won't be able to play anymore and we'll have to move it. This might be sooner than anyone wanted or anticipated -- including Irsay -- but it's probably the right thing to do. Can't keep paying Manning $18 million a year when he's not able to play at that high of a level.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just being blunt, because I honestly don't think you get it. Forgive me, I don't mean to offend. But if Manning can't play at a high level, Irsay has no choice but to terminate the contract, for the good of the franchise. It's the responsible thing to do

All im saying is that irsay stated many times it would never be about the money. But then he now says when word that manning is getting healthier that he would like to have him back but for less money. There is always a time that the great ones have to call it quits and we as fans have to deal with it. But i honestly think that mann?ing has at least four years of top qb play left in him. Ppl keep saying we must take luck and be set at qb for the next 15 yrs. Whose to say he will even last five. Things happen. He could get hurt or he could decide his football life is over. I think its silly to think he will last as long as peyton. How many players ever last that long. Luck is not the first or the last franchise qb to come out. He isnt a must draft player. I just believe if peyton wants to play he gives. us the best chance. With luck we wont be competing for at least three years

What makes you so sure that manning has all those years left? Because the issue becomes that if we pick up that option, and he doesn't have all those years left, we end up in the 7th circle of salary cap heck. That's not opinion, it's not speculation, it's fact

Now, before you go accusing Irsay of lying about it being about money, it IS at the heart of the matter a health issue. The fact that the health issue ALSO has money issues tied to it, doesn't mean it isn't a health issue.

Payton must be treated with respect, but that is not the same as saying that the franchise need to do what is best for him before they do what is best for the team. The Colts are more important than one player, even Payton Manning. If after getting all the information they believe that letting Payton play his last years on the team is best for the franchise they should do it, but if they don’t believe that it’s the best solution for the team they should not do it just because it's Payton.

Payton must be treated with respect, but that is not the same as saying that the franchise need to do what is best for him before they do what is best for the team. The Colts are more important than one player, even Payton Manning. If after getting all the information they believe that letting Payton play his last years on the team is best for the franchise they should do it, but if they don’t believe that it’s the best solution for the team they should not do it just because it's Payton.

Actually, it's Peyton..

All im saying is that irsay stated many times it would never be about the money. But then he now says when word that manning is getting healthier that he would like to have him back but for less money. There is always a time that the great ones have to call it quits and we as fans have to deal with it. But i honestly think that mann?ing has at least four years of top qb play left in him. Ppl keep saying we must take luck and be set at qb for the next 15 yrs. Whose to say he will even last five. Things happen. He could get hurt or he could decide his football life is over. I think its silly to think he will last as long as peyton. How many players ever last that long. Luck is not the first or the last franchise qb to come out. He isnt a must draft player. I just believe if peyton wants to play he gives. us the best chance. With luck we wont be competing for at least three years

The Manning issue is completely separate from the Luck issue. Even if Manning were perfectly healthy, if we had a chance at Luck, it would only make sense to take him.

Yes, Irsay said it wasn't about the money. That's not entirely true, as we see. Still, shouldn't it be about the money at this point, at least at some level? You're saying that word is that Manning is getting better, but is there any solid evidence of that? Has anyone seen him throw at a high level? Do we have proof that he can play at a level that warrants a $28 million bonus and salaries of $17 million to $20 million for the next four years? There are a lot of "IFs" there, all revolving around money.

And think of this: If Manning's bonus of $28 million is paid, that's real money that the Colts (Read: Irsay) have to pay. Plus, we have Mathis as a free agent, Wayne and Garcon as free agents, we probably want to extend Freeney -- that's probably another $50-60 million in bonus money (Read: real money) that the Colts (Read: Irsay) have to pay this offseason. That's a lot of cabbage for a team to keep together a core that just went 2-14. And that probably precludes you from being able to offer any bonus money to any players to improve your lines or your secondary.

If Manning hadn't missed the entire year with a serious injury, and we had still gone 2-14 and had a shot at Luck, I don't think we'd be talking about the $28 million bonus. Maybe, but I don't think so. The issue here is whether Manning can return to his previous level of play, and if there's a chance, Irsay is willing to pay him. Just not "you're the highest paid player in the NFL" money.

And that makes sense on a fundamental level, even though we're talking about Peyton Manning. It sucks, but it is what it is. Can't pay him a $28 million bonus this year and expect the team to continue to be good. Best case scenario, we go back to 2008 when we had serious holes in our roster and got bounced in the first round to an inferior team. With or without Manning, we have to spend money in other areas. It's not smart football-wise or money-wise to pay that bonus. The only real argument for doing so is because "it's Peyton Manning, and he's the most important player in franchise history!!" And that's not good enough.

Whose to say he will even last five. Things happen. He could get hurt or he could decide his football life is over. I think its silly to think he will last as long as peyton. How many players ever last that long. Luck is not the first or the last franchise qb to come out. He isnt a must draft player. I just believe if peyton wants to play he gives. us the best chance. With luck we wont be competing for at least three years

Right now, there is no question as to Luck's ability to throw.

Right now, there is question as to Manning's ability to throw.

Right now, Luck is not rehabbing from any surgeries.

Right now, Manning is rehabbing from multiple surgeries.

Right now, Luck will be entering the 2012 season at the age of 23.

Right now, Manning will be entering the 2012 season at the age of 36.

Sure, this is professional football, and QBs get injured all the time.

However, are you seriously saying that there is a higher probability that Manning will last another 5 years than Luck?

Right now, there is no question as to Luck's ability to throw.

Right now, there is question as to Manning's ability to throw.

Right now, Luck is not rehabbing from any surgeries.

Right now, Manning is rehabbing from multiple surgeries.

Right now, Luck will be entering the 2012 season at the age of 23.

Right now, Manning will be entering the 2012 season at the age of 36.

Sure, this is professional football, and QBs get injured all the time.

However, are you seriously saying that there is a higher probability that Manning will last another 5 years than Luck?

There is a good chance Luck will be a very good player. A very small chance he will ever be as good as Peyton was in 2010, not to mention the years previous.. Im just glad its not my descion to make. No matter what Irsay does, he will make alot of people upset.

Peyton also said that he would sign an incentive based contract for a team (other than Indy). To me that says that he may not be sure what his condition is either. As a boss that would sure make me sit up and take notice. Especially with $28 mill on the line.

Peyton also said that he would sign an incentive based contract for a team (other than Indy). To me that says that he may not be sure what his condition is either. As a boss that would sure make me sit up and take notice. Especially with $28 mill on the line.

When did he say this? And when did he exclude the Colts from this?

There is a good chance Luck will be a very good player. A very small chance he will ever be as good as Peyton was in 2010, not to mention the years previous.. Im just glad its not my descion to make. No matter what Irsay does, he will make alot of people upset.

My crystal ball shows me differently.

There is an almost guarantee that Luck will be a very good QB.

There is a good chance that Luck will be a PBQB.

There is a fair chance that Luck will be a FHOF QB

It was actually "peytons people" about two weeks ago. I will try to locate a link.

Is this what you read? Got it off a Cardinals site pretty much says what you were talking about.

Peyton Manning Willing To Agree To Incentive-Laden Contract

by Jess Root on Feb 6, 2012 9:00 AM MST in General Arizona Cardinals News

With the offseason now officially here, Peyton Manning Watch will begin. Most are familiar with the situation. He is due a $28 million bonus. As such, combined with his recovering from neck surgery, it looks likely that the Indianapolis Colts will release him before the March 8 date when he is due that money. If that happens, there will be a bunch of interested teams, reportedly including the Arizona Cardinals.

One thing that could be a concern for teams is the contract they would have to offer him to get him to their team. However, it is being reported by ESPN that Manning is willing to work out a contract that includes little or no up-front, guaranteed money.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

his is great news for almost any possible team involved. Manning has been nothing but clear about his intentions to play in 2012, and it seems like he is willing to take the financial risk.

Says the ESPN report:

Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources.

An example of how it would work is that Manning's contract could wind up having a big roster bonus due on the first day of the season, and another big bonus based on the number of games he starts in a season. It is a formula that can be used for the length of the contract, limiting the amount of guaranteed money paid up front and ensuring that Manning would have to play to earn his pay.

This is exactly the type of player that teams will want. Manning will be hungry -- ready to prove he is not done. He is willing to take the financial hit if he is unable to play. That says a lot about he confidence he has in his ability to come back.

If the Cardinals have a chance to acquire him, this is the most telling sign so far that it will be a good move. If they can sign him, they are going to get a guy ready to play at a high level.

Such a contract may also make it possible for the the team to be able to keep <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1342/kevin-kolb">Kevin Kolb around if that is something they wish to do. That might not happen, but at least there might be the flexibility financially to pull it off in the case Manning is not ready to start the season.

Is this what you read? Got it off a Cardinals site pretty much says what you were talking about.

• comment.v8c9bafb.png 12 comments
  • story-email.v0de41d4.gif Email
  • printer.ve30cc85.png Print

With the offseason now officially here, Peyton Manning Watch will begin. Most are familiar with the situation. He is due a $28 million bonus. As such, combined with his recovering from neck surgery, it looks likely that the Indianapolis Colts will release him before the March 8 date when he is due that money. If that happens, there will be a bunch of interested teams, reportedly including the Arizona Cardinals.

One thing that could be a concern for teams is the contract they would have to offer him to get him to their team. However, it is being reported by ESPN that Manning is willing to work out a contract that includes little or no up-front, guaranteed money.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

his is great news for almost any possible team involved. Manning has been nothing but clear about his intentions to play in 2012, and it seems like he is willing to take the financial risk.

Says the ESPN report:

Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources.

An example of how it would work is that Manning's contract could wind up having a big roster bonus due on the first day of the season, and another big bonus based on the number of games he starts in a season. It is a formula that can be used for the length of the contract, limiting the amount of guaranteed money paid up front and ensuring that Manning would have to play to earn his pay.

This is exactly the type of player that teams will want. Manning will be hungry -- ready to prove he is not done. He is willing to take the financial hit if he is unable to play. That says a lot about he confidence he has in his ability to come back.

If the Cardinals have a chance to acquire him, this is the most telling sign so far that it will be a good move. If they can sign him, they are going to get a guy ready to play at a high level.

Such a contract may also make it possible for the the team to be able to keep <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1342/kevin-kolb">Kevin Kolb around if that is something they wish to do. That might not happen, but at least there might be the flexibility financially to pull it off in the case Manning is not ready to start the season.

Yep. It really doesn't come right out and say not Indy but I would think that we would have heard by now if Indy was included

• comment.v8c9bafb.png 12 comments
  • story-email.v0de41d4.gif Email
  • printer.ve30cc85.png Print

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Says the ESPN report:

That article suggests that Manning would be willing to do an incentivized deal in the event he's released by the Colts. It doesn't say he wouldn't do an incentivized deal with the Colts. It's assuming that the only way he'd need to would be if the Colts were deciding to move forward without him. Conjecture, just like most everything else that's being "reported" on this topic.

My crystal ball shows me differently.

There is an almost guarantee that Luck will be a very good QB.

There is a good chance that Luck will be a PBQB.

There is a fair chance that Luck will be a FHOF QB

History would say my theory is more accurate.. But I hope you are right