Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yahoo! Michael Silver: Irsay Moving Forward With Qb Luck

Ohio Colt

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay being professional is an opinion, not a fact, many would argue against that. In fact, he has set himself up to be a liar of epic proportions if Manning turns out to be healthy and he cuts him anyways.

If you had read my entire post and actually realized what I said then you would understand that even if he says he will keep Manning if he is healthy. . he is saying that for professionalism. It gives a good vibe. As opposed to saying "If Manning is not healthy, we are cutting him." Even though they are the same thing.

Heavens forbid Irsay lies to the media. . .my god he should be ashamed! /sarcasm

This is simply not talked about much... Luck can really RUN. He is a threat on the move.

And what really makes him a potential "great" is that he is deadly accurate on the run as well. He has all the tools. Smarts of Peyton, Scrambling ability and accuracry on the run of Rodgers, athletism of Cam Newton. What's not to like about this guy.

How can people be upset with starting anew with Andrew Luck?

And what really makes him a potential "great" is that he is deadly accurate on the run as well. He has all the tools. Smarts of Peyton, Scrambling ability and accuracry on the run of Rodgers, athletism of Cam Newton. What's not to like about this guy.

Right On...

because they don't want to say good bye to Peyton Manning. I think it's less that they don't like Luck it's more that they don't want to lose Peyton.

John Clayton is the only one I have heard bend over backward saying Manning will and should stay in Indy...

Nice link bye the way...

No Clayton has said he should stay in Indy... that it makes the most sense for him. But Clayton said he feels ultimately a divorce will take place, too.

First line in this article is his last take on it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7593973/nfl-peyton-manning-better-staying-indianapolis-colts

because they don't want to say good bye to Peyton Manning. I think it's less that they don't like Luck it's more that they don't want to lose Peyton.

Yes. However, I would go a step further. They don't want to say good bye to PM, and will do anything to prevent any threat that would make PM expendable. This would include hating Luck, and liking Painter.

He's the owner, he can do what he wants to and withstand the fan backlash, there is still a huge waiting list for season tickets so admitting he doesn't want PM would be nothing. As for bringing PM back, where did he go? As far as I know he is still under contract and until told otherwise will be a Colt. Irsay would be a fool to trade the #1 pick, just like he would be if he got rid of Peyton.

It wouldn't be "nothing". He would have the place marker in history as the man who 'ran' PM out of town. He doesn't want that.

Loyalty in Pro sports gets you a decade of L's.....

I don't disagree with you I was just answering the question. I don't think there is any way in the world the Colts can pass on Luck or RG3. If Peyton was 26 or 30 and not coming off missing a full season and facing several questions about his health going forward then I think you could but that isn't the situation.

No Clayton has said he should stay in Indy... that it makes the most sense for him. But Clayton said he feels ultimately a divorce will take place, too.

First line in this article is his last take on it.

http://espn.go.com/n...ianapolis-colts

He with Dakich the other day... Preaching Manning is better off in Indy.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

I don't disagree with you I was just answering the question. I don't think there is any way in the world the Colts can pass on Luck or RG3. If Peyton was 26 or 30 and not coming off missing a full season and facing several questions about his health going forward then I think you could but that isn't the situation.

Oh I know ....

If Manning is healthy LAST season we are not haveing this discussion period. Very unique scenario indeed.

When opportunity knocks.... you better answer. JMO

Because change is scary for some people...much like fire ;)

Not upset with starting anew, just curious why the Colts would have to if "the old" can still do the job. Doesn't it make more sense to have Luck observe and learn a few things before getting into the grinder, it might even extend his career a bit.

He's the owner, he can do what he wants to and withstand the fan backlash, there is still a huge waiting list for season tickets so admitting he doesn't want PM would be nothing. As for bringing PM back, where did he go? As far as I know he is still under contract and until told otherwise will be a Colt. Irsay would be a fool to trade the #1 pick, just like he would be if he got rid of Peyton.

...and there's no real need to do either.

Hence, Pey-Luck

Because that smells like we're an expansion team...

..and I'd like to make the playoffs in 2012...

It wouldn't be "nothing". He would have the place marker in history as the man who 'ran' PM out of town. He doesn't want that.

Granted but when other outstanding quarterbacks like Joe Montana and Brett Favre were "ran out of town" the fans got over it with Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers who each backed up the starters for 2 or more years.

The Colts will probably draft Andrew Luck who has said he wouldn't mind sitting behind PM so other than fans not liking it, why the hurry to start the new guy?

One notable quote from the article:

As one Colts source said earlier this week, “Luck is The Guy. I don’t care what happens [at the combine]. I don’t care if Griffin flies.”

If RGiii could fly, I would fully expect the Colts to take him in the draft :). I also hope this information isn't coming from Rob Lowe.

It doesn't matter who the reporter is unless Peyton or Irsay have become reporters. People said the Colts had made their decision to take Luck as soon as they Colts secured the #1, which is 99% unlikely for any team picking #1 on any player before his combine physical and interview. Again, Peyton, Irsay and Condon are the only reliable sources and they are still talking, and we'll know as soon as they come to an agreement. Also, the notion that the delay is all about saving face, as Freeman over at CBS is reporting, is also just speculation and more than likely bull.

I don't think anyone questions whether or not we are taking Luck. The people who want Manning to stay aren't suggesting otherwise. The REAL truth is, whether or not we take him will have no bearing on whether or not Manning stays. I think that's all the Keep Manning folks are implying. Right now, no one has any inside info, or reliable "proof" one way or the other. There isn't a soul beyond Irsay and Manning who's done anything more than guess.

Keeping Manning will have nothing to do with who we draft.

I agree and I can't see how Colts fans seperate Manning from the Colts to declare themselves Colts fans!? I am a Colts fan and that includes every single person on the roster. Do I understand that some need to go for the Colts to get better? Sure, but it doesn't mean I like it. Then there are some that should stay because they can help the team progress and transition into a better balanced team. PM is one of those players and we don't need to build the team around him to make it work. Even Luck realizes the importance of sitting behind PM for a year or two. Luck don't need to just say that for any reason. He could be drafted and started by numerous teams he doesn't need to be careful what he says. Manning hasn't and wouldn't lie about his injury because he would be found out as soon as he throws for whatever team before they sign him. Mr. Irsay doesn't need to lie either. He fired Pollian and Caldwell with no problem why not PM if he thought it was necessary?

And because we don't want to be stuck in the same situation as we were last season with only one good QB! PM, Luck, Orlovsky is much better than Luck, Orlovsky, Painter.

And because we don't want to be stuck in the same situation as we were last season with only one good QB! PM, Luck, Orlovsky is much better than Luck, Orlovsky, Painter.

ding. winner.

Contingency plans seem to get lost in the conversation. I have a feeling the Colts are looking at this situation. I don't see them reaching out in FA for a qb (well...in an odd way... maybe - see PM). Defense is going to be the main focus, and getting a qb from another team in FA would be a waste of $ imo.

Holding my thoughts until its official. But I know I am going to be right..'tis going to be about the money.

The guy I know who claims to be a source told me the same thing. Expect March 8 to roll around, PM released and Irsay to say it was because they couldn't agree on a contract and $28 million was not an option

Boy, that some guys here really don't bore themselves with selling again and again "Manning's gone" opinions as facts...

Maybe Irsay truly wants Manning back and is just looking for any possible option to have the best of both Manning and Luck. I hope that a decision is about to come because it is really getting on my nerves (and it's a pity how it seems to split Colts fans in two bases which is never good for the future).

But: It would just be fun to see all the "Manning's gone" guys eat their words when Irsay is doing the unexpected (which is not absolutely unlikely taking Irsay's special character into consideration).

Ain't gonna happen. See, if you have the type of personality, and this includes those who state for a fact that Manning will be back, that needs recognition for what you are saying so you make bold statements......that type does not usually want to engage in how they were wrong. A poster could have stated emphatically that PM would not play another down in the NFL 39 times, but they will only make one small admission/apology....if that. Then they will go right on to spewing something else.

Using definitive statements, especially about a subject as sensitive as this one is, is what is creating all the tension around this board. A simple use of the words, "In my opinion", takes all the tension out. But no......people of this type just have to be right.

In a group of people discussing the likelihood of success of, let's say....an attempt to leap a crevasse, there will always be one who interrupts the conversation and states, "You're going to be mush at the bottom", or "No way anyone can make that jump". They could have waited for a break in the conversation and said that, "It's not very likely that anyone could make that jump", but that is not forceful enough.

See how this statement does not create tension? It is their opinion. And it is my opinion, JT, that he will restructure his contract to a three year deal with the full intent on both sides for him to leave after year two.

I share your sentiments. To me, released doesn't mean gone. I'd like to see him re-sign with the Colts. I'm just not 100% sure of all the contract details and if releasing him is absolutely necessary to avoid the massive amount of $$ the Colts would incur. From what I have heard, it's either pay him and restructure, or release and re-sign - OR just cut. nwih they trade him. I personally feel he will restructure, but it will be after he is released. All I know for certain is that my neighbor is giving me h.e.double l. about the whole thing.

they're not taking a QB #1 overall to sit him two years. Take that statement as whatever you want but you can bank on it.

Don Banks (Sports Illustrated) said he got the impression while talking to Irsay that he genuinely wanted PM back; but not beyond a one year 'victory lap' type of deal.

My guess is this is probably accurate--one year for the fans to say goodbye, ready Luck, attendance and team coverage via ESPN is heightened b/c it's Peyton's last year in Indy. And why would PM want to agree to that?

they're not taking a QB #1 overall to sit him two years. Take that statement as whatever you want but you can bank on it.

Don Banks (Sports Illustrated) said he got the impression while talking to Irsay that he genuinely wanted PM back; but not beyond a one year 'victory lap' type of deal.

My guess is this is probably accurate--one year for the fans to say goodbye, ready Luck, attendance and team coverage via ESPN is heightened b/c it's Peyton's last year in Indy. And why would PM want to agree to that?

Because if it happens, and Peyton wins a Super Bowl somehow next year, he will be able to retire the GOAT. No questions asked.

The article said "He almost certainly won’t suit up again for the Colts, and I think by now most Indy fans are at peace with that".

I just dont see that last statement AT ALL

"Thanks, media, for telling me how to feel about the whole situation" :facepalm:

on a side note, I think my memory foam pillow has alzheimer's - my neck is sore.