Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin

chad72

Have any of you heard if the Colts have attempted to re-sign Melvin in any way? That guy flat out balled for us this year.

He is one guy I'd love to have back, not sure what the asking price would be though. Would it be in the $4-5 mil. range?

Thoughts??

Ballard did pay Jack Doyle $19 mil. over 3 years for his first contract of that type (player looking for his first big contract after a very good year of production). 

So I can see a 4 yr $24 mil. offered by Ballard, and let Melvin hit the market if he wants to top that.

36 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Have any of you heard if the Colts have attempted to re-sign Melvin in any way? That guy flat out balled for us this year.

He is one guy I'd love to have back, not sure what the asking price would be though. Would it be in the $4-5 mil. range?

Thoughts??

There are not many quality cornerbacks on the FA market this year.    

I think we're looking at least 7-8 mill per,  and maybe more.   The Law of Supply and Demand might push him up higher.

I hope it doesn't reach 10 mill per.   I'd be happy if we signed him to 4/36.    9 mill per.

For those who don't want to go that high, ask yourself this....   who will we get to replace Melvin?    Who in FA?    Who and how in the draft?    It's easier said than done.    Guys get paid this time of year.    Melvin is going to get paid.   At his age, this is it!    I hope we pay him.   I want him on the Colts, and not with another team.

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ballard did pay Jack Doyle $19 mil. over 3 years for his first contract of that type (player looking for his first big contract after a very good year of production). 

So I can see a 4 yr $24 mil. offered by Ballard, and let Melvin hit the market if he wants to top that.

Ballard should offer him the same deal he gave Doyle. Not sure Ballard will be comfortable going more three years on a guy who will basically be playing his age 29 season.

But Melvin hired Rosenhaus, so he wants to get paid. It's going to be interesting.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are not many quality cornerbacks on the FA market this year.    

I think we're looking at least 7-8 mill per,  and maybe more.   The Law of Supply and Demand might push him up higher.

I hope it doesn't reach 10 mill per.   I'd be happy if we signed him to 4/36.    9 mill per.

For thise who don't want to go that high, ask yourself this....   who will we get to replace Melvin?    Who in FA?    Who and how in the draft?    It's easier said than done.    Guys get paid this time of year.    Melvin is going to get paid.   At his age, thus is it!    I hope we pay him.   I want him on the Colts, and not with another team.

Yep...he's going to want $9-10M. I am not comfortable with that. 

In FA, there's not much. I like Kyle Fuller, but I am not sure if he will hit FA. 

The draft is a possibility...with someone like Fitzpatrick, who could be this draft's Jalen Ramsey. Trading back from #3 to #6 and getting Fitzpatrick would be just fine with me. 

Or if they trade back beyond later (I hope they don't), Ward or Jackson could be options.

36 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...he's going to want $9-10M. I am not comfortable with that. 

In FA, there's not much. I like Kyle Fuller, but I am not sure if he will hit FA. 

The draft is a possibility...with someone like Fitzpatrick, who could be this draft's Jalen Ramsey. Trading back from #3 to #6 and getting Fitzpatrick would be just fine with me. 

Or if they trade back beyond later (I hope they don't), Ward or Jackson could be options.

There are rwo problems with Fitzpatrick with our first.    One, can he play corner in the NFL or is his best spot at safety?

Two, even if he CAN play corner, you've just spent your first round pick on a position that you could've addressed either the OL or the pass rush with Chubb.

And all because of money.    I think that's short sighted.   Sign Melvin and use your first pick on a lineman or pass rush.

By the way...  I'm NOT for signing Melvin at any price.   I think 10 per is my ceiling for him.   Remember, Ryan got 3/30 from Tennessee last year.   That helps to set the market.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

There are rwo irobkems with Fitzpatrick with our first.    One, can he okay corner in the NFL or is his best spot at safety?

Two, even if he CAN play corner, you've just spent your first round pick on a position that you could've addressed either the OL or the pass rush with Chubb.

And all because of money.    I think that's short sighted.    Sign Melvin and use your first pick on a lineman or pass rush.

By the way...  I'm NOT for signing Melvin at any price.   I think 10 per is my ceiling for him.   Remember, Ryan got 3/30 from Tennessee last year.   That helps to set the market.

NCF...you drunk already today?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts??

With the Colts' coaching situation as it is, with JM having to focus on the Pats remaining game(s), they make not be in a hurry to negotiate contract extensions. When do player's NFL contracts for the 2017 season expire and FA negotiation allowed? I would like to get Melvin back myself but not at any price. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are rwo irobkems with Fitzpatrick with our first.    One, can he okay corner in the NFL or is his best spot at safety?

And all because of money.    I think that's short sighted.    Sign Melvin and use your first pick on a lineman or pass rush.

I am not taking Fitzpatrick at #3. But if I got a good tradeback deal to #6 and he is the BPA, I would be all over it. This would of course assume that Chubb is off the board and Fitzpatrick is rated above someone like Key.

I see a lot of parallels between Ramsey and Fitzpatrick. Ramsely also had a lot of the same questions before the draft. Like Fitzpatrick, he was a very talented and versatile DB . But no one knew for certain what he would play.

Well, Ramsey said he wanted to be a CB in the NFL...and the rest is history.

And both are incredible athletes. We all saw Ramsey blow up the Combine...but reportedly, Fitzpatrick ran a blazing sub 4.4 40 yard this past summer and had a 37.4" vertical (!) coming out of high school. And that is without someone training him for these drills. So I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Indy in early March and cements himself as a top 3 player in the draft.

I have been skeptical about Bama DBs in the past, but Fitzpatrick is special. And even if he didn't end up as a shutdown CB on the boundary, his versatility would allow the Colts to play him all over...and would make for an incredible pairing with Hooker. 

10 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

4-5 mil? Forget that. His agent is Rosenhaus and he's coming off a career year. He's more likely to ask for 8-10 mil. I'd be very hesitant to hand him that contract. If he asks for that(or more), let him walk.

Right. This is likely his only chance at that big contract.   He’s going to the highest bidder, and you can’t blame him.  He’s gone.  

Sign Desir, continue to develop White and Moore.  With Wilson and Hairston, we’re fine.  

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Right. This is likely his only chance at that big contract.   He’s going to the highest bidder, and you can’t blame him.  He’s gone.  

Sign Desir, continue to develop White and Moore.  With Wilson and Hairston, we’re fine.  

Yep, but I'd probably sign another CB in free agency. Someone like EJ Gaines.

Yeah I wouldn't want to give him anything more than a few years, $7ish mil per at most.

I'd rather lose him to another team willing to pay than get stuck with a guy who very possibly might regress from this season, and not to mention is nearing 30. Which, he's been a pretty healthy guy throughout his career, but a lot of DB's these days just seem to lose "it" around that age, and fast.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

He might get more from someone else, and I'm fine with that. 

I agree that's top 25 money ... if you look who that puts him in line with ... who signed last offseason...

Brandon Carr 31 - 4/23.5 - 4 guaranteed

Captain Munnerlyn  29 - 4/17.5 - 8.8 guaranteed

If he wants top 10-15 type money let him walk.

6 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Those are some high salary guesses in my opinion. I could possibly see $4-5M per year deal. Perhaps a $20M/4 Year deal for Melvin. We paid Darius Butler pennies back when he was playing good football for us.

I think that's probably the floor; where the bidding starts.

Melvin has leverage.   Fans hate when the player has leverage.   They love it when their favorite team has the leverage, but not the player.    

We don't have many options...   I don't want to be penny-wise and pound foolish. I don't want to pinch pennies when we have huge money to throw at Free Agency this year.    Spend it.   Show players that we will reward players who improve and play well.     If we have other options,  ok,  but I don't see them.

Offer the man a 4 year, 32 million contract but make the first two years guaranteed and the rest essentially a team-option. That way, man gets paid and there is a potential for him to stick around for 4 years and the team gets flexibility after a couple of years.

Anything more would be too much.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

My offer is three years, $22.5m, with $10m guaranteed. 

I feel that if Ballard does go to the $8 mil. threshold, it will be only for 3 years. So, I think you will be right on the 3 years part, he may end up with $24 mil. for 3 years with $12 mil. guaranteed, I can see that happening. He is not Vontae Davis, who got $39 mil. for 4 years but I think Melvin will take $24 mil. for 3 years if he gets it from us. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I feel that if Ballard does go to the $8 mil. threshold, it will be only for 3 years. So, I think you will be right on the 3 years part, he may end up with $24 mil. for 3 years with $12 mil. guaranteed, I can see that happening. He is not Vontae Davis, who got $39 mil. for 4 years but I think Melvin will take $24 mil. for 3 years if he gets it from us. 

If that's the counter, I can handle that. 

1 hour ago, MariGOATa said:

Yes. He’s name is Josh McDaniels.

lol. If you are going to come be apart of the Colts forums as a Titans fan by all means contribute, ask questions, compare, and healthy debate.

Do NOT come here as a new member of a division rival to troll and stir the pot. If you love McDaniels so much you are on the wrong team my friend. Just throwing that out there