Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Really Love This Mack Kid.

Dark Superman

I've been on the Marlon Mack bandwagon for about a year now and was thrilled when the Colts snagged him in the 4th round of the 2017 NFL Draft. I went back and watched some of his highlights during the season and fell even more in love with him. I watched him make plays with his speed, vision, hands, and ability to make defenders miss. He's such a smooth runner and can change direction on the dime. I feel like he runs quicker than people gave him credit for and probably runs a high 4.4 even with pads on. I watched him rip off a few long runs against the Jaguars, and he did that behind a bad offensive line.

If the Colts end up drafting Saquon Barkley I would be all for it. Marlon Mack isn't Saquon Barkley and we all know that. He's the type of player who can come in off the bench and split carries with someone since he's not built to carry the ball 25-30 times a game. He's a more durable back, who can come in off the bench with a fresh set of legs and make people miss or make them pay with his speed. Saquon Barkley could be our bell cow and Mack would make for an exceptional #2 guy.

Even if the Colts don't land Saquon, they will have their pick at a few stud backs early in the second round if they choose. If Chris Ballard can put some more weapons and talent around Luck I believe Mack is going to be one of those players who will have a breakout season in 2018 (Even in a limited role)

He's the kind of guy who always seems to find the end zone and that is something we need on this offense. I think a lot of you should be excited that this kid fell to us in the draft because I see so much potential in him.

I did see the flashes of skill and talent that we all hoped he would have but I did feel he was quite inconsistent and, even from a fairly untrained eye, you could see he was struggling with pass protection, which is such a huge part of the game in the current era.

As you mention, he is not going to be a 3-down back but he certainly has the traits to be an exciting weapon for us and I am hoping that, as you see with a lot of rookies, the "flashes" turn into more consistent production next year as he gets more used to the league.

It goes without saying that, if Ballard can improve the O-line like we all hope by use of the draft, FA or both, then that should make a big difference to Mack also.

I think he did pretty well running between the tackles later on in the season.  That last game against the Texans he showed he sure as heck can break tackles.  For a rookie in bland scheme, backup QB, banged up and average at best OL.  I'm not really sure what people expected from him.  He had a better average than Gore, only fumbled the ball once, and face palmed the crap out of JC.  He averaged 10 yards per reception.  Couldn't imagine how much better he could be with a functional OL and Luck back. 

And remember he actually scored a touchdown the very first time he touched the ball in his career. He scored on that play against the rams but instead of challenging the play the Colts hurried up and ran a quick play from first and goal from the one. Ran 2 more then kicked a field goal. Kind of set the tone for the whole season. Then Pagano capped the day off in his postgame press conference by saying we had just lost to the 49ers. But, I was very impressed with Mack this whole season

Kid is going to be very good if he continues to improve. He’s dynamic in space. He needs to work on his pass pro, vision, and hands, but if he ever becomes good in one of those aspects he becomes a really good player. 

Tevin Coleman in Atlanta struggled catching the ball his first year in the league, but in his second year, his hands improved tremendously and he became a huge weapon for Atlanta both in the passing game and in the running game and is a big reason they made the super bowl a year ago. I could easily see Mack making a similar jump.

If he ever puts all together, he could be like a Jamal Charles type back imo. 

I’m confused why he can’t be an every down back? Is it his size because there are many backs in this league with the same size as him..his faults have been pass protection and A lot of runs he was hit behind the line before he even began..yeah I know you’ll say well gore avoided that but gores 10+ year vet who’s had ELITE VISION since college  Mack wasn’t the kind of back gore was in college but there’s no certainty to say he can’t be an every down back once he learns how to pass protect and has time to work on his vision 

6 hours ago, Two_pound said:

And remember he actually scored a touchdown the very first time he touched the ball in his career. He scored on that play against the rams but instead of challenging the play the Colts hurried up and ran a quick play from first and goal from the one. Ran 2 more then kicked a field goal. Kind of set the tone for the whole season. Then Pagano capped the day off in his postgame press conference by saying we had just lost to the 49ers. But, I was very impressed with Mack this whole season

A positive thread at last.....but we can still find room to bash Chuck. Just let it go for Trump sake.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:33 AM, KING. said:

I've been on the Marlon Mack bandwagon for about a year now and was thrilled when the Colts snagged him in the 4th round of the 2017 NFL Draft. I went back and watched some of his highlights during the season and fell even more in love with him. I watched him make plays with his speed, vision, hands, and ability to make defenders miss. He's such a smooth runner and can change direction on the dime. I feel like he runs quicker than people gave him credit for and probably runs a high 4.4 even with pads on. I watched him rip off a few long runs against the Jaguars, and he did that behind a bad offensive line.

If the Colts end up drafting Saquon Barkley I would be all for it. Marlon Mack isn't Saquon Barkley and we all know that. He's the type of player who can come in off the bench and split carries with someone since he's not built to carry the ball 25-30 times a game. He's a more durable back, who can come in off the bench with a fresh set of legs and make people miss or make them pay with his speed. Saquon Barkley could be our bell cow and Mack would make for an exceptional #2 guy.

Even if the Colts don't land Saquon, they will have their pick at a few stud backs early in the second round if they choose. If Chris Ballard can put some more weapons and talent around Luck I believe Mack is going to be one of those players who will have a breakout season in 2018 (Even in a limited role)

He's the kind of guy who always seems to find the end zone and that is something we need on this offense. I think a lot of you should be excited that this kid fell to us in the draft because I see so much potential in him.

Scat back.

13 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I think he did pretty well running between the tackles later on in the season.  That last game against the Texans he showed he sure as heck can break tackles.  For a rookie in bland scheme, backup QB, banged up and average at best OL.  I'm not really sure what people expected from him.  He had a better average than Gore, only fumbled the ball once, and face palmed the crap out of JC.  He averaged 10 yards per reception.  Couldn't imagine how much better he could be with a functional OL and Luck back. 

His YPC wasn't that much higher than Gore's .