Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report : Jim Irsay Wants Jim Harbaugh to Coach Colts

Horseshoe

Usually Id dismiss as unlikely but Peter King is probably one of most reliable sources in the NFL. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/buffalo-bills-playoffs-black-monday-jon-gruden-mmqb-peter-king

Indianapolis, ideally, wants a long-term partner for Andrew Luck with a presence to coach the entire team, not half of it. The rumor that will never go away is that owner Jim Irsay longs to hire old Colts QB Jim Harbaugh as his head coach. But the domineering Harbaugh, I believe, would be an ill fit with Luck and GM Chris Ballard

I do think Jim wants a big hire, if he gets it or not is a different question. Jim Harbaugh would be my number one choice, I just don't see him leaving though.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Kind of misleading.  King is just recirculating a rumor that has been around since Harbaugh was on thin ice in SF.

Disagree, Peter usually checks his sources for rumours and doesn't typically "recirculate" old stuff. Last year the whole chase was for Gruden not Harbaugh.  In the very least, they will reach out and imo, Harbaugh will decline.

7 minutes ago, Horseshoe said:

Disagree, Peter usually checks his sources for rumours and doesn't typically "recirculate" old stuff. Last year the whole chase was for Gruden not Harbaugh.  In the very least, they will reach out and imo, Harbaugh will decline.

Maybe. I just assumed he would claim to have a source if he had one.

i agree Harbaugh would decline anyway.

53 minutes ago, Horseshoe said:

Usually Id dismiss as unlikely but Peter King is probably one of most reliable sources in the NFL. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/buffalo-bills-playoffs-black-monday-jon-gruden-mmqb-peter-king

I do think Jim wants a big hire, if he gets it or not is a different question. Jim Harbaugh would be my number one choice, I just don't see him leaving though.

Oh look this rumor again......

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I'd prefer Nagy. 

I'd take a chance on a guy who can coach for Andy Ried and never failed as a HC than a guy who gets along with BB and failed his first time as a HC.  

BB failed as a HC his first go around also

22 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Colts already lining up interviews with Nagy, Toub, and McDaniels. Hub Arkush reporting. 

Well this oughta be interesting 

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well yeah..... but look at Del Rio.... he's failed now twice at HC so doesn't that mean it's a wash?

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You know the difference between the first failed HC jobs for Carroll and B.B.?  On their second jobs they had Wilson and Brady.  

I’m not advocating anyone, just stating the obvious.  It’s a lot easier to be a HC when you have a franchise QB on your team.  

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

I can't see it. If he leaves Michigan now that pretty much ruins a lot of credibility he has left as of finishing the job he started.  But money talks.  

Hes had problems recruiting at the school up north, but he’s done pretty well with what he had.  He’s finally getting a good QB, so I doubt he’d leave.  

As as far as money, he’s well compensated there.  

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Hes had problems recruiting at the school up north, but he’s done pretty well with what he had.  He’s finally getting a good QB, so I doubt he’d leave.  

As as far as money, he’s well compensated there.  

Yeah he's getting a huge paycheck up in Michigan.  This is why I had coaching job from a place like Michigan to the NFL is just a lateral move.  The paycheck he is getting is just as big as in the NFL head coaching paycheck.  The fan base is just as big if not bigger than NFL franchises.

I don't see him leaving Michigan for the NFL again.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, in the only time they made the playoffs, they beat the Patriots.   

He’s still the best coach they had in the last 27 years.  

Browns had one outlier season about 15 years ago with our old backup Kelly Holcomb I believe. 

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Browns had one outlier season about 15 years ago with our old backup Kelly Holcomb I believe. 

They did, under Butch Davis.  My buddies are suffering Browns fans and we often wonder how a team can draft so high for so many years be so pathetic.  Ownership.  

The Jags finally turned it around.  If the Browns can ever get a stabilizing force like Coughlin, they can do it too.  

12 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

They made the playoffs, then Modell decided to pull the rug and announce the move. They never recovered from there.

Nobody is using that excuse for Del Rio.  BB just didn't get it done.

1 hour ago, Horseshoe said:

"The rumor that will never go away".  That is, by definition, recirculating. :)

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They did, under Butch Davis.  My buddies are suffering Browns fans and we often wonder how a team can draft so high for so many years be so pathetic.  Ownership.  

The Jags finally turned it around.  If the Browns can ever get a stabilizing force like Coughlin, they can do it too.  

Hiring John Dorsey was a good first step, but ownership has reportedly hamstrung him with hue jackson for one more yr.

As you guys know I love Jim Harbaugh as a Player and Coach. I have an autograph picture of him that I got back in 1996 and met him. His 1995 Season will never be forgotten, his Coaching ability speaks for itself is the important thing. He took SF to 3 straight NFC Title Games and a SB with Alex Smith/Colin Kaep at QB. SF stunk before he got there and they have stunk since he has left. I hope this rumor is true because I would hire him in a split second. If he doesn't leave Michigan, I am ok with Toub or Nagy as well.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Nobody is using that excuse for Del Rio.  BB just didn't get it done.

I hate to defend B.B. because we all know he and Tom Brady surely must have sold their souls.   

But he was was starting to turn things around in Cleveland.   He took them to the playoffs and they started the next year really well.  Then the move rumors started and players and coaches freaked.  You can’t blame them, they had families, homes, etc, and were all in a state of confusion.  

BB was told he’d coach the Ravens, but Modell lied about that too.  They did okay a few years later though.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I hate to defend B.B. because we all know he and Tom Brady surely must have sold their souls.   

But he was was starting to turn things around in Cleveland.   He took them to the playoffs and they started the next year really well.  Then the move rumors started and players and coaches freaked.  You can’t blame them, they had families, homes, etc, and were all in a state of confusion.  

BB was told he’d coach the Ravens, but Modell lied about that too.  They did okay a few years later though.  

The raiders announced their move to Vegas and nobody is using that excuse for del Rio. I think people are just looking back in hindsight and giving BB an out.

Plus, I'm not convinced the Browns were on the right track for long term success.  It took Ozzie Newsome remaking the roster to turn them into a contender.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

The raiders announced their move to Vegas and nobody is using that excuse for del Rio. I think people are just looking back in hindsight and giving BB an out.

Plus, I'm not convinced the Browns were on the right track for long term success.  It took Ozzie Newsome remaking the roster to turn them into a contender.

Raiders have three years to make the move.  The Browns didn’t really get the official word until the middle of the season.  Huge difference.  

Watch the BB story on ESPN sometime.   Moot points.   

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Raiders have three years to make the move.  The Browns didn’t really get the official word until the middle of the season.  Huge difference.  

Watch the BB story on ESPN sometime.   Moot points.   

I don't see the big deal about the announcement. Leaving Cleveland wouldn't exactly bring a tear to my eye.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

They did, under Butch Davis.  My buddies are suffering Browns fans and we often wonder how a team can draft so high for so many years be so pathetic.  

Because draft choices are lottery tickets \..You can miss on them just as soon as you can hit.

Jacksonville missed on a lot but they didn't miss on free agency.....(see Calais Campbell)

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As you guys know I love Jim Harbaugh as a Player and Coach. I have an autograph picture of him that I got back in 1996 and met him. His 1995 Season will never be forgotten, his Coaching ability speaks for itself is the important thing. He took SF to 3 straight NFC Title Games and a SB with Alex Smith/Colin Kaep at QB. SF stunk before he got there and they have stunk since he has left. I hope this rumor is true because I would hire him in a split second. If he doesn't leave Michigan, I am ok with Toub or Nagy as well.

The 49ers didn’t stink when he arrived there.  He walked into the 13th ranked D which included the 6th best against the run, and a 2010 draft which gave them Iupati and Bowman.  The roster had Gore, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Dashon Goldson, and maybe the best MLB since Ray in Willis.  And Lee and Akers were solid in special teams.  That was a team who had a foundation of an identity in place.   Run the ball, play D, and don’t ever be afraid to punt.   That 2011 team, Jim’s first,  had 9 Pro Bowl players, 7 of which were already on the roster pre-Jim.  The other two were free agent pick ups. He wasn’t a miracle worker.  He was the perfect chef for the ingredients already at the house.  And when the ingredients ran out two years later, there was no magic left.  

The Colts roster is the antithesis of what Harbaugh is and does.