Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck to Address Media after Friday Practice

Steamboat_Shaun

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Chris Mortenson being critical of Luck is not exactly a media storm.

I so far see nothing negative on ESPN or NFL.com. about Luck.

It’s not national but Doyle went after him from what I saw.  With that said Doyle likes to stir the pot rather there is something in it or not.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Taking steroids or HGH is not illegal.  So if he did, he was right in saying that he didn't do anything that would be illegal here.  Having the blood taken out, adding oxygen and some juice, then returning it to the body involves no "injections".

He does look bigger and healthier than he did when he was on the sidelines.

The fact that he still has pain at this point is bothersome.

It's illegal in the NFL.   Using them can lead to a suspension.    They are considered performance enhancing drugs.

1 hour ago, MightyLucks said:

Colts fans. Read this and step back from th ledge. It’s going to be ok 

http://kentsterling.com/2017/12/30/no-injections-or-surgery-colts-andrew-luck-told-the-truth-about-trip-to-the-netherlands/

I like that much better than Doyle’s article saying he wants to believe him but can’t.   Essentially calling him a liar.  

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think that there is a typical protocol in shoulder treatment, just like most anything (auto repair, plumbing, etc...)

First, check to see if nonoperational medical management is possible or appropriate.  Next, perform SLAP repair in the event of nonoperative management failure.  Finally, then consider biceps tenodesis in the event the subject does not tolerate recovery from SLAP very well.

We are still in the recovery toleration phase.  Since AL doesn't appear to want an arthroscope performed to definitively see if there is still structural damage in his shoulder, then we have to wait for him to get back on and progress through a complete throwing program once more, and do so without the recurrence of pain.

If biceps tenodesis is needed, it will once more be at least 6 months recovery rehab for Andrew.  

I see a few here that complain why didn't Luck have the biceps tenodesis surgery along with the SLAP?  I'll point out a few items people do not know about it, then once understood, see why or why not one would have this done.

Biceps Tenodesis is the removal of the biceps attachment from the labrum and reattaching it to the upper humerus.  In doing so-

Pain from the SLAP lesion or biceps tendonitis is severely reduced/eliminated (true)

Changes the mechanics of the shoulder!

Decreases translational and rotational stability of the humeral joint, with an increase of superior humeral head  migration of over 15%

My questions regards will this increased instability lead to rotator cuff fatigue and/or accelerated degenerative changes.  And how will it manifest in on the field performance?

Then there are others that believe there is possible increase in humeral fractures-

https://mikereinold.com/humeral-fracture-following-biceps-tenodesis-baseball-pitcher/

As a final thought, here are thoughts from Dr. James Andrews on the subject-

** Noted orthopedist, Dr. James Andrews was recently asked about the biceps and the potential for biceps tenodesis, to which he replied “The biceps is there for a purpose — it’s too intrinsically associated with the shoulder joint.  Until we know what the real function of it is, we’re stabbing in the dark.”  When asked if a biceps tenodesis is the answer to athletes returning to sport, similar to a Tommy John procedure, he replied “With Tommy John surgery, we’re actually restoring anatomy. In the case of biceps tenodesis, you’re deleting anatomy.” **

Hmm, yeah.  I'm not a fan of 'if it hurts, cut it off' either.  LOL

I wish A.L. would have already had a diagnostic Arthroscope by now. We would all know so much more than we do right now, for certain.

Fantastic post and completely agree re: the diagnostic scope.  It would be the most straightforward way to assess the best plan of action going forward.

It seems like Luck is surgery-averse, which is understandable. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Good information to know.

So you did have some negative thoughts at times? I know I did with a long recovery time especially when strong pain pills were involved. Those themselves are a problem all their own.

You bet ya first thing they tell you is there is a blank  percentage  that you may not throw again, based on damage, age & the plain fact it's surgery! As went along the first surgery standard percentage 20%  chance you may not throw again, 100% chance you won't throw again if you don't do rehab! I went to 2 therapist that have worked with many athletes including pro baseball and football players! I was lucky enough that the time I went there there was a major league pitcher going through the same thing and was further along than I was, I was just starting that helped talking about the process and what to expect but until you go threw it everything ever little pull tug or pain your mind says the operation didn't work, or I just tore it again, or push threw scar tissue and you wonder if will ever stop! Once you are strong enough, have flexibility back, can throw with any  velocity or distance you start to think you might be ok! That's a long way from the start of a  throwing  program trying to throw 15 to 20 feet like you have since when you were a kid and the first ball goes 5 feet short and 10 feet wide! That's scary you lose all muscle memory of throwing as your self   Analyzing your shoulder for pain! I did this playing softball not football ! Although you dive for ball and throw I don't throw 30 times a game and have 300 pound guys landing on me!  I am not surprised he didn't play this year after I heard the date of his surgery! They had Andrew on an  aggressive timetable  hoping everything would go well! Not much in life goes perfect! He's going to be fine IMO the length of time will  benefit him in the long run! There will be some rust early but hey he is Andrew Luck! And the team played lots of young guys, & get a very high draft pick! This years pain will probaley turn into long term gain!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's illegal in the NFL.   Using them can lead to a suspension.    They are considered performance enhancing drugs.

The term used by the NFL is banned.  They are substances banned by the NFL.  But taking HGH and steriods is legal in the USA.  To say that nothing illegal happened is like saying nothing at all, as it pertains to PEDs.

I'm not suggesting anything, but instead of parsing words he could have simply said that the trip "didn't involve HGH, steroids, or any substance banned by the the NFL".  That would have addressed the point more clearly.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think that there is a typical protocol in shoulder treatment, just like most anything (auto repair, plumbing, etc...)

First, check to see if nonoperational medical management is possible or appropriate.  Next, perform SLAP repair in the event of nonoperative management failure.  Finally, then consider biceps tenodesis in the event the subject does not tolerate recovery from SLAP very well.

We are still in the recovery toleration phase.  Since AL doesn't appear to want an arthroscope performed to definitively see if there is still structural damage in his shoulder, then we have to wait for him to get back on and progress through a complete throwing program once more, and do so without the recurrence of pain.

If biceps tenodesis is needed, it will once more be at least 6 months recovery rehab for Andrew.  

I see a few here that complain why didn't Luck have the biceps tenodesis surgery along with the SLAP?  I'll point out a few items people do not know about it, then once understood, see why or why not one would have this done.

Biceps Tenodesis is the removal of the biceps attachment from the labrum and reattaching it to the upper humerus.  In doing so-

Pain from the SLAP lesion or biceps tendonitis is severely reduced/eliminated (true)

Decreases translational and rotational stability of the humeral joint, with an increase of superior humeral head  migration of over 15%

My questions regards will this increased instability lead to rotator cuff fatigue and/or accelerated degenerative changes.  And how will it manifest in on the field performance?

Then there are others that believe there is possible increase in humeral fractures-

https://mikereinold.com/humeral-fracture-following-biceps-tenodesis-baseball-pitcher/

** Noted orthopedist, Dr. James Andrews was recently asked about the biceps and the potential for biceps tenodesis, to which he replied “The biceps is there for a purpose — it’s too intrinsically associated with the shoulder joint.  Until we know what the real function of it is, we’re stabbing in the dark.”  When asked if a biceps tenodesis is the answer to athletes returning to sport, similar to a Tommy John procedure, he replied “With Tommy John surgery, we’re actually restoring anatomy. In the case of biceps tenodesis, you’re deleting anatomy.” **

I wish A.L. would have already had a diagnostic Arthroscope by now. We would all know so much more than we do right now, for certain.

If I even pretended to suggest I understood what you have posted here, CB FL...I'd be arrested for lying

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The term used by the NFL is banned.  They are substances banned by the NFL.  But taking HGH and steriods is legal in the USA.  To say that nothing illegal happened is like saying nothing at all, as it pertains to PEDs.

I'm not suggesting anything, but instead of parsing words he could have simply said that the trip "didn't involve HGH, steroids, or any substance banned by the the NFL".  That would have addressed the point more clearly.

I know it's legal in the USA to take them.

You and I or anyone else can take them.

But it's still BANNED by the NFL.   Period.

I would've preferred a much more candid and revealing Andrew Luck.    I think this was the worst news conference he's ever given.   He's losing control if his own message by not giving out any coherent information.  Huge mistake.

But none of that means he's using a banned substance.  

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know it's legal in the USA to take them.

You and I or anyone else can take them.

But it's still BANNED by the NFL.   Period.

I would've preferred a much more candid and revealing Andrew Luck.    I think this was the worst news conference he's ever given.   He's losing control if his own message by not giving out any coherent information.  Huge mistake.

But none of that means he's using a banned substance.  

I wouldn't care if he did.  I don't think that using them to heal from a slow healing repair should be a big deal for the NFL, but it is.  Its still is no way a character issue for me.

Illegal refers to laws established by legislative bodies.  The NFL uses the term banned.  Luck probably knows the difference in the words. 

He's always a bit of a painful public speaker, so he can get away with casual usage of important words.

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

That's not as dramatic as it looks.  It's like those before and after programs for fitness clinics.  Anything looks bigger with a tighter shirt, and everything looks bigger when superimposed on a dark background rather than a bright one.  It's one of the oldest tricks in advertising, color scheme has a massive effect on human perception and these 2 pictures are almost a case study of that.

I mean it's obvious that he's a little bigger, but the difference is nowhere near as dramatic as the color scheme makes you think.

The only difference I see in that picture is the guy on the right has maybe 10 more pounds of spare fat from not playing. That's not a bad thing either, a little extra padding can even prevent injury if you don't overdo it.  

Bulking up can be dangerous during recovery from certain surgeries and I hope he's attending to strengthening his joints as well as the big muscles, that's the mistake that can cause your own body to tear itself apart.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

If I even pretended to suggest I understood what you have posted here, CB FL...I'd be arrested for lying

LOL, NP.

tldr version....

Though while some here say there is no dispute about biceps tenodesis w/SLAP  (Superior Labrum, Anterior Posterior- which means top of labrum, front to back) repair, this post says 'slow the roll', maybe there is some dispute, at times. and Luck/Safran should not be vilified for not having done it.  IMHO.

11 hours ago, George Peterson said:

That's not as dramatic as it looks.  It's like those before and after programs for fitness clinics.  Anything looks bigger with a tighter shirt, and everything looks bigger when superimposed on a dark background rather than a bright one.  It's one of the oldest tricks in advertising, color scheme has a massive effect on human perception and these 2 pictures are almost a case study of that.

I mean it's obvious that he's a little bigger, but the difference is nowhere near as dramatic as the color scheme makes you think.

And how about now?

20 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hmm, mort was saying the procedure would be reattaching the tendon to another spot on the labrum, not the the humerous.  Im not doctor, I'm just parroting what he said on the dan Dalich show.

My most fact-less, baseless, gut remark is that the guy just looks like he's working his way out of a depression. He looks mentally exhausted like he just had gone through so much pressure, thoughts, messages going through his mind. But his time in Europe seems to have potentially done just as much for his mind as it has physically. 

My other thoughts were that he said a few weird things (not rare our favorite awkward QB). Such as his comment about not being able to see the positive in anything in early December. He could be referencing so many things, but it makes you wonder what aspects he's really referring too. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Hmm, mort was saying the procedure would be reattaching the tendon to another spot on the labrum, not the the humerous.  Im not doctor, I'm just parroting what he said on the dan Dalich show.

Again, I've not heard/read the interview, nor how he worded his thoughts. Nevertheless, from your understanding, he has in some fashion mislead once more.  Once the biceps tendon is disconnected from it's insertion at the labrum, it is reattached to the humerus bone down lower in some fashion (there are a few different techniques here to do this). Not reattached back on to the labrum.

(I'll insert this, just to prove I know some about this stuff...  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16325079 )

Having read many articles from many M.D.'s on it, I (personally, as a forum member opinion only) am skeptical of it being performed casually on any overhead throwing athlete, and maybe any person under the age of around 45; unless a true biceps dysfunction is also indicated/involved.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm 5'8, 180 pounds, and Luck looks smaller than me in the left picture. The difference is night and day.

That is what I am too 5'8 but I weigh 190 or so, hey I am older so have put on some weight over the years lmao . Having said that, in the Pic on the right he looks like he did in 2014. In the pic on the left I look heavier than he does.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I am too 5'8 but I weigh 190 or so, hey I am older so have put on some weight over the years lmao . Having said that, in the Pic on the right he looks like he did in 2014. In the pic on the left I look heavier than he does.

Yep, Luck looks like he lost all of his muscle mass in the left picture, almost anorexic of someone his normal size. He was in no shape to play this year, and that picture would of made it obvious from the start, never mind adding the injury. Lets hope everything is fine with him. We can have a great draft with a top 3 pick, get Luck back, and start becoming a playoff team once again. Looking forward to having fun on draft day without the worry of needing a QB, and a NFL season next year where we can make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl once again.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, Luck looks like he lost all of his muscle mass in the left picture, almost anorexic of someone his normal size. He was in no shape to play this year, and that picture would of made it obvious from the start, never mind adding the injury. Lets hope everything is fine with him. We can have a great draft with a top 3 pick, get Luck back, and start becoming a playoff team once again. Looking forward to having fun on draft day without the worry of needing a QB, and a NFL season next year where we can make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl once again.

Yeah I cant wait for Free Agency and the Draft + the Luck updates and who we choose as Coach. As long as we don't hire Tom Cable I will give most others a chance that have been mentioned.

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Again, I've not heard/read the interview, nor how he worded his thoughts. Nevertheless, from your understanding, he has in some fashion mislead once more.  Once the biceps tendon is disconnected from it's insertion at the labrum, it is reattached to the humerus bone down lower in some fashion (there are a few different techniques here to do this). Not reattached back on to the labrum.

(I'll insert this, just to prove I know some about this stuff...  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16325079 )

Having read many articles from many M.D.'s on it, I (personally, as a forum member opinion only) am skeptical of it being performed casually on any overhead throwing athlete, and maybe any person under the age of around 45; unless a true biceps dysfunction is also indicated/involved.

Well, that sucks

7 hours ago, zibby43 said:

And how about now?

What I don't understand is why he would lose so much apparent weight from shoulder surgery.  Does it effect your appetite?  I'd think being laid up with a bum shoulder would cause you to get flabby.  The pic on the left looks almost like he's fighting infection or something.  Antibiotics cause you to lose your appetite.

7 hours ago, George Peterson said:

Same thing.  He's a bit thicker but not as much as it looks like.  Find a picture of him wearing the same shirt before as after and then we'll be getting somewhere

No way.  It has nothing to do with his shirt.   You’re alone on that theory now, I’m afraid.

He looked gaunt this summer.  You could see his collarbone easily.  Traps had receded, for lack of a better word.  Face was much thinner too.  Drastic weight loss everywhere.  

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

What I don't understand is why he would lose so much apparent weight from shoulder surgery.  Does it effect your appetite?  I'd think being laid up with a bum shoulder would cause you to get flabby.  The pic on the left looks almost like he's fighting infection or something.  Antibiotics cause you to lose your appetite.

Good questions/thoughts on your part.  

You tend to lose a little weight after a surgery.  Luck basically had to shut down his upper body lifting for a while.

That said, I haven’t personally experienced something as drastic as we’ve seen in these photos* (* = under normal conditions with no post-operative problems).  

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Good questions/thoughts on your part.  

You tend to lose a little weight after a surgery.  Luck basically had to shut down his upper body lifting for a while.

That said, I haven’t personally experienced something as drastic as we’ve seen in these photos* (* = under normal conditions with no post-operative problems).  

Even early this season when on the sidelines he looked abnormally skinny for what I'd think a normal shoulder surgery would cause.  The fact that he was not ready for NFL life during the season is no surprise.

But I'm glad he looks like the normal Andrew after his European adventure.  So I tend to believe that he will be ready for the normal NFL schedule just based upon how he looks now compared to a couple of months ago.

9 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

No way.  It has nothing to do with his shirt.   You’re alone on that theory now, I’m afraid.

He looked gaunt this summer.  You could see his collarbone easily.  Traps had receded, for lack of a better word.  Face was much thinner too.  Drastic weight loss everywhere.  

The camera can play tricks. He obviously lost some weight but not a drastic as some pictures make it appear.