Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck's Presser Today

Steamboat_Shaun

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you call butt hurt is just having the ability to see why thing happen and realizing that the problems the Colts have go much deeper than Pagano. Right now those who are calling for Pagano's head thinks that will solve the problems. Not happening anytime soon.

So if you want to jump on the hades train the conductor is yelling all aboard.

Nobody is saying that Pagano is the reason for ALL of the Colts problems, he’s certainly not part of the solution though.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you call butt hurt is just having the ability to see why thing happen and realizing that the problems the Colts have go much deeper than Pagano. Right now those who are calling for Pagano's head thinks that will solve the problems. Not happening anytime soon.

So if you want to jump on the hades train the conductor is yelling all aboard.

Fortunately, you don't have a heaven or hell to put anyone in.  Get a grip.

13 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Me too.  It has been a bizarre season to say the least.  I liked the presser too in the sense that he is basically saying "what do you want me to say?"..... "you all saw the game!"

I feel like he (Chuck) HAS made some progress in regard to challenges, timeout usage and generally managing the game... the defense looks much better to me than it has in the past... I understand the lack of talent and why some things happen when they do.  Even with the lack of talent, when you couple that with your best players not playing due to injury it makes it pretty tough.

The one area that is hard to excuse for me is the lack of play design that will maximize players abilities and also minimize player weaknesses or liabilities.  This idea includes designs that increase production by adjusting how a player or players are positioned to create better mismatches etc.  

I don't like our inconsistent play calling and beyond that.... I have yet to see prevent defense work for even the most talented group of players.  Well work and effectiveness are two different things I guess.  If the goal is to keep the ball in front of you and "prevent" big plays, well then it is a flawless design and we do it pretty well.  But if you are wanting to run the clock and "prevent" the other team from scoring resulting in a loss ... well that is another story and I am sick of it.

The guys are fighting and trying.  I think we have come close to weeding out most of the diva crybabies but there are still a few.  Gotta give credit to them because they do play hard.  You have to know they don't want to lose and they are doing what they can to not let that happen.  Just need a little more help.....

But yeah, I think Chuck is okay with whichever way things go.

Sorry, I hate long post and here I am writing one.

Good points.  I agree.

posts arent too long (to me) when they are interesting or make me think.

bottom line is that this culture of losing has to end.  And there is probably only one way to do that.  A fresh start and approach.

seems to me, coaches who are tough wnd demanding are much more successful than the players-coach type (in general).

kinda like you can't be your kid's best friend approach.

10 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Nobody is saying that Pagano is the reason for ALL of the Colts problems, he’s certainly not part of the solution though.

Exactly.  As Colin Cowherd put it today...perhaps Pagano still deserves another shot...just not in Indy. 

He has had several years to get it together here.  The past 3 years of mediocrity speaks for itself.  In a perfect world, he would have been shown the door along with Grigson.  As it is now, he has overstayed his welcome and this is the result.  Pagano has been reduced to an ineffective lame duck coach devoid of any real answers to the many problems facing this football team.  A new direction is needed.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I heard it, he was talking Sonny and Cher and Groundhog day stuff, jumping off cliffs, etc.. I think he's losin it!

He sounded like a guy with no answers. And he might not have any at this point. Same thing happens every week. Colts play good for about 2 and a half quarters, then the Colts just fall to pieces.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

He sounded like a guy with no answers. And he might not have any at this point. Same thing happens every week. Colts play good for about 2 and a half quarters, then the Colts just fall to pieces.

If Ballard had any lingering doubts regarding Pagano's future here that presser should have sealed the deal.  smh

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Good points.  I agree.

posts arent too long (to me) when they are interesting or make me think.

bottom line is that this culture of losing has to end.  And there is probably only one way to do that.  A fresh start and approach.

seems to me, coaches who are tough wnd demanding are much more successful than the players-coach type (in general).

kinda like you can't be your kid's best friend approach.

Very true (entire response)... I really don't care either way if he stays or goes, but if they fire him and his staff I just hope we can find a suitable replacement.  We have limited time with AL and going forward I hope we are able to get the best out of him.

I doubt Chuck is the man for that honestly, but .... just asking, who else is there right now really?  I know the names that have been thrown around and my head is still itching..... I guess we will see.

I just hate to see a change that results in another setback.  On the other hand, keeping Chuck might be just as much or even more of a setback.

Tricky question indeed, and one I am glad I am not in charge of answering.

11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Not too many (if any) coaches hold an advantage over Belicheck in the playoffs. Even though the Colts under Pagano have not beaten the Pats, the last game was close and he’s NEVER had a defense like he could potentially have next year, if the right pieces were added.

Either way, it’s speculation on both our parts. Changing the coaching staff does not guarantee anything. What it does do is, facilitate a new scheme and language for the players to learn and that may take time.

i predict, if we get a new hc, all our below average talent will become pro bowlers, and our below average o-line will set a record for fewest sacks allowed, if this happens, next i will predict the end of the world, bottom line no hc can make poor talent great

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

HA HA, I guess Mike MaCarthey for the Packers can't coach either, since Rodgers got hurt, there not winning, & they have more talent than the Colts. HONESTLY some of you guys a LAUGHABLE! I know Mack was coached up to fumble, an Brisset was told to throw stupid IN"s late in the game! Just those 3 plays alone with ALL the other nonsense injuries, and stuff that this team has gone threw the Colts record would be 6-5 hum? Just saying!!

Keep making excuses for him, that’s your prerogative. But the fact of the matter is he simply isn’t that good of a head coach, & when the Colts move on from him, it’s going to be a huge breath of fresh air, & I’m very much looking forward to it.

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

What am I allowed to blame Chuck for that won’t get you so hot & bothered?

Stating facts is not being hot and bothered. It is your choice to concentrate on the negative and completely overlook the positive. You have already made up your mind so further discussing this is a waist of your time as well as mine.

On 11/27/2017 at 5:00 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Every coach needs the personnel to have any scheme or adjustment to work. When the depth and talent level is so poor no matter what Chuck or any other coach does it's not going to be successful. Going into this season we all knew it was rebuilding year and those who are familiar with the NFL knew it would take time. To expect Pagano or any other coach to make this team a winner was unrealistic from the start.

Crazycolt, you've been defending chuck for awhile now but I got to know. What does Pagano have to do to lose your faith, it sounds like he'd literally have to run over Luck and Brissett haha

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Stating facts is not being hot and bothered. It is your choice to concentrate on the negative and completely overlook the positive. You have already made up your mind so further discussing this is a waist of your time as well as mine.

I had my time where I defended Pagano on this forum, it wasn’t really all that long ago, & plenty of people argued with me then too. But he’s had 6 seasons on the job, which is a long time in the NFL, & the closest we came to a Super Bowl was a 45-7 curbstomping in New England in the AFCCG. As bad as that was, we couldn’t be further away from that right now.

If they decide to retain Pagano for 1 more season & he wins the South & makes a run in the playoffs, I’ll give credit where it’s due, but I don’t see it happening. And assuming he’s let go, his contract’s fully guaranteed & he’ll get hired somewhere else, so I don’t feel too bad for Pagano. In my opinion, the change of scenery would be good for everyone involved, 

11 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

Crazycolt, you've been defending chuck for awhile now but I got to know. What does Pagano have to do to lose your faith, it sounds like he'd literally have to run over Luck and Brissett haha

It's not a point of defending Chuck. It's a point of understanding why the Colts are losing. Anyone who thought this roster was good enough to get any consistency at winning was not realizing what reality is. Chuck came into this season without a roster that was capable of winning. He didn't even have a starting caliber QB for one thing. He has no depth at any position where he can make adjustments to protect a lead especially when the players themselves throw wins away with turnovers. It's easy to sit back and point a finger at the head coach without thinking about why things happen. Every move Chuck has made has been scrutinized and analyzed under a microscope and anything that could be deemed negative is blown way out of proportion to be used as an excuse to rag on him.

Peoples memory goes out the door when they become rabid and that is exactly what is going on here.

Heck, Chuck cant even hold a press conference without getting thrown under the bus because he didn't act like some want him to.

It's not hard to understand why I think he is being used as a scapegoat when most refuse to understand what it takes to win in the NFL. Chuck hasn't had the roster to make it happen in three seasons.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Or 4 consecutive years of starting the regular season 0-2? That alone would be a fireable offense with just about any other team in the league.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Now you are just searching for reasons to rag on Pagano.

You failed to mention that one of those 0-2 starts ended in a trip the AFC championship game. How convenient of you.

First off we all know the saying , " You can lead a horse to water " analogy. 

I think what Pagano is trying to say that it could be the self inflicting wounds and the players get to that point of the game and a mistake happens and its Like here we go again. It could be that the players don't care beacuse they probably think they will be playing under another coach next year no matter what they do on the field. 

I highly believe in the KISS analogy of keeping it simple. Sometimes we make things more difficult then they have to be for ourselves. 

I personally think Chud hasn't been fired due to having JB here and still learning things on the go. 

I think if Jim Irsay and Chris Ballard told this team hey look Chuck is staying/ going. Don't worry about winning or losing just go out there and PLAY FOOTBALL. The team would probably do better. I think alot of the players have seen the same mistakes made and some have self inflicting doubts within themselves. Sometimes its hard to gain that confidence back in our self. 

11 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I had my time where I defended Pagano on this forum, it wasn’t really all that long ago, & plenty of people argued with me then too. But he’s had 6 seasons on the job, which is a long time in the NFL, & the closest we came to a Super Bowl was a 45-7 curbstomping in New England in the AFCCG. As bad as that was, we couldn’t be further away from that right now.

If they decide to retain Pagano for 1 more season & he wins the South & makes a run in the playoffs, I’ll give credit where it’s due, but I don’t see it happening. And assuming he’s let go, his contract’s fully guaranteed & he’ll get hired somewhere else, so I don’t feel too bad for Pagano. In my opinion, the change of scenery would be good for everyone involved, 

Though I would prefer to keep Pagano what you're saying is probably going to happen!  I heard it in  Ballard's voice when they interviewed him a few weeks ago!

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is exactly what I am talking about. Now you are just searching for reasons to rag on Pagano.

You failed to mention that one of those 0-2 starts ended in a trip the AFC championship game. How convenient of you.

I didn't conveniently leave anything out, everyone on this forum knows we went to the AFCCG in '14, and started of that season 0-2. I shouldn't need to remind anyone of that, it's old news. And I'm not "searching" for anything, the proof's in the pudding.

I'm lenient and patient with players, and coaches, until I have reason not to be. I was patient and hopeful that TJ Green and Philip Dorsett would turn out to be good players after a couple years of development, they didn't. I was optimistic that Chuck would approach this season refreshed and with a new sense of purpose after Grigson was let go, and I was proven wrong on that as well.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I didn't conveniently leave anything out, everyone on this forum knows we went to the AFCCG in '14, and started of that season 0-2. I shouldn't need to remind anyone of that, it's old news. And I'm not "searching" for anything, the proof's in the pudding.

I'm lenient and patient with players, and coaches, until I have reason not to be. I was patient and hopeful that TJ Green and Philip Dorsett would turn out to be good players after a couple years of development, they didn't. I was optimistic that Chuck would approach this season refreshed and with a new sense of purpose after Grigson was let go, and I was proven wrong on that as well.

It's hard for any coach to show a new sense of purpose when they have to try to get wins with this roster.

1 hour ago, Colton Stenger said:

Honestly I think you think this roster is worse than it actually is

This team went 8-8 last season.

The GM got fired

There was a turnover in players of around 40%

We have a revolving door at the offensive line

We have some injury issues for what were suppose to be starters

We also have a lot of rookie and second year players.

We started out without Luck..

We started Scott Tolzien as QB

The QB we traded for was not ready to be a starter

Our linebackers are still having problems.

We have no pass rushers.

With all these problems expecting Pagano to get wins was unrealistic. We started this season in the rebuild mode and anyone who expected this team to win with any consistency was either dreaming or unfamiliar with what it takes to win football games in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Curious.....  what do you think Pagano actually does to help this team?

You mean beyond getting his team to play hard?     Or did you miss 2012 thru 2016?

And the team is still playing hard in most games this year.  They're just not talented enough...

I don't know why so many posters here think with a better coaching staff this year we'd be competing for the playoffs?   But many fans here think just that.....

Oh well....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You mean beyond getting his team to play hard?     Or did you miss 2012 thru 2016?

And the team is still playing hard in most games this year.  They're just not talented enough...

I don't know why so many posters here think with a better coaching staff this year we'd be competing for the playoffs?   But many fans here think just that.....

Oh well....

I notice you isn't mention 2017 and rightly so.....the effort is definitely not there tho yr as it has been in yrs past...To quote what you have said a million time.   Did he "forget how to coach" then?

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh well....

i concur

28 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I notice you isn't mention 2017 and rightly so.....the effort is definitely not there tho yr as it has been in yrs past...To quote what you have said a million time.   Did he "forget how to coach" then?

I did mention this year....   just not by number...    2nd paragraph I referenced this year....

Look...  I'm on record as saying I think it's time to move on from Pagano...   I'm ready for a change...    but I don't think he's lost the team, nor do I think he's a bad coach.

I just don't think he's the right coach for the Colts anymore.     Time for new leadership, and I think we will get it in early January...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I did mention this year....   just not by number...    2nd paragraph I referenced this year....

Look...  I'm on record as saying I think it's time to move on from Pagano...   I'm ready for a change...    but I don't think he's lost the team, nor do I think he's a bad coach.

I just don't think he's the right coach for the Colts anymore.     Time for new leadership, and I think we will get it in early January...

I agree with you NCF

I think change will do us good going into 2018.

Hell, we all thought the Rams were a poor team this year and that they were a win we could "count" on while Andrew was out.

Look how that turned out... sometimes like it or not, change is good.... regardless of some's propensity to resist it.