Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any Suspected Potential Weak Links In Staff?

18Manning

I just read through a Bleacher Report listing all the new coaches, assistants, etc. Is there anyone out there knowledgeable enough about the staff to suspect any weak links? When I say suspect it would of course be your opinion. I have a hard enough time keeping up with some of the opposing teams players. I have minimal or no knowledge of some of our new staff. Some of their credentials/qualifications don't look so impressive. I claim ignorance, so perhaps my observation is no more than an ignorant opinion.

Our last few special teams coordinators haven't had much luck...our last couple of defensive coordinators have been questionable too. I don't know much about the staff other than Arians and Manuskey. Arians has developed QBs well, loves bubble screens and 5 WR sets. Manuskey was the D coordinator for the Chargers a few years ago and if I remember right, they were statistically one of the better defenses

Our last few special teams coordinators haven't had much luck...our last couple of defensive coordinators have been questionable too. I don't know much about the staff other than Arians and Manuskey. Arians has developed QBs well, loves bubble screens and 5 WR sets. Manuskey was the D coordinator for the Chargers a few years ago and if I remember right, they were statistically one of the better defenses

He was the 49's D Coord from 07-10 then the chargers D Coord last year.

Here is his stats.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ManuGr0.htm

I just read through a Bleacher Report listing all the new coaches, assistants, etc. Is there anyone out there knowledgeable enough about the staff to suspect any weak links? When I say suspect it would of course be your opinion. I have a hard enough time keeping up with some of the opposing teams players. I have minimal or no knowledge of some of our new staff. Some of their credentials/qualifications don't look so impressive. I claim ignorance, so perhaps my observation is no more than an ignorant opinion.

It would be premature and unfair to assess the new Colts coaching staff, individually or as a group, before they have had a chance to at least meet the players they will coach. Any review of the new coaches prior work history is bound to be subjective and is no indicator of what they will do with this current Colts team.

It would be premature and unfair to assess the new Colts coaching staff, individually or as a group, before they have had a chance to at least meet the players they will coach. Any review of the new coaches prior work history is bound to be subjective and is no indicator of what they will do with this current Colts team.

I agree to a point, but often talent (coaches or players) is sought after based on previous experience, credentials, performance, etc. However, I agree we don't know what will happen until we get rolling.

I really don't care much for what I heard about Arians from Steeler fans. But I'm willing to give him a shot. I really like our head coaching hire and the fact that we have Pagano makes me feel better about what I thought was a subpar DC acquisition.

Yeah, I keep hearing the dink and dunk comments, too, but I watched Roethlisberger at Miami of Ohio, and that was kinda his game. I'm hoping we discover Arians was just playing to Big Ben's skill set.

This is what I will say, can it really get any worse than our last group? Our defensive play calling for the last 5 years was terrible (Charles Barkley voice) Its hard to say whos a weak link before a game is even played. This coaching staff should bring in new schemes and ideas that will improve our defense.

This is football there will always be weak links or someone who could do their job better, but i think overall if the colts can get some good football players on the field theyd be able to mask that... coaches are judged by how their players perform so id be more worried about who's on the field.

I agree to a point, but often talent (coaches or players) is sought after based on previous experience, credentials, performance, etc. However, I agree we don't know what will happen until we get rolling.

1) Any repsonse from anyone in this thread about the quality of the new staff is a completely uninformed guess.

2) Because we have never heard of them does not mean they were bad choices. BEcause we have heard of them does not make them good decisions.

3) Only way to correctly assess this will be to ask the question again January.

1) Any repsonse from anyone in this thread about the quality of the new staff is a completely uninformed guess.

2) Because we have never heard of them does not mean they were bad choices. BEcause we have heard of them does not make them good decisions.

Really? Wow, thank you for pointing out that this is a fan forum. :thanks: I thought this was a forum where current NFL coaches, players and executives could discuss NFL topics. Now I know to expect that anyone posting here is just a fan and not an NFL employee in one way, shape or form.

:slaphead:

Again, I agree we need to see some games before anyone make make a fair assessment, but I don't see anything wrong with soliciting opinions of anyone with more knowledge than myself. Most people seem to feel good about having a Defensive-minded" coach. Surely their feelings or opinions regarding the new coach are there for a reason. What are those reasons? There's nothing wrong with expressing an educated opinion.

Really? Wow, thank you for pointing out that this is a fan forum. :thanks: I thought this was a forum where current NFL coaches, players and executives could discuss NFL topics. Now I know to expect that anyone posting here is just a fan and not an NFL employee in one way, shape or form.

:slaphead:

Understand and appreciate the sarcasm. I just find it funny that there is a message board thread about good or bad hires on a football staff. No one that would ever respond here has a clue as to the answer.

Understand and appreciate the sarcasm. I just find it funny that there is a message board thread about good or bad hires on a football staff. No one that would ever respond here has a clue as to the answer.

This is nothing more than my opinion but I have reason for optimism, I refuse to believe defensive play calling can get worse than what we just had. :mindblow: .

yeah i think with manuskey and pagano the defense will be a monster in a year or two. 2012 season is basically going to be more of a lets see what were working with and where we need to improve the most kind of year. but i believe these two will turn the defense into a top 10 if not top 5 defense. something this team has lacked for a very long time.

It's kind of like all the people who grade team's drafts the day after the draft. Pure speculation (which is OK, just remember it is speculation) only time will tell.

One thing I will add is, a successfull coaching staff is always greater than the sum of it's parts. How well these guys work together will make a big difference in how well the team performs.

yeah i think with manuskey and pagano the defense will be a monster in a year or two. 2012 season is basically going to be more of a lets see what were working with and where we need to improve the most kind of year. but i believe these two will turn the defense into a top 10 if not top 5 defense. something this team has lacked for a very long time.

Now that's some optimism haha. I would be happy with middle of the pack compared to the consistent last 5 in almost every category haha.

I do understand...I was simply pointing out that I'm pretty sure people already know that because this is a fan forum. We all know that it's only fans posting here but the whole point of the forum is to discuss our opinions. The OP asked for the opinions of other fans and that's what he's going to get. There's no reason for someone to point out in virtually every thread that there are no fans that would truly know the answers to the questions that get asked around here.

I do understand...I was simply pointing out that I'm pretty sure people already know that because this is a fan forum. We all know that it's only fans posting here but the whole point of the forum is to discuss our opinions. The OP asked for the opinions of other fans and that's what he's going to get. There's no reason for someone to point out in virtually every thread that there are no fans that would truly know the answers to the questions that get asked around here.

true, but the opinions are usually based on something....in this case what do fans really know about some of the lesser positional coaches? i'm guessing nothing

true, but the opinions are usually based on something....in this case what do fans really know about some of the lesser positional coaches? i'm guessing nothing

Just like no one is really going to know who would make a good GM, why our playcalling is the way it is or any of the hundreds of other topics that get discussed around here. The point is (again) that when you sign on to a fan forum, you should already know to take any response with a grain of salt. It's not necessary to have someone point it out in every thread.

Also, the replies to the OP's questions could still be based on "something". We hired a couple of college coaches...who knows, maybe there's someone out there that has followed that particular college team through multiple years with different players and noticed whether a particular group (linebackers for ex.) have always played well then it could very well be attributed to that position coach.

And to jskinnz..I may have misunderstood your "undersand and appreciate the sarcasm." When I first read it and replied, I took it to mean you were tellilng me that I needed to understand and appreciate your sarcasm but then (after posting) realized you may have simply been saying you understand and appreciated my sarcasm. Point is, the reply I gave was assuming the former but if the latter was true then my reply wouldn't really make sense. So if there was any uncertainty about my reply then that's probably why. :)

If someone has a thread on where Manning will be next year, there is enough evidence out there to have an opinion either way and ultimately, a good discussion on here.

But a thread in which the OP essentially asks for insight into the new LB coach who no one had ever heard of until the Colts hired him is kind of funny to me.

And to jskinnz..I may have misunderstood your "undersand and appreciate the sarcasm." When I first read it and replied, I took it to mean you were tellilng me that I needed to understand and appreciate your sarcasm but then (after posting) realized you may have simply been saying you understand and appreciated my sarcasm. Point is, the reply I gave was assuming the former but if the latter was true then my reply wouldn't really make sense. So if there was any uncertainty about my reply then that's probably why. :)

I was saying that I appreciated your sarcasm in your response to me. It was probably deserved as I don't think I made my point good enough. The thread just struck me as funny. Kind the same thing in the thread yesterday about the new LB the Colts signed. It went something like 30 repsonses about a guy no one knows anything about.

Well despite jskinnz' (one of my favorite posters on this forum) claim that my response is an "uninformed guess," I will present my lack of information.

I'm not a huge fan of Arians, his offenses are inconsistent and he seems to out smart himself and he doesn't seem to understand that you set up the PAP by having a few good running plays, not one big running play.

With living in Southern California and working in San Diego, most of my co-workers are Charger fans and I heard on more than one occasion how disappointed they were in Manusky... they wondered how he could take the number one ranked D and make them middle of the road and the worst team in the NFL on 3rd down conversions. Yes folks, the Coyer led D allowed 45% conversion on 3rd down. That was monumentally better than the 49% conversion allowed by the Manusky lead 3-4 D.

Outside of those two, I haven't seen enough of their teams to have an opinion.

Well despite jskinnz' (one of my favorite posters on this forum) claim that my response is an "uninformed guess," I will present my lack of information.

I'm not a huge fan of Arians, his offenses are inconsistent and he seems to out smart himself and he doesn't seem to understand that you set up the PAP by having a few good running plays, not one big running play.

With living in Southern California and working in San Diego, most of my co-workers are Charger fans and I heard on more than one occasion how disappointed they were in Manusky... they wondered how he could take the number one ranked D and make them middle of the road and the worst team in the NFL on 3rd down conversions. Yes folks, the Coyer led D allowed 45% conversion on 3rd down. That was monumentally better than the 49% conversion allowed by the Manusky lead 3-4 D.

Outside of those two, I haven't seen enough of their teams to have an opinion.

I have heard the same about Manusky...but I also heard that he was great as a motivator and a great teacher as far as teaching technique and fundamentals to the players. What I heard and read is that the problem was his playcalling. Granted, I didn't watch enough of the Chargers to gather my own opinion on this but I hope that it's true because I believe that Pagano will be calling the plays. I honestly think that Manusky will basically be a glorified position coach. I could very well be wrong as nothing has been announced in regards to who will be calling the plays on defense but there have been several coordinators in the last few years who have gone on to HC position but they continue being the playcaller. Sean Payton, Rex Ryan, and Mike McCarthy come immediately to mind and I really think Pagano will do the same. At least, believing that leaves me the opportunity to be optimistic instead of concerned. :)

If someone dosent have a long background it does not mean they are bad, everyone has to start somewhere, i think our new coach has surrounded himself with great people.

Spot on. Do we really think Mike Holmgren was a great coach with GB, and a bad coach with Seattle? I would guess that players can make coaches and vise versa. Fans so want a square peg to fit into a square hole with every decision, draft choice, etc. Sometimes magic happens, sometimes it doesn't. The OP asked a decent question, but there really is not an answer that would be anything other than pulling colored scarves out of your tush. I would say that it is plausible that our new GM and HC did not get all the coaches they wanted, and are targeting a few down the road if some don't excel.

There could be a few. Some new NFL guys in the mix here; however they have to get their start somewhere. It could also be a great move for them. Only time will tell.