Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Young's Comments On Luck 09/21/17

King Colt

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Wasn't that before the modern free agency era?  I don't remember how a player ever left a team unless the team itself no longer wanted him, and traded him.  

carson palmer did it

it doesnt seem like something luck would do though 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I mean, Peyton was coming to a team with a HOF front office, stud left tackle, and Faulk in his prime..... vs. Eli drafted by a joke of a SD front office who is STILL a pain for players to deal with to this day.....

Yeah I know the people you will have to work for are a factor, which is probably why Elway refused the Colts, but Peyton embraced them since it was a different Irsay and FO.

I don't blame Elway either, I'd probably do the same thing.  But I lost a little respect for him, same as Eli.

I really respect guys like LaDanian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates for what they accomplished in SD, despite the owner/FO.  They never got a ring, but they earned a gold jacket and the love of fair-weather (literally) fans.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You mean after the 2021 season? That's how long he is under contract

and that's not including the options they'll have to use the franchise tag on him, which I believe they can do 3 times?  So 2014 is really the earliest that the Colts wouldn't be able to prevent him from leaving.

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

carson palmer did it

it doesnt seem like something luck would do though 

Yeah.  I think he threatened to retire.  I believe the team retains the player's rights if they unretire, so it was either play for the Bengals or have the Bengals get something in a trade, which is what happened.

16 hours ago, NDcolt said:

NOPE, I want a replacement who has those tangibles.  sorry we’re not the Patriots who have a line, we’re the Colts & NEED Generals!!!  Manning didn’t have the best line but he was smart & got rid of the ball B4 Mayhem.  Luck is his worst own ENEMY & I love him to DEATH, but “If” this is true, door slammed.

Captain America doesn't play football, at least not in the movies he doesn't......excuse me, make that General America.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Are we really gonna do this again? 

It all seems a possibility until someone breaks down his contract for them....then throws out we could franchise him a few times like Kirk Cousins....I mean Luck could leave but it would take like half dozen years.....it just ain't happening. Could he get fed up and hold out for a trade....sure....but nothing seems to point to that...and I honestly think he sees a new GM a new direction and will want to see that vision unfold. But yeah...as long as we are bad we are going to get this dumb talk...and media types always want stars to go to big markets etc but he is locked up...and will be for a long time. Good to see your post....with so much negativity on here lately I guess it's hard to find a topic worth replying to!

17 hours ago, King Colt said:

Like all said to date this I purely speculation but Young has given his take on Luck's situation today on ESPN's PTI when asked by Tony Kornheiser. Young hinted strongly Luck may not be a Colt forever as some believe. He threw up Archie Manning's name him being a life long player on a losing team. He also said in so many terms Luck has to be looking down the road asking "is this ever going to change?"  Steve Young's tone of voice lead me to believe Luck will be stupid to consider tying his horse to the Colts wagon and I agree. If any or part of Young's comments materialize to be real who could blame Luck for getting out of Indy? Young and gifted with a great future if he heals properly only a masochist would stay if Ballard does not right their ship. To me, this season without Luck will deeply influence his decision. Keep in mind like his father Andrew Luck is a very intelligent person the same of which cannot be said of the owner and his coaching staff. 

Oh my lord.

You do realize that the Colts have not had a single losing season since Luck has been in Indianapolis??

People need to seriously just shut up with this stuff because it's amazingly stupid.  Luck is under contract with the Colts til 2021.  He's not leaving any time soon. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It all seems a possibility until someone breaks down his contract for them....then throws out we could franchise him a few times like Kirk Cousins....I mean Luck could leave but it would take like half dozen years.....it just ain't happening. Could he get fed up and hold out for a trade....sure....but nothing seems to point to that...and I honestly think he sees a new GM a new direction and will want to see that vision unfold. But yeah...as long as we are bad we are going to get this dumb talk...and media types always want stars to go to big markets etc but he is locked up...and will be for a long time. Good to see your post....with so much negativity on here lately I guess it's hard to find a topic worth replying to!

I just want to know why everyone is so convinced that Luck has been wronged by the Colts in some way... It's such a nonsense narrative.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just want to know why everyone is so convinced that Luck has been wronged by the Colts in some way... It's such a nonsense narrative.

Yep. That's what I'm trying to figure out when sifting through this thread.

People always seem to mention that the Colts never gave Andrew Luck an offensive line to play behind. But the stats show that the Colts have drafted and signed many offensive linemen. Some panned out, most didn't. Can't say they haven't tried. Big reason why Grigson is no longer here. Also, the stats show that Andrew Luck holds onto the ball way too long. Some of Chud's play calling never seemed to include a single screen pass if nothing was available down field. Remember when Ahmad Bradshaw was a member of the Colts? The Luck to Bradshaw screen pass was what tore up a lot of teams trying to cover TY Hilton/Moncrief/Fleener. The simple things need reworked.

I spend a little too much time on reddit NFL and thus get way too much insight on the outsider opinion. The ways we've "wronged" Luck seem to grow by the day.

1. The one that's been getting the most steam, we've ruined Luck physically.
2. Another popular one lately, we forced him to play when hurt.

3. The one that used to be the most common, not enough talent to work with.

Basically people are really bitter about us going from Peyton to Luck.

Now even if #1 and 2 were true, which they're not, it's not like Luck didn't put himself in harms way more than a few times, and if he ever played "too hurt" then that's on him as well as the coaching/FO. Of course, he's not ruined physically, but he has sustained a lot more injuries than you'd want your young franchise QB to.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I spend a little too much time on reddit NFL and thus get way too much insight on the outsider opinion.

im sure there are a lot of patriots fans on there

the colts haters have such a loud voice because boston and houston are huge compared to indy

dont hear much out of Tennessee or Jacksonville 

Just now, aaron11 said:

im sure there are a lot of patriots fans on there

the colts haters have such a loud voice because boston and houston are huge compared to indy

dont hear much out of Tennessee or Jacksonville 

Oh, there are. It's pretty much ruled by Pats fans.

The other big fanbase there? Seahawks. Those fans love to trash Luck/Colts because of the Wilson vs Luck debate.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yet it couldn't be more simple. His body has been beaten to death. And the Colts leadership is most responsible.

Lucky could make a fine 49'er next season under the right circumstances.  :thinking:

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yet it couldn't be more simple. His body has been beaten to death. And the Colts leadership is most responsible.

Lucky could make a fine 49'er next season under the right circumstances.  :thinking:

luck hurt his shoulder making a tackle

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's a player option, I think. Most of these big contracts, especially almost all the QB ones I've looked up, have them.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/andrew-luck-9811/

Luck's contract does not have a reported player option. What you're seeing on Spotrac is their projection of when it would make sense for the Colts to terminate the contract without a prohibitive cap penalty.

37 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Um, I'm sorry, but no. Luck holds the ball longer than almost any other QB, and plays with a warrior LB mentality. I'm not knocking him for either of those things, but the main reason he's suffered the two injuries he's had is because he invites contact.

17 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Why does Luck consistently get this kind of crap, but nobody ever says Drew Brees should get out of New Orleans or Phillip Rivers should get out of LA/SD or heck even Stafford should get out of Detroit? It's just hatred towards the Colts franchise and perhaps ownership and I honestly don't get it. This is the NFL, not the NBA, star players aren't coddled babies that run the asylum. Luck is a loyal dude, the Colts will right the ship and he'll be part of it the whole way.

People have said those things about Rivers, Brees and Stafford in the last couple of years. But bringing it up with Luck still this young is silly.

44 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the media really hates this team

they want luck to leave

Some Colts fans want Luck to leave. Or at least to threaten to leave, because they think that's what's necessary for the Colts to either fire Pagano or go all out and sign a bunch of high priced free agents and become a contender ove night, because 'we're wasting Luck's prime,' even though he's probably not even entered his prime yet.

It's a bunch of spoiled entitlement.

I don't hear Panthers fans claiming they're ruining Cam, even though Cam gets hit more than Luck, was used as a glorified RB his first four years, and has a lower winning percentage than Luck. Ron Rivera is an average head coach who has been on and off the hot seat for three or four years, and they've recently changed GMs.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

People always seem to mention that the Colts never gave Andrew Luck an offensive line to play behind. But the stats show that the Colts have drafted and signed many offensive linemen. Some panned out, most didn't. Can't say they haven't tried. Big reason why Grigson is no longer here. Also, the stats show that Andrew Luck holds onto the ball way too long. Some of Chud's play calling never seemed to include a single screen pass if nothing was available down field. Remember when Ahmad Bradshaw was a member of the Colts? The Luck to Bradshaw screen pass was what tore up a lot of teams trying to cover TY Hilton/Moncrief/Fleener. The simple things need reworked.

There are two teams with really good offensive line play -- the Cowboys used three first rounders (and lucked out with La'el Collins), and the Raiders spent a bunch of money in free agency. Pretty much every other team struggles at OL, including teams that have spent high picks and lots of money on OL. Besides finding and developing a franchise QB, it's probably the hardest thing to do in the NFL.

And while it's strange to say, I miss certain aspects of Pep's play calling. Spider 2 Y Banana and the other RB options that led to Bradshaw converting first downs and getting in the end zone were staple plays that had high success rates. I feel like we don't have any of those anymore. I'm never confident on 3rd and short, even with Luck.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Luck's contract does not have a reported player option. What you're seeing on Spotrac is their projection of when it would make sense for the Colts to terminate the contract without a prohibitive cap penalty.

57 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I spend a little too much time on reddit NFL and thus get way too much insight on the outsider opinion. The ways we've "wronged" Luck seem to grow by the day.

1. The one that's been getting the most steam, we've ruined Luck physically.
2. Another popular one lately, we forced him to play when hurt.

3. The one that used to be the most common, not enough talent to work with.

Basically people are really bitter about us going from Peyton to Luck.

Now even if #1 and 2 were true, which they're not, it's not like Luck didn't put himself in harms way more than a few times, and if he ever played "too hurt" then that's on him as well as the coaching/FO. Of course, he's not ruined physically, but he has sustained a lot more injuries than you'd want your young franchise QB to.

People still being critical about letting Manning go are the worst. I can't wait until Manning or Condon (or both) finally open up about how they engineered his exit from the Colts...so we can just put this whole thing to bed. I don't think people would even be mad at Manning...and they would finally understand how awesome (and necessary) Luck is to this team. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Um, I'm sorry, but no. Luck holds the ball longer than almost any other QB, and plays with a warrior LB mentality. I'm not knocking him for either of those things, but the main reason he's suffered the two injuries he's had is because he invites contact.

Well, i believe i do recall some games where the line did protect him very well.

And Lucky stood in the pocket and picked some teams apart. Without getting pounded. Not that many though.

He wasn't moving, running for his life every 2nd or 3rd pass and putting his body in LB mode.

No, the line put in front of him has really cost him, IMO, with his completion %, and the likely pains and aches he is dealing with, and the certain aging of all of his body.
 Pure speculation.
 Andrew, do you have the body of a 24 year old or more like a 30+ year old?   I know where i would place my bet.
  Now let's get back to talking about finding a way come Sunday. Hate to hear Wilson won't be out there and Morrison will be .

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Wasn't that before the modern free agency era?  I don't remember how a player ever left a team unless the team itself no longer wanted him, and traded him.  In that circumstance I could see a player trying to force a trade because there is no other option.  I still don't agree, but the player had few options back then...IIRC.

Luck signed his contract after having the chance to go to another team.  He could have ridden out the franchise tag designation if he really wanted to go elsewhere.

Young had a losing record as a starter in Tampa and was seen as a "bust", but that was probably more due to the fact that the Bucs surrounded him with an awful team. They traded him to the 49ers for two picks -- a 2nd and a 4th. I guess the joke was on the Bucs.  

21 hours ago, King Colt said:

Like all said to date this I purely speculation but Young has given his take on Luck's situation today on ESPN's PTI when asked by Tony Kornheiser. Young hinted strongly Luck may not be a Colt forever as some believe. He threw up Archie Manning's name him being a life long player on a losing team. He also said in so many terms Luck has to be looking down the road asking "is this ever going to change?"  Steve Young's tone of voice lead me to believe Luck will be stupid to consider tying his horse to the Colts wagon and I agree. If any or part of Young's comments materialize to be real who could blame Luck for getting out of Indy? Young and gifted with a great future if he heals properly only a masochist would stay if Ballard does not right their ship. To me, this season without Luck will deeply influence his decision. Keep in mind like his father Andrew Luck is a very intelligent person the same of which cannot be said of the owner and his coaching staff. 

Thats Steve Young's opinion it don't mean squat . :nono:

I honestly don't think 99% of ESPN people even know our team. Probably couldn't name 10 people on our Roster. Tony K has been an ESPN Icon for 30 years and has no idea about our team. We are a small market team that has shook the world up since drafting Peyton and in Luck's 1st 3 seasons we were Very Good. Many scoff at this and are jealous of our success IMO because little ol Indy has arguably been the 2nd best franchise over the last 20 seasons. Now we are getting kicked when down a little but we still have Luck in our back pocket. We would be 2-0 had Luck played in the 1st 2 games, JMO.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Andrew Luck isn't going anywhere......

First....   his current contract runs through 2021.

Second.....   if they wanted,  the Colts could then exercise their right to slap the franchise tag on Luck up to THREE times.

Third.....      Luck likes Indy.     He really does.    He's not a guy who thinks the grass is greener elsewhere...

Look.....     whether it's Steve Young,  or Colin Cowherd,  or any other analyst....    those saying Luck might not play his entire career with the Colts could STILL be right.

What if Luck plays 15 years,  and 14 of them are with the Colts.     1 year with another team and technically,  that wold make every analyst who spouted this nonsense correct.

Andrew Luck isn't going anywhere.      You have to learn to ignore these contant speculations,  because that's all they are.     Speculations.       Until someone --- anyone --- has something more concrete,  then all this is is somebody's best guess.         In other words,   it's nothing.

This

18 hours ago, cbear said:

I saw that interview.  IMO, his tone of voice was more on the jovial side as he was responding to uncle Tony's setup.  He then quickly veered into saying that he doesn't blame the Colts for not being accurate in describing Luck's time table for return because of the tricky nature of shoulder injuries and that they are doing the right thing in being cautious.  He concluded by simply saying the Colts need to continue adding pieces around him.  

Uncle Tony may have been hyperventilating about "how could the Colts get this so wrong" regarding his time table, but that was about it.

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I appreciate this one by Cbear because it provides context & explains what actually went down on ESPN. I never understand why broadcasters have to gin things up or amplify things up for ratings. Just say Luck's locked in for the foreseeable future & INDY is finally getting a formidable defense. 

For the love of God ESPN, stop your foolish propaganda that NE walks on water & INDY is the anti-christ jesus. Other then MNF; I never watch ESPN anymore period. 

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

When I watch the media, including Florio this morning, I do have to wonder if they know that Grigson got fired.

This made me laugh because like CBE said, I doubt writers & pundits could even name 6 players on our roster excluding Luck, Gore, Hilton, Moncrief, & Doyle. 

When Punter Rigoberto Sanchez replaced Pat McAfee, my mind does subconsciously think why did we put Mr. Butt Fumble on our roster? I know; I know he's not Mark Sanchez on the Bears now. However, my mind still goes there like a sarcastic reflex though. I can't lie. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

This made me laugh because like CBE said, I doubt writers & pundits could even name 6 players on our roster excluding Luck, Gore, Hilton, Moncrief, & Doyle. 

When Punter Rigoberto Sanchez replaced Pat McAfee, my mind does subconsciously think why did we put Mr. Butt Fumble on our roster? I know; I know he's not Mark Sanchez on the Bears now. However, my mind still goes there like a sarcastic reflex though. I can't lie. 

The bizarre thing about this season is, we could easily be in a tie for 1st place in our Division after Sunday. Titans play Seahawks, Texans play Pats, and Jags play Ravens. Every team may be 1-2 and we haven't played a Division game and Luck is getting healthy.

poor andrew luck

going to the playoffs 3 out of his 1st 5 years.  how terrible this franchise has been for him.  such a losing franchise he has attached himself to by just signing a huge 100 plus million dollar contract.

the poor guy.  this is such a terrible place to be.