Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsays Breaking News...wants Peyton Back *if* ((Merged))

Peyton and Eli fan

If, as a fan, I know that Peyton is 80-90% and can show considerable improvement in a month, I would think the organization and the fans would want to give him that one last chance. Besides, Irsay would have no qualms in paying the original contract if Peyton indeed can show he can make all the throws. I think the upside is greater than the downside, IMO.

I don't know chad. I think this team is going through a makeover to be honest. I am not even sure Peyton can save us for a season or two which is kinda how long I could see him lasting.

If I am wrong it's not the first time as you know.

I kinda see 9 wins as our highest ceiling ATM unless I change my mind before September.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all from the man who tried to give Peyton more money in the original latest contract to begin with (make him the highest OB ever and brag about it) and Peyton turned it down. This from the man who paid him millions last season knowing he probably wasn't going to play a down and said he was happy to do it.

Now it is all about money? Meh. 2 +2 aren't equal to 4 in this.

This all from the man who tried to give Peyton more money in the original latest contract to begin with (make him the highest OB ever and brag about it) and Peyton turned it down. This from the man who paid him millions last season knowing he probably wasn't going to play a down and said he was happy to do it.

So what are you thinking PeytonGirl? I am curious now.

Do you think the money issue is an excuse or something here?

I know much of it does not seem to add up either in the end.

All fair points, well, except the one about Clyde Christensen(not a selling point in my book). The HC/OC might not give him carte blanche like Caldwell did. There is that portion of the fan base, but there is also a portion of the fan base that will scream PUT LUCK IN, as soon as he throws an interception. Look around there are already people that him gone.

Just not feeling the positive vibe that some are.

One other comment.."a portion of the fan base that will sceam PUT LUCK IN"...have you seen how many #18 jerserys are in the stands on game day when he did not even PLAY. He has a huge rope to swing from.

Clyde was Dungy's good friend, he was the one he went on long walks with before games. He is also the one I see Peyton many times congratulating first on the sidelines after a score or win. Clyde for many years was in charge of third-down and red zone packages, which is really where the game is won or lost. I believe there is a really good relationship there and would make Peyton much more comfortable than an entirely new QB coach and new city and a new building.

I know who Clyde is and who brought him here. I wouldn't call it many years, but a few. I'd say they have a good relationship. I'd also say Manning had a good relationship with Caldwell. Neither of those points make either of them a good coach in my opinion and the way the pair handled the offense last season would be supporting evidence # 1.

could peyton restructure his contract before the bonus??

What happens if we sign peyton to a 2yr deal and he ends up having 2 career years (like 04) what do we do?

Short answer is no he can't... Second question? Who knows :)

Irsay said it wouldn't matter about money but now it does. He can't keep his word

One other comment.."a portion of the fan base that will sceam PUT LUCK IN"...have you seen how many #18 jerserys are in the stands on game day when he did not even PLAY. He has a huge rope to swing from.

I'm not saying he's not loved here... He is. I don't want another quarterback. So please don't assume that I'm pro-luck. I'm not. I"m just saying that the Pro-luck section while much smaller, will only grow with time, and even if Manning returns to his all-pro form some are going to want him gone so that Luck plays.

Irsay dug the hole.. Now he wants to bury Manning in it.

Irsay said it wouldn't matter about money but now it does. He can't keep his word

I don't think it was maybe as much to do about money when

1) Peyton was seemingly 100% healthy with no risks involved

2) until Andrew Luck became a reality instead of speculation

JMO

You know what they say. mo money mo problems.

Is that in relation to trading Unitas, or something else?

Not actually referring to any one specific act. In an interview with Hannah Storm Jim chose to expound upon the first firing of Ted Marchibroda. Over time he's discussed many examples. There was a time that I wondered if we(Colts) would ever survive the trade between Rosenbloom's Colts and Irsay's Rams.

This I know. Jim Irsay has earned his ownership through trial by fire. I was skeptical for years. He's convinced me.

He knows how to handle this situation. So, does Peyton. I quote them both, "we are good friends, we are close, we are like family".

Everyone can choose to believe what they will...

Not actually referring to any one specific act. In an interview with Hannah Storm Jim chose to expound upon the first firing of Ted Marchibroda. Over time he's discussed many examples. There was a time that I wondered if we(Colts) would ever survive the trade between Rosenbloom's Colts and Irsay's Rams.

This I know. Jim Irsay has earned his ownership through trial by fire. I was skeptical for years. He's convinced me.

He knows how to handle this situation. So, does Peyton. I quote them both, "we are good friends, we are close, we are like family".

It might have been Dennis Miller I heard on the radio a few weeks ago saying "Irsay said they are like a family. Yes, the Don Corleone family. Whacking people left and right.......now who do you think will be the last to get whacked in the end?".

Cool, thanks for expanding on that. I wasn't quite sure what the angle was with that comment so I was just trying to find out. It irks me that Robert Irsay was so vilified about moving the Colts when he was really left with no choice. Just wondering if that was part of your comment or not.

It might have been Dennis Miller I heard on the radio a few weeks ago saying "Irsay said they are like a family. Yes, the Don Corleone family. Whacking people left and right.......now who do you think will be the last to get whacked in the end?".

We'll just have to wait and see which one is Michael and which one is Fredo.

I think Irsay is doing what he needs to do to protect the horseshoe. He is merely firing back to sway the court of public opinion, after the other side has fired their medical clearance salvo. Both sides are now being politicians and are campaigning hard to win the PR battle.

I agree with you on that. but who actually thinks manning will go with restructuring his contract with the colts when he could say no and prob get alittle more with another team? this is getting worst then a high school relationship.

Cool, thanks for expanding on that. I wasn't quite sure what the angle was with that comment so I was just trying to find out. It irks me that Robert Irsay was so vilified about moving the Colts when he was really left with no choice. Just wondering if that was part of your comment or not.

No, the moving of the Colts is one of the few things I give great credit to Bob Irsay and Bill Hudnut. Baltimore always seems to overlook the fact that the city was going to invoke "imminant domain" on the Colts ownership when the court opened the next morning. A clerk called the Irsays. Bob called Hudnut informing him they must be out of town before the court opened and Hudnut called Mayflower.

I think that comes down to a case of the ....nerves!

I agree with you on that. but who actually thinks manning will go with restructuring his contract with the colts when he could say no and prob get alittle more with another team? this is getting worst then a high school relationship.

If PM says no, then Irsay will spin it as ...we tried, but PM did not want to renegotiate.

Then everyone will begin to question how much did PM really want to retire as a Colt?

I don't know chad. I think this team is going through a makeover to be honest. I am not even sure Peyton can save us for a season or two which is kinda how long I could see him lasting.

If I am wrong it's not the first time as you know.

I kinda see 9 wins as our highest ceiling ATM unless I change my mind before September.

But it can't get worse than Caldwell, right? Why is 9 wins our ceiling, when a terribly thin and injured team was a kick return away from 11+? I respect you, Jules, but you absolutely have no grounds to make a prediction like that, and you would be no more accurate than someone claiming we go 19-0 next season.

The #18 jerseys were there because Luck wasn't a Colt yet. Now that day's getting closer, and some people have joined these boards solely because of that fact.

The moment Peyton Manning isn't perfect, they will scream for Luck to come in (and likely ruin us).

I know who Clyde is and who brought him here. I wouldn't call it many years, but a few. I'd say they have a good relationship. I'd also say Manning had a good relationship with Caldwell. Neither of those points make either of them a good coach in my opinion and the way the pair handled the offense last season would be supporting evidence # 1.

Short answer is no he can't... Second question? Who knows :)

The REAL short answer is, anything can be worked around in the NFL. Anything. If owners/coaches/players want to make it happen, they can and they will.

You think it's bad now.....I see the media going on with this for some time regardless the outcome. It's the new smoking hot Favre/Rodgers story.

On the plus side much of this might fire up one young Andrew Luck when he has his chance to start whether it's next season or down the road. It also could fire up Peyton on another team.

Look, Peyton's a pretty smart guy and he'll know when to step aside, and I don't believe he would intentionally keep a team or another player from pursuing their goals, and I think he may just be the team guy he's always proven to be and help the new guy and the organization move forward when the time comes. I also think Luck would handle sitting like a professional, at least for a year and probably two. After that he's gonna get a little antsy.

Yeah I agree but at the same time maybe Peyton would want the Colts to win another SB with him @ the helm. On the other hand it seems like Irsay is preparing for the future. The situation is just a mess and unfortunately we can't have it both ways :(.

But it can't get worse than Caldwell, right? Why is 9 wins our ceiling, when a terribly thin and injured team was a kick return away from 11+? I respect you, Jules, but you absolutely have no grounds to make a prediction like that, and you would be no more accurate than someone claiming we go 19-0 next season.

I am sorry. I have no grounds to make a prediction of 9-7 at best in February when we are staring at a new coaching staff and the first pick in the draft and currently don't even know who the starting QB will be and if Peyton has a ramen noodle arm? DO you eat pot brownies for lunch?

You are the same ONE WHO ALWAYS makes bold predictions as if they are FACTS. You make them every single season about the draft (and are often wrong; see last year). You make them about teams.

I already said I might change my mind on our win total before the season starts and that I am often wrong. Heck 9 wins got the Giants in the playoffs and a title. All that matters if is if you get in and get postseason wins.

Really doogan.

The #18 jerseys were there because Luck wasn't a Colt yet. Now that day's getting closer, and some people have joined these boards solely because of that fact.

The moment Peyton Manning isn't perfect, they will scream for Luck to come in (and likely ruin us).

I usually like your posts but the are 2 problems I have with this.

1) You didn't like Jules prediction of 9 win season and said (see first bold type) and then you go on to say (see second bold type), My question to you is where are your grounds to be able to make a prediction like that?

2) Perfection is unobtainable, as great as Manning has been he's never been perfect. And just reading the various posts on these threads the very pro-Manning crowd heavily outweighs the very pro-Luck crowd, so my guess is that those screaming for Luck will be drowned out by those cheering for Manning. The only way the screams for Luck grow loud is if Manning if FAR FROM PERFECT, and if that's the case maybe Luck should be playing anyway.

If Manning plays and stays here, he will effectively be wasting his remaining 1 to 3 years left before he retires. This team, although many like to think otherwise, is not just a good QB away from the Superbowl. The team, collectively, sucks.

If we were a good team we'd have a shot, but we're not. We don't. The Bears made the Superbowl in SPITE of Rex Grossman. If we were a good team with all this imaginary talent we have, we'd have come close at least. Not been 2-14 bottom of the barrel god awful. Grossman may be better than Painter but it sure as heck isn't by much if at all.

If he stays it won't add nor detract to his legacy. The fans will love the loyalty, but at the same time it will cost him a realistic SB shot or two.

If Manning goes to a contending team it could hurt his legacy if he falls flat on his face. On top of that, some folks here will probably take it the wrong way.

The flip side is that, if healthy, he'd be a minor (Rodgers, Brees, Brady) to substantial (anyone else) upgrade for any QB in the league and put already contending teams over the top.

Considering he's shouldered the franchise for 10+ years, I'd say he deserves to do whatever the heck he wants and if that's to go out and WIN a Superbowl or two go get them.

At the same time, we can go in to rebuild mode with Luck and, hopefully, build a competent squad of players around him for years to come.

We'll see what happens.

I usually like your posts but the are 2 problems I have with this.

1) You didn't like Jules prediction of 9 win season and said (see first bold type) and then you go on to say (see second bold type), My question to you is where are your grounds to be able to make a prediction like that?

2) Perfection is unobtainable, as great as Manning has been he's never been perfect. And just reading the various posts on these threads the very pro-Manning crowd heavily outweighs the very pro-Luck crowd, so my guess is that those screaming for Luck will be drowned out by those cheering for Manning. The only way the screams for Luck grow loud is if Manning if FAR FROM PERFECT, and if that's the case maybe Luck should be playing anyway.

He didn't like it since I said it could be our ceiling, 9 wins. The best. Hey I said I might change my mind. 9 wins might not get into the playoffs. And if Peyton is back it might hamper his dream of Peyton sailing into the playoffs at like 13-3 and then winning it all in New Orleans as someone says when it's over, "This one's for Peyton" as the rest of the team carries Peyton off the field chanting his name. Then as soon as the SB is over they announce on ESPN that Peyton is indeed GOAT of all sports. Of course we hate the media here but if it's positive news it is good news.

So I guess I won't predict anymore.

That is unfair, and uncalled for.

We all have opinions, and are allowed to express them.

he didnt state it as opinion, he stated it as fact. had he said it in a way to at least make it sound like an opinion, then i'm all for everyone's right to their opinion....but when opinion is stated as fact, then it is fair to say what i said.

he didnt state it as opinion, he stated it as fact. had he said it in a way to at least make it sound like an opinion, then i'm all for everyone's right to their opinion....but when opinion is stated as fact, then it is fair to say what i said.

I think there maybe some serious disconnect here.

How do you see the recent events? Does the recent Irsay communication provide you with more hope or less hope that PM will remain a Colt?

He didn't like it since I said it could be our ceiling, 9 wins. The best. Hey I said I might change my mind. 9 wins might not get into the playoffs. And if Peyton is back it might hamper his dream of Peyton sailing into the playoffs at like 13-3 and then winning it all in New Orleans as someone says when it's over, "This one's for Peyton" as the rest of the team carries Peyton off the field chanting his name. Then as soon as the SB is over they announce on ESPN that Peyton is indeed GOAT of all sports. Of course we hate the media here but if it's positive news it is good news.

So I guess I won't predict anymore.

I understand wanting to be an eternal optimist, I truly do. And I have no problem with him taking exception to your 9 win guestimate, but to go after you about not having grounds and then make a statement that he has no grounds to make is hypocrisy at it's finest. And I wouldn't let the sour grapes of somebody prevent you predicting anything you feel like predicting. Just make sure you have grounds first! LOL SHM

I don't think this is his big news. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think he's tactless enough to put some headline pertaining to an ultimatum up on the frontpage of the Colts website. It's one thing to say in the media, but I really don't think this is what he's talking about.

I could well be wrong, but I'm sure people are jumping to conclusions on the big news front. I'm not saying it won't be the whole "We hired a former clown to wear the Blue suit" kind of big news, but I don't think this is it either.

I think there maybe some serious disconnect here.

How do you see the recent events? Does the recent Irsay communication provide you with more hope or less hope that PM will remain a Colt?

he didnt state hope, he stated that it is a done deal and Peyton is gone...while there is a chance that that happens, it is far from a fact

I didn't say he hoped or not.

I asked you 2 questions, which you chose not to answer.

to answer your questions, it doesnt change my level of optimism. I think what Peyton and Jim have said before the season even ended, is just as true today, regardless of what the media spins things to say.

And i know a lot of people seem to not believe that espn etc spin things to push their agenda...i suggest those people look up what happened between the owner of the UFC and his interview with espn. Once the interview was over, Lorenzo made it known that he, too had the entire interview recorded by his own people and if ESPN tried to spin it to help push their "mma fighters dont get paid enough/injury risk is too high" agenda, he would air his own recording in full....needless to say, espn didnt know what to do, then

to answer your questions, it doesnt change my level of optimism. I think what Peyton and Jim have said before the season even ended, is just as true today, regardless of what the media spins things to say.

And i know a lot of people seem to not believe that espn etc spin things to push their agenda...i suggest those people look up what happened between the owner of the UFC and his interview with espn. Once the interview was over, Lorenzo made it known that he, too had the entire interview recorded by his own people and if ESPN tried to spin it to help push their "mma fighters dont get paid enough/injury risk is too high" agenda, he would air his own recording in full....needless to say, espn didnt know what to do, then

The media does not put words into either PM's or Irsay's mouth.

So can you tell me honestly, that before today, did you think that Mr. Irsay would pay the $28MM option bonus due March 8?

And now, after hearing what Mr. Irsay has said, do you still think that Mr. Irsay will pay the $28MM option bonus due March 8?

Please do not misinterpret what I am doing.

I am trying to probe where you were and where you are.

I am not attempting to bully you.