Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett & Philip Dorsett

Steamboat_Shaun

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Maybe not but stranger things have happened we needed defense instead we reached for a guy that was a 2nd or 3rd round talent and there were a bunch of defensive players at that spot that almost any of them could have been a difference maker for this defense I'm sorry but that was a mistake.

Im not arguing we needed defense but wr was also a need.

watch and see that Dorsett was a first round pick, just used poorly and he was hampered by some nagging bumps and bruises.

Dorsett isnt nearly as bad as some around here think. We are finding that out now that he is in NE.

Brissett is probably one of the best backup quarterbacks in the league even as of right now.  I can't think of a better situation to have behind your starter outside of maybe Garrapolo.   The only thing that's missing is a better grasp on the playbook I think.  He's got starter level talent.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Brissett is probably one of the best backup quarterbacks in the league even as of right now.  I can't think of a better situation to have behind your starter outside of maybe Garrapolo.   The only thing that's missing is a better grasp on the playbook I think.  He's got starter level talent.

I agree and I didn't cringe everytime he dropped back expecting the worse

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I will say that there are some decent backups out there.  After his performance with NE and now here I will say he shows some good signs but I am not anointing him as anything yet.  Let me see progression from week-to-week.  We have had the wool over our eyes before with others based on quick judgement. 

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say that there are some decent backups out there.  After his performance with NE and now here I will say he shows some good signs but I am not anointing him as anything yet.  Let me see progression from week-to-week.  We have had the wool over our eyes before with others based on quick judgement. 

Decent backups like who?  I can't think of many teams with good backup quarterbacks.  He's probably a better talent than the guy that's starting for the Jaguars right now for that matter.   It's reasonable to want to see more per se, but my personal feeling is he'll prove just what I said.

Just now, krunk said:

Decent backups like who?  I can't think of many teams with good backup quarterbacks.  He's probably a better talent than the guy that's starting for the Jaguars right now for that matter.   It's reasonable to want to see more per se, but my personal feeling is he'll prove just what I said.

I mean anything is better than what the Jags put out there each week.  Backup wise you have some decent players like Matt Moore, Grappollo as you mentioned, AJ McCarron (who might get the nod soon), Nick Foles.  I am just saying that yes out of 32 teams there are some good backups outside of NE.  I am not disagreeing that Brissett has skills but I am not going to praise someone just yet.  I hope he shows progress every week and after the Seahawks or 49'ers game maybe he will look like the top guy.  I hope for this as it only helps us win w/o Luck.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean anything is better than what the Jags put out there each week.  Backup wise you have some decent players like Matt Moore, Grappollo as you mentioned, AJ McCarron (who might get the nod soon), Nick Foles.  I am just saying that yes out of 32 teams there are some good backups outside of NE.  I am not disagreeing that Brissett has skills but I am not going to praise someone just yet.  I hope he shows progress every week and after the Seahawks or 49'ers game maybe he will look like the top guy.  I hope for this as it only helps us win w/o Luck.

I'll give you Garapollo,  McCarron and maybe Nick Foles.     That's about it to me. Yes we do need to see more, but I trust what I've seen will remain consistent as long as we design good game plans to mask what he lacks in terms of the playbook.  I'm hoping we don't fail him in that regard.

I sort of feel like Mccaron should be playing over Andy Dalton.   I just don't really like Dalton all that much.

Just now, krunk said:

I'll give you Garapollo,  McCarron and maybe Nick Foles.     That's about it to me. Yes we do need to see more, but I trust what I've seen will remain consistent as long as we design good game plans to mask what he lacks in terms of the playbook.

I completely agree and really hope for this.  I have publicly not been a huge fan of Chud but last week he did something great.  Let's hope this continues and we can see what Brissett has with more audibles and a better scheme understanding as well.

Just now, krunk said:

I sort of feel like Mccaron should be playing over Andy Dalton.   I just don't really like Dalton all that much.

IMO I think McCarron will be playing soon.  I think if Dalton struggles this week then they have to do something.  You can't fire the OC, already did that haha.

IMO I think McCarron will be playing soon.  I think if Dalton struggles this week then they have to do something.  You can't fire the OC, already did that haha.

McCarron to me has more moxie and ability to lead.  I just have never seen anything special about Andy Dalton.  He always folds in the biggest moments.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

McCarron to me has more moxie and ability to lead.  I just have never seen anything special about Andy Dalton.  He always folds in the biggest moments.

Dalton has had some good years and is a 3-time pro bowler for what that's worth, but to me McCarron is just that QB your guys can get behind.  Like you said he has that moxie.  I am shocked teams have not heavily pursued him yet, or at least I am not aware of anyone.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I will also say that the Bengals have really went backwards with the talent.  They lost some key guys on the o-line and that is not helping Dalton.

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

watch and see that Dorsett was a first round pick, just used poorly and he was hampered by some nagging bumps and bruises.

Dorsett isnt nearly as bad as some around here think. We are finding that out now that he is in NE.

3 catches doesn't tell me much 

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

he seemed to get separation there, is it scheme? or just a fluke? time will tell. i think he will flourish with brady, if he dosent get separation there he will be gone

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he seemed to get separation there, is it scheme? or just a fluke? time will tell. i think he will flourish with brady, if he dosent get separation there he will be gone

Dorsett plays big for his size too.  He always seemed to catch the contested balls.  His last game here and his 1st in NE.  Both were long balls with a guy draped on him. He caught both. 

And don't underestimate the pressure he felt from us fans.  Im sure he heard the 1st round bust talk.

however,  Brissett looks like the real deal to me.  His college stats are intriguing too.  

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

3 catches doesn't tell me much 

Certainly a long way to go to tell but he also won on a couple other routes and Brady just missed him. I think the scheme will help him because of the route combos and putting rbs out on the outside and getting mismatches as NE often does. Let's put it this way...they already are utilizing him more than we did....I mean they even gave him a jet sweep...if they start throwing wr screens to him I might cry lol.

14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

i doubt he will be much different there than he was here

not horrible, but he was our third best WR at best, and was outplayed by undrafted free agents at times 

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Dorsett plays big for his size too.  He always seemed to catch the contested balls.  His last game here and his 1st in NE.  Both were long balls with a guy draped on him. He caught both. 

And don't underestimate the pressure he felt from us fans.  Im sure he heard the 1st round bust talk.

however,  Brissett looks like the real deal to me.  His college stats are intriguing too.  

i concur

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Nothing special?? C'mon man his nickname is classic.  He's very popular with pet owners. 

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

It won't be long before he has a fairly good grasp of the playbook, and certainly more plays on the OC game plan card/sheet.  OTOH, it may be a while before he gets the green light to check out of a bad play at the line.  We'll see. Trevor Siemian is notably better this year because he's been granted the ability to check out of plays at the line, now that he knows the playbook, and can recognize D coverage schemes. It takes QB's a awhile to amass that knowledge and put it to good use.  For now, JB will pretty much have to run what is called in.  Therefore, I hope we have bigger leads by the 4th quarter, because D figure guys out and make adjustments; like last Sunday.

On 18/09/2017 at 7:53 PM, dodsworth said:

If Crief was to have a breakout year it would be this season in a contract year. 

The guy just seems to be an average receiver at best. 

On 18/09/2017 at 8:08 PM, braveheartcolt said:

I was thinking, 'good crief'.....

On 18/09/2017 at 7:27 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

I meant to put some emoticon on there because the comment was tongue in cheek.  JB didn't play too bad and he knows what he did wrong on that throw.

On the comment about the receivers, I was starting to think that Moncrief is a latin word that means "quits on play".

I've been defending him for years now, and he is still very young, but that is becoming increasingly less of an excuse.

I'd still cut him some slack, but he definitely needs to start producing sooner rather than later.

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It won't be long before he has a fairly good grasp of the playbook, and certainly more plays on the OC game plan card/sheet.  OTOH, it may be a while before he gets the green light to check out of a bad play at the line.  We'll see. Trevor Siemian is notably better this year because he's been granted the ability to check out of plays at the line, now that he knows the playbook, and can recognize D coverage schemes. It takes QB's a awhile to amass that knowledge and put it to good use.  For now, JB will pretty much have to run what is called in.  Therefore, I hope we have bigger leads by the 4th quarter, because D figure guys out and make adjustments; like last Sunday.

Great perspective!  Great post!