Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Truth Is: There Isnt Any Place For Peyton To Go

oldunclemark

I'd put the teams into 4 categories:

No chance at all:

Atlanta Falcons Have Franchise QB

Carolina Panthers Young QB they won’t give up on.

Cincinnati Bengals Young QB they won’t give up on.

Detroit Lions Have Franchise QB

Green Bay Packers Have Franchise QB

New England Patriots Have Franchise QB

New Orleans Saints Have Franchise QB very slim chance they do not extend/tag Brees Brees

New York Giants Have Franchise QB

Pittsburgh Steelers Have Franchise QB

San Diego Chargers Have Franchise QB

Not very likely:

Baltimore Ravens Don’t see them giving up on Flacco.

Buffalo Bills Seem to be committed to Fitzpatrick

Chicago Bears Seem to be committed to Cutler

Cleveland Browns Likely not very attractive to Manning

Dallas Cowboys NFC East, should be committed to Romo but with Jones you never know.

Oakland Raiders Invested heavily in Palmer/Campbell

Philadelphia Eagles NFC East even though they could easily get out of Vick deal

St. Louis Rams Lots of $ tied up in Bradford

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Likely committed to Freeman

Washington Redskins Might try to throw $ at him but I don’t see him playing in the NFC east.

Could or should be in the hunt:

Denver Broncos Need a professional QB, strong defense, decent offensive talent

Jacksonville Jaguars Spent a #1, but not very good. Manning owns the division, but not much help elsewhere.

Kansas City Chiefs Would be easy to get out of Cassell deal, decent offensive talent, solid coaching.

Indianapolis Colts Resigning an option but I don’t think Manning wants anything to do with Luck on roster, & cap hit will be 10.4 higher than any other team.

Minnesota Vikings Spent a #1, could be committed, has rolled the dice on Favre/Mcnabb.

San Francisco 49ers Will likely keep Smith and I feel Harbaugh and Manning would clash.

Tennessee Titans Spent a # 1 and have a solid vet, but fan demand/desire might influence a change.

In the Hunt:

Arizona Cardinals Manning to Fitzgerald would be deadly, weak division, would need other additions.

Houston Texans Small cap hit to trade Schaub. Manning owns division, talented team.

Miami Dolphins New HC, dynamic WR, strong D, solid OL, could entice Wayne to go back home.

New York Jets Have a young QB, but can escape deal with 5 million dead space. Ryan’s love for Manning is third behind food and feet.

Seattle Seahawks Need a QB, weak division, weakest choice in this section.

Short term I see an incentive based deal that once triggers are reached, would turn it into a longer deal with guaranteed money entering the equation. Low risk, high reward, any team will put him through a thorough workout and physical, so they will be protected from even the short term risk.

Arizona has to ax their QB./.but they might do it if they're desperate and if Manning imrpves dramatically physically

becuause they cant keep Kolb in case Manning isnt healthly. They have to ax Kolb... and that's high risk

That is the only one that remotely makes sense to me...

Y'all must know something about Matt Schaub that I dont/ My understanding is they are quite happy with him.

It would be insane to lo-jack him for an injured Manning...

Miami plays all cold weather road games and asking a vet QB who has played the vast majority of his career indoors....to make throws with a limited arm...in NE, Buffalo and NY....isnt a plan...

..and tell me you can close tour eyes and imagine Peyton Manning playing for the Seattle SeaHawks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton isnt going to sign to be a teacher while Ponder plays..he could do that in Indy...

Look..my point is....

...everyone's gone out of their way to predict a future based on Peyton's diminished capacity and advancing age...

If you can ignore those reasons and say that no one ELSE signing him is 'absurd'

They why is Indy contemplating being 'absurd'?

I'm talking to you Mr. Irsay!!! :hissy:

Where in my post did I say that Peyton would teach Ponder while Ponder plays? Peyton would play while Ponder is the backup. You really need to stop listening to all the crap being spewed by the media. No one knows what Irsay is planning...NO ONE. People can speculate all they want but the only reason, imo, that Irsay would cut Manning is if the current contract can't or won't be renegotiated.

One question I have that unfortunately for me keeps bouncing around my mind and I have proposed it in a thread or two.

Say with the New CBA they altered the draft to a pure lottery and the Colts get #1. Manning is healthy. Do they pull the plug on 18 and go after Luck? Do the Patriots do the same with Brady?

But you are right. Irsay has had his mind made up for quite some time in my opinion.

Hard to say. I am sure when Irsay signed him in August, they had plans for him to be the QB over the next 5 years. But with his health questions and burdensome contract now, the decision is easy. But if there were circumstances in which 18 is healthy and Luck was still an option, I think it is very possible they still go with Luck.

Arizona has to ax their QB./.but they might do it if they're desperate and if Manning imrpves dramatically physically

becuause they cant keep Kolb in case Manning isnt healthly. They have to ax Kolb... and that's high risk

Y'all must know something about Matt Schaub that I dont/ My understanding is they are quite happy with him.

Miami plays all cold weather road games and asking a vet QB who has played the vast majority of his career indoors....to make throws with a limited arm...in NE, Buffalo and NY....isnt a plan...

..and tell me you can close tour eyes and imagine Peyton Manning playing for the Seattle SeaHawks

Kolb has an option due, so Arizona can get out of it pretty quickly.

Schaub is coming off a major injury of his own, and his been fairly fragile.

Miami @ New England in September isn't a cold game. Miami @ New England is. The schedule is the schedule, and I don't see it being an issue.

If he has a limited arm, he won't be playing. Period.

No I don't see him as a Seahawk but I could see them pursuing him.

I'm not so sure if it's about which team would be best fit be for Manning but rather that any team interested in him faces a similar dilemma as the Colts. If your not sure if his arm is 100 percent, or when that will be, or whether it will hold up for an entire season - some 500 plus regular season throws, pre-season, plus regular season practices, you need to hava plan B - another quarterback - ready to go. At least the Colts have the option of drafting either Luck or Griffin.

Where in my post did I say that Peyton would teach Ponder while Ponder plays? Peyton would play while Ponder is the backup. You really need to stop listening to all the crap being spewed by the media. No one knows what Irsay is planning...NO ONE. People can speculate all they want but the only reason, imo, that Irsay would cut Manning is if the current contract can't or won't be renegotiated.

You said he'd team Ponder......He can play and teach HERE........

The question still stands...If everybody else would be crazy, insane not to (not consider but) sign him..

Why are we cutting ties...

//this fantasy sports people have about their ability to predict the future is what is strange...

The question still stands...If everybody else would be crazy, insane not to (not consider but) sign him..

//this fantasy sports people have about their ability to predict the future is what is strange...

Other teams aren't faced with a 28 million option on top of the 20 million signing bonus we've already paid that will result in salary cap ramifications if he can't play up to his normal level.

That is why he is far more attractive to other teams than he is the Colts.

Whatever deal he ends up signing elsewhere. Take that 2012 cap # and add 10.4 million to it and that is what his 2012 cap hit would be if he were a Colt. It's a rather simple concept.

Not many if any teams would be gambling 28 million on him at this point but a couple might if he were given a clean bill of health.

Kolb has an option due, so Arizona can get out of it pretty quickly.

Schaub is coming off a major injury of his own, and his been fairly fragile.

Miami @ New England in September isn't a cold game. Miami @ New England is. The schedule is the schedule, and I don't see it being an issue.

If he has a limited arm, he won't be playing. Period.

No I don't see him as a Seahawk but I could see them pursuing him.

..Indoor-outdoor is a major issue...

a Manning of a lesser arm (wasn't that a movie in the 90s?) would be of more value in Indy in climate controlled conditions than he would be outdoors

Its not an issue here...

But that list of possibilities you compiled is very impressive....

Call the Indy Star.....

they need a football writer

It may be a timing issue on the status of his arm.

PM will not push back the exercise date of the option bonus, forcing the Colts to cut him given what they know of his arm at March 8. Then later, around the start of the pre-season games, or anytime thereafter, he announces that his arm is back, and negotiates the best deal he can get.

Think about what is likely NOT what is possible...

SF.....No. They'd have to turn their back on the guy who led them to the NFC title gmae.

The coach insists it WILL NOT HAPPEN...

Arizona.....They just gave a wheel barrell full of cash to Kevin Kolb

6-yeer deal..$21 mil guaranteed...

Miami....They won 4 of their last 5

Matt Moore did well for them late in the year....and its an outdoor cold weather division for a guy with now-questionable arm strength..

NY Jets....No chance....again..outdoor cold-weather division and big bucks QB alredaty there.

You can go down the line...//There is no good fit

Its fun for the cable TV guys to speculate on where he might go.

But you guys know that nobody's going to sign Peyton Manning.

But Indy.

^cowpatties^ lol. he could go to Washington, Seattle, KC, Chicago theres teams that could use a QB to get them to the next level

The "cold division games" you keep harping on make up 3 of the games the Dolphins play all year. You don't think he'd have to play in the cold three times anywhere he went?

..Indoor-outdoor is a major issue...

a Manning of a lesser arm (wasn't that a movie in the 90s?) would be of more value in Indy in climate controlled conditions than he would be outdoors

Its not an issue here...

But that list of possibilities you compiled is very impressive....

Call the Indy Star.....

they need a football writer

If his arm isn't an issue here, it won't be an issue in 20 degrees in Buffalo. If it's an issue in 20 degrees in Buffalo, then it would be an issue here inside the dome.

Of course the dome is ideal conditions, but if the arm is an issue he won't be playing at all.

Moore also built the 21-3 lead.

You're blaming him for not beating the Patriots????

Forget Miami.....Too many cold weather in-division road games for an aging QB

playing in the cold once or twice a year won't phase Peyton. Even in Indy he might have to play a cold late season road game. That won't bother him. Also with all due respect to Moore if you have a choice between him and manning the choice will be manning 100 times out of 100. You aren't going to tell a fan base that has been looking for a franchise qb since Marino retired we didn't go after Peyton Manning because we have Matt Moore!

if any team wants peyton, their gonna have to adjust to his style of offense. you cant have peyton run an offense they have ran for years. its not gonna work. not to mention peyton is all about timing. if he goes to another team, wrs, tes, o-line, and rbs we all have to learn peyton's system. this all seems like a diaster to peyton's career if he leaves.

if any team wants peyton, their gonna have to adjust to his style of offense. you cant have peyton run an offense they have ran for years. its not gonna work. not to mention peyton is all about timing. if he goes to another team, wrs, tes, o-line, and rbs we all have to learn peyton's system. this all seems like a diaster to peyton's career if he leaves.

I'm not even sure the Colts want to run a peyton-style offense anymore.

Week 6 @ NYJ 62 degrees

Week 15 @ Buf 31

Week 16 @ NE 30

Week 1 @ Buf 62

Week 14 @ NYJ 53

Week 17 @ NE 47

Wk 8 @ NYJ 54

Wk 9 @ NE 65

WK 12 @ Buf 49

Wk 3 @ NE 73

Wk 14 @ Buf DOME (Toronto)

Wk 17 @ NYJ 65

Wk 3 @ NYJ 72

Wk 14 @ BUF 30

Wk 16 @ NE 43

5 years

3 of those 14 "all cold weather road games" were under freezing.

what makes you think that? the defense is changing but we hasnt done anything to get away from peyton's offense.

if that was true we would have fired Clyde and not hired his old qb coach as the oc. If manning comes back I am sure they would want to tweak it some but I don't think they want to toss it out at start over.

We have a new HC, and a new OC (even though he was PM's old QB coach).

I think the Colts have seen how a PM-centric offense was a liability last season (see my post on Metzelaar's comments), when no QB we put in could run it efficiently.

I hope the Colts install a more versatile offense that is not PM-centric.

Whether or not PM is here.

I think the Colts have seen how a PM-centric offense was a liability last season (see my post on Metzelaar's comments), when no QB we put in could run it efficiently.

I wanted a move to the WCO with or without Manning, but that won't be happening. Hopefully the offense will be one that is easier for any QB to run, so if Luck does go down or miss time then whatever back up can come in and not miss too much of a beat.

They also kept the old OC on the staff which is very rare. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't like something about what he was doing. Also I don't think they just happened to hire Peyton's old QB coach by mistake. I think they like the offense and while it might need to be tweeked I don't think it's going to be a total overhaul. IF Manning comes back I would look for a few things to be done different but for it to be mostly the same. If it's Luck they have always said if there was one college prospect that could learn what Manning does it's Luck. I think clearly they would have to make some changes for a rookie in Luck vs. Manning but the core of the offense I think would remain the same.

You're probably right about SF, although if they were smart they'd dump the underachieving Smith for the GOAT.

Manning > Sanchize.....Rex Ryan would sooo bench Sanchez to bring in Manning, even if Sanchez cries about it to the media and says he wants to fight him. Plus Peyton has always performed pretty well in cold climates. Just because he's played inside most of his career doesn't mean he sucks in the elements. But alas, he won't go there because New York isn't big enough for two Mannings.

Arizona found out last year Kolb was a mistake. Never should of payed someone who played 3 games that kind of contract. They'd dump him for Manning in a heartbeat. It's not like John Skelton is the answer for them. Manning to Fitzgerald wouldn't really be fair though.

I hardly think Miami is gonna turn down Big P because they have Matt Moore. Yeah he's a capable guy, but he ain't no franchise QB, he's a Kyle Orton kind of guy. He can take a really strong team, and win games with them. Miami has a solid team and Peyton Manning makes them a strong contender. I wouldn't say it's his best fit though.

Dallas would be a decent fit. They've underachieved so long they might do well to have some quality veteran leadership in their locker room. They have quite a few solid players on that team. Although I confess, I might be in the minority here, but I think Romo is a pretty good quarterback.

The Skins are a good fit. They started out strong last year, but faded after injuries hit their team, and the fact that Rex Grossman was their QB finally sunk in with the rest of the league. They have a good coach, a very underrated defense, a good Oline, and who cares who the WRs are if they have Peyton right? He makes that team an instant 12 win team.

Tennessee would work. They are really strong on both sides of the ball in the trenches. Britt would be spectacular with a good QB throwing to him. Jared Cook and Nate Washington would be quality 2nd and 3rd options. Chris Johnson might be a bit of a tool, but he's also pretty fast. I honestly thought they would be kind of a sleeper team last year, and I think if they wouldn't have so adamantly stuck with a hurt Hasselbeck, Locker could have snuck them into the playoffs.

J-ville could take him and he'd work wonders with that team. They have a stout defense, MJD, and a bunch of no-name receivers that Peyton would likely turn into Pro Bowlers. Plus he'd get to close out his career in the sunshine state, and the Jags wouldn't have to worry about empty seats for a while.

Houston would be an outrageously good fit for him. If he wants to go to a team with a top defense, top rushing attack, and Andre Johnson to throw the ball to of course. I don't know if they'd make a play for him, but that would all but guarantee a SB for them next year. Not sure what Schaub's contract situation looks like, but they could trade him and make their team even stronger.

H*** he makes Cleveland a 12 win team in my book. If he can make our 2-14 team into annual division winners, he can turn Cleveland into a contender. They've got some good pieces on D, Joe Haden, Phil Taylor, D'Qwell Jackson, Jabaal Sheard. On offense he'd have the best LT in the game protecting his blindside. Sure they have some holes at the skill positions but he'd make it work.

Seattle has been tossed out there a couple times. I could see him going there. They are a scrappy team, who managed to win 7 games with a QB combo of Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. Their big offseason acquisition, Sidney Rice, got hurt halfway through the year if I'm not mistaken, but they do have weapons to get the ball to. Marshawn Lynch is one of my favorite backs in the league, just because of how hard he is to bring down once he gets going. Their defense was top ten as well if I recall. The NFC West is such a strange division though. Sure the Niners destroyed it this year, but with the way it seems to work, it wouldn't shock me at all if Seattle pulled off a division title again....and that's without Manning. You replace Tarvaris Jackson with Peyton Manning, and you've got yourself a quality team.

I'm not sure what KC plans to do about the QB position. I've never felt Cassell was all that. I like Orton and admire his grittyness, but he's really just a journeyman. That team should have won the division this year. They have an outstanding group of LBs in Johnson, Hali, and Houston. Two big time CBs in Flowers and Carr, and an offense that has some true playmakers. McCluster, Bowe, and Breaston. Next year with Charles, Moeki, and Berry back, they'll be back in the mix for the West. With Peyton Manning taking snaps, they go from contending for the West, to contending for the AFC.

I know that Baltimore seems to like Flacco a lot, but if I'm them, and Peyton Manning becomes a free agent, I'd seriously consider trading Flacco and making a serious run at a SB title. I don't know what it is about their offense, but when you have Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Lee Evans, and that burner of a rookie Torrey Smith, as a quarterback you have to be able to throw more than 20 touchdown passes. I know they're a run first team, but all I have ever seen in Flacco is a game manager. In the AFC Championship game, he showed up to play, and they came up short because of a dropped pass, and a shanked field goal. As a Colts fan I know what it's like to lose on such a craptastic mistake. But still I can't help but think how that team would do with a better QB, and a better OC. Plus how sweet would it be, just as a fan of the game, to see Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed make a final Super Bowl run, on the same team. For those three guys to ride off into the sunset as Champs, I think would make for pretty good football.

So I guess to make a long post short, there are definitely a lot of places that Peyton Manning would be welcome. I just hope it doesn't come down to that though. He should be wearing a horseshoe on his helmet next year. But if push does come to shove, I hope he goes somewhere he can go out with a SB win.

Yes, I said he could teach Ponder but I never said Ponder would be the one playing. yes, Peyton could teach here as well and that's what I hope happens. The bottom line is that nothing has been decided no matter what the media or some fans want to say. Right now it's all about the contract, March 8th and what Peyton's health will be on March 8th. IF Peyton wants to remain a Colt then Irsay has said definitively that that is what will happen, but Peyton will pretty much have to renegotiate that contract to push the date back or just start from scratch. He could be cut and re-signed but like FJC mentioned, we would owe him the $10 mil from his current contract plus whatever he's paid in his new contract though I'm sure they could work that out.

Bottom line, step back away from the ledge. Nothing is official..nothing has been determined.

dude! The colts have been paying Peyton a crap load of cash since forever, money shouldnt ever be an issue. the last thing any NFL team wants to do is start over with a QB. the colts are a system offense anyway, and peyton made it impossible for any other qb to have success in to increase his value TO THIS TEAM.

just pay him, play him, and let it play out, wanna draft luck, draft him. but keep peyton, geez. The colts would just spend that 36 mil on ryan diem anyway.

dude! The colts have been paying Peyton a crap load of cash since forever, money shouldnt ever be an issue. the last thing any NFL team wants to do is start over with a QB. the colts are a system offense anyway, and peyton made it impossible for any other qb to have success in to increase his value TO THIS TEAM.

just pay him, play him, and let it play out, wanna draft luck, draft him. but keep peyton, geez. The colts would just spend that 36 mil on ryan diem anyway.

and if Peyton's nerve in his arm never comes back and he has to retire at the start of training camp causing us to release him at then spend a third of our cap on him and making us gut the team in the process racking up even more cap hits along the way and because we choose to keeping having Luck maybe say you know on second thought I don't want to go to Indy with Manning there (and yes he's left the door open for that) and now be looking at a team that was even worse than last year's team. Then what? Stand up and blame Irsay for being such an * and he should have seen this coming and we should have never given him the bonus if he wasn't fully healthy ignroing the fact that is what people like yourself are calling for him to do?

I am all for keeping Peyton Manning IF healthy. However, you can't just ignore his health and just blindy commit to him on faith and out of loyality. You can wreck the future of the franchise for a good 10 years if you get it wrong. That's not something you just do. Irsay is being smart about this and taking his time to make the decision. Even when he does if he release Manning I would look for them to either one offer Manning a chance to push the bonus date back (even though I don't think that is a wise move for the Colts because of the impacts on free agency) and or two offer Manning a chance to work out a new contract with the team that is driven based on incentives. If they do that though that deal WILL be in place before the Colts release him meaning all he has to do is turn around and sign the contract. If Manning turns down both and isn't healthy that really leaves the Colts with no choice. They have to release him because if you get it wrong you'll kill the franchise. Also, frankly if you release him and get it wrong because he can still play you have a better chance of getting it right with Luck and rebuilding that way than you do if you get it wrong and hold on to him and can't play of building a team that can compete anytime in the near future.

You can't spend 51 million on the QB position. That is cap suicide. If Peyton really wants to stay a Colt time for him to step up to the plate and restructure a contract that is all incentive based. So far he has shown no willingness to do that. He has enough money for his grandkid's grandkids. Talk is cheap. SHOW ME you really want to retire as a Colt.

a new HC to change the defense not the offense.

Do you guys honestly believe that Peyton Manning couldn't find work?

Daunte Culpepper, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Hasselbeck, and Jason Cambell are about 1 eighth Manning's caliber and have all found starting jobs in recent years.

If the Colts release Peyton there will be 31 teams who at least have the "Manning discussion".

Colts will sign manning to an incentive based contract after releasing him before the deadline...don't believe the media hype, they all want to talk about where he'll go because it's too boring a topic to discuss the fact that he might stay. All those articles coming out daily "claiming" they have sources are all b.s....nobody knows what Irsay and Peyton are discussing, and I would think that they'd keep all this to themselves rather than telling different people; notice how it's been awfully quite this week...