Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Truth Is: There Isnt Any Place For Peyton To Go

oldunclemark

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys honestly believe that Peyton Manning couldn't find work?

Daunte Culpepper, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Hasselbeck, and Jason Cambell are about 1 eighth Manning's caliber and have all found starting jobs in recent years.

If the Colts release Peyton there will be 31 teams who at least have the "Manning discussion".

Yes, Daunte, Tavaris, Matt and Jason are about 1/8th of PM's caliber. However, they come at about 1/16th of his price tag.

And, they come without any health/arm issues.

And, some of them at least, come younger than PM.

Is Miami still in the divsion with the Jets? and Buffalo? and New England?

Its cold there in November and December...

..Tennessee and Jacksonville are not what you'd call contenders.

..and they have QBs now..why ashcan them for a guy with questionable arm strength..

Gotta be an indoor contending team or a warm weather division...

Why? You saying Peyton can't handle the cold or elements?

Yes, Daunte, Tavaris, Matt and Jason are about 1/8th of PM's caliber. However, they come at about 1/16th of his price tag.

And, they come without any health/arm issues.

And, some of them at least, come younger than PM.

Daunte had injury concerns, and if nobody comes calling (which is a huge if) do you really think Peyton won't lower his price tag a bit?

I think anyone would rather play in warm weather. I mean is there anyone out there who honestly would seek to play in Green Bay for the weather?

To be fair, the way the Packers are built I don't even think they would prefer to play in GB. They have to suck it up though. ;)

Hey it builds character and street cred to win games in the cold and elements. :)

dude! The colts have been paying Peyton a crap load of cash since forever, money shouldnt ever be an issue. the last thing any NFL team wants to do is start over with a QB. the colts are a system offense anyway, and peyton made it impossible for any other qb to have success in to increase his value TO THIS TEAM.

just pay him, play him, and let it play out, wanna draft luck, draft him. but keep peyton, geez. The colts would just spend that 36 mil on ryan diem anyway.

What? Ryan Diem is not getting 36mill next year, Ryan Diem is not a 17M cap hit, Ryan Diem is not in his late 30s coming off a 3rd surgery with a regenerating nerve. Cmon man use some common sense and logic. If the Colts just paid Manning regardless of his health just to see what happens, it would cripple the franchise for years to come if there is some kind of problem. His cap hit gets worse every year and it would affect his legacy if he came back and had 2, 3 or 4 terrible seasons with the Colts.

Why are you guys NOT caring about the franchise and its future? Manning is one player and should not be above the franchise. Some of us have sat through the 12,13,14 loss seasons and know how important it is to make sure the long term future is more important than a short term risk.

Colts will sign manning to an incentive based contract after releasing him before the deadline...don't believe the media hype, they all want to talk about where he'll go because it's too boring a topic to discuss the fact that he might stay. All those articles coming out daily "claiming" they have sources are all b.s....nobody knows what Irsay and Peyton are discussing, and I would think that they'd keep all this to themselves rather than telling different people; notice how it's been awfully quite this week...

if the media hype was talking about Manning staying as a Colt instead of leaving, would you still say the same things? Would the sources still be b.s.? Its a two way road my friend. You claim the media has b.s. sources and everything but go on to proclaim Manning will sign an incentive based contract. You are sure soundling like the media.

The question still stands...If everybody else would be crazy, insane not to (not consider but) sign him..

Why are we cutting ties...

Because other teams can wait longer for Peyton to heal before commiting to open up cap space for his signing.

Other teams can set a contract that protects them in case Peyton does not produce, even aftyer passing a physical and waiting longer for nereve regeneration.

Other teams can increase short term revenues with Peytons presence.

No of these things applies to the Colts.

Colts must make decision before March 8, no time to see hjow he progresses.

Colts get saddled with a insurmountable payout and cap hit if he's not released.

If released, Colts are still at a 10.4 million cap disadvantage compared to other teams in an renegotiated, incentive laden deal.

Colts won't lose (much) revenue, maybe some jersey sales. butt's will be in seats.

And, only teams that can make cap space and are close but in need of short term help only likely will ante up. Vikings after Favre aren't doing so hot... after almost making the SB the year we went. So the penalty of giving it a go can be be a letdown too.

I thought that money going to him was bonus cash, not going against the cap? or how does that work? remember I'm just a fan.

Rule#1 in NFL, keep really competitive players. Peyton is THE MOST competitive player in the entire league....IMO.

People would say Favre is, but Favre is happy crappy with every fat * who tackles and breaks him. Peyton wants to kill everyone on the field every time he makes a mistake, that kind of attitude is worth paying for in the NFL.

He's the knot that keeps this team trying, loosen him, get rid of him and we're just another also ran. Leaders are hard to find.

I thought that money going to him was bonus cash, not going against the cap? or how does that work? remember I'm just a fan.

Rule#1 in NFL, keep really competitive players. Peyton is THE MOST competitive player in the entire league....IMO.

People would say Favre is, but Favre is happy crappy with every fat * who tackles and breaks him. Peyton wants to kill everyone on the field every time he makes a mistake, that kind of attitude is worth paying for in the NFL.

He's the knot that keeps this team trying, loosen him, get rid of him and we're just another also ran. Leaders are hard to find.

All bonus monies are applicable to the cap, and are pro-rated throughout the length of the contract.

Example: Signing bonus paid in 2011 $20MM, pro-rated to $20/5 years = $4MM per year, every year in the cap.

Example: Option bonus paid in March, $28MM, pro-rated to $28/5 years = $5.6MM per year, every year in the cap.

Should the player retire or is cut before the end of the 5 year contract, all pro-rated bonus pieces accelerate forward to hit the cap the year he is cut/retires.

Worse case scenario for PM..pay the option bonus, he retires next week, and the Colts experience an nice $38.4MM cap hit or 32% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing in 2012.

Think about what is likely NOT what is possible...

SF.....No. They'd have to turn their back on the guy who led them to the NFC title gmae.

The coach insists it WILL NOT HAPPEN...

Arizona.....They just gave a wheel barrell full of cash to Kevin Kolb

6-yeer deal..$21 mil guaranteed...

Miami....They won 4 of their last 5

Matt Moore did well for them late in the year....and its an outdoor cold weather division for a guy with now-questionable arm strength..

NY Jets....No chance....again..outdoor cold-weather division and big bucks QB alredaty there.

You can go down the line...//There is no good fit

Its fun for the cable TV guys to speculate on where he might go.

But you guys know that nobody's going to sign Peyton Manning.

But Indy.

With all due respect... pfffft!

Think about what is likely NOT what is possible...

SF.....No. They'd have to turn their back on the guy who led them to the NFC title gmae.

The coach insists it WILL NOT HAPPEN...

If they can get to the NFC Championship Game with Alex Smith, they're pretty much penciled into the Super Bowl with Peyton. Plenty of good reasons to go after him.

Arizona.....They just gave a wheel barrell full of cash to Kevin Kolb

6-yeer deal..$21 mil guaranteed...

Decent defense, solid running game, a great pass catcher in Fitz. Knows the coach well, not a hard division, the last time an old QB went there to end his career, he ended up going to the Super Bowl.

Miami....They won 4 of their last 5

Matt Moore did well for them late in the year....and its an outdoor cold weather division for a guy with now-questionable arm strength..

Solid defense, decent running game, great pass catcher in Brandon Marshall. Plus one of the best offensive tackles in the league

NY Jets....No chance....again..outdoor cold-weather division and big bucks QB alredaty there.

Part of me would die if he went here

Just playing Devil's advocate

Was not listening closely but I basically heard Polian tell a Redskins fan on the radio tonight while out that yes, Peyton could fit in the Shanahan offense and thrive.

According to this fan. You take Peyton and keep Grossman as a back up. Draft an o lineman or something early this year.

Was not listening closely but I basically heard Polian tell a Redskins fan on the radio tonight while out that yes, Peyton could fit in the Shanahan offense and thrive.

According to this fan. You take Peyton and keep Grossman as a back up. Draft an o lineman or something early this year.

Only the worst QB"s in the world fail to thrive in the WCO. Manning would own it. I just don't see him really considering Washington unless they are the only one to ask him to dance.

There are 2 things you can count on in the NFL: 1. Defenses win championships 2. Old QB's last hurrahs w/ other teams never win the Super Bowl. Warner came close.

QBs 35+ don't really tend to win SBs anyway. Maybe if the run game or D is top notch though which can be said for any QB.

QBs 35+ don't really tend to win SBs anyway. Maybe if the run game or D is top notch though which can be said for any QB.

You may be interested in my post that correlates QB age and QB performace: http://forums.colts....nce-of-nfl-qbs/

Franchise (10+ years starting) QBs begin to decline in performance around the age of 31.

Also, another of my posts that shows the retirement ages of great QBs: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/5234-the-decline-and-retirement-age-of-great-nfl-qbs/

Moore also built the 21-3 lead.

You're blaming him for not beating the Patriots????

Forget Miami.....Too many cold weather in-division road games for an aging QB

Sure he built the 21-3 lead. But he also did not score more then a field goal in the second half. He has to step it up if he wants to be the future of the organization. A field goal in a entire half? Against the worst pass defense in the league? Thats pathetic and I refuse to give him a pass because it is the patriots although you seem to believe he deserves it. Miami has beaten the patriots recently and won the divison without matt moore. So what good is a QB that can't beat New England? Why is it not his fault for blowing a 21-3 halftime lead against the worst pass defense in the NFL? I do blame him for that loss.

You may be interested in my post that correlates QB age and QB performace: http://forums.colts....nce-of-nfl-qbs/

Franchise (10+ years starting) QBs begin to decline in performance around the age of 31.

Also, another of my posts that shows the retirement ages of great QBs: http://forums.colts....-great-nfl-qbs/

Good stuff and read it. Read some of it last offseason and it got me a bit worried. I know anything can happen and a QB can have success at 35+. But, history does not favor QBs to win titles past this age, especially if they are the focal point.

Arizona nearly pulled it off with Warner recently though but they were a Cinderalla team to me more then anything. Nobody expected them to contend.

It is a bit haunting that the decline starts at around 31. Eli turned 31 in January. Rodgers turned 28 in December. A guy like Rodgers I sincerely hope does not face too many one and dones in the near future with a porous D if he can't carry them all the time.

I actually am becoming very high on teams like the Texans and Lions. I think Stafford and company have a real shot to win a few titles someday.

Good stuff and read it. Read some of it last offseason and it got me a bit worried. I know anything can happen and a QB can have success at 35+. But, history does not favor QBs to win titles past this age, especially if they are the focal point.

Arizona nearly pulled it off with Warner recently though but they were a Cinderalla team to me more then anything. Nobody expected them to contend.

It is a bit haunting that the decline starts at around 31. Eli turned 31 in January. Rodgers turned 28 in December. A guy like Rodgers I sincerely hope does not face too many one and dones in the near future with a porous D if he can't carry them all the time.

I actually am becoming very high on teams like the Texans and Lions. I think Stafford and company have a real shot to win a few titles someday.

I see the old guard moving on.

I think in about 3-4 years, the Colts will be back in the race, if they start Luck right away.

IMO a healthy Manning has quite a few options for teams that want him, we will not know until draft day if Peyton plays Irsay's game and pushes back the bonus date.

Now the reasons: 1. To sell season tickets- If fans know Peyton is going to be gone, it could hurt season ticket sales. 2. It gives the Colts the upper hand on Draft day- If the other teams do not know Peyton's medical status, then will not know what the Colts are going to do, only what should do. 3. It keeps any team wanting sign Peyton from drafting any help needed. Sure is smart business sense, but makes for bad P.R.