Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Truth Is: There Isnt Any Place For Peyton To Go

oldunclemark

Think about what is likely NOT what is possible...

SF.....No. They'd have to turn their back on the guy who led them to the NFC title gmae.

The coach insists it WILL NOT HAPPEN...

Arizona.....They just gave a wheel barrell full of cash to Kevin Kolb

6-yeer deal..$21 mil guaranteed...

Miami....They won 4 of their last 5

Matt Moore did well for them late in the year....and its an outdoor cold weather division for a guy with now-questionable arm strength..

NY Jets....No chance....again..outdoor cold-weather division and big bucks QB alredaty there.

You can go down the line...//There is no good fit

Its fun for the cable TV guys to speculate on where he might go.

But you guys know that nobody's going to sign Peyton Manning.

But Indy.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SF.....No. They'd have to turn their back on the guy who led them to the NFC title gmae.

Matt Moore did well for them late in the year....and its an outdoor cold weather division for a guy with now-questionable arm strength..

NY Jets....No chance....again..outdoor cold-weather division and big bucks QB alredaty there.

But Indy.

Did I miss something.... Miami is cold weather??? What about TN (okay yeah outdoor I know), or Jags?

Miami doesn't have a top caliber QB and I'm pretty sure the owner or someone came out and said they would pursue Manning if he was cut.

I also don't think cold weather will affect Mannings decision especially if his primary motive is to win a Super Bowl.

But Indy.

I don't buy these reasons for Miami at all. Sure he will have to play a couple of cold road games but we have seen him win tough games outside before such as playing at the steelers. I don't think Peyton would mind having to go play Buffalo lol. I also don't think he would dislike playing the patriots or the jets twice a year hes a very competitive guy.

That brings us to your second point, Matt Moore did win some games but he hasn't shown he can play on the big stage with the big boys. I mean he blew a 21-3 lead at halftime against the patriots, I don't see how you can say for sure he is the future guy for the dolphins.

If Manning is healthy and available there will be plenty of suitors especially teams in the win now scenerio.

People say all the right things to the media about their guy and so on, but if Manning was really healthy and ready to go the 49ers would jump at it becuase part of their problem is that their QB just is not that good.

Its nice to think he has no place to go because it adds to the chance he stays, but teams will jump at the chance if he is helathy. Now that is a very big if and some teams will probably be a bit cautious.

Did I miss something.... Miami is cold weather??? What about TN (okay yeah outdoor I know), or Jags?

Is Miami still in the divsion with the Jets? and Buffalo? and New England?

Its cold there in November and December...

..Tennessee and Jacksonville are not what you'd call contenders.

..and they have QBs now..why ashcan them for a guy with questionable arm strength..

Gotta be an indoor contending team or a warm weather division...

I don't buy these reasons for Miami at all. Sure he will have to play a couple of cold road games but we have seen him win tough games outside before such as playing at the steelers. I don't think Peyton would mind having to go play Buffalo lol. I also don't think he would dislike playing the patriots or the jets twice a year hes a very competitive guy.

That brings us to your second point, Matt Moore did win some games but he hasn't shown he can play on the big stage with the big boys. I mean he blew a 21-3 lead at halftime against the patriots, I don't see how you can say for sure he is the future guy for the dolphins.

Moore also built the 21-3 lead.

You're blaming him for not beating the Patriots????

Forget Miami.....Too many cold weather in-division road games for an aging QB

Is Miami still in the divsion with the Jets? and Buffalo? and New England?

Its cold there in November and December...

..Tennessee and Jacksonville are not what you'd call contenders.

..and they have QBs now..why ashcan them for a guy with questionable arm strength..

Gotta be an indoor contending team or a warm weather division...

Yeah I got that...

TN or Jags not contenders??? Well A Colts team without him is only a 2-14 team can't see how TN, or Jags would be worse, I mean obviously Colts without Manning wasn't a contender team, heaven knows how long he has been covering that up....

Yeah I got that...

TN or Jags not contenders??? Well A Colts team without him is only a 2-14 team can't see how TN, or Jags would be worse, I mean obviously Colts without Manning wasn't a contender team, heaven knows how long he has been covering that up....

That's the point....Jedi....

The colts team with him was 16-3 in 2009....10-7 in 2010

Manning is worth far more to Indy than he is to anyone else..

Moore also built the 21-3 lead.

You're blaming him for not beating the Patriots????

Forget Miami.....Too many cold weather in-division road games for an aging QB

I've never heard Manning say anything about not wanting to play on a team that is cold weather or has cold weather road games. Chances are wherever he goes, he will end up playing cold weather games anyways. I doubt it affects his decision. Even if he stays in Indy, he knows that he will end up playing road games in cold weather anyways so I really dont think it matters to him. Maybe home games.

But Indy.

I strongly agree with the last two words of this post. However you're being quite selective about where he could go. Many owners would sign him with ink drawn from the blood of their first born just to get fans in the seats.

Signing Manning = an instantaneous jump in season ticket sales the likes of which this league has never seen.

I've never heard Manning say anything about not wanting to play on a team that is cold weather or has cold weather road games. Chances are wherever he goes, he will end up playing cold weather games anyways. I doubt it affects his decision. Even if he stays in Indy, he knows that he will end up playing road games in cold weather anyways so I really dont think it matters to him. Maybe home games.

I'm saying it........and the guys who sign the big checks must consider say it..

The question is Peyton's arm strength ..right.?

That's what we're waiting on...

So he's worth more to an indoor team that plays in warm weather division foes (Indy) than he is to a team that plays key games n Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, New York or Buffalo in December.

..an 85% Manning could still play for the Colts......indoors...and in Jacksonville..

but not for Baltimore or the Jets or Minnesota..where the key league road games are outdoors in bad weather

Peyton is worth more to US than he is to anyone else..

Kolb also has his own option bonus due coming up soon, so the Cards can get out of that deal if they want.

The Jets can get out of Sanchez deal with a 5 million or so hit, and about 9 million savings.

The Dolphins don't have a ton invested in the QB position.

The Texans would eat about 3.2 million by cutting Schaub...

I think a lot of teams would sign him, regardless of cost or weather. I don't buy the idea that there are a bunch of "win-now" contenders, however, as every team wants to win now while building for the future.

I agree with oldunclemark and ruksak about one thing: Indy is still the best fit for him. If other teams can acquire Manning without handicap, the Colts can keep him. If Manning can play, he will stay. Period.

I strongly agree with the last two words of this post. However you're being quite selective about where he could go. Many owners would sign him with ink drawn from the blood of their first born just to get fans in the seats.

Signing Manning = an instantaneous jump in season ticket sales the likes of which this league has never seen.

I know I have money saved back to get his Nike Jersey this year, just wondering which team will get the money

But Indy.

You have go to be kidding me? Nobody's going to sign Manning? Just Dear God.

First off, anything that anyone from another team says about Manning while he is under contract to the Colts means next to nothing.

Your rationale for those other teams is just comical. More throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks and so far, nothing has stuck.

Do really believe the stuff you throw out here or you just trying to be off the wall?

I think a lot of teams would sign him, regardless of cost or weather. I don't buy the idea that there are a bunch of "win-now" contenders, however, as every team wants to win now while building for the future.

I agree with oldunclemark and ruksak about one thing: Indy is still the best fit for him. If other teams can acquire Manning without handicap, the Colts can keep him. If Manning can play, he will stay. Period.

Da Nile is more than just a river in Egypt.

I hope I am wrong because I love watching Manning play. But I don't think I will be wrong. Just my own thought but I believe that Irsay has already made up his mind, especially if there is no wiggle room on the bonus date.

You have go to be kidding me? Nobody's going to sign Manning? Just Dear God.

First off, anything that anyone from another team says about Manning while he is under contract to the Colts means next to nothing.

Your rationale for those other teams is just comical. More throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks and so far, nothing has stuck.

Do really believe the stuff you throw out here or you just trying to be off the wall?

Yada, Yada, Yada

...and the question still stands........Name the team...Try 'em all..

We've gone on and on about how his arm is 85%....its national news...

Everybody knows every detail....

If he is where he is.....who deep six's their QB and signs him ?

Yada, Yada, Yada

You have a much shorter list of teams who would not have an interest. Packers, Pats, Panthers, Chargers, Giants, Bears, Rams, and a few others. Everyone else will absolutely do their homework on him and consider their options. If you think otherwise, you are absolutely kidding yourself.

all the reasons for someone else signing him are even better reasons for us keeping him..

...forget the 2-14...WE are a playoff contender with even an 85-90% Manning....

Watch 2012 tapes and see how many deep balls we threw.....its few...

You have 2012 tapes of games that have yet to be played?

You're better than Madame Zelda and her tea leaves. :lol:

You have a much shorter list of teams who would not have an interest. Packers, Pats, Panthers, Chargers, Giants, Bears, Rams, and a few others. Everyone else will absolutely do their homework on him and consider their options. If you think otherwise, you are absolutely kidding yourself.

I didnt say they wouldnt.....

do their homework and consider the options.. of course 'J'

Of course they would CONSIDER him....

But all we've heard till now is that he's 85-90% at best..

the arm strength is not there...He cant play right now and there is no airtight prognosis

What businessman pays heavily for a limited, time-depreciating asset ......that may not ever give him a return??

You would have to be kidding yourself to sign him.

Unless you're indy...

I'm saying it........and the guys who sign the big checks must consider say it..

The question is Peyton's arm strength ..right.?

That's what we're waiting on...

So he's worth more to an indoor team that plays in warm weather division foes (Indy) than he is to a team that plays key games n Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, New York or Buffalo in December.

..an 85% Manning could still play for the Colts......indoors...and in Jacksonville..

but not for Baltimore or the Jets or Minnesota..where the key league road games are outdoors in bad weather

Peyton is worth more to US than he is to anyone else..

The more you post the more convinced I am that you post drunk. Seriously I cannot see weather being an issue. I don't think Miami or Washington would sign Peyton without giving it a second thought. Peyton wouldn't fit in with Miami because they're in a cold weather divison? You do know how the passing game works in bad weather games right? When you get into a game outdoors where weather/wind is an issue then you pretty much go into a west coast style offense throwing a lot of short and intermediate passes. If Manning's arm is at 85% now then there's no reason to think he couldn't complete these types of passes 9-10 months from now when he would actually be playing these games outdoors. Besides, if Chad Pennington can have success in Miami then there is absolutely no reason to think that Peyton with 85% arm strength couldn't as well. Also, they were reporting on NFL32 that Peyton was already throwing 40-45 yards. Guess what, that's about the limit of Pennington's arm strength at 100%.

Yada, Yada, Yada

You can yada yada all you want but he's right. There are a number of teams that would sign Peyton in a second if healthy. Miami would sign Peyton in a heart beat. I think the same is true of Washington despite what Theisman told them. They could easily sign Peyton and draft RG3 and let RG3 learn under Peyton while Peyton finishes his career. I think the Jets would give serious consideration to signing Peyton and allow Sanchez to learn from Peyton for a couple of years. I think the Cowboys would consider it as well. I don't believe they're sold on Romo but that's just my opinion. Minnesota could sign Peyton and let him teach Ponder for a couple of years. Despite what Harbaugh says I do think San Fran would give it consideration. Also remember that most coaches don't determine what FA's are signed so Harbaugh may have little to no say in the matter.

I can appreciate the argument that Indy is the best place for Peyton and I hope as much as anyone that he stays here. However, to say that there is no other team for him is completely absurd.

I didnt say they wouldnt.....

do their homework and consider the options.. of course 'J'

Of course they would CONSIDER him....

But all we've heard till now is that he's 85-90% at best..

the arm strength is not there...He cant play right now and there is no airtight prognosis

What businessman pays heavily for a limited, time-depreciating asset ......that may not ever give him a return??

You would have to be kidding yourself to sign him.

Unless you're indy...

Does this really need to be explained to you?

1) A team will not sign him until he can pass a physical and prove that he can make the necessary throws.

2) Any team who does sign him will do so on an incentive laden deal.

3) Why is Indy exempt from this? The contract as it exists now is untenable. They would have to have the same assurances that other teams do.

The more you post the more convinced I am that you post drunk. Seriously I cannot see weather being an issue. I don't think Miami or Washington would sign Peyton without giving it a second thought. Peyton wouldn't fit in with Miami because they're in a cold weather divison? You do know how the passing game works in bad weather games right? When you get into a game outdoors where weather/wind is an issue then you pretty much go into a west coast style offense throwing a lot of short and intermediate passes. If Manning's arm is at 85% now then there's no reason to think he couldn't complete these types of passes 9-10 months from now when he would actually be playing these games outdoors. Besides, if Chad Pennington can have success in Miami then there is absolutely no reason to think that Peyton with 85% arm strength couldn't as well. Also, they were reporting on NFL32 that Peyton was already throwing 40-45 yards. Guess what, that's about the limit of Pennington's arm strength at 100%.

You can yada yada all you want but he's right. There are a number of teams that would sign Peyton in a second if healthy. Miami would sign Peyton in a heart beat. I think the same is true of Washington despite what Theisman told them. They could easily sign Peyton and draft RG3 and let RG3 learn under Peyton while Peyton finishes his career. I think the Jets would give serious consideration to signing Peyton and allow Sanchez to learn from Peyton for a couple of years. I think the Cowboys would consider it as well. I don't believe they're sold on Romo but that's just my opinion. Minnesota could sign Peyton and let him teach Ponder for a couple of years. Despite what Harbaugh says I do think San Fran would give it consideration. Also remember that most coaches don't determine what FA's are signed so Harbaugh may have little to no say in the matter.

I can appreciate the argument that Indy is the best place for Peyton and I hope as much as anyone that he stays here. However, to say that there is no other team for him is completely absurd.

Peyton isnt going to sign to be a teacher while Ponder plays..he could do that in Indy...

Look..my point is....

...everyone's gone out of their way to predict a future based on Peyton's diminished capacity and advancing age...

If you can ignore those reasons and say that no one ELSE signing him is 'absurd'

They why is Indy contemplating being 'absurd'?

I'm talking to you Mr. Irsay!!! :hissy:

Does this really need to be explained to you?

1) A team will not sign him until he can pass a physical and prove that he can make the necessary throws.

2) Any team who does sign him will do so on an incentive laden deal.

3) Why is Indy exempt from this? The contract as it exists now is untenable. They would have to have the same assurances that other teams do.

Then you cut him and sign him during the next calendar year....with stipulations 1 and 2.

Why not?

I'd put the teams into 4 categories:

No chance at all:

Atlanta Falcons Have Franchise QB

Carolina Panthers Young QB they won’t give up on.

Cincinnati Bengals Young QB they won’t give up on.

Detroit Lions Have Franchise QB

Green Bay Packers Have Franchise QB

New England Patriots Have Franchise QB

New Orleans Saints Have Franchise QB very slim chance they do not extend/tag Brees Brees

New York Giants Have Franchise QB

Pittsburgh Steelers Have Franchise QB

San Diego Chargers Have Franchise QB

Not very likely:

Baltimore Ravens Don’t see them giving up on Flacco.

Buffalo Bills Seem to be committed to Fitzpatrick

Chicago Bears Seem to be committed to Cutler

Cleveland Browns Likely not very attractive to Manning

Dallas Cowboys NFC East, should be committed to Romo but with Jones you never know.

Oakland Raiders Invested heavily in Palmer/Campbell

Philadelphia Eagles NFC East even though they could easily get out of Vick deal

St. Louis Rams Lots of $ tied up in Bradford

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Likely committed to Freeman

Washington Redskins Might try to throw $ at him but I don’t see him playing in the NFC east.

Could or should be in the hunt:

Denver Broncos Need a professional QB, strong defense, decent offensive talent

Jacksonville Jaguars Spent a #1, but not very good. Manning owns the division, but not much help elsewhere.

Kansas City Chiefs Would be easy to get out of Cassell deal, decent offensive talent, solid coaching.

Indianapolis Colts Resigning an option but I don’t think Manning wants anything to do with Luck on roster, & cap hit will be 10.4 higher than any other team.

Minnesota Vikings Spent a #1, could be committed, has rolled the dice on Favre/Mcnabb.

San Francisco 49ers Will likely keep Smith and I feel Harbaugh and Manning would clash.

Tennessee Titans Spent a # 1 and have a solid vet, but fan demand/desire might influence a change.

In the Hunt:

Arizona Cardinals Manning to Fitzgerald would be deadly, weak division, would need other additions.

Houston Texans Small cap hit to trade Schaub. Manning owns division, talented team.

Miami Dolphins New HC, dynamic WR, strong D, solid OL, could entice Wayne to go back home.

New York Jets Have a young QB, but can escape deal with 5 million dead space. Ryan’s love for Manning is third behind food and feet.

Seattle Seahawks Need a QB, weak division, weakest choice in this section.

Short term I see an incentive based deal that once triggers are reached, would turn it into a longer deal with guaranteed money entering the equation. Low risk, high reward, any team will put him through a thorough workout and physical, so they will be protected from even the short term risk.

Some will have a different spin on teams being in a different category or not, but that is what places like this are for... Opinions and debate.

Then you cut him and sign him during the next calendar year....with stipulations 1 and 2.

Why not?

Because the future is here. The Colts went 3-13 when Manning was a rookie and 13-3 in year 2. Not saying that will or will not be what happens once the Luck era begins, but why would they not want to get through the learning curve as quickly as possible?

I am absolutely convinced the Colts want to start the future now and I don't think that would change if Manning is deemed 100% healthy.

Because the future is here. The Colts went 3-13 when Manning was a rookie and 13-3 in year 2. Not saying that will or will not be what happens once the Luck era begins, but why would they not want to get through the learning curve as quickly as possible?

I am absolutely convinced the Colts want to start the future now and I don't think that would change if Manning is deemed 100% healthy.

One question I have that unfortunately for me keeps bouncing around my mind and I have proposed it in a thread or two.

Say with the New CBA they altered the draft to a pure lottery and the Colts get #1. Manning is healthy. Do they pull the plug on 18 and go after Luck? Do the Patriots do the same with Brady?

But you are right. Irsay has had his mind made up for quite some time in my opinion.