Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don Banks Its Irsay's Fault In Way Handling Situation That There Is No Poetic Ride Into The Sunset For Peyton , Polian Would Have Played It Different

bayone

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated hits the nail on the head when describing the end of thePeyton Manning era in Indy:

Under Bill
Polian's stewardship, the Colts were as secretive and tight-lipped as any franchise i
n the league, guarding every scrap of football-related information as if it provided the competitive advantage that would make the difference between winning and losing the Super Bowl. That was the way the longtime Indianapolis football czar did business, he won with it, and it was understood that his methods would be followed.

But Polian has been gone for about 40 days now,
fired along with his general manager son, Chris, and an information free-for-all has ensued on the Manning front in his absence.
I'm not saying I miss the Polian Way, but this story, the team's messy end of the Manning era, has been like a driver-less car careening out of control. We're all just following it warily, trying to see where it goes next.

Two reasons for the unprecedented way the Manning saga has unfolded pop to mind: It's such a unique story to begin with, with No. 18's mysterious neck condition being such an unknown, and Jim Irsay is such a unique team owner. And calling Irsay unique really doesn't even tell the whole story, does it?

Irsay's life is just an open book, and with him, there's seldom an unexpressed thought. Or at least un-tweeted.
He did tell us plenty even while the Polians were in charge of his team, but there has never quite been the confluence of a story of this magnitude and complication combined with a team owner who is committed to social media, and keeping the multifaceted lines of communication open.

Read more:

u must admit , they are both playing roles yet , they were supposed to meet this week & try to sort things out but haven't

Manning, Colts don't meet this week, no meeting planned

Despite anticipation a meeting would take place this week to at least begin the process of determining the rehabilitating quarterback's future with the team, that did not occur.

http://www.indystar....meeting-planned

Peyton Manning Rumors: Failure to Meet with Jim Irsay Suggests QB Will Leave

It's come to the point in the Peyton Manning situation with the Indianapolis Coltsthat we're now talking about things that aren't happening, which is bordering on the absurd.

If both sides were fully committed to making this work, wouldn't they try to nip this situation in the bud as quickly as possible? Wouldn't Manning consider restructuring his contract? Couldn't they just settle on a decision so we can all stop talking about this already?

A simple meeting between Manning and Irsay would likely make that point evident. Let's have the meeting, gentlemen.

u must admit , they are both playing roles yet , they were supposed to meet this week & try to sort things out but haven't

Manning, Colts don't meet this week, no meeting planned

Despite anticipation a meeting would take place this week to at least begin the process of determining the rehabilitating quarterback's future with the team, that did not occur.

http://www.indystar....meeting-planned

Peyton Manning Rumors: Failure to Meet with Jim Irsay Suggests QB Will Leave

It's come to the point in the Peyton Manning situation with the Indianapolis Coltsthat we're now talking about things that aren't happening, which is bordering on the absurd.

If both sides were fully committed to making this work, wouldn't they try to nip this situation in the bud as quickly as possible? Wouldn't Manning consider restructuring his contract? Couldn't they just settle on a decision so we can all stop talking about this already?

A simple meeting between Manning and Irsay would likely make that point evident. Let's have the meeting, gentlemen.

Not that Irsay couldn't have fired up the plane and headed to NC, but I think the fact that Peyton went to Duke to work out this past week was a main reason that the meeting after the SB didn't take place. But who knows, like everything else involving this story it's all speculation.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated hits the nail on the head when describing the end of thePeyton Manning era in Indy:

Under Bill
Polian's stewardship, the Colts were as secretive and tight-lipped as any franchise i
n the league, guarding every scrap of football-related information as if it provided the competitive advantage that would make the difference between winning and losing the Super Bowl. That was the way the longtime Indianapolis football czar did business, he won with it, and it was understood that his methods would be followed.

fired along with his general manager son, Chris, and an information free-for-all has ensued on the Manning front in his absence.
I'm not saying I miss the Polian Way, but this story, the team's messy end of the Manning era, has been like a driver-less car careening out of control. We're all just following it warily, trying to see where it goes next.

Two reasons for the unprecedented way the Manning saga has unfolded pop to mind: It's such a unique story to begin with, with No. 18's mysterious neck condition being such an unknown, and Jim Irsay is such a unique team owner. And calling Irsay unique really doesn't even tell the whole story, does it?

Irsay's life is just an open book, and with him, there's seldom an unexpressed thought. Or at least un-tweeted.
He did tell us plenty even while the Polians were in charge of his team, but there has never quite been the confluence of a story of this magnitude and complication combined with a team owner who is committed to social media, and keeping the multifaceted lines of communication open.

Read more:

its the press stiring up all the problems and its making both manning and irsay mad. you cant expect two guys who want to stay together until the end to sit back and let this just unfoil with no fire back. and Manning wasnt right about saying the place seems like everyone is walking on egg shells. he should have just kept his mouth shut, and irsay wasnt right either saying manning is bein political he should have kept his mouth shut. but as far as we know they could have already talked about whats going to happen and just doing this to get the press to assume alot of different things. no one knows anything except manning and irsay. we dont even know what was talked about in their meeting they were suppose to have last week if they even had it

So now we have reached the point where even the media themselves are complaining that they are talking about this too much?

Yes. And it's Irsay's fault that they can't stop talking about it.

Clearly he should think of the poor folks at ESPN and make a hasty decision that will effect the franchise for probably at least the next decade because some sports writers have no self control. Who does he think he is to force them to discuss a subject ad nauseum even if there hasn't really been a change in information since the regular season ended.

So now we have reached the point where even the media themselves are complaining that they are talking about this too much?

I think the media has just run out of "angles", so they are fabricating more.

The media always has their own agenda. And that is to get us to listen to them.

IT'S WORKING!

His point that information was kep in-house under Polian is not all that accurate. There was plenty of talk going around regarding Manning, his contract, and his future with the Colts, even while Polian was there. The only difference that I see is that Irsay has continuously shot down rumors created by the press. Irsay is being more proactive to get the right information out there.

Of course, Manning's "eggshels" interview and Irsays "politicain" statement added to the speculation. But aside from that, it has been a media whirl wind, even when the Polians were here.

I dont get it. So many peeps hating on the media, yet commeting on what the media says themselves. With out them, for the most part, what would we have to talk about? Who was the third string TE in 1986? Who cares. We love the drama. Irsay knows we love the drama. Thats why he feeds it too. It gives us fans something to talk about. It some how even keeps the season going for us that hate to see it come to and end every year.

I'm smart enough to read between the lines. Whilst you are still crying your eyes out over the firing of your hero.....

The problem is that you are not smart enough to read THE lines. Banks was hardly "gushing over Polian" and I am certainly not crying my eyes out over his firing any more than you might be dancing on his grave. We may be wishing for the good old Polian days in years to come. I hope not thought.

Polian was a GREAT football person and evaluator of players, But the only reason this is getting all the news is because games arent going on and this is the offseason thats why news about peyton has been coming out... and also this guy over exaggerates alot.. alot of the news that have came out have been SPECULATION no facts what so ever.

As time goes on people are gonna compare the new GM with the old and thats just the way it is, all i know is i like the way things are right now, the colts dont seem like a famiy... now they look like a proper NFL business with no loyalty to any one player.

I dont get it. So many peeps hating on the media, yet commeting on what the media says themselves. With out them, for the most part, what would we have to talk about? Who was the third string TE in 1986? Who cares. We love the drama. Irsay knows we love the drama. Thats why he feeds it too. It gives us fans something to talk about. It some how even keeps the season going for us that hate to see it come to and end every year.

No.....we most certainly do not ALL enjoy the drama. Please say I....and not we.....heck, even some, or most. I despise the drama. For the record, there is a team, coaching changes, and an upcoming schedule to talk about. You are welcome to be a drama person if you want, but I enjoy talking about the game of football, not dramatizing about one player that we are 3 weeks from a deadline.

No.....we most certainly do not ALL enjoy the drama. Please say I....and not we.....heck, even some, or most. I despise the drama. For the record, there is a team, coaching changes, and an upcoming schedule to talk about. You are welcome to be a drama person if you want, but I enjoy talking about the game of football, not dramatizing about one player that we are 3 weeks from a deadline.

Commenting on drama is drama.

The problem is that you are not smart enough to read THE lines. Banks was hardly "gushing over Polian" and I am certainly not crying my eyes out over his firing any more than you might be dancing on his grave. We may be wishing for the good old Polian days in years to come. I hope not thought.

And you conveniently or stupidly missed the 'to some extent' caveat. But it suits your love of Bill to do that. Heard of poetic licence....?

Under Bill

Read more:

And this is EXACTLY why we have seen all the "posturing" on the TEAM front.. neither wants to look bad.

And this is sad.. it is obviouus Manning wants to move on... but he wont give the Colts that out.... I don't get it.

Both sides are still trying to win the PR battle...

Who fycjubg cares????????? It is OVER.

Jim and Peyton should and will do business at their own speed.

Exactly. And that's what these sports reporters can't stand.

The problem with this article and many others speculating about Peyton's future with the Colts is that the reporters ignore their own culpability in how this story has gotten out of control. For weeks they've been headlining any secondhand rumor or treating speculation as though it were fact. They're like kids who've been playing with matches in a combustible environment and then when things suddenly ignite and go boom, they come to Irsay and Manning all innocent and say, "Hey, what's with all this fire and smoke? Don't you think you should do something about it before it gets really bad?"

And you conveniently or stupidly missed the 'to some extent' caveat. But it suits your love of Bill to do that. Heard of poetic licence....?

No I saw it. And it makes very little sense, "adulation" suggests a very large degree of praise. Poetic licence? GIve me a break, you saw yet another chance to jump on Polian and predictably, you took advantage of it. Then when called on it you resorted to the mocking "you love Bill/crying your eyes out about your hero etc. my 6 year old would be proud of those responses. Ironicly, all I have ever done is defend the guy after, Usually, unfounded or exagerated criticism and you resort to the above (I'm surprised you didn't say anything about cool aid) However this board is littlered numerous examples of the the animus you have towards Polian.

Anyway, if need get in the last word ( being that I started all this ) feel free to respond but this ticking match isn't going to get either one of us anywhere so I'm done, as is BP, so you can rest easy.

Not worried about 'the last word' really. It Was poetic licence. It WAS a chance to get in a dig at Bill, and I took it with both hands. And it was even more childish that a 6 year old's response. I'm not resting easy either, I'm resting happily. But no worries, love and hate is all shared equally on this board! At least we are not squabbling about Luck v Manning....