Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats gauging Kony Ealy trade market

krunk

They gave up an early 3rd or late 2nd for him, right? It is not like them to trade someone they got for a decent draft pick that easily, especially with Derek Rivers out for the season playing the edge. Maybe he didn't fit with their culture and they do not see themselves counting on this guy later, that is what I gather from this move.

They'd be lucky if someone gave a 5th or 6th. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They gave up an early 3rd or late 2nd for him, right? It is not like them to trade someone they got for a decent draft pick that easily, especially with Derek Rivers out for the season playing the edge. Maybe he didn't fit with their culture and they do not see themselves counting on this guy later, that is what I gather from this move.

They'd be lucky if someone gave a 5th or 6th. 

They gave up their 2nd.  But they got Ealy and a 3rd.  They used that same 3rd to trade up and get Rivers.  It is in the article.  Plus if they get say a 4th or 5th, they are still getting something for someone that might not fit the system at all.  This is still odd to me though.  Might be a scare tactic to light the fire...who knows I guess!

Has he looked ok in preseason?

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Belichick places heavy emphasis on cardio, and this guy must not be putting in the work. Different culture certainly is one way to describe it, but I prefer to just call him lazy.

How do you possibly know this?

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Belichick places heavy emphasis on cardio, and this guy must not be putting in the work. Different culture certainly is one way to describe it, but I prefer to just call him lazy.

Then again Belichick could've been up in his office drinking a glass of Scotch and his strength and conditioning Coaches might of caught something and phoned BB on the Bat phone to let him know that the guy wasn't cutting it.

Read he is only 25 so fits with all the new youngins if you would.

*s only gave up 8 spots between trading their 2nd for the 3rd rounder to get him so might not cost too much to get him.

May be worth kicking the tires.

Also 49ers just released Ahmad Brooks. Any opinions there?

Generally speaking, for the Patriots to release a guy like this so soon, it's a strong indication that there were attitude/effort issues on top of any "football issues." 

I've heard some mixed news about Ealy throughout the spring and through camp, so it's not too surprising. Given their lack of depth at DE, it says something if they're cutting ties with him in favor of some unknown FA out there.

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

Generally speaking, for the Patriots to release a guy like this so soon, it's a strong indication that there were attitude/effort issues on top of any "football issues." 

I've heard some mixed news about Ealy throughout the spring and through camp, so it's not too surprising. Given their lack of depth at DE, it says something if they're cutting ties with him in favor of some unknown FA out there.

Well you knew it was bad if his attitude and effort got him traded off the Panthers roster. Bill is a low risk high reward guy...he takes these cast offs and gives them a chance...sometimes they stick...mostly they don't...but he's turned some guys into gold (Harrison, Moss, Blount) and others there was no helping (Ochocinco, Haynesworth, Ealy). No big loss...he just moved back like 10 picks in the draft to try to help a thin position. Do you think they try to get Ninkovich to come out of retirement?

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well you knew it was bad if his attitude and effort got him traded off the Panthers roster. Bill is a low risk high reward guy...he takes these cast offs and gives them a chance...sometimes they stick...mostly they don't...but he's turned some guys into gold (Harrison, Moss, Blount) and others there was no helping (Ochocinco, Haynesworth, Ealy). No big loss...he just moved back like 10 picks in the draft to try to help a thin position. Do you think they try to get Ninkovich to come out of retirement?

What I like about this cut is that it shows how Belichick the Coach never hesitates to cut his losses when Belichick the GM signs new players. He doesn't hold on for the sake of massaging his own ego. He admits it's a bad fit, and that it failed (or would have), and then he moves on. 

As for Nink, I don't think that's going to be an option. He retired because he said his body wasn't responding as well to offseason training, and that sort of makes me wonder about last year (he started the season with a 4-game suspension for PEDs). Sometimes the mind is willing but the body is weak, and I think that's the case with him. I could be wrong but I don't see him getting himself whipped into football shape and jumping back into after 5 or 6 weeks of training camp. 

3 hours ago, GoPats said:

What I like about this cut is that it shows how Belichick the Coach never hesitates to cut his losses when Belichick the GM signs new players. He doesn't hold on for the sake of massaging his own ego. He admits it's a bad fit, and that it failed (or would have), and then he moves on. 

As for Nink, I don't think that's going to be an option. He retired because he said his body wasn't responding as well to offseason training, and that sort of makes me wonder about last year (he started the season with a 4-game suspension for PEDs). Sometimes the mind is willing but the body is weak, and I think that's the case with him. I could be wrong but I don't see him getting himself whipped into football shape and jumping back into after 5 or 6 weeks of training camp. 

Lot easier to do when you have built up as much equity as Bill has. I mean 5 SBs and like 7 AFC Championships and how many...like 11 AFC finals...guy is not going to get called infront of the carpet by the owner to explain his misfires. It is nice when the coach and GM are on the same page....obviously Bill is. He also doesn't play a guy just because he is making more and he is a lot quicker to know if he can move a guy a season early like Jones etc because he knows he can coach up the difference in the player gap. That said I'd only trust a few coaches to be talent evaluators and to not overspend on his own guys....Bill is a special cat...and a TON of the Pats success is due to his coaching and his player acquisitions. He has put great teams around Tom and then Tom does the rest. If he choices to stay after Tom retires I believe he will still find a way to win another SB.