Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting O-Line

ColtsArmy84

I think as of week one it will be Castonzo, Haeg, Schwenke, Mewhort, Clark. I still think Clark will hold the RT spot. I know he's been getting some flack but I think it's because they expect a lot from him and trying to motivate him to win that RT spot. I think Banner still needs some work but who truly knows.

When Kelly's back around week 4-5 it will be...........

Castanzo - Haeg - Kelly - Mewhort - Banner

That's a solid OL IMO. Really only one weakness depending on how Banner does, and if you're wondering I think Haeg is a big time breakout player this season. With added strength he's a top 20 Guard in the NFL.

2nd part, and yall know I'm gonna do this......This here. Below. Is what our offensive line SHOULD be. We should have let AC go or never drafted him first up. He's a decent LT, but not what I want, but then traded up a few spots in RD3 to grab Terron Armstead in 2013, Whitehair in RD2 last year

Armstead - Mewhort - Kelly - Whitehair - Haeg...........Yeah. Put Luck behind that. Let Marlon Mack run behind it. Yeah.

Not sure who I would start out of Clark or Banner but I think either one would be a weak link. Captain Obvious statement I guess, but it seems Banner's getting a little hyped up around here. Kinda like Good did.

Not that I don't like Banner, I think he's a future starter, and I won't hate if he starts. But yeah, I think he'll really struggle for now.

I wonder, if our line is healthy, if we wouldn't be better off with him at LG and Haeg at RT. I know Haeg wasn't supposed to translate very well as a T but I just think that could be a solid line.

I like that Mewhort is able to be on the right side to help whatever T is there.  Plus, more than likely if Banner or Clark are there they will still have a RB or TE come over to help.  Clark with be the starter IMO because he showed some promise and has a year under his belt.  If he looks bad though, we need to slide Haeg out there.

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I think if Banner is our RT, Luck should maybe stay on PUP list. 

During regular season against starting defensive units opposing DC's will likely expose him.

No doubt.  He was getting beat with inside moves by guys who probably won't even make the Cowboy's roster.  He may be decent at some point but he has miles to go before he should ever start a game.  I shudder to think of him out there with Luck behind center.

Hopefully Clark gets his act together and takes up where he left off last season. 

Not a good reflection on Clark if he needs extra motivation at this stage of his short career.  I'm not comfortable starting Banner as a rookie RT right now.  Now if they let him play against the 1's Saturday and he plays well maybe.  If Clark has a problem we might be better off with Good back at RG and Mewhort back to LG and Haag at RT.  I'm very disappointed in Clark right now.

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If everyone is healthy I say its  Castanzo, Haeg, Kelly, Mewhort, Clark

Although I think an argument could be made for Castanzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Good, Clark

Not sure why everyone is ready to write off Clark and start Banner. 

Why would you put Good above Haeg?  Haeg has looked pretty good in preseason and Good IMO is getting worse each year.

If the coaching staff was comfortable with puthing haeg at RT they would. IMO he's better suited for guard at the nfl level just like mewhort is. What I think people need to understand is its very hard to play tackle at the next level especially learning new technique. Terron Armstead didn't play his first year and had struggles in his second year. That's the way it goes. To completely write off Clark and have Banner in my mind is foolish. Banner will not be able to keep up with edge rushers off the edge if he was to start. Clark has the ability to keep edge rushers off the end the problem for him still is keeping the inside protected. I'm not saying banner doesn't have a chance I just think he's better off sitting the bench for awhile like Clark did.

9 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

If the coaching staff was comfortable with puthing haeg at RT they would. IMO he's better suited for guard at the nfl level just like mewhort is. What I think people need to understand is its very hard to play tackle at the next level especially learning new technique. Terron Armstead didn't play his first year and had struggles in his second year. That's the way it goes. To completely write off Clark and have Banner in my mind is foolish. Banner will not be able to keep up with edge rushers off the edge if he was to start. Clark has the ability to keep edge rushers off the end the problem for him still is keeping the inside protected. I'm not saying banner doesn't have a chance I just think he's better off sitting the bench for awhile like Clark did.

And to piggy back off of this...

I feel like Clark will love having Mewhort beside him.  Something he did not have last year.

40 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Why would you put Good above Haeg?  Haeg has looked pretty good in preseason and Good IMO is getting worse each year.

Havn't paid attention to how he's looked I just think he a bit of a bruiser who would probably fit in best at RG.

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Havn't paid attention to how he's looked I just think he a bit of a bruiser who would probably fit in best at RG.

Well Haeg is our LG and Mewhort our RG.  Haeg has been playing pretty well and based on competition I highly doubt Good beats him out.  If we need Haeg at RT then maybe Good comes in.

I like Banner's size and strength, and even more his personality (a really bright guy, with good sense of humor), but i think if he will start, he'll look worse than T.J. Green looked last year at safety. :)

I hope the Clark incident was just a motivational thing. Pagano called him out, but at the same time he gave him snaps at LT with the 2nd team if i'm correct. So he is not off the radar I hope. If last year was any indication, he looked terrible early on, but then picked it up pretty nicely by the end. Maybe he is a slow starter type, and needs a bit more time to learn how to be ready in week 1.

They need to just put something together that won't get Luck killed when he gets back. They will probably look at the cut down list pretty closely. They should end up with 8 or 9 decent linemen and its up to the coaches to put together something that will work. I think they will when Kelly gets back (he said hopefully).