Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp Open Practice Thread (7/30/17)

WarGhost21

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Castanzo and Haeg? I doubt that is considered ruining the left side. It will just make right side stronger and left side slightly weaker. Haeg is good in my opinion. Not Mewhort good, but still good

Not just talent wise, but also rapport as well

3 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

LOL, Luck is actually fine, they just hold him out to get the defense confidence up! haha

Lol, Ballard just has Luck throw with him at 2am so he can get his arm back into shape while Ballard practices his serial killer look and evil mastermind laugh. :lol:

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I didn't see anything on how Quincy Wilson looked, or how Hooker looked when he was briefly out there.

Hooker was in with the 2s on a few snaps, and I can confirm he is fast. He covers ground quick. 

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I know.... but if it were "fixed" then why the experiments which switching those two guys around?

Either their experimenting or they think the right side is too inexperienced

5 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Whatever downgrade you get on the left is compensated with the upgrade to the right.  It probably makes more sense to balance it out a bit instead of having one side strong and one side iffy

Haeg moves better than Mewhort.  Traditionally, RG is more of a mauler than the LG.  Not that Mewhort is that, but he is not the most agile OLineman.  I think the left side will be just as good with Haeg.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I saw a video with Kevin Bowen and he said Quincy Wilson was running with the 1s. Said him and Melvin split reps for the 2s.

Crazy that Quincy is getting 1st team reps off the bat. Thought it'd at least take him like 2-3 weeks

Well he is in the conversation to start opposite vontae. He needs to get some reps

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

Don’t know what their doing with the offensive line. I hope it works out for the best. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

So much for it being "fixed "

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Either their experimenting or they think the right side is too inexperienced

My general observations from practice today.

The new punter looked good and all the snaps were on the money. The new holder appears to have goods hands based on the rapid fire catch drill the coaches had him do. Vinny is the same, looked to be having a blast with the new guys and the fans.

The quarterbacks were pretty sloppy so the DBs had a lot of plays on the ball. The pick-6 was a bad throw in the direction of Dorsett, although I'm not sure who read things wrong. Quincy Wilson was tight on guys although I predict we will see some flags thrown his way as he adapts to the pro game. Hooker looked to be fast and smooth in his movements which should translate to a serious ball-hawk come game time. 

I'm not well versed in watching lineman so I can't comment on them.

Overall I liked the tempo of practice and how much they got done in two hours. 

My top 3 standouts for today are Matthias Farley, Marlon Mack, and Vontae Davis.

Also a few notes...

-All 3 quarterbacks had rough days today especially Stephen Morris who was inaccurate on numerous check downs. However, it was only the first day of camp and there were probably jitters.

-Josh Ferguson looked much more decisive and caught the ball much better... though I want to see him in pads before I get ahead of myself.

-Dorsett outperformed Aiken and Chester Rogers pretty easily.

-Brandon Williams (TE) had the catch of the day and he is really only known for blocking so that stood out.

-There was a lot of mixing with the ILBs but one guy that seemed to be in there most 1st team snaps was Jon Bostic. He must have really made an impression in the spring.

-I saw more Melvin than Quincy Wilson with the first team but they are slowly giving Wilson some time. I can also see why Farley is ahead of TJ Green right now at the safety position.

-Punter Jeff Locke impressed me today. Had a pretty nice showing on punts and kickoffs.

And Tevin Mitchel did have a pick six and made a nice read so I thought I would mention him.

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

My top 3 standouts for today are Matthias Farley, Marlon Mack, and Vontae Davis.

Also a few notes...

-All 3 quarterbacks had rough days today especially Stephen Morris who was inaccurate on numerous check downs. However, it was only the first day of camp and there were probably jitters.

-Josh Ferguson looked much more decisive and caught the ball much better... though I want to see him in pads before I get ahead of myself.

-Dorsett outperformed Aiken and Chester Rogers pretty easily.

-Brandon Williams (TE) had the catch of the day and he is really only known for blocking so that stood out.

-There was a lot of mixing with the ILBs but one guy that seemed to be in there most 1st team snaps was Jon Bostic. He must have really made an impression in the spring.

-I saw more Melvin than Quincy Wilson with the first team but they are slowly giving Wilson some time. I can also see why Farley is ahead of TJ Green right now at the safety position.

-Punter Jeff Locke impressed me today. Had a pretty nice showing on punts and kickoffs.

And Tevin Mitchel did have a pick six and made a nice read so I thought I would mention him.

What did Mack do that stood out? I haven't heard anything about him today

Some observations based on what I've read here and elsewhere....

**** I like the switching of guards that we're experimenting with.    Hopefully,  this balances out our OL so that defenses can't attack our right side.     Having a veteran to pair with a 2nd year player on each side sure feels like it has Philbin's finger-prints on it.      Two thumbs up for me!

**** I'm curious how long the pairing of Morrinson with Bostic at the two ILB spots will last?     Honestly,  we haven't heard much about Morrison this off-season.     I'm not predicting anything here.     Maybe this will be the only day they're a pair.     But it's raised some eyebrows, so it's worth watching...

**** Hooker was quoted in an ESPN story saying it's like he's learning how to walk all over again.     Not the kind of comment you want to hear from a rookie who has about a month to show what he's got and about 6 weeks before the first game of the season.    Color me concerned that he won't be good to go for week 1.     He might be ready for week 3 or 5,  but week 1 feels like a stretch....

Speaking of which....

**** I see a number of people, not just in this thread,  but in other threads other days feeling confident that Luck will be back week 1.      I wish I was in your camp,  but I'm not.      And I don't understand those who think the signs are all pointing to that,   because the signs I see are pointing in the opposite direction.      Like he'll be ready in October.        As always in situations like this,   I hope I'm wrong.     Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong.    I just think it's way too big a stretch to think he's going to be ready by week 1.....    

Thanks again to everyone who are posting their observatons and the media tweets.     These are like Gold to me and many other Colts fan!

:colts:

From what I saw, he looked really solid running and catching the ball today...really shifty ...did carry it loose a couple times it seemed, but otherwise has great burst, showed some good foot work on a spin move in a crowed area, and was able to get small up the middle to pop out the other side...the only knock I would give him on the day was pass protection, on a few plays he was absolutely lost out their and when he did seem to know what to do he was still very slow getting to his man. But given he's a rookie that's to expected...all in all I thought it was a good day for him.

It was worth the 2-1/2 hours there and back.  First time I have been to a practice.  I thought it flowed really well and maintained a good tempo.  The two hours of practice went by quickly.  

I wasn't too impressed with our offense, but that is expected on day one and with backup quality QB's, I guess.  

Overall I really enjoyed the day and will be going back next year wherever that may be.