Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly

TKnight24

On 7/12/2017 at 7:07 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Not only is 0 sacks in 16 games impressive in itself, but this was done by a rookie.  I'm sure opposing defensive coordinators thought a rookie center would get easily overwhelmed and tried to send a lot of heat up the middle.  I don't know how many A-gap blitzes we faced, but I'm sure it had to have been a decent amount.  Can't wait to see how he does in the near future

Defensive coordinators took an easier route, they attack the edges and the RG at will early on. Kind of kidding but not 100% 

On 7/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, ar1888 said:

The center historically is not a position that gives up  too many sacks. 1-2 a season seems to me the league average. I like Kelly, and think he is going to be special, but too much is going into thd no sack stat. 

LOl, 1-2 and not many given up. Do you recall our guys at center in between Jeff Saturday and now with Kelly? They gave up lots of bad plays. Kelly was light speed ahead of these guys. 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Jdubu said:

LOl, 1-2 and not many given up. Do you recall our guys at center in between Jeff Saturday and now with Kelly? They gave up lots of bad plays. Kelly was light speed ahead of these guys. 

Does it help you that AQ Shipley is on this list? I'm not saying he isn't good, im just saying not as impressive stat as it is being made out here. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/10-best-sack-less-streaks-among-centers

8 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I believe you, myself, and a few others didn't like where he was drafted...but I am glad we have him and look forward to watching the young offensive line (sans Castonzo who isn't that young) continue to improve and protect #12.

I didn't think it was the best use of a high draft pick, but I'm fine with definitively solving a position that's been an issue for a long time. 

On 7/12/2017 at 5:49 PM, BProland85 said:

How did he not make the pro bowl then? I feel like so many of the voters get a sour taste in their mouth when they think about acknowledging any of the OL players for the Colts, due to their recent struggles. Which isn't fair to the young talent Indy now has on the OL. 

Could be due to the Colts record only being .500 or it could be due to his run blocking.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Kelly is only an average run blocker at best. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Could be due to the Colts record only being .500 or it could be due to his run blocking.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Kelly is only an average run blocker at best. 

He is a rookie. I think run blocking comes after the O-line works together for a while.

On 7/18/2017 at 11:34 PM, Superman said:

I didn't think it was the best use of a high draft pick, but I'm fine with definitively solving a position that's been an issue for a long time. 

Just a question.  Who would you have picked that was available at our spot in the 2016 draft?

I say that noting that 20-20 hindsight is an advantage.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Just a question.  Who would you have picked that was available at our spot in the 2016 draft?

There were a lot of forum members who were against picking Kelly but this is one pick I was openly hoping for.

My reasoning was we just needed a player of Kelly's talent level after struggling with the center position after Jeff Saturday left. I know the center position is not a popular position to take in the 1st. round but IMO Kelly was the exception. At the time our O-line was getting beat right up the middle and not only was Luck getting hit our RBs were also getting hit behind the line of scrimmage from right up the middle.

Hopefully Kelly will be a long time anchor in this young O-line.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

in hindsight, no one really jumps off of the page and screams we should have taken them over kelly

the best players in the draft were probably prescott, Jordan and elliot.  tyreek hill was there, honestly i dont know much about him.  we had a much bigger need at oline than WR too

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

My favorites were Shaq Lawson (didn't know his medical was so bad), Robert Nkemdiche, Myles Jack and Noah Spence. All had red flags. Kelly was the safe, sure pick, and we all pretty much knew it would be him. By the time the draft came around, I had made my peace with it.

On 7/17/2017 at 5:27 AM, akcolt said:

Banner isn't good depth. He can only play one position. For that reason I would be surprised if he made the 53 man. We want back up's who can play multiple spots. Schwenke G/C Good G/T and Vunjovich G/T are the OLineman I think round out the roster. 2 of the 3 can play RT. 

Banner has that difference that Ballard is always looking for. He is huge. You can't coach that. It is also rare for GMs to cut there own draft picks if they have any potential. He'll make the 53 because you probably can't hide him on the practice squad.

22 hours ago, Superman said:

My favorites were Shaq Lawson (didn't know his medical was so bad), Robert Nkemdiche, Myles Jack and Noah Spence. All had red flags. Kelly was the safe, sure pick, and we all pretty much knew it would be him. By the time the draft came around, I had made my peace with it.

Do you think it's possible that Grigson's dwindling job security and his history of bungling 1st rounders might have led him to go for the safe pick?  

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Do you think it's possible that Grigson's dwindling job security and his history of bungling 1st rounders might have led him to go for the safe pick?  

Very possible. When he said "I went against my gut" while talking about the Ryan Kelly pick, I thought to myself, your gut instinct must stink with 1st rounders. :) 

On 7/20/2017 at 2:08 PM, bleevit said:

Banner has that difference that Ballard is always looking for. He is huge. You can't coach that. It is also rare for GMs to cut there own draft picks if they have any potential. He'll make the 53 because you probably can't hide him on the practice squad.

Ballard has said repeatedly the guys who play the best will make the team. Didn't KC cut Russell a 3rd round pick last year?  The days of subpar players being forced on the roster are over. I'm not saying Banner falls into that category. I don't think Ballard cares as much about saving face as he does keeping the best players.  

15 hours ago, akcolt said:

Ballard has said repeatedly the guys who play the best will make the team. Didn't KC cut Russell a 3rd round pick last year?  The days of subpar players being forced on the roster are over. I'm not saying Banner falls into that category. I don't think Ballard cares as much about saving face as he does keeping the best players.  

Banner has already been found to be a value by Ballard. It is human nature to see the same things over and over. If Banner stinks it up in camp he'll go. If he only plays tackle so be it. He'll make the 53 because there is no one available to make Ballard change his mind. (YET)