Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pm To The Browns?

ruf

I am all for the colts keeping PM, but why has no one talked about this possibility? here is my argument for it :

they would have a very solid backup qb in colt M

they have a great rb

a decent D that they could build upon with the draft

they do have those two first round picks and with the #4 pick could get a great wr from this draft

they also have a solid coach that will build a better D than the colts have provided for PM

thoughts

Nah, IF Peyton goes, which is doubtful, I'm sure that the Browns would welcome him with open arms... But, however, nevertheless, and so on, Peyton doesn't want to go to a team that will face three playoff teams with great Defenses twice a year. He is looking to win a Super Bowl now, and that means going to a team that is complete, minus a quarterback. Cleveland is not a good fit, in my opinion.

However, you are right that no one has talked about this very much, and a decent argument can be made for Cleveland. Still, I just don't see that at all. I do see a vision of #18 in a blue and white jersey, throwing his 51st TD in week 15 and throwing for one yard more than Drew Brees... :)

I take it you mean Hillis when you say they have a great RB. Hillis is a FA and had a horrible year including teammates questioning his heart and effort after a suspicious lingering injury. They have no #1 WR. Cribbs is a better return guy than WR, and a young and still raw Massaquio. I like Little, but he is going into his second year. Young and unproven weapons.

No way PM goes there if a FA, and the Colts can't trade him due to the cap ramifications.

Nah, IF Peyton goes, which is doubtful, I'm sure that the Browns would welcome him with open arms... But, however, nevertheless, and so on, Peyton doesn't want to go to a team that will face three playoff teams with great Defenses twice a year. He is looking to win a Super Bowl now, and that means going to a team that is complete, minus a quarterback. Cleveland is not a good fit, in my opinion.

However, you are right that no one has talked about this very much, and a decent argument can be made for Cleveland. Still, I just don't see that at all. I do see a vision of #18 in a blue and white jersey, throwing his 51st TD in week 15 and throwing for one yard more than Drew Brees... :)

51 screen passes for TD's.....that is about what it would have to be at this point :)

I doubt that Hillis will be re-signed because of his mediocre year. With the 4th pick they take Richardson and with the 22nd grab Alshon Jeffery. That offense with their D(which was ranked #10 this year) and special teams would be an instant playoff team IMO.

I take it you mean Hillis when you say they have a great RB. Hillis is a FA and had a horrible year including teammates questioning his heart and effort after a suspicious lingering injury. They have no #1 WR. Cribbs is a better return guy than WR, and a young and still raw Massaquio. I like Little, but he is going into his second year. Young and unproven weapons.

No way PM goes there if a FA, and the Colts can't trade him due to the cap ramifications.

All that, plus I doubt if Peyon wants to end his career playing in the snow. Miami will make the best run at him.

I'm hoping he's wearing the horseshoe.

I doubt that Hillis will be re-signed because of his mediocre year. With the 4th pick they take Richardson and with the 22nd grab Alshon Jeffery. That offense with their D(which was ranked #10 this year) and special teams would be an instant playoff team IMO.

this is something like i'm thinking

now add PM to this draft as a FA and you have a playoff team with a #10 D also good ST's play with cribbs

Nah, one cheap hit by Harrison or Woodley, or the Ravens could send Peyton to a 4th surgery. I don't think he wants to chance it out there. :)

To me, the Dolphins make a lot of sense. Hear me out here.

From what I saw the Dolphins play on thanksgiving, and the first half in that late season Foxboro game, that team can play really well in spurts. However, when their offense stagnates or turns it over and puts the D back on the field, they seem to have more issues, an issue Peyton can be an instant remedy for.

The Dolphins are sixth lowest in points per game, have a stout run D, a good O-line to help with the running game, and I felt their secondary was coming around later in the year.

They have good route running slot wideouts in Davone Bess and Brian Hartline, and a good Z wideout in Brandon Marshall. If you add Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning to that mix, they can definitely make enough plays to defend point totals in the mid 20s-30s that Peyton will give.

They are a better fit than we think they are.

now add PM to this draft as a FA and you have a playoff team with a #10 D also good ST's play with cribbs

Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, snow, and all but two games outdoors (they do come back to Indy this year). I just can't see it, because I can't see any way to trade PM, so he would have to pick Cleveland amongst other options.

He still has to get through three better defenses and 3 better offenses. Peyton will have no chemistry whatsoever with his recievers. And as far as special teams go, both the Steelers and the Bengals were ranked higher than the Browns last year. I understand why this is a scenario to be discussed, but it is not very likely in my opinion.

Outside the Dolphins, the Cardinals make the most sense - play the Rams twice in a dome, play the 49ers twice in warm weather, play the Seahawks once in warm weather and while playing the NFC North, both the Lions & Vikes play in domes, and while playing the NFC South, Bucs play in warm weather while the Saints & Falcons play in domes.

To me, the Cardinals make more sense w.r.t warm weather conditions.

There are only 2 other teams that I would want Peyton Manning to play for, the Ravens and the Texan's. It helps that they are my 2 favorite teams behind the colts, plus they both have great teams. The Texan's have Matt Shaub who is a very good quarterback, and the Raven's have Joe Flacco, who was okay this year, and played decently in the playoffs.

I do not want the colts to get rid of Peyton Manning at all though, and would be angry if they did. It would be awesome if the Raven's could win the Super Bowl with the colts best player probably of all time, and maybe even the whole league. How great would that be for Raven's fans.

Outside the Dolphins, the Cardinals make the most sense - play the Rams twice in a dome, play the 49ers twice in warm weather, play the Seahawks once in warm weather and while playing the NFC North, both the Lions & Vikes play in domes, and while playing the NFC South, Bucs play in warm weather while the Saints & Falcons play in domes.

I don't know about you, but I don't think basing your future career on just the weather is a good idea hahah.

I don't know about you, but I don't think basing your future career on just the weather is a good idea hahah.

Hey, if Peyton's condo in South Florida which he probably chose for the weather is a determining factor for people to suggest the Dolphins, I thought I'd play along :). Cardinals are aggressive on D, and play outstanding special teams, so it is not as bad a fit, the weather is just a huge bonus, IMO.

If people suggest that Peyton would want to be in the AFC to a) stay away from playing Eli once every 2 or 3 years (if they finish the same place in their NFC division the previous year) and b) to stick it to the Colts, then yeah, the AFC is the place Peyton would want to go. I can play along with that too :).

49ers IMO make the mos sense. Weak division, warm weather, great defense, great coach, solid offense with Josh Morgan returning. Solid running game. Good OL that will be even better with training camp this year. Great special teams. Alex is going to be a f/a. Seriously the 49ers is a dream scenario for Manning.

49ers IMO make the mos sense. Weak division, warm weather, great defense, great coach, solid offense with Josh Morgan returning. Solid running game. Good OL that will be even better with training camp this year. Great special teams. Alex is going to be a f/a. Seriously the 49ers is a dream scenario for Manning.

It would be ironic. PM goes to the 49ers to be coached by Luck's coach, and the QB that the Colts got rid of to make room for PM.

There is no way Peyton would want to play in Cleveland. Miami or Arizona seem like decent fits but Arizona has a terrible o-line

we have a terrible o line.. what did they do without him? what did we do without him? didn't we lose to the browns this year? im all for us kepping peyton for that very reason..

Peyton will be released and re-signed by the Colts for a different contract amount that they would have agreed to before releasing him :). That is the only way the Colts retain an unhealthy Peyton, if both parties are willing to re-negotiate and Peyton wants to retire a Colt.

If both parties cannot come to an agreement on how his health will shape up in the future, the divorce is on. Irsay will not speculate, Tom Condon and to an extent, Peyton will be the ones who will want to speculate, especially if the Colts doctors do not clear him.

I don't think Peyton would want to go to a different team if it at all could be avoided. The Colts Offense is built AROUND PM. No other team runs their offense like the Colts do. PM would have to go in to another team and either A) learn their offense and their playbook or B) change their entire offense to meet his style of play.... Unlikely for a 36 year old QB looking to ride off into the sunset in the next couple years.... No I see Peyton either staying with the Colts or retiring. Money isnt an issue to him, cementing his legacy is.

Just my 2 cents.

Peyton will be released and re-signed by the Colts for a different contract amount that they would have agreed to before releasing him :). That is the only way the Colts retain an unhealthy Peyton, if both parties are willing to re-negotiate and Peyton wants to retire a Colt.

If both parties cannot come to an agreement on how his health will shape up in the future, the divorce is on. Irsay will not speculate, Tom Condon and to an extent, Peyton will be the ones who will want to speculate, especially if the Colts doctors do not clear him.

Why would they need to release and then resign if they are willing to re-negotiate? That can be done without making him a FA.

Why would they need to release and then resign if they are willing to re-negotiate? That can be done without making him a FA.

This has been answered several times on this board. The 28 million is due before the start of the new year for the NFL. The CBA prohibits teams and players from renegotiating contracts before the start of the new year. If the Colts do not pay the 28 million by March 8th, Manning is a free agent.

This has been answered several times on this board. The 28 million is due before the start of the new year for the NFL. The CBA prohibits teams and players from renegotiating contracts before the start of the new year. If the Colts do not pay the 28 million by March 8th, Manning is a free agent.

It has been stated by everybody surrounding this story (reporters, fans, "experts") that Manning and his agent are able to move the date of the bonus back to a later date. Irsay and Manning, in their discussions of the future, will definitely discuss the possible postponement of this date. If both sides are willing to re-negotiate that can happen without having to make him a FA first. The problem with letting it go to FA from the Colts standpoint is that you don't want to get in a possible bidding war with other teams.

I agree with you. Dolphins make more sense than anyone. Cardinals 2nd. Seahawks 3rd. Seahawks are in the right division. They have the LOUDEST fans of all. They have slowly gotten a very good pass defense. I think Carrol is the right personality type to work with Peyton, also. They could win a lot of games.

actually i blame the madden cover curse for his failures this past season and i think he will bounce back and have a great year this year. if they sign manning they could use the 4th pick grab a receiver (chances are someone is going to trade up to #2 with st.louis) and then use their 22nd for a WR, prob michael Floyd or the guy from Baylor. it actually could all work in their favor an could turn into a contender in a year or two

It has been stated by everybody surrounding this story (reporters, fans, "experts") that Manning and his agent are able to move the date of the bonus back to a later date. Irsay and Manning, in their discussions of the future, will definitely discuss the possible postponement of this date. If both sides are willing to re-negotiate that can happen without having to make him a FA first. The problem with letting it go to FA from the Colts standpoint is that you don't want to get in a possible bidding war with other teams.

yes they can talk about moving it back to a later date, but from what i understand and what i saw while watching the NFL network a couple weeks ago it would have to be approved through the players union first and a chance of that happening is unlikely because they want manning to get the 28 million dollar option now and not risk being traded. because after march 8th its fair game on the trade market.

actually i blame the madden cover curse for his failures this past season and i think he will bounce back and have a great year this year. if they sign manning they could use the 4th pick grab a receiver (chances are someone is going to trade up to #2 with st.louis) and then use their 22nd for a WR, prob michael Floyd or the guy from Baylor. it actually could all work in their favor an could turn into a contender in a year or two

This is all happenstance. Nothing is solid, real, or tangible. Like I said earlier, I think that if Peyton leaves, he will only go to a team where all of the pieces are in place already, minus a quarterback. The Browns need a lot of help, have drafted high since forever, and still not fixed their issues. What makes anyone think that this year will be different?

And don't get me all wrong. I do see your point. I do see how the Browns are in the discussion. As someone said earlier, all 32 teams are in the discussion. I just don't see the Browns coming together like that.

This is all happenstance. Nothing is solid, real, or tangible. Like I said earlier, I think that if Peyton leaves, he will only go to a team where all of the pieces are in place already, minus a quarterback. The Browns need a lot of help, have drafted high since forever, and still not fixed their issues. What makes anyone think that this year will be different?

And don't get me all wrong. I do see your point. I do see how the Browns are in the discussion. As someone said earlier, all 32 teams are in the discussion. I just don't see the Browns coming together like that.

oh i wasnt saying that you were wrong on anything, like you im pretty sure he wont go to cleveland either. i guess i was kinda defending Cleveland in a way lol. but i do see where you were going with your post.