Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hooker int prediction for the season.

Stephen

I'll say just 2 but I think we, as fans, overthink things sometimes and forget that, although very talented, these guys are rookies and are trying to adjust to NFL life.  I think he will improve each year for several years though and could soon be leading the league.  But I'll start him with just 2, and getting a hand in on several others as tips for other INT's or break-ups.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Listen I like Butler as much as the next guy but this is his first year playing safety. He's not starting over Hooker.

Butler spent about half the season last year playing safety, unless he sustains an injury i dont forsee him riding the bench. Many thought green would neat out Adams for the starting position. I love the Hooker pick but he is extremely inexperienced Butler isnt. IMO butler gets the knod to go.

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

Butler spent about half the season last year playing safety, unless he sustains an injury i dont forsee him riding the bench. Many thought green would neat out Adams for the starting position. I love the Hooker pick but he is extremely inexperienced Butler isnt. IMO butler gets the knod to go.

He may be inexperienced but Butler is inexperienced playing safety... I don't see how you can play the inexperience card when Butler isn't experienced at the position either, especially when Hooker is simply a lot more talented than Butler.

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

He may be inexperienced but Butler is inexperienced playing safety... I don't see how you can play the inexperience card when Butler isn't experienced at the position either, especially when Hooker is simply a lot more talented than Butler.

You go watch the tape from last season with Butler at safety and tell me how inexperienced Butler is at safety. He has actual NFL experience Hooker doesn't. It will take him atleast a season to get acclimated with the speed of the NFL. Not to mention NFL QBs are far smarter than the college QBs Hooker matched against. Ballard has already said the BEST 11 will be on the field. Just because Hooker was a 1st round pick does not guarantee him the start he still needs to beat out the competition.

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

You go watch the tape from last season with Butler at safety and tell me how inexperienced Butler is at safety. He has actual NFL experience Hooker doesn't. It will take him atleast a season to get acclimated with the speed of the NFL. Not to mention NFL QBs are far smarter than the college QBs Hooker matched against. Ballard has already said the BEST 11 will be on the field. Just because Hooker was a 1st round pick does not guarantee him the start he still needs to beat out the competition.

Have you seen Hooker play? Like at all? He beats out the competition. You're playing devil's advocate to suggest he's anything but a day 1 starter. Easily a full tier above any other safety on the roster.

43 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Okay go watch the tape of Hooker at OSU and tell me he's inexperienced? This works both ways. Yes Ballard did say the best 11 will be on the field, and I can't seee Butler beating out Hooker unless they give it to Butler based on experience alone.

49 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Have you seen Hooker play? Like at all? He beats out the competition. You're playing devil's advocate to suggest he's anything but a day 1 starter. Easily a full tier above any other safety on the roster.

Of course ive seen him play, I've seen him play on the collegiate level. He hasn't played a single down in the NFL. The NFL is a different beast and i see him having some rookie growing pains transitioning and because of that i still believe Butler wins the starting gig day.

General consensus around here seems to be between 3&5. On one hand, he's a rookie who is a obviously going to take time to assimilate into the NFL. On the other hand, based off some of the QBs the colts will be facing, perhaps he picks off a few more footballs.

I'll say in a fully healthy season, he gets 4. 

23 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

Ed Reed led the league in interceptions in three separate years. His highest league leading total was 9 (twice) and 8 the other time.

Trivia question: What legendary QB led the league in defensive interceptions one year with 11?

Sammy Baugh- he also led the league in punting too

21 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

General consensus around here seems to be between 3&5. On one hand, he's a rookie who is a obviously going to take time to assimilate into the NFL. On the other hand, based off some of the QBs the colts will be facing, perhaps he picks off a few more footballs.

I'll say in a fully healthy season, he gets 4. 

Carson palmer likes to go deep and big ben. He could get 4 from both of them alone .

On 4/29/2017 at 7:40 PM, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

5-7 16 games

3-5 10+/- games.

I would think hes going to start from day one. Don't see TJ Green starting over him.

This seems about right.  I don't think his injuries are that serious, so let's hope he's good for the full 16 (and post-season).

On 4/29/2017 at 7:55 PM, Stephen said:

I agree. Gruden like guys who can tackle and so didnt care for the pick but if you draft a guy who could lead the league in ints how can that not help the team

He tackles fine in the open field, as you pointed out in a later post he still struggles with angles at RBs in the box (a lot of guys do).  Let's not forget he's only in his 3rd or 4th year of competitive football and only started one season in college.  Some coaching and experience should fix some of what critics blast him for, and with Geathers at the other safety spot, I'm assuming we're not going to be seeing Hooker crashing the box too often anyway.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:16 PM, Stephen said:

It is amazing noone has gotten close to that in years

I don't think so.  The reason I say that is this -- with all the film prep., etc. that goes on in the NFL now, teams know to stay away from throwing at certain DBs. 

A couple of years ago, I thought Vontae was playing like a top 3 CB in the league but he didn't have many interceptions -- it was because teams were watching the film and knowing not to throw at him.  He was locking his side of the field week in and week out.  Deion was like that, too -- he only had 5 or more interceptions 5 times in his 14 year career simply because teams knew not to throw at him after seeing the film on him.

To me, interceptions are a very misleading stat.  Guys that are getting a lot of them are usually getting thrown at quite a bit, likely either because they've got a strong secondary and it's a pick your poison approach to dissecting the defense (ala Richard Sherman -- there weren't any real weaknesses in that secondary the two years he got 8 INTs, not like Browner, Chancellor or Thomas were real treats to throw at). 

If Hooker comes in and doesn't get a lot of picks, but it means other teams aren't taking deep shots down the field, that is fine by me.  It means he's doing his job so effectively he's making other teams lose dimensions from their offense.

12 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

This seems about right.  I don't think his injuries are that serious, so let's hope he's good for the full 16 (and post-season).

He tackles fine in the open field, as you pointed out in a later post he still struggles with angles at RBs in the box (a lot of guys do).  Let's not forget he's only in his 3rd or 4th year of competitive football and only started one season in college.  Some coaching and experience should fix some of what critics blast him for, and with Geathers at the other safety spot, I'm assuming we're not going to be seeing Hooker crashing the box too often anyway.

I don't think so.  The reason I say that is this -- with all the film prep., etc. that goes on in the NFL now, teams know to stay away from throwing at certain DBs. 

A couple of years ago, I thought Vontae was playing like a top 3 CB in the league but he didn't have many interceptions -- it was because teams were watching the film and knowing not to throw at him.  He was locking his side of the field week in and week out.  Deion was like that, too -- he only had 5 or more interceptions 5 times in his 14 year career simply because teams knew not to throw at him after seeing the film on him.

To me, interceptions are a very misleading stat.  Guys that are getting a lot of them are usually getting thrown at quite a bit, likely either because they've got a strong secondary and it's a pick your poison approach to dissecting the defense (ala Richard Sherman -- there weren't any real weaknesses in that secondary the two years he got 8 INTs, not like Browner, Chancellor or Thomas were real treats to throw at). 

If Hooker comes in and doesn't get a lot of picks, but it means other teams aren't taking deep shots down the field, that is fine by me.  It means he's doing his job so effectively he's making other teams lose dimensions from their offense.

Well if he shuts down one half of the field that is good to but flacco throws at anybody