Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

On 4/27/2017 at 10:50 PM, Superman said:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-hooker-vs-michigan-2016/

Go to 4:30 and just watch 15 seconds of film before you talk about how he "can't tackle," please. 

He is absolutely not a physically imposing tackler, he's not an enforcer or thumper. But he absolutely can make big plays as a tackler. And more importantly, he gets in good position, breaks down well and gets his arms around ball carriers to bring them down. Not quite a drag down tackler, but he's definitely not out there stoning guys left and right. 

This is a great draft pick, without a doubt. He was the best secondary player in this draft, let alone safety. To me, the only reason he didn't go in the top five -- rare air for a safety, but he belonged, IMO -- is because he's still recovering from surgery. Same reason Jonathan Allen fell to #17, but apparently Hooker's medical is less concerning than Allen's. 

I was so focused on whether Barnett would fall and so wrapped up in all the trades (what an eventful first round! I can't remember the last time so much happened in the first round. A couple years ago, there were virtually no trades, then tonight everybody wanted to be Kevin Costner...) that I forgot about Hooker. The board worked out very well for the Colts, and assuming Hooker has a clean bill of health, this will be a slam dunk draft pick. 

I liked Barnett also but I think he was a top 10 pick in a 4-3 and just didn't equate to that in a 3-4. I'm much happier with Hooker.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/28/2017 at 8:04 PM, DougDew said:

Wow....the Marcus Williams FS- UTAH  "ballhawking" interception highlights look JUST LIKE Malik Hooker's "ballhawking" interception highlights.   Go figure.  

Except his run tackling highlights look much better.

I'll bet the FSs taken in the 3rd round will have some equally nice "ballhawking" interception highlights too.

I just hope the kid gets healthy. That's awfully high to pick a safety but if he can translate his college play to pros he will be worth it. He is going to miss all the mini camps so he is going to start at a disadvantage but at least we have Butler to start the season if he can't go or has a set back.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:23 PM, dw49 said:

I liked Barnett also but I think he was a top 10 pick in a 4-3 and just didn't equate to that in a 3-4. I'm much happier with Hooker.

Agreed.  I liked Barnett too but Hooker does fit better with what we're doing in Indy.  The whole time leading up to our pick I was thinking "Hooker or Foster please!".  Now after finding out there are legit concerns about Foster's shoulder I'm more than excited Hooker fell to the Colts.

48 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Agreed.  I liked Barnett too but Hooker does fit better with what we're doing in Indy.  The whole time leading up to our pick I was thinking "Hooker or Foster please!".  Now after finding out there are legit concerns about Foster's shoulder I'm more than excited Hooker fell to the Colts.

Somehow , I forgot about Hooker being a top 10 pick and the selection took me by surprise.

Yeah on Foster , he might end up to be great but no doubt a risk. Besides shoulder , he also had the weird character stuff going on at the combine. Plus the positive test (diluted) and I also read that he had concussion issues early at Alabama . Something about having a couple and taking much longer than expected to recover . I too was thinking Foster when the QB's and WR's went in the top 12 . Then like I said , I forgot about Hooker , figured Philly takes Barnettt and really couldn't think of another player I wanted at 15 other than Harris ... and he was no bargain there. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Somehow , I forgot about Hooker being a top 10 pick and the selection took me by surprise.

Yeah on Foster , he might end up to be great but no doubt a risk. Besides shoulder , he also had the weird character stuff going on at the combine. Plus the positive test (diluted) and I also read that he had concussion issues early at Alabama . Something about having a couple and taking much longer than expected to recover . I too was thinking Foster when the QB's and WR's went in the top 12 . Then like I said , I forgot about Hooker , figured Philly takes Barnettt and really couldn't think of another player I wanted at 15 other than Harris ... and he was no bargain there. 

It's understandable to forget about Hooker because in just about every mock draft out there he was long gone by 15.

2 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

I know Hooker is a ball hawk, but how is he as a tackler?

Your answer may vary.  I've seen there are concerns, and I've seen he's OK.  He's not a "box" safety like Adams so he's not your typical "thumper" type that will intimidate with his hits.  He CAN intimidate QB's though if his range translates in the NFL like it did at OSU.  Either way, he's stepping up a level and will need to work on every facet of his game to succeed in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Something I've noticed the more i've watched Hooker.... he tries to make chip tackles and tackles with the shoulder a lot. They need to teach him better technique.

I remember watching tape of him about two months ago and just remember his range and ball hawking skills were some of the best I've seen in years.

I don't recall remember anything special about his tackle skills, which is why I asked. I love the combination of him and Geathers (Since Geathers is a hard hitter and hits line a linebacker!)

TJ Green is a bigger and taller guy with a ton of speed. Hopefully he can continue to grow as a cover guy, who could potentially come in off the bench and help blitz the QB, or perhaps cover Tight Ends.

The youth is there and so is the talent. Hopefully these guys can reach their full potential. I haven't been this excited since Sanders/Bethea I was also praying that Mike Doss would blossom.. but that never happened.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

It's understandable to forget about Hooker because in just about every mock draft out there he was long gone by 15.

Yup....   I'm with you and DW49....    when I made my last list of possible draft picks that I'd good with,  I left Hooker off my list....      it never EVER occurred to me that he'd be there at 15.     I wasn't even thinking about them,  and the commissioner announced his name,   and I did a double-take.     What?     He's still available?!?

And he was....   I was both stunned and thrilled!     And it's clear that Ballard stuck to his BPA principle,  at least in the first round.....   

I think the Colts are fortunate to get Hooker....    I hope it's the start of a 10+ year career....

On 5/1/2017 at 3:23 PM, dw49 said:

I seriously think if both Barnett and Hooker are there at 15, Ballard goes Barnett.

I absolutely love Hooker and never dreamed of him being there at 15.

But I have a feeling Barnett is going to be a force in Philly along with Fletcher Cox.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup....   I'm with you and DW49....    when I made my last list of possible draft picks that I'd good with,  I left Hooker off my list....      it never EVER occurred to me that he'd be there at 15.     I wasn't even thinking about them,  and the commissioner announced his name,   and I did a double-take.     What?     He's still available?!?

And he was....   I was both stunned and thrilled!     And it's clear that Ballard stuck to his BPA principle,  at least in the first round.....   

I think the Colts are fortunate to get Hooker....    I hope it's the start of a 10+ year career....

It was a crazy first 14 picks. If Hooker goes instead of one of the offensive players , do the Colts get a bargain at 15 ? If they can't trade back , I can't see it happening. J Allen has shoulder issues and no-one traded up to take OJ Howard. So in essence , 2 (Allen +Foster) of the guys that "dropped" as a result of the early "over drafting" had red flags and the other was a TE. So you might say the Colts and Bucs were really the only 2 teams that no doubt benefited ? I mean look at the other players between 16 and 22. IMO all are drafted right about where they figured to go ?

I wonder how much him almost quitting football played in teams passing on him? It's weird watching the videos on youtube about him being on the verge of leaving it all behind after his freshman season.

Here's his mother talking about it:

9 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

Barnett and Cox in Philly will be nasty together.

It's gonna make me thing on when Reggie White and Brown played together for Philly.

I think Barnett will have a better career over Garrett IMO.

Doubt it, the latter's measurables are way better in every way; size, speed, quickness, length, height...

Almost sounded like Antonio Morrison would have a better career than JaDeveon Clowney.

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wonder how much him almost quitting football played in teams passing on him? It's weird watching the videos on youtube about him being on the verge of leaving it all behind after his freshman season.

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

i saw people bringing this up before the draft, but i dont have any problem with it at all

didnt watch the videos, but my take is that he didnt want to bother with college football if he was just going to rot away on the bench forever. 

he is clearly talented in other sports too, i think he wanted to make sure he was going to play and see meaningful action, whether it was football, basketball, track or whatever

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I just hope the kid gets healthy. That's awfully high to pick a safety but if he can translate his college play to pros he will be worth it. He is going to miss all the mini camps so he is going to start at a disadvantage but at least we have Butler to start the season if he can't go or has a set back.

15 is only high for one dimensional box safeties.