Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

End Of The Probowl?

Peyton and Eli fan

Or, instead of removing it, he could improve it.....meaning he could not have touched it and moved it before the Super Bowl and all that. Goodell had a huge part in making the Pro Bowl even worse than it was

I'm out of likes for the day, or you'd get one 21. It was never meant to be taken too seriously, but this year was an insult to the fans. Fix it or quit it.

I'm out of likes for the day, or you'd get one 21. It was never meant to be taken too seriously, but this year was an insult to the fans. Fix it or quit it.

haha thank you, sir. Goodell did as much to ruin the game as anyone else, so he shouldn't say "based off what I saw last Sunday", it should be more like "based on the result of changes I made"

Players get paid to play no matter what right? Perhaps winning team gets paid?....the players never seem to be competitive and it's all about 100% offense and nothing more...and even that is a far cry from what it should be.

I also agree with everyone ProBowl before the SuperBowl was the dumbest move ever....

Players get paid to play no matter what right? Perhaps winning team gets paid?....the players never seem to be competitive and it's all about 100% offense and nothing more...and even that is a far cry from what it should be.

I also agree with everyone ProBowl before the SuperBowl was the dumbest move ever....

Loser gets 25k, winner gets 50k.

It's ironic, it wasn't until they changed it to get better ratings that it got so bad.

Goodell should know that this isn't a game where players are interested in playing smash mouth football. There's no way they even want to risk any kind of injury in this kind of meaningless game. If you watched the game, no one was even tackling anyone. Even Drew Brees tried kicking an extra point.

I don't think the players even take this game seriously.

What do you guys think about having some implications for the Pro Bowl winner (other than giving them more money than they already need...seriously, 50 grand is more than what some people make in a year), like they do in baseball? In baseball, the winning side gets homefield advantage in the World Series. While we can't do that with the Super Bowl, how could we make it more meaningful?

What do you guys think about having some implications for the Pro Bowl winner (other than giving them more money than they already need...seriously, 50 grand is more than what some people make in a year), like they do in baseball? In baseball, the winning side gets homefield advantage in the World Series. While we can't do that with the Super Bowl, how could we make it more meaningful?

I think you could do something with the schedule. Like say the AFC wins the probowl then any NFC team they play next season is a home game for the AFC. I know that wouldn't work because of ticket sales for the stadiums but something in scheduling could be done possibly.

I am not against it. Unlike baseball or basketball I am not really sure the NFL can tone down the pro-bowl so it's a good game for fans but yet make it safe so players can get hurt. It's more or less a pre-season game with all-stars except people aren't fighting for jobs.

It would probably be better to do some kinda all-star challenge like the old QB challenge they used to do. That or make it some kinda flag football game or something. Still that's not really all-star game. There just isn't a good way to do an all-star true football game because of the risk of injury.

I still seriously think the Pro Bowl should be a poker event. You'll get solid ratings (Poker is very popular in the U.S.), you'll get the social player interactions, players will try their best because they know they wont get injured anyways, and winnings can go to charity.

Who wouldn't want to see Aaron Rodgers across a table from Larry Fitzgerald, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady as Aaron Rodgers does his best poker face!?! We'd also gain insight into player's aggressive all-in tendencies, or conservative mannerisms. It would be a great social experiment.

It's better than no Pro-Bowl at all!

I think you could do something with the schedule. Like say the AFC wins the probowl then any NFC team they play next season is a home game for the AFC. I know that wouldn't work because of ticket sales for the stadiums but something in scheduling could be done possibly.

I was thinking about something like that. They keep talking about expanding the season. Maybe they could go to a 17-game schedule, play 16 of the 17 games in conference, and have the 17th game for each team be an interconference (AFC vs. NFC) game. Home field for all the interconference games is determined based on the Pro Bowl winner from the previous year. If NFC wins, all NFC teams play at home against AFC teams the following year and vice versa. The Pro Bowl should be after the Super Bowl so that the Super Bowl teams can participate.

Just move it back after the Super Bowl so all players can play in it and it can be like it used to be the last Football Game of the season. If it wasn't broken why did they think it needed fixed. :slaphead:

Well, it always got terrible ratings, though I never thought it was supposed to be about ratings. I think the bigger issue that has occurred over the last 10-15 years is the monetary value of these players. Some of these guys, especially probowlers, make tens of millions of dollars per yer. Making them an incredible asset to the franchise. From the players perspective, they stand to lose tens of millions of dollars if they were to suffer a freak injury. Players get hurt bad every year in practice, so the potential is there for disaster.

My solution would be to do away with it and retain the accolade of being voted into the probowl, instead calling it perhaps the All-Pro team ("Team" being figurative, not literal). Then have them meet up after the SB and do a fun skills challenge during primetime. I would watch that for sure, and the players retain the honor of being voted to an exclusive "club" by their peers, without fear of injury or insulting the fans with powder-puff football games.