Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic FA Wishlist

1 hour ago, Rhane19 said:

Projected late round draft pick, pass rusher, has the last name of Mathis... I like this idea and support it, even though I know absolutely nothing about him besides those 3 things.

Jo Jo. Yeah. I think he has some potential. He'll be a 6-UDFA. And I want us to add as many EDGE guys as possible.

Hightower, Jeffrey,  Hankins, Simon, Warford                                                                                                                                                                  

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Technically, we could make multiple big money deals work under the cap. The problem is big money deals come with big signing bonuses and big salaries, and that cash has to be paid out and will eventually hit the cap. Teams with sound cap strategy keep their cash in check so that they can continue to have cap space in the future. Not to mention that cash is real money that comes out of someone's bank account and affects the organization's P&L/cash flow. 

It really sucks when you pay big money and have a large cap commitment in the future for a player that doesn't work out. That's why teams with sound cap strategy are conservative in free agency and careful about who they give big money to. 

Last thing, I think Bouye gets Josh Norman money, so 5/60 won't work for him. I could be wrong, obviously.

Edit: One more last thing, don't make the mistake of seeing these big FAs go to teams with reasonable Year 1 cap hits and saying "SEE, the Colts could have signed all those guys with their cap space, and they didn't!" Don't lose sight of the cash, which is what dictates contract structure and future cap hits/flexibiity.

Agree on the Bouye thought.  I dont want him for that much.   He is not worth more than Vontae and it sends a bad message to Davis who will then want more. They can get a good corner in the draft. Rounds 1-2 and pay them change for a few years.   

That said I want the best available corner in RD 1 unless a gift falls to us at OLB

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Big signing means overpaying. Not sure I'm in for that mess. Some key cogs would be nice but I'm not trying to break the bank

Yeah, that's what everyone wants.  But if we want to get a proven playmaker on D, we're going to have to pay.

If we break the bank on one guy like Poe or Hightower, it may be well worth it.  Obviously, we'll be overpaying.  Whoever gets them, and a few of the other big name FAs, will overpay.  

On 3/2/2017 at 2:15 AM, Superman said:

You're talking about at least $100m in signing bonuses for just your new signings, not to mention their salaries and the rest of the roster. You'd have the Colts way above $200m in cash in 2017.

It's very easy to spend someone else's money, especially when it's not your job on the line.

You saved me a lot of adding up there :P 

On 3/1/2017 at 3:34 PM, COLTS449 said:

Man we are gonna have money to spend, and as long as we hit on at least 2-3 players in the draft for the next 2-3 years we wont have any cap issues, as the young guys would come in and replace some older guys, we could let some guys walk, etc.

By that time with great drafts we could let Vontae walk

and obviously Langford, Allen, if he's not cut this year, which he should be, Branch if we sign him, and even replacing Vinny in a year or 2 with a UDFA would free up a couple mill, etc. Its all about hitting in the draft. Worry about 3-4 years from now when that time comes. I mean we could have a draft where we come our with 5 starters one year, as I think CB will bring in some stars via the draft.

Isn't Vontae Davis an Unrestricted Free Agent after this season?  He might walk on his own after you paid an outsider (Bouye) notably more than him, and Davis has more quality seasons and greater body of work.  Just how much and for how long will you give Davis for in 2018 to stick around?

Chris Ballard will be very thorough in all FA decisions, and his emphasis will be on how that player impacts the locker room first and foremost. This is his quote-

"What I am going to say, though, is when we do dip into free agency and sign other players, we have to be right on the player you sign. So let me give you an example: you pay a guy a lot of money, and you plug him into the locker room. Well the locker room is watching. They are watching. So to me, in my mind, that guy has to be a worker, he has to be a good teammate, he has to earn it. He has to earn that money and earn that right. And he’s got to be a fit. He’s got to be a fit for what you’re doing offensively and defensively. So that’s where my fear of free agency comes in, making sure we know exactly what we’re [getting], is he a good fit, is he the type of person that’s going to come in and the other players are not going to resent him because he’s making an amount of money. If he’s a worker and he’s a good teammate and he’s going to help us win, they’ll buy in and he’ll be a good player for us. That’s my take on free agency."

He breaks it down further-

"It takes time to build that team and build that locker room and that camaraderie that it takes to really have something special. And you can’t buy that. You can’t buy a locker room. So when you do dip into free agency, and I’m not saying we won’t do it, because if we do, we’ve got to be right on the person we bring in the locker room. So just think of it this way: if you give a guy an inordinate amount of money, a lot of money, make him one of your highest-paid players, and he has a character flaw, you have just sent a message to your locker room that it doesn’t matter. That’s the message you’ve sent. "will be couteous and deliberate.

Ballard will do FA, just  not a bunch of them

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Big signing means overpaying. Not sure I'm in for that mess. Some key cogs would be nice but I'm not trying to break the bank

Sometimes..but signing free agents also helps young players ion that side of the ball...we cant get everybody but free agent acquistions in positions of need lift the team.

We cannot fix all our needs in the draft...we have too many

On 3/1/2017 at 10:33 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Jack Doyle 

Darius Butler 

Erik Walden 

Robert Turbin 

Nice and then 8-8 or worse that's what I'm talking about:thmup: Everyone knows you win by never upgrading your roster with talent!! Its all about over paying old guys who have led your D to bottom 3 in the league

Micah Hyde

Zack brown

John Simon

Pick a CB...I'd probably go bouye or kirkpatrick

Larry warford

Bennie logan or Jonathan Hankins

Devin Taylor or Jarvis jones

What the hell lets add Kevin minter too :D

That seems greedy. Is that greedy?

On 3/5/2017 at 10:44 PM, oldunclemark said:

Sometimes..but signing free agents also helps young players ion that side of the ball...we cant get everybody but free agent acquistions in positions of need lift the team.

We cannot fix all our needs in the draft...we have too many

I know I would not pay like JAX did last year.  Ridiculous numbers to start last year's FA.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:13 AM, TYtheMan13 said:

Just want to know what everyone is thinking in this boring/build up time before free agency...list away

Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick - either can start next to Davis. Both young and shows good potential. Better than any other corner we had last year besides Davis. With this Colts can move Robinson to the slot to replace Butler.

Dont'a Hightower- instant upgrade, starter, good all around linebacker.

Dontari Poe or Brandon Williams- either will start over parry, huge upgrade.

Jabaal Sheard- can replace Walden, starter capability.

Micah Hyde-  versatile player, can play safety or corner when needed. Good all around player. 

I know we need pass rushers, i say fix that in the draft along with other needs such as running backs, one more young player on Dline, another inside linebacker to battle for spot next to whoever starts, safety, cornerback, and a TE to replace Doyle (who wants to test FA and might leave for a better contract)

This isn't Madden :D I can't see Ballard going all out in Free Ageny, but I wish.