Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vegas-Patriots Likely To Repeat In 2017

King Colt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

When was the last time the patriots didn't get the 1st or 2nd seed in the playoffs?

2009 - one and done vs the Ravens.

Prior to that, it was 2006 - #4 seed that played the Colts at RCA Dome in the AFCCG after upsetting the #1 seed, the Chargers.

However, they have not won the AFCCG on the road as a #2 seed since 2004 vs Steelers (lost AFCCG as #2 seed on the road in 2013, 2015 to Peyton led Broncos, lost AFCCG as #2 seed at home to Ravens). That is the reason I always root for them not to get the #1 seed, as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

2009 - one and done vs the Ravens.

Prior to that, it was 2006 - #4 seed that played the Colts at RCA Dome in the AFCCG after upsetting the #1 seed, the Chargers.

However, they have not won the AFCCG on the road as a #2 seed since 2004 vs Steelers. That is the reason I always root for them not to get the #1 seed, as much as possible.

The pats have maintained their game long enough for the entire AFC to start sucking, much like the days of old with the NFC. Lucky mothers. 

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The pats have maintained their game long enough for the entire AFC to start sucking, much like the days of old with the NFC. Lucky mothers. 

Yeah, true dat. I will be curious to see how the Chiefs play the Patriots at Foxboro next year, and how the Patriots play at NO, Pitt and Denver next year.

I do wonder if anyone will shine anything on Brady when they play the Raiders in Mexico City. :)

Depends on:

1) Roster moves. Butler is restricted so he'll be easier, but Hightower could be tough to sign. They may franchise him. They have other key FAs, so not everyone will be kept. Belichick doesn't mind taking a step back with younger, cheaper players because he knows he can work with them and get the most out of marginal talent. If they start over to an extent, with new guys in key spots, they could take a step back, especially on D. 

2) Other free agents and the draft. And trades of course. Will teams offer a 1st rounder for Jimmy G? At the moment it sounds like it, but it's February. Getting an impact player in trade or a high draft pick can change a team's outlook quickly. 

3) Home field. Never been more convinced that it's THE most important aspect of the regular season. Teams do win on the road but it's much, much harder. I know it's obvious but I just don't think you can overstate it. 

Should be an interesting offseason. Will Romo end up in the AFC? 

On 2/8/2017 at 5:21 AM, southwest1 said:

Hey, I just realized Jimmy G. is a 2 time SB Champion now. Not a bad gig backing up Brady is it? 

He did play well this yr in Tom's absence though. I wonder if he appreciates how hard rings are to get though. I'm still surprised that BB is looking to move him. I just figured he'd be a nice successor to the legend in Boston not named Paul Revere. Just sayin'. 

I'm not shocked at all. Bibb Kraft said during SB week (and I am paraphrasing) "I know his end date and he knows his end date." Talking about BB retiring. So let's say it's 4 years from now, you trade Jimmy G to say Cleveland get their #12 pick (IMO Jimmy G better any QB available in the draft and that's a win win) BB With that pick gets a stud pass rusher to replace Chandler Jones and gets a LB at 32 to replace Collins.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, GoPats said:

Depends on:

1) Roster moves. Butler is restricted so he'll be easier, but Hightower could be tough to sign. They may franchise him. They have other key FAs, so not everyone will be kept. Belichick doesn't mind taking a step back with younger, cheaper players because he knows he can work with them and get the most out of marginal talent. If they start over to an extent, with new guys in key spots, they could take a step back, especially on D. 

2) Other free agents and the draft. And trades of course. Will teams offer a 1st rounder for Jimmy G? At the moment it sounds like it, but it's February. Getting an impact player in trade or a high draft pick can change a team's outlook quickly. 

3) Home field. Never been more convinced that it's THE most important aspect of the regular season. Teams do win on the road but it's much, much harder. I know it's obvious but I just don't think you can overstate it. 

Should be an interesting offseason. Will Romo end up in the AFC? 

HFA is huge in Football. In 2003 and 2004 you guys had it and beat us. We had it in 2006 and won. Then look at your battles against the Broncos as well losing 2 AFC Title Games at MileHigh. Had those games been played at Foxboro I doubt Peyton wins those games. In 2014 I knew we were in trouble heading into that one and Andrew played a lousy game.

15 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

I would wager that the super bowl champion is always the favorite to win it again the following season.

They are normally just like my Cubs are in Baseball. Under rare circumstances the Champion isn't favored, like when the Warriors got Durant. Warriors were favored over the Cavs at the beginning of the season.

On 2/7/2017 at 6:19 AM, JimJaime said:

Way way to early for this! If Denver gets a QB to go with that D they have a very good chance of going and winning it again.

Oakland with a healthy Carr and an improved 2ndary has a chance.

Pitt is always dangerous and will have 2 great WR, a STUD RB, and a HOF QB as well as a young D that should improve.

Texans -- are in the same boat as Denver, I dare say their D is better right now and they have everything except a competent QB.

Titans - a improved D a decent O that's Young with a Franchise QB could make the next step.

I so want out Indy down but even though you have IMO Athe best Young QB in the NFL you have so many holes that Luck has to try and cover up and while he is very Good he is not P Manning or TB12 yet. (IMO your owner should have cleaned house.)

but i I think I have shown a few who could easily rise up and take the AFC from NE next year. Could the Pats repeat? ABSOLUTLY as long as we have Brady and BB they have that chance.

If Romo goes to Denver, im sorry but Denver wins it all. Dude can put up 50 points on the board and even with his mistakes, the Defense will make up for it. Siemen couldnt move the ball in Denver so the defense played alot and tired out.

I agree with Carr and Oakland. I feel like they would play with a lot of passion against New England because of what happened in 2001. I dream that Carr wins it for Oakland because of the tuck rule. That would just prove Karma exists.

Pitt is not dangerous. They always flop against New England.

Texans always perform against weak teams but flop against the power houses.

Titans could step it up. I honestly think they couldve beat New England.

The Falcons were inexperienced. I highly doubt that wouldve happened against the Packers, Giants and never the less the Seahawks. They know what to expect against New England. The Falcons did well though for being new in the Super Bowl. Julio Jones is without a doubt probably the best wide receiver of all time.

3 hours ago, bap1331 said:

If Romo goes to Denver, im sorry but Denver wins it all. Dude can put up 50 points on the board and even with his mistakes, the Defense will make up for it. Siemen couldnt move the ball in Denver so the defense played alot and tired out.

I agree with Carr and Oakland. I feel like they would play with a lot of passion against New England because of what happened in 2001. I dream that Carr wins it for Oakland because of the tuck rule. That would just prove Karma exists.

Pitt is not dangerous. They always flop against New England.

Texans always perform against weak teams but flop against the power houses.

Titans could step it up. I honestly think they couldve beat New England.

The Falcons were inexperienced. I highly doubt that wouldve happened against the Packers, Giants and never the less the Seahawks. They know what to expect against New England. The Falcons did well though for being new in the Super Bowl. Julio Jones is without a doubt probably the best wide receiver of all time.

I disagree on Romo, behind that o line in Denver he would last 2 games TOPS. 

Carr would have lost this year to the Pats in NE. They need to improve the D but def have be fav

pitt O is better than every team listed including Oakland.

Texans D is BETTER than Denver and they have a run game and an O line. They get Romo he may survive the year..

as for the Giants --this year Pats would blow them out.

GB -- their D is beyond bad another blowout.

Seahawks -- good O D gave up 24 when fully healthy to Brady. They were not healthy.. a close game I say Pats still win.

6 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Carr would have lost this year to the Pats in NE. They need to improve the D but def have be fav

Texans D is BETTER than Denver and they have a run game and an O line. They get Romo he may survive the year..

Seahawks -- good O D gave up 24 when fully healthy to Brady. They were not healthy.. a close game I say Pats still win.

Seahawks are done, they haven't been the same since the SB loss to the Pats. The D keeps getting worse each season and Wilson isn't as good without Lynch. Falcons were a 1 year a wonder just like the Panthers and both pee'd their britches in the SB. Texans aren't winning anything with Brock or Savage at QB. The Packers don't have the Defense to win anything and the Broncos don't have the QB. Colts are well, trying to build a Defense and are basically an 8-8 team. Without Andrew it would be ugly. Having said all of that the Patriots will Repeat and I have no reason to think otherwise, they own the Steelers as well.

19 hours ago, -JJ- said:

I beg to differ. Oops..did I just say that :)

I have to joke about it at this point since the Pats are always in the AFC Title Game or win the SB. I always brag about the Colts making 5 AFC Title Games since 1995 and winning a SB but under Brady and Belichick, Pats have made 11 AFC Title Games and won 5 SB's.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to joke about it at this point since the Pats are always in the AFC Title Game or win the SB. I always brag about the Colts making 5 AFC Title Games since 1995 and winning a SB but under Brady and Belichick, Pats have made 11 AFC Title Games and won 5 SB's.

Yeah don't kid yourself- winning one SB is a big deal.  My parents passed in 2000 so never saw NE win a SB let alone 5.

And of course some teams are so dry they've shriveled up:)

5 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

Yeah don't kid yourself- winning one SB is a big deal.  My parents passed in 2000 so never saw NE win a SB let alone 5.

And of course some teams are so dry they've shriveled up:)

Oh 1 is a lot better than 0 as I have expressed that in here. Imagine being the Vikings of the 70's losing 3 SB's and never won 1, the Bills of the 90's who went to 4 straight from 1990-1993 and came up empty, or the Eagles in 2000's who went 5 Title Games and 1 SB but never won 1. I'll take my 1 anyday over that. At least the Colts can say they were World Champions. That is something Dan Marino cant say either.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:46 PM, JimJaime said:

Right now, they are. 

The Chiefs, if they are healthy on D, can be scary. They ran out of enough healthy bodies to challenge the best in the AFC. That is the key, good health on D for the key players and a QB that can be efficient should a low scoring game arise.

Broncos enjoyed it last year with key players, Patriots enjoyed it this year with key players on D. The one streak that still goes on is 6-2 in the first 8 games.

Every SB winner, starting with the 2003 Patriots, have gone 6-2 in their first 8 games. Falcons were 5-3 in the 2016 season. 

2005 Steelers, 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, 2008 Steelers, 2009 Saints, 2010 Packers, 2011 Giants, 2012 Ravens, 2013 Seahawks, 2014 Patriots, 2015 Broncos, 2016 Patriots all went 6-2 or better in their first 8 games. Some had late season stumbles but recovered to show how good they were early on in the season and why they were good early on in the season.

That is why I hate it when people use the term "this team is playing with a lot of momentum going into the playoffs". It matters more if they were good at the beginning like they are good now, based on how things have played out. Just pointing it out. 

On February 11, 2017 at 9:02 AM, JimJaime said:

I'm not shocked at all. Bibb Kraft said during SB week (and I am paraphrasing) "I know his end date and he knows his end date." Talking about BB retiring. So let's say it's 4 years from now, you trade Jimmy G to say Cleveland get their #12 pick (IMO Jimmy G better any QB available in the draft and that's a win win) BB With that pick gets a stud pass rusher to replace Chandler Jones and gets a LB at 32 to replace Collins.

I really like Jimmy G. He's a good looking kid & a very capable QB who can go somewhere else & win. Don't send him to Cleveland though. I'm not that cruel. Give the kid a fighting chance man. Send Ryan Fitzpatrick there to the hopeless Browns first. LOL! 

Robert Kraft is a darn nice owner that I respect. He seems like a laid back billionaire to me & I'd shake his hand if it meant we could called NE "America's Team" instead of the bloated & overrated Cowboys. IF INDY can't hold that esteemed title, then I'm okay with Foxboro having it since they usually win in the playoffs. 

On February 11, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Flying Elvis said:

I would wager that the super bowl champion is always the favorite to win it again the following season.

Nice to see you posting again FE! You're a good dude & I am happy to see that your club ended the yr on a high note. I was pulling for Atlanta, but NE kept clawing back & did just enough to pull a victory out. 

Forget the SpyGate or DeFlate Gate scandals. That was the most exciting SB I have ever seen in my life! BB is the master of halftime adjustments. He just is. The only other guy remotely close to him on that level right now is Pete Carroll & maybe Mike Holmgren from his young Favre GB days perhaps. 

All I gotta say is this: Enjoy the BB/Tom Brady partnership while it lasts because NFL fans will never see so much winning look this easy ever again. Even Bill Walsh, Joe Montana, & Jerry Rice never clicked this much at the highest level under the brightest lights. 

Love em or hate em Brady & Bellichick can coach. Part of me wonders what the grey hoodie would have done if he got promoted to HC in NY under Eli Manning in the Big Apple since BIG Blue is my 2nd favorite team to watch on TV next to my Colts that is.

Off topic: I'm still ticked off that both John Lynch & Terrell Owens got passed over by the NFL HOF again. Let both athletes in next yr please or we're gonna have a conversation or interrogation that won't end well for the voters themselves. Grrr! 

The HOF is all about production on the field. It's not a popularity contest like say a ProBowl vote. End rant. Knock it off & let T.O. & Lynch in already. Enough is enough. I'm through playing around man. This is getting personal now. Let your grudges go NFL writers & TV broadcasters. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Off topic: I'm still ticked off that both John Lynch & Terrell Owens got passed over by the NFL HOF again. Let both athletes in next yr please or we're gonna have a conversation or interrogation that won't end well for the voters themselves. Grrr! 

The HOF is all about production on the field. It's not a popularity contest like say a ProBowl vote. End rant. Knock it off & let T.O. & Lynch in already. Enough is enough. I'm through playing around man. This is getting personal now. Let your grudges go NFL writers & TV broadcasters. Thank you. 

I agree. At some point, ex-coaches (with some kind of minimum tenure of 10 years of coaching in the league or something like that) should have a weighted vote in it, IMO.

But then, it took 2 tries for Marvin Harrison, didn't it?

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I agree. At some point, ex-coaches (with some kind of minimum tenure of 10 years of coaching in the league or something like that) should have a weighted vote in it, IMO.

But then, it took 2 tries for Marvin Harrison, didn't it?

Yeah, I know the WR back log or jam is a large one. However, I'm getting tired of the argument that T.O. was a cancer in the locker room in San Fran, Philly, & Dallas. He was a model citizen in Buffalo & CINCY. Plus, Owens was the best Eagles player on the field in 2004 vs NE in that SB IMO. I know TO can ruffle feathers a lot & be seen as a caboose hole to others. I get that. To me, he's just ultra competitive with a desire to win games whenever he lines up in a formation. He deserves his canary jacket. No question. 

I sincerely hope the 3rd time is the charm for both gentlemen. I'm really gonna miss not hearing Lynch do play by play analysis for FOX Sports anymore. He was 1 of the best announcers around. John will get in eventually. I know that. The waiting game blows though. I hate when I love a guy like Lynch though. Like what's the hold up man? Come on get the lead out. Let's go...We're not getting any younger here folks. 

Nice chatting with you as always Chad. :hat:

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, I know the WR back log or jam is a large one. However, I'm getting tired of the argument that T.O. was a cancer in the locker room in San Fran, Philly, & Dallas. He was a model citizen in Buffalo & CINCY. Plus, Owens was the best Eagles player on the field in 2004 vs NE in that SB IMO. I know TO can ruffle feathers a lot & be seen as a caboose hole to others. I get that. To me, he's just ultra competitive with a desire to win games whenever he lines up in a formation. He deserves his canary jacket. No question. 

I sincerely hope the 3rd time is the charm for both gentlemen. I'm really gonna miss not hearing Lynch do play by play analysis for FOX Sports anymore. He was 1 of the best announcers around. John will get in eventually. I know that. The waiting game blows though. I hate when I love a guy like Lynch though. Like what's the hold up man? Come on get the lead out. Let's go...We're not getting any younger here folks. 

Nice chatting with you as always Chad. :hat:

You do wonder though. If TO does get elected the 3rd time around, would he diss the HOF (would be such a TO thing to do) to protest that a bunch of folks who haven't played day in and day out at the highest level have such a big say in HOF voting? Or will he show up actually?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

You do wonder though. If TO does get elected the 3rd time around, would he diss the HOF (would be such a TO thing to do) to protest that a bunch of folks who haven't played day in and day out at the highest level have such a big say in HOF voting? Or will he show up actually?

Actually, I think TO would show up & be cordial, polite, & magnanimous to everyone around him in Canton. He desperately wants recognition for his superior athletic ability from back in the day. Besides, he's not a bad guy just misunderstood by many who felt his outbursts overshadowed his touchdowns late in his NFL career. 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Nice to see you posting again FE! You're a good dude & I am happy to see that your club ended the yr on a high note. I was pulling for Atlanta, but NE kept clawing back & did just enough to pull a victory out. 

Forget the SpyGate or DeFlate Gate scandals. That was the most exciting SB I have ever seen in my life! BB is the master of halftime adjustments. He just is. The only other guy remotely close to him on that level right now is Pete Carroll & maybe Mike Holmgren from his young Favre GB days perhaps. 

Thanks SW! i never doubted they would come back to win. haha

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Are you be completely honest with me when the score was 28-3 in Atlanta's favor in the second half? No hesitation or fear at all? Really? Come on now...

I will say, at half time we filled up the shot glasses and toasted to 'the greatest comeback in Superbowl history'....but please, at the time not a single one of us believed it! :lombardi:

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Are you be completely honest with me when the score was 28-3 in Atlanta's favor in the second half? No hesitation or fear at all? Really? Come on now...

Sarcasm is hard to convey in print, I thought my "ha ha" would do the trick but alas it didn't. Honestly, I was just hoping for it not to be a blowout.

Belichick preaches to his players to play for 60 minutes whether down by 25 or up by 25 and it certainly paid off in this instance.

26 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

Sarcasm is hard to convey in print, I thought my "ha ha" would do the trick but alas it didn't. Honestly, I was just hoping for it not to be a blowout.

Belichick preaches to his players to play for 60 minutes whether down by 25 or up by 25 and it certainly paid off in this instance.

I was at a SB party so didn't Post here during the game but I honestly thought even when the Pats were down 28-3 they still would win. Tom comes back a lot and the Falcons Defense was on fumes. I don't think highly of Matt Ryan either so maybe that factored in. There have been times when Peyton has been down by 20 or so and I always thought he would find a way too. In our 2006 game vs you guys I was nervous but never thought it was over because we had #18.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:27 AM, dynasty13 said:

I will say, at half time we filled up the shot glasses and toasted to 'the greatest comeback in Superbowl history'....but please, at the time not a single one of us believed it! :lombardi:

I was pretty sure they would actually fight back, but didn't start thinking it could really happen until they got to 28-12. At that point, two scores, enough time left... just needed to be nearly perfect. I remember, as the comeback was unfolding, being thankful that they wouldn't get punked at least, lol... And at some point I thought to myself that it would be an amazing chapter if they could somehow pull it off. 

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

I was pretty sure they would actually fight back, but didn't start thinking it could really happen until they got to 28-12. At that point, two scores, enough time left... just needed to be nearly perfect. I remember, as the comeback was unfolding, being thankful that they wouldn't get punked at least, lol... And at some point I thought to myself that it would be an amazing chapter if they could somehow pull it off. 

I wasn't as confident. Driving down for TDs ok but 2pt conversions are 50%- the fact they need 2 means 25%.

That's a bit much but they beat the odds.

TB want to play at "least" until mid forties.

“I have the answers to the test now,” Brady said.

“You can’t surprise me on defense. I’ve seen it all. I’ve processed 261 games, I’ve played them all. It’s an incredibly hard sport, but because the processes are right and are in place, for anyone with experience in their job, it’s not as hard as it used to be. There was a time when quarterbacking was really hard for me because you didn’t know what to do. Now I really know what to do, I don’t want to stop now. This is when it’s really enjoyable to go out.”

On 2/14/2017 at 5:59 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was at a SB party so didn't Post here during the game but I honestly thought even when the Pats were down 28-3 they still would win. Tom comes back a lot and the Falcons Defense was on fumes. I don't think highly of Matt Ryan either so maybe that factored in. There have been times when Peyton has been down by 20 or so and I always thought he would find a way too. In our 2006 game vs you guys I was nervous but never thought it was over because we had #18.

When you have a Peyton or a Tom you're never out of a game. But sometimes its just not your day. The Falcons were much better than I had thought. A lot of things had to go right for the Pats to win. I'll be darned if that's not what happened.

On February 14, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Flying Elvis said:

If your typical NFL game in regulation minus overtime lasts 180 minutes on average, what's Bill tell his starting roster to do for say the other 120 minutes then? Lip sick BON JOVI hits on the sidelines to kill time? Just curious. 

I was always partial to one of his early songs "Runaway" myself. That number still holds up today. "She's a Run...Un..Un..A-Way!" LOL!