Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Shanahan

Shepman

Kyle Shanahan I just don't know what else to say except in the biggest game he fails with all the chips in hand.  Run the ball and no way Brady comes back.  He should be considered to be fired versus Head Coach promotions.  Sad to see them give that game away and I am no Falcons fan and feel bad for their fans today.

Yeah I am sorta glad we didn't go that way now.  It's like coaches get too cute when they face Belichick.  Instead of just continuing to do what works, they try to spit in his face, and most times it backfires.  And it sure did backfire on Atlanta last night.  Falcons were getting 5.8 per rush and yet only ran 18 times.  And had a 25 point lead.  I don't even know what to say.

It's "The Machine" not just Brady or Hoody as proven by the Pats defense shutting down ATL after the onside kick with a three and out and the very long Pats drive with 3 minutes to play. When you tune a piano you make sure all 88 keys are tuned not 87. The first half Brady was missing his targets, turn overs, the offensive line could not protect Brady, receivers were dropping the ball and the defense let ATL rack up points. Then halftime and you could smell something burning and "that something" was the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history. 21 of 27 in the fourth quarter with the OT were Brady's numbers. Frankly, Brady stunk in the first half and so did his team but it was the team that came back as we witnessed a Jeckle & Hyde performance by all Pats players. If you think we have seen the last of the Pats in Super Bowls I'll say, don't bet on it.

As bad as it was, the play calling after the Jones catch was inexcusable.  You run the ball three times, make the Pats use their time outs, kick the FG and hoist the trophy.  

Shanahan lost his mind just like Bevell did two years ago.  Honestly, Belichick and Brady should currently have a losing record in Super Bowls.

I think he's a phenomenal offensive mind but what I saw last night was one of the biggest chokes by a coach ever. On top of the things that have been mentioned, for some reason they snapped the ball with like 15 seconds in the clock multiple times in the 4th quarter.

There was no rational football explanation for those pass plays and not running down the clock in the fourth quarter.  None. His excuse was that the FG wasn't a sure thing at 37 yards , but that's weak. Any halfway decent kicker hits that most every time . Glad they didn't hire this guy after seeing that. 

1 hour ago, mahagga73 said:

There was no rational football explanation for those pass plays and not running down the clock in the fourth quarter.  None. His excuse was that the FG wasn't a sure thing at 37 yards , but that's weak. Any halfway decent kicker hits that most every time . Glad they didn't hire this guy after seeing that. 

Especially because the kicker had made the prior FG. I could understand if the weather was awful, or they were playing at New England, but it's a Superbowl crowd (who tend to root against New England). Makes no sense why Kyle was scared by that FG.

8 hours ago, Finball said:

I think he's a phenomenal offensive mind but what I saw last night was one of the biggest chokes by a coach ever. On top of the things that have been mentioned, for some reason they snapped the ball with like 15 seconds in the clock multiple times in the 4th quarter.

People disagree with me, but snapping the ball too soon is on Ryan.  No way Peyton Manning does that.  You don't have to be a football genius under center to figure a way to keep the clock moving.

Peyton is no genius.  He just seems that way compared to every other NFL QB.

19 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Especially because the kicker had made the prior FG. I could understand if the weather was awful, or they were playing at New England, but it's a Superbowl crowd (who tend to root against New England). Makes no sense why Kyle was scared by that FG.

Favourable crowed, good field conditions because you're in an indoor stadium, your kicker has a good leg, and a FG would probably seal it for the Falcons.  They came out flat to start the 2nd half and took their foot off the gas way too early, but were still in a good position to win it.  That was an awful call by Shanahan.

And BTW, when in FG range, they ran the ball and lost a yard on first down.  Now its 2nd and 11.

As ATL lined up, I said to myself that the Pats were going to blitz because the only way they win is to knock ATL out of FG range, so they need a sack.

And Ryan backpedals about 5 to 7 steps...slowly...stares down a receiver.   Its like he's on the 50 yard line in the 3rd quarter backpeddling for an18 yard out.  Sack.

Anybody knows you need a short drop back quick release pattern if you're going to stay in FG range. 

Ryan seemed just too dense to see the situation.

26 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I think he was trying for the big play honestly

54 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Favourable crowed, good field conditions because you're in an indoor stadium, your kicker has a good leg, and a FG would probably seal it for the Falcons.  They came out flat to start the 2nd half and took their foot off the gas way too early, but were still in a good position to win it.  That was an awful call by Shanahan.

Argh, I had forgotten it was indoors from watching the TV! Now the decision not to kick it makes even less sense!

49 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think he was trying for the big play honestly

Of which there didn't need to be one because they were up an ungodly amount of points, lol. Still doesn't make any sense.

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Shanahan only done what all of pats opponents do. And that is conveniently having brain cramps for pats.

You're right.  And I honestly can't explain it.  Teams just seem to go away from what they are doing well and the Seahawks and now Falcons have basically handed the Pats these last two Superbowl trophies.  It really makes no sense.  I have termed this nonsense thinking being "Belichicked".