Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers sign Fox analyst John Lynch as GM

snkdy

1 minute ago, Superman said:

They kept this nice and quiet, but Shanahan obviously has a connection to Lynch, through his dad. 

Good for Lynch, and a six year deal is attractive, but I think the Niners are crazy. 

Indeed. Six years is extremely unheard of - especially for a new GM with no prior experience.

15 minutes ago, life long said:

I doubt it, but it would be nice. Then maybe the colts make a move for shanahan.

I am having my doubts about Kyle Shanahan, he reminds me of a Josh McDaniels in his first stint with the Broncos, young and arrogant, and expecting folks to fall in line with what he wants, brandishing a "my way or the highway" Robert De Niro philosophy.

Even Tom Coughlin had to mellow himself down to cater to his players after starting off with a hardline stance with the Giants, but he was experienced enough as a coach to quickly realize what wasn't working (Coughlin, I meant) but Josh McDaniels did not, thus shipping Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall out of town, drafting Tebow etc. and not focusing on building relationships.

The one good quality about an HC is that he has to be respected as a leader amongst men, which is why Elway did not want McDaniels Part II for Denver and went with Vance Joseph. If we do go down the path of an HC, I'd rather go with Dave Toub, along the lines of John Harbaugh, another former ST coach that was very successful bringing vets and young players together for the Ravens.

There might be some young players we might be able to scoop from San Fran.  I'm sure they'll be looking to implement a zone defense with Lynch involved.  That's mainly what they played during Mike Shanahans years too.  They'll probably be looking to get rid of some of the 3-4 personnel.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

This is odd from any angle.

Wasn't Matt Millen available?

Millen has seemed quite remorseful to his failures with the Lions. I doubt he ever goes back into a GM job, not after he's admitted for years now that he screwed up and will acknowledge it as a fact.