Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Williams expected to get more lucrative contract elsewhere

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

He'll want Damon Harrison money.   I felt we should have got Damon Harrison last year.

oh he will, but he could be worth it.....if they make a splash I wouldn't mind it on the D line and have Parry rotate in. They'd just need more competent lb's behind that lol

We NEED run support. As bad as our pass rush is, it doesn't help that we can't stop them on the ground either. This draft class has great Pass Rushers, so we need to get a run stuffer in FA. Doesn't get much better than Williams. He's been at the top of my free agent wish list for a while now (Probably going to post that wish list soon to see what everyone thinks). We NEED to get him in Indy if we are going to fix our defense any time soon. I don't care about the cost. Heck, I'd pay 10 Million a year to bring him here to build out defense around. It isn't like we don't have enough cap room to do that either.

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

We NEED run support. As bad as our pass rush is, it doesn't help that we can't stop them on the ground either. This draft class has great Pass Rushers, so we need to get a run stuffer in FA. Doesn't get much better than Williams. He's been at the top of my free agent wish list for a while now (Probably going to post that wish list soon to see what everyone thinks). We NEED to get him in Indy if we are going to fix our defense any time soon. I don't care about the cost. Heck, I'd pay 10 Million a year to bring him here to build out defense around. It isn't like we don't have enough cap room to do that either.

10 million a year for a 2 down player? No thanks. Would love Brandon on the team but our pass defense has been the bigger liability. Especially the almost comical lack of pressure our front 7 generates.

12 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

10 million a year for a 2 down player? No thanks. Would love Brandon on the team but our pass defense has been the bigger liability. Especially the almost comical lack of pressure our front 7 generates.

Hey, remember the Dungy days. Why pass when you can run with high percentage plays? If the Patriots have shown us time and time again vs our front, and the Raiders and Texans with their O-line showed us recently, our front can wear out against the run. If the price is right, I am all for signing him. If we do shell out $8 mil. a year, it can't be for more than 3 years, IMO.

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hey, remember the Dungy days. Why pass when you can run with high percentage plays? If the Patriots have shown us time and time again vs our front, and the Raiders and Texans with their O-line showed us recently, our front can wear out against the run. If the price is right, I am all for signing him. If we do shell out $8 mil. a year, it can't be for more than 3 years, IMO.

I am not saying run D isn't important. It absolutely is. Those Pats games we had a semblence of a pass rush. We don't now. Sure, run D is important. Just pass defense is the far bigger need.

4 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Williams is only 27, and has a year less of NFL wear and tear on him. Both would be great, but I don't see age being a factor in the decision.

google was showing him to be 28 in some places.  I just saw 27 though so you're right.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Yeah, me too! He would be my number one signing, to start building a monster. 

Wasn't Poe in the line up when LeVeon Bell ran for all these yards, and the Chiefs have given up all these rushing yards and TDs to Latavius Murray, Derrick Henry & DeMarco Murray etc.? The Steelers, Raiders and Titans have good O-lines and that evaluation tells me he is not all that when it comes to dealing with good O-lines.

I am not sold on Poe as much as you guys are.

I just looked it up on profootball focus, if you are into their grades. It matches with my eye test with Brandon Williams rated higher than Dontari Poe:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

Melvin Ingram and Nick Perry are 2 highly rated ED (edge defenders) on there and for a team seeking pass rush and some interior help, signing Brandon Williams at $8 mil. per year plus Ingram and/or Perry would be a great start, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

I think Ingram is the prize of the edge rushers the only thing that scares me is there are so few the price is gonna get driven up

Packers do not overpay and there is a very good chance Nick Perry is on some other team. I'd be happy with just signing him and Brandon Williams, get the rest from the draft. Re-signing Erik Walden however should be a priority, IMO, if the price is right. Cole and Mathis gone, we should keep Walden.

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Wasn't Poe in the line up when LeVeon Bell ran for all these yards, and the Chiefs have given up all these rushing yards and TDs to Latavius Murray, Derrick Henry & DeMarco Murray etc.? The Steelers, Raiders and Titans have good O-lines and that evaluation tells me he is not all that when it comes to dealing with good O-lines.

I am not sold on Poe as much as you guys are.

I just looked it up on profootball focus, if you are into their grades. It matches with my eye test with Brandon Williams rated higher than Dontari Poe:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

Melvin Ingram and Nick Perry are 2 highly rated ED (edge defenders) on there and for a team seeking pass rush and some interior help, signing Brandon Williams at $8 mil. per year plus Ingram and/or Perry would be a great start, IMO.

I definitely can not disagree with you there.  Having a solid NT (either one) would be a dramatic help for us.  Adding one of Perry or Ingram would also be nice.  I hope we can or even will actually go after someone.  The problem is Grigson's past and going after mid level guys or players 30 and above.

3 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Silliness.
 It screws your pass defense up when you are constantly giving up 5-7 yard runs.
And 50+% of runs are between the guards.
 The guy has caught my eye when watching the Ravens.
  Doesn`t matter, he won`t come here. We have a proven record of not knowing how to build a defense.

4 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

I understand where you are coming from but I don't see him as only a 2 down player. In Baltimore, he rarely was given the chance to get after the quarterback. When he was, he looked pretty good though. It's also proven that stopping the run helps the pass defense. Less long runs means more long 3rd downs, more passing attempts, and more chances to get after the quarterback. I would rather get our pass rush through the draft with all the young talent coming out.

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Silliness.
 It screws your pass defense up when you are constantly giving up 5-7 yard runs.
And 50+% of runs are between the guards.
 The guy has caught my eye when watching the Ravens.
  Doesn`t matter, he won`t come here. We have a proven record of not knowing how to build a defense.

Yes, but 10 million a year for a guy who has to come off the field when you are in nickel and dime. No thanks. Like I said, I would like him on our team. 10 million is way too much for that kind of player. Silliness? More like pragmatism.

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I understand where you are coming from but I don't see him as only a 2 down player. In Baltimore, he rarely was given the chance to get after the quarterback. When he was, he looked pretty good though. It's also proven that stopping the run helps the pass defense. Less long runs means more long 3rd downs, more passing attempts, and more chances to get after the quarterback. I would rather get our pass rush through the draft with all the young talent coming out.

I think he's great but I don't think we should pay 10 million for him, especially with all the holes on this team.

I think Brandon Williams is overestimating his own worth and will end up testing free agency. Teams don't generally pay NT's a ton, as they are two down players. Damon Harrison is in a league of his own when it comes to the position and Brandon Williams isn't in that league. I think he'll get 5-6 million a year for two or three years, and I hope that's with us. 

Then we can sign Melvin Ingram, AJ Bouye, and Zach Brown. :)

8 hours ago, krunk said:

He'll want Damon Harrison money.   I felt we should have got Damon Harrison last year.

Me too.  He was out there for a long time before he signed with Giants.  I couldn't believe we didn't go after him.  Either Poe or Williams would be fantastic though.  I tend to lean towards Poe if he even comes free.  I have mentioned him before but Dan Shelton of the Browns will probably be available in a trade and he's only 23.  Have to keep all options on the table.  Maybe offer Dorsett for Shelton to start the talks.  Both No.1 picks for their teams.  It can't hurt to talk. 

Poe is getting tagged. We are not getting Poe. Brandon Williams will be on the market because the Ravens can't afford him. I'd go after him as it is a position of need and I'd rather have a veteran who has had success rather than relying on another rookie on the defensive line. We have too many newbies at that position already.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Packers do not overpay and there is a very good chance Nick Perry is on some other team. I'd be happy with just signing him and Brandon Williams, get the rest from the draft. Re-signing Erik Walden however should be a priority, IMO, if the price is right. Cole and Mathis gone, we should keep Walden.

What is up with this obsession with Erik Walden after 1 year in his entire career of production? Do you know how many sacks he had in the first 3 years for us? 12 in total. So Yea let's waste another 20 mil over 3 years for a 1 year floozy I mean he's only ganna be 32, he's only getting younger

5 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

I think he's great but I don't think we should pay 10 million for him, especially with all the holes on this team.

Holes are not with the depth players, but with stars - absolutely no difference makers on defense that the opposing offense must account for and/or double-team.

Signing a proven commodity at NT is far better than signing 2-3 mediocre depth players with the same salary, ala RJF, Laron Landry, Trent Cole, Andre Johnson.

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

Poe is getting tagged. We are not getting Poe. Brandon Williams will be on the market because the Ravens can't afford him. I'd go after him as it is a position of need and I'd rather have a veteran who has had success rather than relying on another rookie on the defensive line. We have too many newbies at that position already.

Most likely he will, but they also have to worry about Eric Berry hitting the market as well. Personally I think we should target which ever one isn't being retained by KC. 

1 hour ago, I'm mad, bro said:

What is up with this obsession with Erik Walden after 1 year in his entire career of production? Do you know how many sacks he had in the first 3 years for us? 12 in total. So Yea let's waste another 20 mil over 3 years for a 1 year floozy I mean he's only ganna be 32, he's only getting younger

Upon second thought, I do agree with most here that the draft would be a better option for replacing him if we have to revamp the D for our aging pass rushers and do not land one in FA.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Holes are not with the depth players, but with stars - absolutely no difference makers on defense that the opposing offense must account for and/or double-team.

Signing a proven commodity at NT is far better than signing 2-3 mediocre depth players with the same salary, ala RJF, Laron Landry, Trent Cole, Andre Johnson.

You can say that again.  We have the cap space.  Time to sign a couple of real difference makers.  Everyone over pays for them.  You pretty much have to if you want anyone who is really in their prime.  The clock is ticking on Grigson and he knows it.  I am expecting two maybe three big time acquisitions through FA or trade.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Holes at starter on nearly all front 7 positions. Williams would look bad on this D as it exists right now.

2 hours ago, I'm mad, bro said:

I agree, last season was almost certainly his peak. Anything more than 1-2 years at his current salary and he's not worth it. I'd even venture to say that Ayers would be just as good, given Walden's share of PT. Ayers is also MUCH better in coverage.

Walden is what he is; a middle of the pack starter that is usually good for 1-2 clutch plays a game (like a 3rd down stop, a hurried throw incomplete or a sack). Lots of teams have these players, and in fact every team that is good relies on these players to round out their roster. The big difference is they usually surround them with talent so that they only need to come up big a handful of plays each week. 

I think hes a decent stop gap until the young guys get their act together, as most first year pass rushers have trouble making plays for their team. I wouldnt give him 10 million a year, but hes worth what he is, a middle of the pack salary for a LB. 

Besides, we dont really have anyone else signed on the roster at OLB so it would be one more hole to fill for 2017. With any luck hes our 4th or 5th best OLB by the end of 2018 and we cut ties. 

You must have forgotten about eric berry who needs to be resigned, idk how much money KC will have free but I do know we have alot Poe is not ungettable but Williams is a good fall back option, 

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Most likely he will, but they also have to worry about Eric Berry hitting the market as well. Personally I think we should target which ever one isn't being retained by KC. 

I know Eric Berry has a great story and is an all-pro player but I think he will cost too much for the Chiefs. Poe stays and Berry goes in my opinion.

Also I don't think safety is high enough on our needs list to justify paying Berry.

46 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Holes at starter on nearly all front 7 positions. Williams would look bad on this D as it exists right now.

I respectively disagree. You are not going to improve the defense by constantly adding average players to the rotation.  I think Williams would look great on this defense and he would help and improve the players around him.  Difference makers do make a difference.  That's why they get paid.  Heaven knows we need a few.