Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has Anyone Considered Peyton May Negotiate?

mouthofsouth

That's why we'll have to release him. Condon didn't leave the Colts many options in the account that his health is still in question come following league year.

Is there still no way for Peyton and Irsay to sit down and push back the March. 8th date simply because they wont know anything come that time on his health? If they agreed to push it back a couple of weeks, would that actually allow for a trade to happen before the draft if another team wanted to take the risk?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there still no way for Peyton and Irsay to sit down and push back the March. 8th date simply because they wont know anything come that time on his health? If they agreed to push it back a couple of weeks, would that actually allow for a trade to happen before the draft if another team wanted to take the risk?

According to the CBA, there is no way to push it back

Hey, mouthofsouth! New member here.

You're right, not many folks have brought this up, but this is not beyond reason at all. Peyton has been known to publicly say that he'd take a paycut for the team. In fact, when Irsay said that he was going to make him the highest-paid player in the league, Peyton said that he'd rather some of that went to keep a solid team around him. So, I think that he and Irsay can sit down with Peyton's agent and work something out. Absolutely.

And, by the way, here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/n...al-assist-colts

Oh how often Jason La Canfora is wrong. "He hasn't sign a deal yet because he wants to be the highest paid player. I think in the range of $25 million." Didn't turn out that way did it Jason my boy? haha If I'm not mistaken Peyton made sure he didn't make more than Tom. So he can't be the highest paid player then.

Thats what I'd do. put it in manning's hands.

Release him because under the circumstances, he's not "worth" the 28M bonus.

give HIM the option to be loyal to the Colts and structure a deal that is fair to both parties.

If he leaves for more $, then , in some ways, my opinion of him will change and I'll be more able to "move on".

Irsay has no other choice, IMO.

I was told, as of 2 weeks ago, he couldn't throw the ball 30 yards.

How can you expect to count on 100% with all the uncertainty?

Release him and see how he handles it. THAT will say it all!

What other option is there.

The same people who are crying that we should pay him will be complaining when we're in cap heck and he's on the bench.

Thats what I'd do. put it in manning's hands.

Release him because under the circumstances, he's not "worth" the 28M bonus.

give HIM the option to be loyal to the Colts and structure a deal that is fair to both parties.

If he leaves for more $, then , in some ways, my opinion of him will change and I'll be more able to "move on".

Irsay has no other choice, IMO.

I was told, as of 2 weeks ago, he couldn't throw the ball 30 yards.

How can you expect to count on 100% with all the uncertainty?

Release him and see how he handles it. THAT will say it all!

What other option is there.

The same people who are crying that we should pay him will be complaining when we're in cap heck and he's on the bench.

Wow. That's a bombshell if true. Are you just now letting this info out? Do you trust your sources? I don't even play football and I can probably throw 50 yards. If that's true(and I'm taking with a grain of salt) he's got a long way to go.

Wow. That's a bombshell if true. Are you just now letting this info out? Do you trust your sources? I don't even play football and I can probably throw 50 yards. If that's true(and I'm taking with a grain of salt) he's got a long way to go.

I trust the source (its as good as it gets). But I'm not going to reveal it so I'm not surprised or disapointed if you or anyone else doesn't believe this.

I'm not going to say because I'll just get called a liar or flamer, etc. And i certainly don't want to start "trouble" between "certain" parties.

Plus, perhaps he's improved alot in the last 2 weeks. but I certainly believe it. Also, if you remember, Addai (i think) commented on manning throwind 20ish yard and short passes about the same time.

There is more i was told but I'd REALLY get blasted for stating it.

So I, like the rest of us, will wait and see what transpires.

I'm still hoping for the best.

I do, however, believe if manning gets back anywhere near 100%, it will at least be closer to next season.

but, admittedly, i have no medical background so I'm in the dark like everyone else. INCLUDING the doctors.

I also remember when a friend of mine had his arm injured in a work accident. There was nerve, muscle, etc damage. he couldn't throw a small stone 10 yeards for a long time. Doctors told him he'd never be 100% and would never be able to play golf. Well, my friend CAN play golf and really has no problems now with his arm.

So , doctors (as i have learned MANY times) don't know everything (no way near everything) and everyone's bodies are different.

So who knows. if anyone can recover, i feel manning can. i just think its gonna take a while.

if anyone remembers, i was one of the few back in training camp saying manning wouldn't play this year. this was also based on what i was told back then.

Once again, I certainly don't know for sure, i can only go by what i am told, and what I feel "in my gut". Just like the rest of us.

It's one payment paid during the 2011 league year if it is paid at all. It's split over 2011-2015 if it's paid, but it's initiated in 2011. The contract was signed in 2011.

Sorta like a business has a physical year and a calendar year that don't match up, the same can be said the NFL & their league year.

If we do go back to July 2011. The contract was signed with the stipulation that it comes with a 20 million signing bonus paid immediately and a 28 million dollar option bonus due March 8th 2012 with the league year ending 3/11/12 and the new year beginning 3/12/12.

It's due in the 2011 league year. It is applied, just like the signing bonus, across the 5 years of the contract. That is a tool that utilized with these types of bonuses. Manning received a roster bonus of 3 million in 2011. It was paid in 2011, and it was absorbed in 2011, it wasn't spread across the life of the contract. It's just how bonuses are treated.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I wish it could be renegotiated, or ignored, but I don't see how.

I appreciate you breaking it down. I don't think you're being argumentative at all. Just sticking to the facts.

So help me get this: The option bonus is paid in full if it's not opted out of by the Colts, and it's paid in full THIS YEAR, right?

If so, that's what I wasn't getting. I thought the option bonus was picked up this year, but spread across the remaining years of the contract, both cap-wise and payment-wise. If I'm understanding you correctly now, then I agree, the language of the CBA would prohibit them from renegotiating the option bonus. Should have been done sometime in December, if at all.

I trust the source (its as good as it gets). But I'm not going to reveal it so I'm not surprised or disapointed if you or anyone else doesn't believe this.

I'm not going to say because I'll just get called a liar or flamer, etc. And i certainly don't want to start "trouble" between "certain" parties.

Plus, perhaps he's improved alot in the last 2 weeks. but I certainly believe it. Also, if you remember, Addai (i think) commented on manning throwind 20ish yard and short passes about the same time.

There is more i was told but I'd REALLY get blasted for stating it.

So I, like the rest of us, will wait and see what transpires.

I'm still hoping for the best.

I do, however, believe if manning gets back anywhere near 100%, it will at least be closer to next season.

but, admittedly, i have no medical background so I'm in the dark like everyone else. INCLUDING the doctors.

I said that just today. If Manning recovers completely I still think it will be a long time down the road and the Colts can't wait a year or two. I started that other thread about Hoge saying it could take two years. Even if Irsay is leaning towards releasing Manning(and I think he is) I'm not so sure he would nonchalantly tell somebody on a golf coarse or something. Not saying you're not right but seems like he would keep important info close to the vest.

I said that just today. If Manning recovers completely I still think it will be a long time down the road and the Colts can't wait a year or two. I started that other thread about Hoge saying it could take two years. Even if Irsay is leaning towards releasing Manning(and I think he is) I'm not so sure he would nonchalantly tell somebody on a golf coarse or something. Not saying you're not right but seems like he would keep important info close to the vest.

I know and i agree with you.

But I stand by what i said.

Ps, it wasn't on the golf course.

Not to start a whole thing, but if you don't play football, you probably can't throw it 50 yards. Maybe if you play baseball or something, but 50 yards is a long way to throw a football. And there's a lot more involved in throwing a football than just arm strength.

Not to start a whole thing, but if you don't play football, you probably can't throw it 50 yards. Maybe if you play baseball or something, but 50 yards is a long way to throw a football. And there's a lot more involved in throwing a football than just arm strength.

Maybe a nerf football with the "wing" on the back.

haha

Dude....I can throw 50 yards. At least I could a couple years ago. I was a pitcher all the time growing up so that probably helps. I'm a drummer for a long time now so I don't get to test my arm too often. LOL

Dude....I can throw 50 yards. At least I could a couple years ago. I was a pitcher all the time growing up so that probably helps.

Okay. A lot of people say "I could do that, it's not that hard," but 50 yards is notable if you don't play. Especially with a regulation size ball.

That said, I can throw a football 50 yards. ;)

Okay. A lot of people say "I could do that, it's not that hard," but 50 yards is notable if you don't play. Especially with a regulation size ball.

You're Superman!

You can also leap tall buildings in a single bound!

not to mention run faster than a speeding train.

Well I played a lot of catch back then. I would probably throw my arm out now until I got used to it again. One time we were measuring for distance and I was throwing as hard as I could for probably 25 or 30 throws and it felt like my arm was going to fall off afterwards:)

2 key points in the CBA prevent that from happening in my opinion

o From 2011-2020 CBA Article 13, Section 8, point a.iii “No contract renegotiations may be done for a current season after the last regular season game of that season”

o From 2011-2020 CBA Article 13, Section 8, point e “An amendment to a Player Contract that changes the terms under which signing bonus is paid is a renegotiation.”

The Option Bonus is due towards the end of the 2011 league year, that is why a portion of it(28/5) is carried in our 2011 salary cap. Since the current regular season is over, I feel that his contract cannot be renegotiated. Point two speaks for itself.

If the colts and manning move the date to the new league year peyton CAN restructure his contract, but they will not push it back so no restructure will be happening

I appreciate you breaking it down. I don't think you're being argumentative at all. Just sticking to the facts.

So help me get this: The option bonus is paid in full if it's not opted out of by the Colts, and it's paid in full THIS YEAR, right?

If so, that's what I wasn't getting. I thought the option bonus was picked up this year, but spread across the remaining years of the contract, both cap-wise and payment-wise. If I'm understanding you correctly now, then I agree, the language of the CBA would prohibit them from renegotiating the option bonus. Should have been done sometime in December, if at all.

If it is paid in full, it will be paid in full in the 2011 league year. It will physically be written and cashed in the calendar year of 2012, but in NFL terms before the 2011 league year ends.

I'm not sure if December would have helped, because I'm also under the thought process that a player is allowed one new contract or one renegotiation per league year. Manning's contract was a new contract since his old one expired and he was being retained as a franchise player until the new contract was drawn up.

If the colts and manning move the date to the new league year peyton CAN restructure his contract, but they will not push it back so no restructure will be happening

They can't push it back more than they won't push it back.

He can restructure portions of it once the new league year starts, but the option bonus has to be paid for him to be under contract during the 2012 league year.

Even then he can't restructure it in a way to avoid the cap penalties that the signing bonus/option bonus will cause if he were released/traded/cut.

He can restructure portions of it once the new league year starts, but the option bonus has to be paid for him to be under contract during the 2012 league year.

Even then he can't restructure it in a way to avoid the cap penalties that the signing bonus/option bonus will cause if he were released/traded/cut.

Can he be released (meaning we avoid the 28M)

And then sign a new contract with the Colts as a free agent?

(assuming the current cap hits still count, but not the 28M?)

Can he be released (meaning we avoid the 28M)

And then sign a new contract with the Colts as a free agent?

(assuming the current cap hits still count, but not the 28M?)

In my opinion he could be released which would void the option bonus. His cap# would then have an acceleration of the original 16 million remaining from his option bonus. That coupled with the 5.6 we carried from the yet to be paid option bonus in the 2011 season would cause a dead space cap hit of 10.4 million dollars.

Any future contract would be just that a future contract.

Hypothetically, if he signed a year deal with a 15 million signing bonus, and 1 million base salary in 2012, and call it 10 million in 2013, and 2014, his cap #'s would look like this.

2012: 10.4(accelerated dead space) 5.00 from prorated signing bonus and 1 million base salary total 16.4 million

2013: 15.0 (5.00 signing bonus +10.00 base salary)

2014: 15.0 (5.00 signing bonus +10.00 base salary)

From a pure cap perspective we would be better off if something like this happened, but both sides would have to consider it and accept it.

Well the whole point is if peyton and irsay really want to push the date back and restructure peytons deal it can be done... the NFL Labor committee has said that they wont view pushing the date back as a negotiation so after they push it back into the new league year they can restructure his deal... im not gonna get into all the details of how the money is gonna be spread out or whatever but it can be done.

Well the whole point is if peyton and irsay really want to push the date back and restructure peytons deal it can be done... the NFL Labor committee has said that they wont view pushing the date back as a negotiation so after they push it back into the new league year they can restructure his deal... im not gonna get into all the details of how the money is gonna be spread out or whatever but it can be done.

Link ?

I've seen nothing of the sorts, just the opposite that the NFLPA would argue against it to happen.

The CBA has it's limitations of what can and can't happen. For example if you owned the Detorit Lions and for whatever reason you hated Calvin Johnson, but just adored the long flowing locks of Curtis Painter and you wanted to make a trade. (Foolish thought yes, but I'm making it that extreme to prove a point).

You and Grigson, or you and Irsay could not make that trade right now no matter bad either of the two sides wanted to. The trading period is over. The CBA regulates what can happen and when it could happen.

I view the Manning due date as a similar yet different event that the cba regulates when and what can happen.

Quick question. If Manning is released, the 10.4 I know will be accounted for this year, but there is no more dead money after this upcoming season right? Just 10.4 this year?

Link ?

I've seen nothing of the sorts, just the opposite that the NFLPA would argue against it to happen.

The CBA has it's limitations of what can and can't happen. For example if you owned the Detorit Lions and for whatever reason you hated Calvin Johnson, but just adored the long flowing locks of Curtis Painter and you wanted to make a trade. (Foolish thought yes, but I'm making it that extreme to prove a point).

You and Grigson, or you and Irsay could not make that trade right now no matter bad either of the two sides wanted to. The trading period is over. The CBA regulates what can happen and when it could happen.

I view the Manning due date as a similar yet different event that the cba regulates when and what can happen.

I think that would be a viable option (Peyton re-negotiating). If he really wants to stay here, I would think he would be willing to negotiate. 28 Mil is a lot of money, but he certainly doesn't need it. Why not let this deal run out, then re-sign him for a couple of years at some minimal amount (assuming he would agree). No doubt he would have other offers, but if he wants to stay here it something that could be done I would think.

I think that would be a viable option (Peyton re-negotiating). If he really wants to stay here, I would think he would be willing to negotiate. 28 Mil is a lot of money, but he certainly doesn't need it. Why not let this deal run out, then re-sign him for a couple of years at some minimal amount (assuming he would agree). No doubt he would have other offers, but if he wants to stay here it something that could be done I would think.

I think you need to think of it in terms of what he has now in the current contract, and then compare that to what he might accept as a new contract.

Current contract going forward payments in terms of real dollars:

2012: $28 option bonus + $7.4 salary = $35.4

2013: $ 8.4 salary

2014: $9.4 salary

2015: $10.4 salary

Total going forward = $ 63.6MM for 4 years.

Now the problem becomes, what can you entice Peyton to accept?

I think you need to think of it in terms of what he has now in the current contract, and then compare that to what he might accept as a new contract.

Current contract going forward payments in terms of real dollars:

2012: $28 option bonus + $7.4 salary = $35.4

2013: $ 8.4 salary

2014: $9.4 salary

2015: $10.4 salary

Total going forward = $ 63.6MM for 4 years.

Now the problem becomes, what can you entice Peyton to accept?

His legacy?

Hmmm :scratch: $63.6MM or legacy.... which should I choose?

Its hard for us to have his perspective.

We're not multi-multi-millionaires.

When people reach that level of wealth they start to think of their legacy.

its why the ultra-wealthy donate mega-millions to get their names on hospitals, colleges, libraries, etc.

I'm sure peyton cares how he is remembered.

I'm not sure if it will help, but I'm not sure what else would trump the $ difference.

In my opinion he could be released which would void the option bonus. His cap# would then have an acceleration of the original 16 million remaining from his option bonus. That coupled with the 5.6 we carried from the yet to be paid option bonus in the 2011 season would cause a dead space cap hit of 10.4 million dollars.

Hypothetically, if he signed a year deal with a 15 million signing bonus, and 1 million base salary in 2012, and call it 10 million in 2013, and 2014, his cap #'s would look like this.

2012: 10.4(accelerated dead space) 5.00 from prorated signing bonus and 1 million base salary total 16.4 million

From a pure cap perspective we would be better off if something like this happened, but both sides would have to consider it and accept it.

i'm not saying you're wrong, i just have a question...Andrew Brandt seems pretty well respected when it comes to salary cap issues...and he keeps saying that Peyton's dead cap hit next year would be roughly $16million... I dunno if that's true or not, but heck, if we KEEP him its only roughly $17million for next year...if Brandt is right, you would think it would be pretty easy to work out a new deal if we would only save $1million next year by not having him here

i'm not saying you're wrong, i just have a question...Andrew Brandt seems pretty well respected when it comes to salary cap issues...and he keeps saying that Peyton's dead cap hit next year would be roughly $16million... I dunno if that's true or not, but heck, if we KEEP him its only roughly $17million for next year...if Brandt is right, you would think it would be pretty easy to work out a new deal if we would only save $1million next year by not having him here

Yes he is.

16 million is the starting point because that is what is left over from his original signing bonus. 20/5 = 4million per year, and 2011 took care of 4million of that and 16 remains.

The man is hammered with questions via twitter, email, etc. and in a quick glance i see why his response has been 16. When you dig deeper, the actual number changes to 10.4 since we are carrying a 5.6 credit of the option bonus in 2011, since it will be paid in 2011 if it's paid at all. If it's paid, then it's used as it was intended. If it isn't paid it reverts back to a credit.

Peter King addressed it but I wish he would have bored us \wit the details.

4. It's complicated, and I won't bore you, but the Colts would save $6.6 million on the cap next year by jettisoning Manning before the option bonus is due. Cap number in 2012 if they keep Manning is $17 million. Cap number if they sever ties before the league year begins: $10.4 million.

It's just not really simple to "work out a new deal"

Link ?

Read that wrong it was the NFL Management Council

"

The NFL Management Council would interpret the language to allow the date to be moved, suggesting a moved date is not a "renegotiation." The NFL Players Association's lawyers have a different interpretation of that language, and could contest a moved date as a renegotiation in a grievance against the NFL and the Colts. However, that discussion may be moot due to the following..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-brandt/the-peyton-predicament-pa_b_1233840.html

Doesn't sound very likely, especially since as soon as he becomes a free agent teams will probably throw some big deals at him. If he is truely loyal he might take a renegotiation after March 12. However I think if Manning does play he knows this could possibly be his last season, then again he could have another 3-4 years if he stays healthy. So he will probably try to get as much money as possible before he goes out the door. I am not going to be completely bitter if he does, it's a business and that is what it is about. But all of these people trying to paint Manning as some sort of victim might want to think how much of a victim he is when he makes $20 million plus a year. Especially when that team is taking a big risk that he might not even be able to play the whole season.

Read that wrong it was the NFL Management Council

"

The NFL Management Council would interpret the language to allow the date to be moved, suggesting a moved date is not a "renegotiation." The NFL Players Association's lawyers have a different interpretation of that language, and could contest a moved date as a renegotiation in a grievance against the NFL and the Colts. However, that discussion may be moot due to the following..."

http://www.huffingto..._b_1233840.html

Thanks, that is what I saw before, that the two sides would have a disagreement on the interpretation of the language.

Doesn't sound very likely, especially since as soon as he becomes a free agent teams will probably throw some big deals at him. If he is truely loyal he might take a renegotiation after March 12. However I think if Manning does play he knows this could possibly be his last season, then again he could have another 3-4 years if he stays healthy. So he will probably try to get as much money as possible before he goes out the door. I am not going to be completely bitter if he does, it's a business and that is what it is about. But all of these people trying to paint Manning as some sort of victim might want to think how much of a victim he is when he makes $20 million plus a year. Especially when that team is taking a big risk that he might not even be able to play the whole season.

In theory I would agree with you, but I would also add in the condition that he could put on a private workout for interested NFL teams to show where he is, and what he can do.

If he's released say Tuesday after the Super Bowl, I'm not so sure that a team is going to be at his door at midnight when free agency opens throwing a chunk of money at him right off the bat.

If he were healthy, his wife would be handing out number tags or beepers like Applebees letting them know when they could be seen. Unless he has a workout for interested NFL teams, I don't see them knocking his door down to getting him under contract until he can prove there are no issues.

Irsay has been saying that they can push back the date if they want. It was on the ESPN bottom line this morning, and in an Indy Star column yesterday:

"While the deadline looms, Irsay indicated it could be pushed back if needed."

http://www.indystar....Peyton-decision

I started a thread about this last week when PFT released a story saying that the date can be moved after Florio talked to Kravitz and he said that it can't be moved. The sticking point is that NFL says yes it can, NFLPA says it can't. I read the CBA and think that it is ambiguous so I see how both sides are disagreeing (this is also a political move by both sides). That said, if PM and Irsay want to move the date, I believe it would be allowed. I will say Irsay has been hinting at this by dropping little comments like in yesterday's interview where he said something along the lines that we will keep talking up to early March and perhaps beyond. May be reading to much into it, but sounds like to me if PM is down to move it, Irsay would welcome it. That is a big if though....

Edited to include quote and link.