Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out CFL pass rusher

Steamboat_Shaun

I'm kinda skeptical about any CFL signings after we signed the best linemen in their league and he never played a down for us, and we signed one of their standout WRs and he just filled a roster spot.

Yeah, but we also signed an LB who was a solid contributor for several years.  You never know with CFL guys. Just because they whale in the CFL doesn't mean they'll make it to stardom here.  You look for certain traits and hope for the best.  Really, the best way to look at these guys is as a UDFA with professional experience.  Chances are they fall off, there's a small chance they stick around as special teams and maybe even sub package guys, and in the rarest cases, they turn into all-pros.   

Freeman seems to be the ultra rare exception to the rule for sure.

I just hope they aren't pinning a lot of hope on this guy and neglect the need in free agency/the draft.

If he works out, great. But I don't want to be screwed because he doesn't.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I just hope they aren't pinning a lot of hope on this guy and neglect the need in free agency/the draft.

Of course he doesn't change their plan in FA/draft one tiny bit. 

Grigson likes to find diamonds on the cheap, but it doesn't mean they have high hopes that he will make the final roster. BTW, Grigson once said that we can never have too many pass rushers, so there's that too.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Why/how would the Colts possibly be "screwed" by this minuscule signing? This is a depth signing, they're going to let him have a chance in training camp to see what he can do, nothing more. Zero chance this has any effect on the overall strategy in free agency or the draft.

Why/how would the Colts possibly be "screwed" by this minuscule signing? This is a depth signing, they're going to let him have a chance in training camp to see what he can do, nothing more. Zero chance this has any effect on the overall strategy in free agency or the draft.

I know this reading thing is hard but stick with me here.

No, seriously though, I explained fully in the original post the answer to your question.

From now on do refrain from wasting my time because you read only one sentence of a post.

Much obliged.

Gosh guys you have 90 guys you can bring into camp.  Not all of them are going to be first round picks or stars.  Gotta have to bring in guys specifically on a try-out basis.  

This guy plays in camp and plays in the pre-season and if he does well maybe he sticks around.  If he doesn't do anything we let him go and he goes back to the CFL.

Not every player signed is someone that Grigson thinks is gonna be a star.  

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Gosh guys you have 90 guys you can bring into camp.  Not all of them are going to be first round picks or stars.  Gotta have to bring in guys specifically on a try-out basis.  

This guy plays in camp and plays in the pre-season and if he does well maybe he sticks around.  If he doesn't do anything we let him go and he goes back to the CFL.

Not every player signed is someone that Grigson thinks is gonna be a star.  

It really is that simple. Between this forum & Twitter, you'd think that this guy was brought in to be a day 1 starter.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Then why would you say:

?

Then why would you say:

?

Something went wrong with the multi quoting. The mobile app is pretty archaic.

I said I hope they don't pin their hopes on him and neglect the need in FA/the draft thereby screwing us.

Then steamboat Shaun comes along all "well how would that screw us?" as if I hadn't already explained it.

22 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So,  college kids shouldn't be drafted?  They have never played against or on an nfl defense.    Adongo was a rugby player they tried to coach up.  It didn't work,  who cares.  Swoope is working out pretty well,  as did Freeman

We were talking about free agents.  

You're right.  

This kid from the CFL will be the next Von Miller. 

14 hours ago, John Waylon said:

If we were putting a lot of hope in this signing, we have much larger issues. That said, im willing to bet this is a Daniel Adongo type signing. You hope he can contribute, but he is almost an inconsequrntial casualty if he doesnt.

If we were putting a lot of hope in this signing, we have much larger issues. That said, im willing to bet this is a Daniel Adongo type signing. You hope he can contribute, but he is almost an inconsequrntial casualty if he doesnt.

Would anything done by pagano and grigson be a surprise at this point? They have lost any and all privilege for the benefit of the doubt.

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Would anything done by pagano and grigson be a surprise at this point? They have lost any and all privilege for the benefit of the doubt.

No, but if they made this move with long term plans for this guy, that would be surprising even for Grigson at this particular time.  TBH, there's nothing to worry about until it's obvious to worry - at least with this move.

20 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,  Because I said anything close to that.     

lol.  Lighten up, Francis.  All in good fun.   (Don't tell me you haven't seen Stripes).

I don't think we're that far off from each other.  

While there is a need for camp-bodies, my point was that (when they are available) I'd like to see us get more involved in FA for starters as opposed to what we did this past season...very little.  

CFL players are smaller because of the field size. A lot of Big NFL players would not make the CFL. The difference between CFL and NFL players is a lot closer then the salaries. More players are getting shots at the NFL more and more every yr. The saints and Seahawks have done well with CFL players . Players like Delvin breaux, Brandon browner, Eric Harris and others and are looking at more.. Smart teams always keep a eye on the CFL. The CFL is growing and getting better each yr, where the NFL seems to get more coverage because of the thugs, rapists, wife beaters and drunk drivers that make the headlines.