Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Interview

Hoosier

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a dope for having a Colts Luck jersey?? But why? Luck is going to be on the Colts roster whether Peyton is playing here or not. That won't be the only Luck jersey you see so might as well get over it!

It has become apparent the :sarcasm: icon didnt post. Get over yourself. :Cry:

According to some "colts higher ups", they will no longer sell beer at the games, only appletini's! Also the cheerleaders will be gone and replaced with the cast of riverdance!

My point is, "anyone" can say they talked to so called "higher ups" or "someone close to the situation", that don't make it true! Until is comes straight from PM or Irsay, who cares what any other chucklehead has to say? Including me!

And with that Peyton's contract gets smaller. So it works out good.

We'll see.

Right now it's either 0 or 28M on 3/8/12. Add up the nos. and outlay for QB if Manning stays + Luck would be approximately...... 16M AL bonus and 5M against the 2012 cap.

To recap on Manning:

Cut or Trade Peyton before March 8th: 16mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after March 8th: 44mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2012: 33mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2013: 22mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2014: 11mil of dead cap

After 2015: Peyton's contract expires

No, Peyton's current contract actually gets bigger from a cap perspective.

2011: cap hit $16MM

2012: cap hit $17MM

2013: cap hit $18MM

2014: cap hit $19MM

2015: cap hit $20MM

assuming he plays out the contract.

I thought he gets paid 69 million in the first three years? Meaning the final two are worth 21 million combined. How does he count as a cap hit of 39 million?

So I'm not even sure who is fighting with who over what anymore in this thread.

I don't like your attitude..

I'm fighting the notion that anything is absolute yet.

A. Andrew Luck isn't a bust or a future HOFer

B. Peytons situation is strictly business.

C. Irsay is moving the franchise ahead as most of us wanted.

E. I can't stand muffins.

To recap on Manning:

Cut or Trade Peyton before March 8th: 16mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after March 8th: 44mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2012: 33mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2013: 22mil of dead cap

Cut or Trade Peyton after 2014: 11mil of dead cap

After 2015: Peyton's contract expires

Cut (unlikely to be traded) before March 8, 2012, and the cap hit will be $10.4

If you pay Peyton the $28 bonus in March, and he retires or is cut before June 1, 2012, cap hit will be $38.4 in 2012

If you pay Peyton the $28 bonus in March, and he retires or is cut before June 1, 2013, cap hit will be $28.8 in 2013

If you pay Peyton the $28 bonus in March, and he retires or is cut before June 1, 2014, cap hit will be $19.2 in 2014

If you pay Peyton the $28 bonus in March, and he retires or is cut before June 1, 2015, cap hit will be $9.6 in 2015

I thought he gets paid 69 million in the first three years? Meaning the final two are worth 21 million combined. How does he count as a cap hit of 39 million?

Do not be confused between real dollars and cap space.

Peyton real dollar payments according to the current contract are:

2011 Signing bonus $20, roster bonus $3, salary $3.4 = $26.4

2012 Option bonus $28, salary $7.4 = $35.4

2013 salary $8.4

2014 salary $9.4

2015 salary $10.4

Total = $90

Peyton cap space hits according to the current contract are:

2011 pro-rated signing bonus (20/5) 4, pro-rated option bonus (28/5) 5.6, roster bonus $3, salary $3.4 = $16

2012 pro-rated signing bonus (20/5) 4, pro-rated option bonus (28/5) 5.6, salary $7.4 = $17

2013 pro-rated signing bonus (20/5) 4, pro-rated option bonus (28/5) 5.6, salary $8.4 = $18

2014 pro-rated signing bonus (20/5) 4, pro-rated option bonus (28/5) 5.6, salary $9.4 = $19

2015 pro-rated signing bonus (20/5) 4, pro-rated option bonus (28/5) 5.6, salary $10.4 = $20

Total = $90

So you see, in terms of real dollars, yes, Peyton gets $70.2 for the first 3 years.

But if he retires or is cut before June 1, 2012, after paying the $28 bonus in March, all the pro-rated portions of the bonuses accelerate into the year where he is cut or retires resulting in a $38.4 cap hit in 2012. If he is cut or retires after June 1, 2012, but before the 2012 season, the $38.4 cap hit is split bewteen 2012 and 2013.

2012 cut/retire:

accelerated portions of signing bonus not already amortized (4x4) = 16

accelerated portions of option bonus not already amortized (4x5.6) = 22.4

Total = 38.4

For some reason I feel better about Peyton's ability to atleast play again. Just doesnt sound like a guy who's ready to hang it up but maybe im reading too much into it.

Still not sure if the future is with this team though but we'll see. Unless he's 100% I still think its going to be too big of a gamble for the Colts to keep him. Im holding onto the hope though he'll be on the team in 2012.

Funny how ESPN acts like he was there to tell them his side of the story. He was there for...GATORADE. He even point blank said why he was there, you can tell he didn't even really want to talk to ESPN.

You know, of course he rehabbing, what's he going to do? Quit rehabbing?

@Frog - a few million bucks either way each year in sequence doesn't matter very much one way or the other. Focusing on the steak, not the peas, bottom line is gambling on a questionable Manning for tens of millions if he can't produce could cripple the franchise. I don't think Irsay is going to do that.

I agree. I provided the accurate numbers to support that notion to prevent others who disagree from claiming the numbers are wrong.

Peyton is coming back and WILL be the Colts starting QB for the 2012-13 season. Sorry Luck fans but Andrew will not be taking snaps for Indy in 2012 and likely never will be. Much more risk on a hotshot QB who could bomb then a been there done that multiple time MVP who has never missed a game in his career before this season (No knee problems, no ankle issues,nothing) . Throw in the fact trading the #1 pick will net you more then trading Manning and it is really a no brainer you utilize your assetts and improve the club ten fold.

Peyton is coming back and WILL be the Colts starting QB for the 2012-13 season. Sorry Luck fans but Andrew will not be taking snaps for Indy in 2012 and likely never will be. Much more risk on a hotshot QB who could bomb then a been there done that multiple time MVP who has never missed a game in his career before this season (No knee problems, no ankle issues,nothing) . Throw in the fact trading the #1 pick will net you more then trading Manning and it is really a no brainer you utilize your assetts and improve the club ten fold.

Most of us aren't "Luck fans", as you framed it. It's a look at reality. I'd agree with trading the #1 overall for multiple picks if the team wasn't in the market for a QB but the fact is we are. Irsay is taking a QB in this draft, end of story. And since that's the case the no-brainer decision is Andrew Luck. Whether or not Manning is part of this team in 2012 is another question with two parts (1) health; (2) money....and they're tied together regardless of what's in the media. Look at the figures above in this thread and there's no way to make a convincing argument for keeping Manning if odds are he can't produce...if it goes that way.

Fact is we're fortunate to have Andrew Luck as the clear #1 option come April given the Indy QB situation. I can think of worse places to be than moving from future HOFer to a draftee QB with much potential.....if it goes down.

I think he may play next year. Not sure where though. I think he may be too much a competitor to hang it up. I do think Irsay has been hoping Peyton would retire though to make this easier.

Maybe Irsay wanted him to retire not to make it easier but to take some of the heat off him if Peyton can play and he cuts him. haha That would be a real delima if he cuts him and Peyton signs with another team and does well. Kind of like mud in your face so to speak. I guess time will tell what Irsay decides to do. Hope he doesn't start tweeting about something that is important to all the fans and just hold a presser after they have their discussion and get things worked out.

Irsay has said we r taking a pick at #1 so luck/rg3 will be on this team. I can't wait to end all this controversy.

Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/n...timing-decision

Here are the interview excerpts:

Peyton Manning, speaking at length for the first time since the 2011 season ended, told ESPN on Tuesday that he plans to return to football, but he and Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay have not discussed his future.

Manning, in an interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, said that he and Irsay will discuss whether the Super Bowl-winning quarterback will remain with the Colts "at the appropriate time, and when we do, I think some decisions will be made after that. But until then I'm just continuing to rehab, work hard, and to enjoy this week because it really is a special week for the city and certainly for my family."

Manning said that his recovery from spinal fusion surgery in September -- his third surgery in 19 months is going well despite the fact he didn't play last season. "I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out."

Manning said that he'll continue to have checkups over the next several weeks, and termed his mood as "encouraging."

The Colts face a March 8 deadline for a decision on Manning. They owe him a $28 million option bonus on that date. If they don't pay it, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Asked to predict what decision will be made, Manning deferred. "I cannot predict that," he said. "I think it's well documented how I feel about this city, the fans, the Colts, Jim Irsay. It's well documented. Tough decisions have to be made. They'll be made at the appropriate time. This is just not the week to do it. It's not the week. I know people can talk about it, that's fair, that's part of the game. It doesn't mean that I have to add to that conversation, and I just don't plan to." How many more years will he play? Hard to say," Manning said. "Hard to say. "(There's) no set timetable. I really don't. I've played a long time. I'm grateful for the time that I've played so far, and I have nothing to complain about. How much longer, we'll see."

Manning said he will wait for the Super Bowl to be over before talking to Irsay. He added that he doesn't think the decision on his future with the Colts will come down to the last minute. "I think the sooner the better, I really do," he said. "Jim and I talk constantly, we really do. We're in constant communication, and after this week is over, we'll do it, and we'll make a good plan from there. Either way, it's going to be good. I'm at peace, and it'll be a positive thing, I can assure you."

The Colts finished 2-14 last season and have the No.1 pick in the NFL draft. Since the end of the season, Irsay has fired Colts vice chairman Bill Polian, general manager Chris Polian, coach Jim Caldwell and most of Caldwell's assistants.

On Monday, Irsay tried to deflect attention away from a public spat he was having with Manning and put the focus squarely back on the Super Bowl matching the New York Giants against the New England Patriots. "I'm not talking about Peyton this week," Irsay said as more than a dozen reporters followed him through the media center's hallways. "When Peyton and I talked (last week), we both thought the focus should be on the Super Bowl. We want to focus on the Super Bowl." Manning termed his relationship with Irsay as "great." "It's always been great," Manning said. "And it will continue to be great, I assure you of that."

Thank you, sir!

For the 9 millionth time

- Irsay is almost certainly taking a QB with the #1 pick with Manning healthy or not

- Manning will not be traded (It would be cap suicide)

- Even Polian said they weren't looking at trading the #1 pick

- Mannings pre-surgery performance has no bearing on how he will play post-surgery, its up in the air

"I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out."

Unfortunately we don't know what the doctors told Peyton that he considered "on point".

I don't doubt Peyton is continuing to try to get better. I don't doubt that it is Peyton's plan from here on out to try to get better.

What I want to know is......is he getting better?

HE said he Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After the Superbowl every fan will get their answer... one thing I know for sure is that if peyton stays a colt all you luck fans can say bye bye cause they will draft griffin, cause luck will not wanna sit down for over a year neither will irsay pay so much for two QBs on his roster.

you cant seriously believe that if Peyton stays, we will waste the #1 pick on RGIII, can you? If Peyton stays, we will either still draft Luck #1 or we will trade the pick...#1 is WAY too high to take RGIII, especially when you know you can get multiple picks for the #1.

We could put ourselves in position to have TWO first and TWO second round picks this year and TWO firsts next year...with that, if Peyton is 100% and our starter for the next 3 or 4 years, we could use all of the picks THIS year to build up the team, and trade our 2 firsts and whatever NEXT year and draft Barkley or whoever the top QB on our board is at that time.

I'm of the opinion that we either draft Luck #1 this year or we trade the pick and take a QB next year, in a draft that should have several good QBs in it.

Such an optimisic interview and then right after it the ESPN guys were saying he would be released lol complete opposite of the spectrum over there

I honestly wouldnt be surprised at all...as a matter of fact i almost expect us to NOT pay the $28million option in march...but i also expect Irsay and Peyton to work out a NEW contract when they dont pick up that option, that is more team friendly from this point going forward.

I'm of the opinion that we either draft Luck #1 this year or we trade the pick and take a QB next year, in a draft that should have several good QBs in it.

My projection is that Barkley and Jones will be the 2 top QBs in the 2013 draft. Neither of which will be rated as the best QB prospect since Elway or Manning.

First of all, Irsay IMO is going to draft Luck. I might be alone here, but I feel you have to choose. You take Luck or roll the dice with Peyton.

I just don't love the idea of two starting QBs on the roster.

I know I know. Favre and Rodgers. I spend time talking to Packers fans and many hated it. Did it work out? Yes. They have a yearly MVP caliber QB on their roster now following having a former one. But, the drama and the lost early years of Aaron still bug some. And the fact that no established QB wants to play mentor is also a factor.

Also with Favre, many told me he was irritated that they spent the first pick on a QB who sat on the bench instead of someone to help them win now.

And also if you bring back Peyton/he stays healthy (big if) you are talking about spending the first pick in the entire draft on a guy who won't help right away.

Some good points Jules, but some I disagree with. 1 Peyton may not want to mentor someone, espspiealy before this year, but I think he knows there is a need there now. I think if there is ANY question to Peytons health we take Luck. If not & we don't take Luck we trade the pick & draft someone else the tackle kid from USC, Blackman the WR or Richardson the RB & acquire more picks 2 Farve didn't like the pick of Rodgers becuase he felt it was about him! I hope Peyton's healthy plays 3 years & Luck takes over.

Why don't you think making progress is the same as getting better?

Because he said he was "making progress" next to the sentence where he said he is "feeling good."

He did not make the "making progress" comment next to the 'trying to get better' comment.

He never said he was getting better...he only said he was trying to get better.

In context, see for yourself:

"I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out."

In any case, this is moot. How much he has achieved towards getting better doesn't mean much until he is good enough to play. And that determination will be made by the Colts docs and coaching staff.

Sorry, I tend to read and think critically.

I interpret "so far I have" to mean...so far I have tried to get better.

I am very familiar with how "politicians" use words and sentence structure.

instead of READING critically, why dont you watch the actual interview so you can SEE and HEAR Peyton say these things...a lot can be lost or misconstrued over text/print...thats exactly how Kravitz managed to spin his "news" in such a negative way. Fact is, Irsay was smiling and laughing when he used the "politician" line, also...but through text and reading what Bob had to say, its easy to think it was in anger or negative

instead of READING critically, why dont you watch the actual interview so you can SEE and HEAR Peyton say these things...a lot can be lost or misconstrued over text/print...thats exactly how Kravitz managed to spin his "news" in such a negative way. Fact is, Irsay was smiling and laughing when he used the "politician" line, also...but through text and reading what Bob had to say, its easy to think it was in anger or negative

I did watch the video. It was quoted correctly.

Although it was delivered somewhat smoothly, I could tell it was pre-rehearsed. It was successful in delivering a lot of words that don't necessarily convey much hard meaning.

My projection is that Barkley and Jones will be the 2 top QBs in the 2013 draft. Neither of which will be rated as the best QB prospect since Elway or Manning.

yeah i agree that they wont be rated as that...and i'm on record several times saying that i think we should take Luck...but with that said, how many other QBs who werent rated that high have gone on to have great careers and won super bowls?

yeah i agree that they wont be rated as that...and i'm on record several times saying that i think we should take Luck...but with that said, how many other QBs who werent rated that high have gone on to have great careers and won super bowls?

It's all a crap shoot when it comes to QB's but what stands out to me with Luck is everybody's comments on his work ethic. If he has even half the work ethic that Peyton does(and I think he does) he's going to be a great one.