Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis

RockThatBlue

37 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

They said the same about James Harrison 3 years ago...I'd keep him 1 more year for situational plays and leadership..I don't think he was healthy all year..He is worth it on a 1 year team friendly contract..

Yes but James Harrison was still pretty effective. Mathis brings almost nothing right now, pains me to say that too. 

Robert Mathis is one of my favorites but I agree with those who say it's time to move on.

If the Colts had a couple young guys on the rise at his position then maybe but that isn't the case. Based on where Robert is and where this team is I think it's time to move on. I hate to say that. 

There are a number of 30+ guys I want to bring back:   Walden,  Gore,  Langford and Adams....

But it's hard to see bringing back Mathis.     He doesn't appear to have anything left in the tank.

I'm happy to keep him in house as an assistant coach,  he's an important guy,  but that's about it....

should have been gone after testing positive for ped's like i said when it happened! he cheated, had his best year, and made a lot of money. he won, colts lost! the colts could have saved money and put more emphasis on finding another pass rusher instead of thinking he could still do it.

11 hours ago, Flash7 said:

If Mathis played for the Patriots, they would've already moved on. He wouldn't have made the roster this year.

The Colts are so deprived of pass rush, they kept him just hoping he had some juice left. Unfortunately, no juice.

the pats would have let him go after testing positive for ped's!

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Maybe as a situational player or mentor for our 1st round RUSH linebacker. But it's about it for him I believe.

Exactly. .He was hurt all year as well but is a warrior. .He is worth it if cost effective if for only teaching and leadership alone..I have a feeling he is working out right now reading the doubters quotes..He is one of those guys..For a 1 yr 2-3 million ill take my chances..I wouldn't count the old man out just yet..

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Maybe as a situational player or mentor for our 1st round RUSH linebacker. But it's about it for him I believe.

Exactly. .He was hurt all year as well but is a warrior. .He is worth it if cost effective if for only teaching and leadership alone..I have a feeling he is working out right now reading the doubters quotes..He is one of those guys..For a 1 yr 2-3 million ill take my chances..I wouldn't count the old man out just yet..

Yeah I think his time has come.

And look there is absolutely no shame in it, just age catches up with everybody, nobody can expect to operate at an elite level for ever. But I can tell you one thing, Rob Mathis was at an elite level in his prime. He is hugely respected across the league.

19 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Its being overshadowed by the coach and GM talk, but this is most likely it for Mathis. 

Even if he doesn't retire, would you want the Colts to bring him back?

Personally I say no, he just doesn't have it anymore. 

Lol,  

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are a number of 30+ guys I want to bring back:   Walden,  Gore,  Langford and Adams....

But it's hard to see bringing back Mathis.     He doesn't appear to have anything left in the tank.

I'm happy to keep him in house as an assistant coach,  he's an important guy,  but that's about it....

Well put NCF. I agree.