Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thanksgiving Halftime Show

GusBus24

I am traveling from Denver to Indy on Thanksgiving to watch the Colts Vs Steelers and was wondering if there is a halftime performance scheduled? I know the early games usually have pretty big stars singing just wasn't sure of the night game. Thanks and GO COLTS!

19 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

I am traveling from Denver to Indy on Thanksgiving to watch the Colts Vs Steelers and was wondering if there is a halftime performance scheduled? I know the early games usually have pretty big stars singing just wasn't sure of the night game. Thanks and GO COLTS!

You should be loading up on beer and taking a * at halftime   Maybe grab some nachos

I still don't understand why good old Johny Mellencamp didn't get the nod for the half time show back when Indy hosted the SB... Seemed like the logical choice being Indiana's best example of a home-grown classic rock and roll artist...

Some of his staple hits still ring true or could be seen as having relevance within the context of the country's current cultural climate, so he'd still be a refreshing voice especially on Thanksgiving, so somebody get on the horn with Irsay and have 'em bring in Mellencamp!!!

18 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Does anyone know if this game will broadcast on twitter like the other Thursday games? 

This was taken from here (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2016-thursday-night-football-schedule-kickoff-tv-times-twitter-games-results/)

Here's the NFL-Twitter "Thursday Night Football" schedule, including this week's game:

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

I still don't understand why good old Johny Mellencamp didn't get the nod for the half time show back when Indy hosted the SB... Seemed like the logical choice being Indiana's best example of a home-grown classic rock and roll artist...

Some of his staple hits still ring true or could be seen as having relevance within the context of the country's current cultural climate, so he'd still be a refreshing voice especially on Thanksgiving, so somebody get on the horn with Irsay and have 'em bring in Mellencamp!!!

I'm not sure if he was asked or not but I would also wonder did he even want to do it?  Or perhaps he said sure I'll do it for a million dollars?  Who knows what happened?  I sure he HAD to at least be considered right?

3 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

This was taken from here (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2016-thursday-night-football-schedule-kickoff-tv-times-twitter-games-results/)

Here's the NFL-Twitter "Thursday Night Football" schedule, including this week's game:

Thanks man.  Was having trouble finding that for some reason.  

16 hours ago, Cheryl Pelfrey said:

Being the first time Indianapolis has hosted a thanksgiving day game they should have some kind of performer is my two cents.  

Every game last Thanksgiving had a half time performer, so I am pretty sure this one will.  They had rap, country and a pop artist, so they are missing out on one major genre, metal.    I am going for Lamb of God, but will settle for Metallica. 

3 hours ago, Corndog said:

Every game last Thanksgiving had a half time performer, so I am pretty sure this one will.  They had rap, country and a pop artist, so they are missing out on one major genre, metal.    I am going for Lamb of God, but will settle for Metallica. 

Lamb of God opened for metallica when I seen them both are great but lamb of God is below metallica always will be 

20 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

I echo your sentiments completely Buck. John rules, supports the Colts, & he needs to do a halftime show. 

The sticking point though is this: The League doesn't pay performers to do the landmark shield event. The artist themselves pays them for the global exposure for like 10 minutes of medley work condensing their greatest hits live. John really doesn't need international fame. He's already reached that plateau. 

Having said all that, I'd still love to see him do a SB performance at LOS someday. It would be spectacular man! In the same vein as Prince in my estimation. 

2 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

These are horrible words! Settle for Metallica! Blasphemy :)

Haha, not saying Metallica isn't great, but I want something ridiculously heavy(granted there are much heavier bands than Lamb of God, but to mainstream America it will sound scary) to frighten people.  Besides as awesome as Metallica is, they will probably end up playing "Enter Sandman" and maybe if we are lucky a cut up version of "For Whom the Bell Tolls".  So they wouldn't even be able to play the full version of their best songs, which would defeat the whole purpose of Metallica's more progressive style. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I echo your sentiments completely Buck. John rules, supports the Colts, & he needs to do a halftime show. 

The sticking point though is this: The League doesn't pay performers to do the landmark shield event. The artist themselves pays them for the global exposure for like 10 minutes of medley work condensing their greatest hits live. John really doesn't need international fame. He's already reached that plateau. 

Having said all that, I'd still love to see him do a SB performance at LOS someday. It would be spectacular man! In the same vein as Prince in my estimation. .

There probably won't ever be a run on SB's halftimes like you had from like '05-'10 ever again...

Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, The Who...

I mean seriously...

19 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

There probably won't ever be a run on SB's halftimes like you had from like '05-'10 ever again...

Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, The Who...

I mean seriously...

Yep, you can throw ZZ Top in that stellar headline grouping too Buck. Their classic 'Tush' is timeless man & advertisers/sponsors loved that song since that number has a great hook in it & fits into a nice time slot. It is short duration wise & won't bleep into commercials where the real money is made.  

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me Prince was perfect for our SB winning season. Singing Purple Rain in the rain! What a great moment for the Colts and Prince.

Prince's halftime show was arguably the best ever...

If you just judge on the music alone, it's not even close, & it's awesome that his performance will forever be linked with the Colts!!!

& yeah that Purple Rain was pretty awesome...

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Prince's halftime show was arguably the best ever...

If you just judge on the music alone, it's not even close, & it's awesome that his performance will forever be linked with the Colts!!!

& yeah that Purple Rain was pretty awesome...

I agree, Prince's performance was the best ever in my opinion.  Probably won't ever get close, although I might get crap for this, but I thought Bruno Mars did a very good job a few years back.  

The problem with the Halftime show now is the NFL brings in acts for the teens and female audience that they are trying to build.  In '05-'10 they were actually catering to their audience. 

19 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I agree, Prince's performance was the best ever in my opinion.  Probably won't ever get close, although I might get crap for this, but I thought Bruno Mars did a very good job a few years back.  

The problem with the Halftime show now is the NFL brings in acts for the teens and female audience that they are trying to build.  In '05-'10 they were actually catering to their audience. 

I'm not a huge Bruno fan, but the guy brings it musically & his band/musicians are always tight...

I can't really remember his halftime show, but I remember being really impressed with his live show a few years back on SNL... Super high energy...

Just now, Buck Showalter said:

I'm not a huge Bruno fan, but the guy brings it musically & his band/musicians are always tight...

I can't really remember his halftime show, but I remember being really impressed with his live show a few years back on SNL... Super high energy...

Not a big fan myself, but I thought the performance was very good both musically and physically.  

On 11/17/2016 at 2:44 AM, Buck Showalter said:

I loved Mellencamp back in the day but he has not been relevant to anyone outside of Indiana in over a decade.  The Super Bowl is trying to appeal to mass audiences with varying demographics.  Mellencamp no longer moves the needle.

51 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I loved Mellencamp back in the day but he has not been relevant to anyone outside of Indiana in over a decade.  The Super Bowl is trying to appeal to mass audiences with varying demographics.  Mellencamp no longer moves the needle.

right, saying I didn't understand why Mellencamp wasn't booked was hyperbole...

but to your point, its not like Madonna was the epitome of a 'needle mover' back in 2012 either... The majority of songs she performed were over 20 years old as well...

She just had more current 'guests' contribute to her show, but she was definitely the headliner...

23 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

right, saying I didn't understand why Mellencamp wasn't booked was hyperbole...

but to your point, its not like Madonna was the epitome of a 'needle mover' back in 2012 either... The majority of songs she performed were over 20 years old as well...

She just had more current 'guests' contribute to her show, but she was definitely the headliner...

I agree completely.  But even at the height of their respective careers, Madonna was a far larger global phenom.  

I went to the 2004 Colts Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit.  I am pretty sure Mellencamp played at halftime then.  

25 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I agree completely.  But even at the height of their respective careers, Madonna was a far larger global phenom.  

I went to the 2004 Colts Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit.  I am pretty sure Mellencamp played at halftime then.  

Definitely, the main reason I even mention Mellencamp, is that during the lead up to Indy hosting the Super Bowl it just really felt like Indianapolis as a city & the state of Indiana were really getting some national attention, highlighting the city/state, more than any other Super Bowl host that I can remember. So, it just seemed like a bit of a lost opportunity to continue that trend...