Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rappaport via Rotoworld: Goff will not play until Rams mathematically eliminated

SkyBane

It was kinda wierd just before the draft.  The reporters were saying how high they were on a qb, and traded up for one, and thought it was for Wentz.  The chatter was about Wentz.  Then it switched and the media said it was actually Goff the Rams were eyeing.

I wonder if there were conflicting choices in the organization.  Fisher wanted Wentz and was overruled by others.  Maybe he never thought much of Goff to begin with, and isn't playing him.

I don't think this is as much of a stand for Keenum as it is a suicide mission. Fisher might think he's safe as long as Goff as safe, because he probably discussed the fact that Keenum wasn't exactly going to carry the team to greatness with the owners and GM way before he was even named the starter for other reasons. To bad about Keenum...he showed promise once but has been fed to wolves ever since.

On 11/11/2016 at 3:53 PM, DougDew said:

It was kinda wierd just before the draft.  The reporters were saying how high they were on a qb, and traded up for one, and thought it was for Wentz.  The chatter was about Wentz.  Then it switched and the media said it was actually Goff the Rams were eyeing.

I wonder if there were conflicting choices in the organization.  Fisher wanted Wentz and was overruled by others.  Maybe he never thought much of Goff to begin with, and isn't playing him.

Hmmm...history repeats itself like the Vince Young saga.

59 minutes ago, Jules said:

Rams at Jets is hilarious to look at. lmao 9-6, and I picked the Jets and they put up SIX points at home. Sheesh.

I always pick the Rams to win, it's the Jeff Fisher factor haha I did pick them over Seattle if you remember and got that one. Ever since then I do pick them every week just for fun. I think they play the Pats shortly, Brady better watch it vs the Rams.

On November 11, 2016 at 2:53 PM, DougDew said:

That would explain a lot DD especially if Goff wasn't Fisher's choice to begin with. I kept thinking back to his Titan years under QB Vince Young. Jeff wasn't too keen on the idea of coaching Young, but the owner wanted him so the HC went along with it. Maybe Jeff figured what the hades perhaps lighting will strike twice & I'll get lucky twice. 

So, much for that wishing on a star philosophy eh? Good post DD. It wouldn't be the 1st time a coach was told to draft a field general & make it work. 

Fisher is giving Goff this massage, "You can play when nothing matter". I can't recall this ever being said by an NFL coach. Granted some players have been inserted for maybe the end of a game when the score is out of reach but this makes no sense for the young man's confidence and future. Keenum is at best a back up. Houston gave him several chances and he simply did not get it done. There is something not being said here .

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I always pick the Rams to win, it's the Jeff Fisher factor haha I did pick them over Seattle if you remember and got that one. Ever since then I do pick them every week just for fun. I think they play the Pats shortly, Brady better watch it vs the Rams.

One thing about the Rams - QBs generally go down against them lately or get banged up if they try to pass too much. Flacco and Big Ben last year, Carson Palmer the previous year, and Peyton's slump in the second half of 2014 started with the hits he took in the Rams game where Gase and him attempted 50 plus passes in a 22-7 Rams win. It is the Gregg Williams factor. 

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One thing about the Rams - QBs generally go down against them lately or get banged up if they try to pass too much. Flacco and Big Ben last year, Carson Palmer the previous year, and Peyton's slump in the second half of 2014 started with the hits he took in the Rams game where Gase and him attempted 50 plus passes in a 22-7 Rams win. It is the Gregg Williams factor. 

Yeah ever since I got my Rams prediction right over Seattle in Week 2, I made an oath to pick them every week for the fun of it. I am having fun with that but hey they could go 8-8?? Fish will be there for the next 5 years since nobody has the balls to fire him anyway, so GO FISH LOL.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hey, just heard that Goff is finally going to start vs the Dolphins. Must have been management pressuring Jeff Fisher. 

Hopefully, Goff can produce good numbers even if it is inconsistent to help my fantasy RB Gurley :)

It's one of the biggest stories of the day in the NFL and so far, you're the only poster talking about it.....

Oh well......       nice catch....

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Considering Jeff Fischer is their coach, they probably figure that's about as good as it's going to get.

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, Fisher sure knows how to play poker, or at least fold (fold for the season or fold for management, you pick)  :)

Calling it right now: Goff will have 2 touchdowns and 250+ yards passing vs the Saints. 

If you think I'm crazy, consider this:

Jeff Fisher has never lost to the Saints going back to his Houston Oilers days

The Rams OWN the Saints. This is a rivalry that used to be very fun and exciting when both teams were in the NFC West. The old days of Jim Everett vs the Saints all the way to the Kurt Warner days. Very fun rivalry, especially since the Saints managed to beat the GSOT Rams in the playoffs of 2000 and again, were one of their two losses in 2001. 

But since the division realignment, the Rams have straight up owned the Saints, with an 8-2 record. Both Saints wins came in 2009 and 2010. 

Come Sunday, Goff will look like Kurt Warner reborn, kinda like Mariota last year looked like Steve McNair against the Saints. 

Of course, if I'm wrong, then Jeff Fisher breaks Tom Landry's record of most losses as an NFL coach...and that would be pretty funny.