Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did the o-line flat out QUIT at the end of the game?

bluephantom87

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm simply asking because in the last couple of drives the Chiefs were applying HEAVY pressure and getting sacks with just THREE down lineman against our FIVE offensive lineman. It seemed like since they were getting WHIPPED all game long that they simply quit in the end. Thoughts?

Yeah they did, they were just sluggishly walking around, struggling to even help peel luck off the turf.

Goes back to a Chuck Strong disciplined team that well, lacks discipline. lol!

I kept telling guys constanzo is not a LT, he has the feet and quickness of RT. Joe reitz his horrible he needs to be at guard only never tackle again. Haeg is a rookie so I not as hard on him but he sucks to. And don't even let me get started on denzelle good he is horrible this yr, only person worst than him is reitz 

They can't block full out pressure and struggle with just the basic blocking assignments.

Although there's no alternative at LT, Costanzo looks terrible. He was getting owned by a 50 year old Hali.

I'm not even gonna try to know how to fix it. It looks TOTALLY broken minus a handful of guys. That's not many when there's 50+ guys on a team.

7 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm simply asking because in the last couple of drives the Chiefs were applying HEAVY pressure and getting sacks with just THREE down lineman against our FIVE offensive lineman. It seemed like since they were getting WHIPPED all game long that they simply quit in the end. Thoughts?

To me, it looked like they were still fighting at the end. Even with the new additions they aren't that talented. Castonzo and Reitz were overpowered all day long. I don't know who had responsibility for Poe but on a couple of snaps he wasn't touched on his rush. Miscommunication??? 

8 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

It's quite literally the worst Line that Luck has ever had. No debate. There's a reason our only big downfield play this year was Dorsett's broken streak. We usually have a bunch of 20+ yard plays. But not this year 

That's not true at all. The Colts offense had 31 20+ yard passing plays before this week, good for 4th in the NFL, and only 3 such plays behind the league leading Redskins.

22 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

That's not true at all. The Colts offense had 31 20+ yard passing plays before this week, good for 4th in the NFL, and only 3 such plays behind the league leading Redskins.

That's right not to mention the injuries during the game that forced lineman to switch positions with additional new players coming in to the game. 

52 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm very disappointed with the lines play. They might be worse than last year. Luck is on pace to be sacked 62 times.

Sad but true. Even though they have shown flashes of better play at times this year the tackle play on both sides have been terrible!! Kelly has been solid and so has Mewhort (when healthy) but the rest of that o-line is STILL bad! The reason I agree they might be WORSE this year is because of the PENALTIES that are killing drives and taking points off the board. Guys are NOT focused on snap counts leading to false starts and are getting beat on individual match ups leading to a number of HOLDING penalties.

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Need like 3 more Mewhorts. What's up with LaRaven Clark? He was our 3rd rounder. Do they not have any faith in him whatsoever? Sounds like he wasn't a great pick at #3 for us.

Clark was well known to be a project 3rd rounder who would not contribute his rookie campaign. He has 3rd round talent, but miserable technique and no experience in a pro style blocking scheme.

Need like 3 more Mewhorts. What's up with LaRaven Clark? He was our 3rd rounder. Do they not have any faith in him whatsoever? Sounds like he wasn't a great pick at #3 for us.

Clark was well known to be a project 3rd rounder who would not contribute his rookie campaign. He has 3rd round talent, but miserable technique and no experience in a pro style blocking scheme.

That's what I remembered reading about him. No experience and miserable technique in blocking schemes. Sounds like Andrew Luck told them to make sure he doesn't play til he thinks he's good enough to protect him. Sounds like we could have grabbed him a lot later than the 3rd.

Actually the entire team quit towards the last part of the game, I saw WR's that were just jogging down the field and actually look like they were following the DB's to wherever they were going. Sad state of affairs for the 2016 Colts and the entire team needs to be gutted and start over before Luck retires. 

I don't think they quit. I think they were gassed. As were our receivers. Those last few snaps everyone was so tired you were only risking getting Luck hurt. I was yelling so loud from my seat to get Luck out of there. Our coaches are a bunch of fools.  You keep calling all these deep routes. After a few of those guys were exhausted. They weren't gonna beat KC who were in a deep prevent.... Just foolish.  How many times did Kelce get free releases off the line of scrimmage to run a simple crossing pattern with our guys chasing?  No redirect or jam. Just terrible. How many times did they line up with 3 receivers to one side and we'd have 2 defenders there and they ran the screen?  No adjustments. And I love my quarterback and Crief but him coming back may have been the worst thing to happen to us today because Luck forced him too many throws. If TY was banged up, he should have been used as a decoy and Dorsett should have gotten all his reps in practice. Our coaches and Luck need to take an entire practice and get chemistry built up between him and Luck. He's used strictly as a field stretcher but our line can't give that kind of time. Dorsett 5 catches on 5 targets. Beautiful slant pass early. Never went back to it. TY 1 catch on 6 targets. Crief 4 catches on 9 targets. Luck needs to get off the favorites and need to get this kid involved in the gameplan and the coaches need to force it in practice until Luck trusts him. Plus our coaches and wideouts have terrible awareness. They run their routes like robots. Gaping holes in the zone coverage and they don't break their routes off and look for the ball. They keep running "the designed route" into coverage. We need more option routes...  Luck is ready to throw but they still have their back to him. You take the film. Show it to our players. Go out in practice and have them make adjustments. It's like playground football. If I'm open I'm looking for the ball. Our guys don't. Get a coach in here that can teach our players and get the most out of them. I'm sick of watching us "making the same mistakes over and over" to quote Chuck.  That's your fault Chuck...   I'm so frustrated and disappointed in our franchise right now. Chuck and Grigs gotta go. And if Irsay doesn't want to fire them, then he needs to go too. Give the team to his daughters and he needs to go retire. 

10 hours ago, SkyBane said:

You'd hope as a project that he'd be more than a 3rd round talent. Otherwise what's the upside.

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

You'd hope as a project that he'd be more than a 3rd round talent. Otherwise what's the upside.

I misspoke there I suppose. He really is an athletic freak, crazy strong, he just get almost no leverage out of it due to poor technique. He's just one of those guys that if the light goes on, he's got a shot at being an all pro tackle, but until it does he's almost exclusively a bench warmer.

After re-watching the game this morning. All I can say, is that to me the entire attitude of the team shifted by the middle of the 4th quarter. It was noticeable. 

I think the members of the o-line got sick of being chastised for all the holding penalties and decided to hold back to avoid making another mistake. 

The problem is, the only way they've been able to stop basic pass rushers this season is by blatantly holding them. I've seen them get away with quite a bit of penalties to be honest so far this year. You could almost argue a case that every play someone is getting away with holding a defender. The talent and skills are that bad people. 

This isn't something that can be fixed mid-season. It takes a long time and our boys just aren't up to it yet.