Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Swoope, and Ryan Kelly Highlight

AKB

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'd add TJ Green to that list.

Yeah, the 2016 draft is looking rather spicy all around. Way too early to judge, but if they improve on their current trajectory, we can definitely point to this year as one of Grigson's best drafts.

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

These linebackers seem to really have a hard time covering Swoope man to man. When they are chasing him there is a sizeable gap. Houston game and Tenn.

And everyone (almost) has been ripping Grigs for the"project" that is Swoope.

and btw, is it pronounced swoop or swope?  The announcers call him swope.

26 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I loathe Grigson as a GM, but I never understood that criticism.  Stashing a couple projects on the practice squad is going to effect your team.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

I loathe Grigson as a GM, but I never understood that criticism.  Stashing a couple projects on the practice squad is going to effect your team.

Thats funny ..:.:loathe.

i'm assuming you never actually met the guy.

it's crazy to think sometimes just how emotionally invested we are in this game.  Me included.

16 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

it's crazy to think sometimes just how emotionally invested we are in this game.  Me included.

You can despise a person's body of work without hating them on a personal level. Just look at Pagano, by all accounts a model citizen and standup, inspirational guy. Many find his coaching style and decision making to range from abysmal to offensive.

Being able to separate the professional from the human being is the key to civility, as it were.

1 hour ago, SkyBane said:

You can despise a person's body of work without hating them on a personal level. Just look at Pagano, by all accounts a model citizen and standup, inspirational guy. Many find his coaching style and decision making to range from abysmal to offensive.

Being able to separate the professional from the human being is the key to civility, as it were.

Thats pretty deep for a monday night

But you're right

6 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Yeah, the 2016 draft is looking rather spicy all around. Way too early to judge, but if they improve on their current trajectory, we can definitely point to this year as one of Grigson's best drafts.

Hey there! Yes you. Get outta here right now. Travel to the mountains of Syberia and hide in a small cave for 40 years, and read the bio of Rip Van Winkle. And do not return until you have drenched yourself in Jaguar Juice. How dare you say something so positive.....

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I specifically said "as a GM".  

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I don't remember a lot of criticism for that.  You can't really criticize GM's for taking UDFA project players like Swoop.  

You can if he invested high draft picks in a project player, but a UDFA player has almost no resources committed to him and typically speaking only takes up a practice squad spot while learning.  

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Totally agree. Kelly will make multiple pro bowls and Haeg has tons of potential.

Say what about "upside and potential" with guys like Clark. I like the guys that come in and play well like Haeg has done. Not that I've given up on Clark but I like Haeg that much. Kelly was expected to be good as he was selected at 1.18 but maybe he has exceeded expectations a bit.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Say what about "upside and potential" with guys like Clark. I like the guys that come in and play well like Haeg has done. Not that I've given up on Clark but I like Haeg that much. Kelly was expected to be good as he was selected at 1.18 but maybe he has exceeded expectations a bit.

I like Haeg too!

15 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Swoope made a nice play, but have a look at Kelly's athleticism, he pulls all the way around to the right side of the line and beats the rush. 

If you watched our line play better you would Know that they even have LG Mewhort run over there to that same spot as one of our protection packages. Basic stuff.
  The good news is Kelly is as good as we have had in the Luck era Already. IMO of course.
 And what really excites me is seeing how well he can get out on screens. We haven`t done it much yet, but he can do it. This is Important because Mewhort & Good are so slow they are nearly useless as pullers.
 Gotta like how Swoope is proving himself.

Grigson in particular mentioned Erik Swoope and had good things to say about him: “Erik Swoope really made a statement yesterday with his athleticism and his ability to make plays down the field, he can really run. He’s got to become more consistent, obviously, but for a guy that’s never played football before he’s becoming a threat in the passing game and the way he can adjust and the athleticism he displays is encouraging for us. And he actually is making strides as a blocker. That’s something that, off the film, that is most encouraging because he’s here because you know that he can elevate, he can run, he’s athletic, he’s got a great body, but what he needs to be a complete player in this sport is to block and he’s starting to really, the light’s coming on.”

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/10/24/13395456/recapping-ryan-grigson-s-comments-on-colts-roundtable-show-week-seven

16 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Here's the Ryan Kelly highlight in gif format:

http://i.imgur.com/FwEa660.gifv

I don't understand the draw up myself, but hey, it worked lmao

The assignment really baffles me too.  To ask your center to do around a 4 yard shuffle (almost the same as LT's do every play) seems like a lot of pressure for a rookie center.  The great thing is that he was able to do it so maybe there is something there. The worry comes in when that rusher is someone like Heyward, Miller, or Collins and the speed to power will be too much for a center trying to do a backwards shuffle like that. 

Usually you'd see the Center and the RG call the T as their mark and the TE would chip or rub for the RT so the RT can get some space to plant or drive. At least that would be the most efficient way to do so. 

PS I'd also like to point out that Gore is just a flat out beast in protection.  He literally drives his man backwards.  Which I can't tell if it's a linebacker or a Corner but still rather impressive and then to top it off gets a delayed rusher as well. 

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you watched our line play better you would Know that they even have LG Mewhort run over there to that same spot as one of our protection packages. Basic stuff.
  The good news is Kelly is as good as we have had in the Luck era Already. IMO of course.
 And what really excites me is seeing how well he can get out on screens. We haven`t done it much yet, but he can do it. This is Important because Mewhort & Good are so slow they are nearly useless as pullers.
 Gotta like how Swoope is proving himself.

Very basic stuff for everyone else who doesn't study OLINE protection schemes. Completely agree. 100%.

Yep, basic stuff.