Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts?

digroute88

On 10/21/2016 at 10:00 AM, CR91 said:

I dont know. the early 90s defense were pretty bad especially the one that at one point held the record for most points given up in a season and then theres 2006 before the playoffs. you say this defense cant tackle, go back and watch the game vs the jags late in the season. worst tackling id ever seen in my life

There was one season Trudeau was starting a lot they only scored 123 total points. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/21/2016 at 0:09 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep 1-15 in 1991. The only win was over the Jets 28-27 that season. From 1984-1986 I had to put up with terrible Defenses and Mike Pagel/Frank Kush/and Rod freakin Dowhower. 1987 was sweet because we got Dickerson and actually won the Division. He was the team.

The 91 team was the worst I've ever seen. They were a missed Jets Extra point from beating the Lions to 0-16 by 20 years. Even the 82 team was better. 

On 10/22/2016 at 9:09 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I think many have but this organazation if not put back on course soon may be headed back to gloomy times that may be slmilar to the 80's.

Thing is, Indy fans were so happy to have a team I think they overlooked the futility until the early 90s and the RCA Dome started emptying out. 

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM, krunk said:

I think it's a bad tackling defense for sure.  Bad at executing assignments as far as this front 7 are concerned.  Mainly the linebacking corps.

Since when aren't they a bad tacking defense?

I know there is a difference between college and pro football, however, a lot of the college players look as though they could make this team.  Fundamentally, they make tackles with contact not just reaching and grabbing for ball carrier.  We have players that have been here or in the league for six, seven, and even twelve years and they miss tackles, give up long yardage on pass plays. They usually let receiver catch the ball and then attempt to make tackle by reaching or trying to knock receiver down with a half-hearted body block.  I don't know, sometimes I enjoy a good college game or a 2016 Colt game.  But we will improve someday>

It just looks like they don't practice much. Watching other teams today and tonight you see more execution and aggressiveness. The Colts appear to like a school boy that did not get much sleep the night before. The Texans won so the ship is going in the wrong direction.

36 minutes ago, jaywhy said:

I know there is a difference between college and pro football, however, a lot of the college players look as though they could make this team.  Fundamentally, they make tackles with contact not just reaching and grabbing for ball carrier.  We have players that have been here or in the league for six, seven, and even twelve years and they miss tackles, give up long yardage on pass plays. They usually let receiver catch the ball and then attempt to make tackle by reaching or trying to knock receiver down with a half-hearted body block.  I don't know, sometimes I enjoy a good college game or a 2016 Colt game.  But we will improve someday>

A lot of it is that by contract these guys are limited to only 18 padded practices a season. That's a huge reason why it looks like these guys have no idea how to tackle. 

19 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I agree with you there.  If they lose next week which is highly likely, the chance of turning it around @ 3-6 is slim to none.  Considering they still have to play Oak, Minn, Pitts, Jets and divisional foes they've already lost to they would need to go on a big winning streak which I just don't see happening.

If we win one game, I would consider it a winning streak. Can't wait until the Jags come to town....

No, 1990-1993 called. Look it up, especially the year they went 1-15 under Jeff friggin' George at quarterback. They also had a surprise season in between there, where they went 9-7 and are historically significant as having the absolute worst point differential of a team above .500. 

Hoping there is at least someone here who is old enough to remember this stuff. Oh yeah, Colts played the Patriots twice a year as a divisional opponent back then - proof that Brady/Manning wasn't the only time they had a rivalry. 

11 minutes ago, Bogie said:

No, 1990-1993 called. Look it up, especially the year they went 1-15 under Jeff friggin' George at quarterback. They also had a surprise season in between there, where they went 9-7 and are historically significant as having the absolute worst point differential of a team above .500. 

Hoping there is at least someone here who is old enough to remember this stuff. Oh yeah, Colts played the Patriots twice a year as a divisional opponent back then - proof that Brady/Manning wasn't the only time they had a rivalry. 

I remember it well. They won 5 or 6 in a row close games with a really bad schedule. Might have even beat the Phins and Bills once. Probably a lot of people on here don't even remember we played in the East for 20 plus years.  

On 10/30/2016 at 6:57 PM, mahagga73 said:

Colts in the last thirty years or so have only had a few decent runs of defense. They were pretty good in the late 80s with Bickett, Krauss , etc. Mid-90s they were decent with Siragusa, McCoy, Buchanan, etc. 05 was by far their best D in Indy with McFarland playing NT. They were up there in points allowed in a good way.  That's about it. They have had about 40 years of top QB play, Unitas, Jones, Manning, Luck and in all that 4 titles, 2 in 58 and 59, one in SB3. Three of them by Johnny U, one by Manning , and zero with Bert and Luck.2  stinking titles in 57 years with arguably, them and GB, the best QB talent in the league nonstop. Just think about that and let it settle in. Any kind of defense at all and this franchise should have 4, 5 SB banners . 

They had great defenses from 58-71, and won 3 NFL Championships and a Super Bowl. Three good years 75-77 where they won the division and had pretty good defenses. Irsay dismantled those teams. 

The Indy era had some good defenses, but the better ones seemed to exist in the Baltimore era. One thing is for sure , you are dead right about the great string of quarterbacks. Should be more titles. 

On 10/30/2016 at 6:52 PM, mahagga73 said:

I remember going to Cincy in 83  too see Pagel and the boys take down the AFC champs who were lead by Ken Anderson. They were 5-3 at that point, finished 7-9. Moved to Indy in the offseason. 

I was at the last game against the Oilers. I didn't see another Colts game for a long time. 

22 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

I remember it well. They won 5 or 6 in a row close games with a really bad schedule. Might have even beat the Phins and Bills once. Probably a lot of people on here don't even remember we played in the East for 20 plus years.  

You're right, they did beat the Bills once in those years in an epic upset, and I think they actually swept Miami in 1992 or 1993. 

The old AFC East was always the Bills division in those 4 years, but occasionally was quite competitive with the Colts and Jets playing upset teams towards the Dolphins and Bills. One of the true reasons that Miami was always 'doomed' when it came to going into the playoffs and having to make that road trip to snowy Buffalo where they never won a playoff game in Marino's years. 

On 10/31/2016 at 10:33 PM, The Old Crow said:

They had great defenses from 58-71, and won 3 NFL Championships and a Super Bowl. Three good years 75-77 where they won the division and had pretty good defenses. Irsay dismantled those teams. 

The Indy era had some good defenses, but the better ones seemed to exist in the Baltimore era. One thing is for sure , you are dead right about the great string of quarterbacks. Should be more titles. 

So true. The '68 defense was the best defense in NFL history up to that point. And still one of the best ever. The worst defenses were '81 and '82 in Baltimore. In Indy, I would say this is the worst. Gives up a lot of yards, a lot of points, but also doesn't get turnover or sacks. Just very, very sad.

On 10/20/2016 at 9:24 AM, digroute88 said:

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts? One of the so called radio experts was quoted as saying the Colts defense is the worst he's seen in 20 years , so I was just wondering if this could be the worst ever . I think were 31st in the league .

Is there a single poster on the website who would take the time and trouble to go back through history and find out?

I'm guessing......    No.

11 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

So true. The '68 defense was the best defense in NFL history up to that point. And still one of the best ever. The worst defenses were '81 and '82 in Baltimore. In Indy, I would say this is the worst. Gives up a lot of yards, a lot of points, but also doesn't get turnover or sacks. Just very, very sad.

No doubt. If you watched the 81 and 82 Colt teams, you can see why few came out to watch in 1983. 

On 10/20/2016 at 0:24 PM, digroute88 said:

Is this the worst defense in the history of the Colts? One of the so called radio experts was quoted as saying the Colts defense is the worst he's seen in 20 years , so I was just wondering if this could be the worst ever . I think were 31st in the league .

Defense is bad but this is THE WORST COACHED TEAM IN THE LAST 20 YEARS!!

On 10/20/2016 at 0:24 PM, digroute88 said:

I understand the sentiment, but with the heinously bad teams the Colts have had over the years, mostly prior to PM, I doubt this is the very worst.  We at least have a couple good veterans (Davis and the injured Adams) and a couple good young players (Anderson and Kerr and a few other linemen have played above their pedigree so to speak) but otherwise, it's pretty grim.   It is going to take 5 really solid new players to move the needle much on defense and we still have a nightmare on the O-Line.  We could spend 3 top picks there again just to try and put together solid starters and reasonable depth on the O-line for next year.  We can't afford that though.. so it's just a mess.