Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Secondary Under Pagano

BProland85

I think this hire makes our Secondary MUCH better coached and Im sure we will bring in some players to improve the talent as well. Our biggest weakness will be vastly improved since Pagano has extensive experience coaching the secondary and was a SS himself.

The secondary biggest problem was/is lack of talent. Our previous secondary coach, Alan Williams, was just hired as the DC of the Vikings so at least one organization thinks he has some coaching ability. The only way our secondary will improve will be to bring in players with talent.

The secondary biggest problem was/is lack of talent. Our previous secondary coach, Alan Williams, was just hired as the DC of the Vikings so at least one organization thinks he has some coaching ability. The only way our secondary will improve will be to bring in players with talent.

I kind of have to agree, I think we lack player personel however guys like Kevin Thomas and Chris Rucker are still work in progress and maybe the new coaching staff can better them. We all know Bethea is top notch and Powers has great potential (a bit injury prone though), now they just need to assess the the young talent & keep building that area.

Word is Chris Carr might be released from the Jags, and Dominique Foxworth might be released as well, both Pagano guys. Not stellar playmakers but excellent role players with experience for whatever D Pagano might run.

Also, Cory Redding should be a free agent and hopefully Pagano & Grigson can make it work and add him to the D-line here.

I think this hire makes our Secondary MUCH better coached and Im sure we will bring in some players to improve the talent as well. Our biggest weakness will be vastly improved since Pagano has extensive experience coaching the secondary and was a SS himself.

No doubt. His track record speaks for itself.

I hope he gets Tom Zbikowski, maybe L. Webb to follow him.

I really hope he goes after Zbikowski to play next to Bethea. Dude's tough as nails, when the league was locked out he fought in a couple boxing matches. I can see Pagano going after a lot of the Raven's free agents on defense.

On a side note, I think you can pretty much pencil in Leslie Frazier for being first coach fired next season. What a horrible move for DC. You pick the guy who has arguably the worst secondary in the NFL??

I wasn't aware till he got hired for that DC job he had been here for ten years which means he was also responable for the secondary that set the NFL record for giving up the fewest passing TDs in a single season.

I think the problem last year was that they let Hayden go and never really had a plan to replace him and having Jennings and Hughes not working out here and having Jackson and Thomas both having injury issues finally came back to bite us.

We have been razor thin at safety for a couple of years and when we released Sanders and then Bullitt got hurt it just killed us as at safety.

I haven't gone back and ran the numbers yet but I think our secondary had more undrafted players in it than drafted players in it. On top of that most of our drafted players were late round picks and while one of those guys was Bethea was a steal most of them haven't been as good.

Long story short bad drafting and injuries killed our secondary.

So I agree with you 100% we need better talent back there.

I think Bethia is the guy you build around back there. I think Powers is a nice peace but I think he is more of a number two corner in this league. I wouldn't mind keeping some of the other guys for depth but we do need another starting safety and corner.

what about J. Powers at the SS position, is this a move that would be possible as we look at going to a more man to man cb'sd?

not sure if Rucker/Thomas could fill one of these cb spots

what would be some thoughts to this?

what about J. Powers at the SS position, is this a move that would be possible as we look at going to a more man to man cb'sd?

powers at ss? about as feasible as mike pollock playing te

Powers has potential to be a solid starting CB when he's on his game and healthy. It seemed like a significantly larger # of plays were going towards Laceys side when Powers was playing. The Bethea/Powers backfield can do a lot of damage to their surround areas. I also like Powers in his run support. The unfortunate thing is Powers has missed 14 games since his rookie year 3 seasons ago. He just needs to stay healthy and try to keep improving, which I hope he can do. If he can't stay healthy he will be the Bob Sanders of CBs (always injured).

powers at ss? about as feasible as mike pollock playing te

Powers has potential to be a solid starting CB when he's on his game and healthy. It seemed like a significantly larger # of plays were going towards Laceys side when Powers was playing. The Bethea/Powers backfield can do a lot of damage to their surround areas. I also like Powers in his run support. The unfortunate thing is Powers has missed 14 games since his rookie year 3 seasons ago. He just needs to stay healthy and try to keep improving, which I hope he can do. If he can't stay healthy he will be the Bob Sanders of CBs (always injured).

I know in the past our safties have been interchangeable, but Powers at SS is asking for trouble. I can't see him being the 8th man in the box. He should be a FS and put Bethea at SS so he can be the fill guy on the running plays. Powers can play centerfield.

FS would be a better fit for him. the reason i'm thinking S at all for him is because i think he is more of a zone cover cb than a man to man and (but still a good player) that might could start at one of the S positions. looks like we may be going to more man to man if we play any 3/4 D at all (we would need man to man at the cb position) but maybe Powers can play man to man not sure!!

I know in the past our safties have been interchangeable, but Powers at SS is asking for trouble. I can't see him being the 8th man in the box. He should be a FS and put Bethea at SS so he can be the fill guy on the running plays. Powers can play centerfield.

This won't be his task though, and I hope he doesn't try to be a micro-managing coordinator instead of doing his job as a head coach.

Exactly, and I dont think he would micromanage players - he will light fires under his staff and if they dont get the job done he will let them know about it!

I always thought Bethea would make a good SS regardless of his 5 11" 205 lbs size. He is a sure tackler and hits pretty hard too at times. Also, what do you guys think of Lefeged at FS? He seems like a good centerfielder and had 2 INTs this year despite limited snaps and teams always running on us. Imo, Lefeged at FS and Bethea at SS would be nice. But I think getting an actual starting caliber SS to pair with Bethea is a better option. Just sayin.... If the colts cant get a starting SS this year the Bethea/Lefeged combo wouldnt be a bad substitute until we get a good SS. Bullitt just plain out sucks imo

I would guess that we will draft a SS in the 2-3 round. It is too critical a position in either defensive scheme. They make big money because there is a big dropoff between the starts and the average guys playing the position. Melvin is too fragile and a huge liability in coverage.

We need a corner..im so sick of watching our corners play 10-15 yards off the ball, hopefully that will change with our new scheme. Anyways we should pick up a Corner, Powers wont ever be a top if even a decent corner. Just get rid of Lacey and Trying, both suck. Im feeling Webb from the Ravens, him and Pagano can team up again or, Kirkpatrick may be there in the second round too. Our best corners we ever had was Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden.

This works both ways though, because Tryon also got a job with the Giants and Jennings has played fairly well for the Bears. and Kelvin Hayden is doing quite well for the falcons.

I've seen quite a few posts about your optimism in snagging Webb, are you guys aware he's an rfa and in all likelyhood would require your coveted first round pick to get him? By the way you guys got a great guy in pagano hes a phenomenal coach I just hope Irsay didn't hire him to be his puppet being a rookie hc and all.

I don't think we're going to get Webb because he's a RFA.

I do think that Pagano could bring guys like Jameel McClain, Jaret Johnson, Tom Zbikowski and Brandon McKinney to Indy. Looking at Baltimore's free agents, all of them are restricted. Best case scenario is we can get Grubbs or Webb, but I don't see it happening.

I don't think we're going to get Webb because he's a RFA.

I do think that Pagano could bring guys like Jameel McClain, Jaret Johnson, Tom Zbikowski and Brandon McKinney to Indy. Looking at Baltimore's free agents, all of them are restricted. Best case scenario is we can get Grubbs or Webb, but I don't see it happening.

That's all very possible, I think you'll get at least JJ. He's a great edge setter in run protection, not a great pass rusher though.

I'd love to see Zbikowski in a Colts uniform; it would improve our seconary instantly. I'm not sure what to say about our CB's.

I'd also love to see one of Baltimore's DT's on our line.

He's one I'd love to bring over because he helps in more than one area.

He can not only help with safety but can play special teams and has some returner experience.

Jim Irsay has never been a micro manager. He does make decisions such as approving the decision to or not to draft Luck in the 1st round. He has made that very clear, the GM gives his recommendations and Jim has the final say, but that is not micro managing. I believe he is in agreement with Grigson, that Luck will be the Colts QB next season.

It will be up to the new coaching staff to grade the personnel in the secondary. Players who cannot play cover 2 may be very good in man to man. Or not. New system will mean a lot of changes. IMO, it will be a very welcome change.