Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mewhort to play against DET

Jackie Daytona

18 minutes ago, tikyle said:

I don't like this.  Unless there is no chance to worsen I think he needs to sit.

Says the person on the forum who probably isn't a doctor and hasn't examined Mewhort.  I know this is a stretch but maybe we could trust the Colts training staff and coaches since they access to his medical records, something we don't and not try to back seat Doctor?

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Says the person on the forum who probably isn't a doctor and hasn't examined Mewhort.  I know this is a stretch but maybe we could trust the Colts training staff and coaches since they access to his medical records, something we don't and not try to back seat Doctor?

Like those same doctors last year said Luck was week to week and he wound up missing entire season. Those doctors?

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Like RG3 trusted the Redskins.

Like Luck was suppose to be out only 4 weeks last year.

Like Bob Sanders coming back and always reinjuring the same bicep.

You don't need to be a doctor to be concerned about a player who's coming back from an injury a lot earlier than originally forecast once he was diagnosed.  And you are acting like guys don't often rush back from injury because they want to get back on the field.

Mewhort might be the 2nd most important player on our offense and I damn sure don't want that guy coming back if he could re-injure or worsen his injury.  It's game friggin' one.  If we can't beat the Lions without him (and half of our defense) then we aren't as good as we hoped to be.

42 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah, Rappaport really nailed it. Lol

Was he the one that reported gone for year?  Yeah, I wish there was some website somewhere that kept score of these "breaking news" type reports.  Nowadays, media can be constantly wrong and no one seems to fact check them.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Like those same doctors last year said Luck was week to week and he wound up missing entire season. Those doctors?

Notice how they didn't rush him back?  Also we don't know what the doctors said, we know what the team laid out as a time table.  It was off in terms of him missing more time which showed signs of them being cautious.  Since this poster is worried about them rushing a player back too soon the fact they were cautious with Luck seems to support the arguement they aren't going to rush a player back.  If Mewhort has been cleared to play and plays what basis do we have to second guess it or even say I think they are rushing him back too soon, we literally know nothing about the injury beyond what we hear?

4 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Like RG3 trusted the Redskins.

Like Luck was suppose to be out only 4 weeks last year.

Like Bob Sanders coming back and always reinjuring the same bicep.

You don't need to be a doctor to be concerned about a player who's coming back from an injury a lot earlier than originally forecast once he was diagnosed.  And you are acting like guys don't often rush back from injury because they want to get back on the field.

Mewhort might be the 2nd most important player on our offense and I damn sure don't want that guy coming back if he could re-injure or worsen his injury.  It's game friggin' one.  If we can't beat the Lions without him (and half of our defense) then we aren't as good as we hoped to be.

I think it was made pretty clear by James Andrews he all but told the Redskins RG3 shouldn't be playing.  I don't hear any doctor saying Mewhort shouldn't be playing.  Please show me evidence that Mewhort is in danger of doing more damage by playing beyond you thinking it could happen.  That's my point almost no one here is a doctor and no one here has examined Mewhort.  We are in no position to suggest we know more than the Colts or their team doctors if Mewhort should be playing or not.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Notice how they didn't rush him back?  Also we don't know what the doctors said, we know what the team laid out as a time table.  It was off in terms of him missing more time which showed signs of them being cautious.  Since this poster is worried about them rushing a player back too soon the fact they were cautious with Luck seems to support the arguement they aren't going to rush a player back.  If Mewhort has been cleared to play and plays what basis do we have to second guess it or even say I think they are rushing him back too soon, we literally know nothing about the injury beyond what we hear?

True, we don't know. But if the Colts do rush him back they wouldn't be the first team to do so. I think the poster showed legitimate concern. First we heard out for season, then out 4 weeks. Now he's ready for game 1.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher said:

True, we don't know. But if the Colts do rush him back they wouldn't be the first team to do so. I think the poster showed legitimate concern. First we heard out for season, then out 4 weeks. Now he's ready for game 1.

What we heard was the Colts feared he was lost for the season, the MRI showed different clearly.  Fans took that fear to mean he was gone before the MRI.

Then it became two to four weeks.  This would be right at the two week mark.  The fact he could be good to go isn't unlikely.  

its one thing to say hey I am concerned someone could get hurt, that exists on every play in the NFL.  It's another to say you don't like the fact that someone might play when there is nothing to show the Colts are rushing him back too soon.  If anything the Colts training staff has shown to be overly cautious with injuried players since Pagano got here.  I think if Mewhort has been cleared to play it's because he can.  Is there a chance he could get hurt?  Of course, but again that exist on every play in the NFL.  

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It is a legitimate question. We have already saw it this season with Darius Butler, D'Joun Smith, and Tevin Mitchel. They all came back early and got hurt again which is probably why we are holding out Butler this time. 

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

It is a legitimate question. We have already saw it this season with Darius Butler, D'Joun Smith, and Tevin Mitchel. They all came back early and got hurt again which is probably why we are holding out Butler this time. 

We have?  butler got hurt in the Eagles game and hasn't played since.  Smith was hurt before camp started.  Mitchel has multipal injuries.  Also just because a player was hurt before and gets hurt again doesn't mean they got hurt again because of the first injury.  It's possible to get a second injury unrelated to the first.  

During the pre-season if you have a hang nail you don't play so I really doubt the Colts were running hurt players out there.  There would be no point behind it.  

Regardless, none of us still know the honest health status of Mewhort and are in position to say if he should be playing or not.  So why are we acting like we are?

My original statement was just purely concern.  @GoColt8818 you know this culture that is the NFL.  Guys fear other guys taking their starting job.  Guys just want to be on the field.  Guys are just hyper competitive.  The culture leads to guys coming back too soon and getting re-injured.  At some point in the rehab process you go by how a guy "feels."  If there was no major damage you are not going to do another MRI.  It will go off of feedback from Mewhort and doctors recommendation from that feedback.  This guy is our best lineman on a team with O-line issues.  His importance is paramount.  I'd rather go a few games without him than him rushing back and only going a few games with him for the season.

1 minute ago, tikyle said:

My original statement was just purely concern.  @GoColt8818 you know this culture that is the NFL.  Guys fear other guys taking their starting job.  Guys just want to be on the field.  Guys are just hyper competitive.  The culture leads to guys coming back too soon and getting re-injured.  At some point in the rehab process you go by how a guy "feels."  If there was no major damage you are not going to do another MRI.  It will go off of feedback from Mewhort and doctors recommendation from that feedback.  This guy is our best lineman on a team with O-line issues.  His importance is paramount.  I'd rather go a few games without him than him rushing back and only going a few games with him for the season.

And maybe there is no reason for him to miss a few games. It's very possible he's ready to go.  None of us honestly know if he's coming back too soon or not.  So I wouldn't worry about it until there is a reason to worry about it which would be if he gets hurt again.  

I'd also argue he's our second best lineman but that's different subject for a different thread.  

Of course no one wants to see him coming back too soon including the Colts.  So if he plays on Sunday I would take it as a sign he's ready to play.  For what it's worth Irsay has said time will tell if Jack starts.  It could be he's only playing in an emergency situation.  Either way, the Colts training staff has shown to be cautious with injuried players since Pagano has been here, I trust them not to send someone back out there too soon.  If you don't you are more than entitled to your own opinion and that's fine.  

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

What we heard was the Colts feared he was lost for the season, the MRI showed different clearly.  Fans took that fear to mean he was gone before the MRI.

Then it became two to four weeks.  This would be right at the two week mark.  The fact he could be good to go isn't unlikely.  

its one thing to say hey I am concerned someone could get hurt, that exists on every play in the NFL.  It's another to say you don't like the fact that someone might play when there is nothing to show the Colts are rushing him back too soon.  If anything the Colts training staff has shown to be overly cautious with injuried players since Pagano got here.  I think if Mewhort has been cleared to play it's because he can.  Is there a chance he could get hurt?  Of course, but again that exist on every play in the NFL.  

The poster said that if there is a chance for Mewhort to re-injure his knee that he thinks he should sit. That is not an outrageous statement like you are making it out to be. That fact that he feels he might be rushed back too soon is a personal opinion based off of what we know about the injury. He was given a 2-4 week time table in which he would most likely return. By him possibly playing by the 2 week mark in that table some might be worried that he might be rushing back. I think it is a legitimate concern. Like you said the Colts' medical staff should know better than us. However, due to the importance of Mewhort to our offensive line the thought of rushing him back is not a comforting thought for most posters.

Just now, SDakColts said:

The poster said that if there is a chance for Mewhort to re-injure his knee that he thinks he should sit. That is not an outrageous statement like you are making it out to be. That fact that he feels he might be rushed back too soon is a personal opinion based off of what we know about the injury. He was given a 2-4 week time table in which he would most likely return. By him possibly playing by the 2 week mark in that table some might be worried that he might be rushing back. I think it is a legitimate concern. Like you said the Colts' medical staff should know better than us. However, due to the importance of Mewhort to our offensive line the thought of rushing him back is not a comforting thought for most posters.

Do we know if there is a chance or not?  That's my point we love to play back seat doctor on this forum and honestly we are in no position to do that.  We just don't have the information to do that.  

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We have?  butler got hurt in the Eagles game and hasn't played since.  Smith was hurt before camp started.  Mitchel has multipal injuries.  Also just because a player was hurt before and gets hurt again doesn't mean they got hurt again because of the first injury.  It's possible to get a second injury unrelated to the first.  

During the pre-season if you have a hang nail you don't play so I really doubt the Colts were running hurt players out there.  There would be no point behind it.  

Regardless, none of us still know the honest health status of Mewhort and are in position to say if he should be playing or not.  So why are we acting like we are?

Butler had missed the 2nd preseason game and came back against the Eagles and got hurt again. Smith and Mitchel had multiple injuries and they both came back and played and got hurt again. Grigson even admitted that they let the corners play too early because they were trying to win a job. 

He did mention this is more of a "corner" problem but another injury is definitely possible. I trust the doctors as well and if he is ready than so be it.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Do we know if there is a chance or not?  That's my point we love to play back seat doctor on this forum and honestly we are in no position to do that.  We just don't have the information to do that.  

You are correct. We do not know if there is a chance or not, but based on the information we have already received on the injury is it unfair for a poster to question the time table? I think everyone should be able to believe what they want, and not be told they are wrong because the Colts' medical staff said so. I personally trust the medical staff to make the right decision, and Pagano's past indications to lean towards the side of caution. I just feel that the previous posters also have legitimate concerns about rushing him back.