Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings are trading for Eagles' QB Sam Bradford

Everyone

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am late to the party but skimmed through the Posts and see you don't like this so I don't have to ask you how do you like this. I agree a 1st Rounder is way to much and a 4th on top of it. Sam is injury prone as well.

I feel a bit better about the trade after thinking it through. Yes, it is a lot to give up for a stopgap player and I never like giving away high draft picks for anyone. However, we were not going to have any chance of making the playoffs with Shaun Hill or anyone else we had at QB. I also believe that that there may be concern that Teddy will not be ready for next season. Bradford has a 2-year contract, $18/year. The Eagles already paid $11 million. I believe we will pay him $7 million for this year, which is not bad for a starting QB.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll save Mark the time and just say NEVER. He does have Peterson now though but I am not even sure he can make it through the season without getting injured? He is very injury prone.

When Peyton went down, were you guys confident that Painter could win any games? Shaun Hill is worse than what Painter was then.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

When Peyton went down, were you guys confident that Painter could win any games? Shaun Hill is worse than what Painter was then.

Talent wise Bradford is much better than Hill, I just question his durability more than anything. I would rather take my chances with Bradford though more than I would a QB like Kaepernick or Sanchez. So we will see. Painter may have been the worse QB in NFL history.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

When was the last time bradford led a team to the playoffs?

Okay,  but when was the last time Shaun Hill did.?

This move shows the team they're not giving up this season..which playing Shaun Hill suggests, right?

the only question that matters right now is Bradford better than Sean Hill.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'll save Mark the time and just say NEVER. He does have Peterson now though but I am not even sure he can make it through the season without getting injured? He is very injury prone.

This is true...but playing Shaun Hill is saying we cant be a winning team this year, isnt it?

2 minutes ago, BertJones said:

its not Kaepernick but just as good a move.

a deep playoff run is still coming.

the Bears did it with Rex Grossman

Thanks. I told you in the Bridgewater thread that there was no way we were signing Kaepernick. :)

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I told you in the Bridgewater thread that there was no way we were signing Kaepernick. :)

I am glad you guys didn't sign him. Not a fan of his at all, especially after what has been going on. He was a Good QB under Harbaugh I will give him credit where credit is due but his game has fallen way off over the last 2 seasons. So his game isn't even good anymore either.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Talent wise Bradford is much better than Hill, I just question his durability more than anything. I would rather take my chances with Bradford though more than I would a QB like Kaepernick or Sanchez. So we will see. Painter may have been the worse QB in NFL history.

Oh yeah, I have the same concerns. However, I think it was incumbent on the GM to give us a chance to win. Bradford is not great but I think with the way we play, he does not have to be great to help us win. He just has to avoid injury. With any football player, that is never guaranteed.

26 minutes ago, BertJones said:

that door is still open lol

Sam falls down before trade deadline or they use him in the next couple days to trade with SF.

haha  There is NO way the Vikes would sign him. I think they might sign me before they sign Kaep. Lol.

47 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Okay,  but when was the last time Shaun Hill did.?

This move shows the team they're not giving up this season..which playing Shaun Hill suggests, right?

the only question that matters right now is Bradford better than Sean Hill.

Bradford has a game to play in 8 days.    I have a hard time believing he will know much of the playbook.   The have up a 1 st rounder next year for an unproven guy .   Bradford had the 3rd worst qbr of any qb last year

If I may opine...

I can't recall a time in the modern football era that MULTIPLE teams have been so boneheaded to give up so much for someone who's really not that great.

I mean Bradford is not Jamarcus Russell but in my eyes Bradford has been far less worth what teams have given up...personally I see Bradford as a bust overall but that's my opinion.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That isn't saying much.   But they wouldn't have had to give up a first and a fourth for Sanchez

Exactly. You'd have been dumb to pay anything more than a 6th or 7th for butt fumble and even then that would be considered highly questionable.

but Bradford is most definitely NOT WORTH the 1st round pick. It should be just a 4th for the guy. I still wouldn't change my opinion if he took them all the way to the Lombardi...but hey I'm just some dumb fan what do I know :)

3 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Exactly. You'd have been dumb to pay anything more than a 6th or 7th for butt fumble and even then that would be considered highly questionable.

but Bradford is most definitely NOT WORTH the 1st round pick. It should be just a 4th for the guy. I still wouldn't change my opinion if he took them all the way to the Lombardi...but hey I'm just some dumb fan what do I know :)

Clearly,  if he took them to the championship it should be worth it

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The post you quoted was not written by me; it gives my username but I did not write it. What happened there???

(I believe it was Teganslaw who wrote what you quoted.)

Now that I have had time to think about it, I am okay with this trade. 

Yeah, wasn't quoting you, for certain. Yet.. your name ended up on the quote???  How did that happen?

Hmmmmm.... something tho look into.

Drove home from the Stanford game.....     listened to the NFL Network for 6 hours.

Heard the following....

That the price for guys like the back-ups in Cleveland and Tampa and elsewhere was very high.

That Minnesota took a number of points into consideration....

1.     First year of a new stadium, and they're trying to keep momentum on their side by being a playoff caliber team.

2.    Adrian Peterson is on the back-end of his career,  so you have to make the most of it.

3.    Bradford has played in a Turner system before with other coaches,  one of whom is the Vikings TE coach.... Brad Childress,  I believe...

4.    Bridgewater might not be ready at the start of the '18 season.    The 2nd pick,  the #4,  is conditional.    So, they can keep Bradford if they need to for the price of the conditional 4 and have a solid QB.      Otherwise, if Bridgewater IS back,  then they can let Bradford go if they want,  and keep the 4.      So, in that case,  it would be a #1 for the 2017 season.     Given the percentage of 1's who don't pan out and that Minnesota is built to win now,   the investment is not likely to harm the franchise long term.

That's the wrap-up from a variety of sources in the NFL Network.....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Drove home from the Stanford game.....     listened to the NFL Network for 6 hours.

Heard the following....

That the price for guys like the back-ups in Cleveland and Tampa and elsewhere was very high.

That Minnesota took a number of points into consideration....

1.     First year of a new stadium, and they're trying to keep momentum on their side by being a playoff caliber team.

2.    Adrian Peterson is on the back-end of his career,  so you have to make the most of it.

3.    Bradford has played in a Turner system before with other coaches,  one of whom is the Vikings TE coach.... Brad Childress,  I believe...

4.    Bridgewater might not be ready at the start of the '18 season.    The 2nd pick,  the #4,  is conditional.    So, they can keep Bradford if they need to for the price of the conditional 4 and have a solid QB.      Otherwise, if Bridgewater IS back,  then they can let Bradford go if they want,  and keep the 4.      So, in that case,  it would be a #1 for the 2017 season.     Given the percentage of 1's who don't pan out and that Minnesota is built to win now,   the investment is not likely to harm the franchise long term.

That's the wrap-up from a variety of sources in the NFL Network.....

Exactly. Thanks for this.

To the bolded, it is Pat Shurmur, not Brad Childress. Bradford played for Shurmur not only last year but his rookie year when he won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

BTW, nice start for our Stanford Cardinal with the win over K State.

32 minutes ago, BertJones said:

there was no way they were signing Bradford either. No one saw this coming.

No one saw Sanchez to Dallas either

Believe what you want to believe. The Vikings were not signing Kaep, even if he came for the league minimum in salary. Given the public backlash that ensued following the Peterson fiasco two years ago and the opening of the new stadium, the front office was not going to bring in Kaepernick whose actions have upset many fans, including some Vikings fans. He would have been a huge distraction like P Chris Kluwe was when he was vocal about a different social issue. 

Bradford does not bring that kind of baggage (injuries, yes, but nothing that would upset season-ticket holders and sponsors).

Believe what you will. The reality is that Kaep is not playing for the Vikings. 

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Exactly. Thanks for this.

To the bolded, it is Pat Shurmur, not Brad Childress. Bradford played for Shurmur not only last year but his rookie year when he won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

BTW, nice start for our Stanford Cardinal with the win over K State.

Yup.....    You're right.....   Shurmur,  not Childress.     My bad.

As for Stanford.....     it may have been a very costly win.     One of our top defenders was hurt.    We don't know how bad.       But the hard part of the schedule is front loaded.      And so our NT may miss the most important part of the season.      Not a good way to start.       Darn.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.....    You're right.....   Shurmur,  not Childress.     My bad.

As for Stanford.....     it may have been a very costly win.     One of our top defenders was hurt.    We don't know how bad.       But the hard part of the schedule is front loaded.      And so our NT may miss the most important part of the season.      Not a good way to start.       Darn.

Yeah, not good. Let's hope others step up and do the job.

What do you think will happen with Hogan? I was hoping the Vikes would draft him late. Now that he has been waived by the Chiefs, I was hoping we can sign him to our PS, if that is possible. But it probably won't happen.

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Bradford has a game to play in 8 days.    I have a hard time believing he will know much of the playbook.   The have up a 1 st rounder next year for an unproven guy .   Bradford had the 3rd worst qbr of any qb last year

Given. He wont be ready...that's true...but lets say he's ready to play by October......`12 games left

..and last year is last year...Hes surrounded by better players in Minnesota....and certainly a better defense..

He;s verty much wanted..unlike in Phily

.......I think they wanted a vet..he played well in the preseason..we saw that here.

Right now, he is healthy..

...and they have multiple 3rd and 4th round picks next season, right? If they want a late '1' they can get one.

The Vikings top choice next year figures to be a late '1';

I just think their window is open...The Bears and Lions aren't strong...A. Peterson may now have no more than a couple' of years left.....They've drafted well.....the big WR from Mississippi...

Its go-time...

.........I know Its Sam Bradford....he's always disappointed..

I see where it could fail (he could get hurt) but No.1 choices are for the future and their future is now

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Impressive....by the eagles.

They not only moved up to #2 to get what they think/hope is their future franchise qb, But then trade unhappy Bradford for a 1st & 4th and recoup some of what they gave up to draft wentz.

They gave up on this season but they were eventually going to play Wentz anyway...

...and that would make this a developmental season...

I don't think many in Philadelphia liked Bradford anyway...its probably a popular move

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess the Vikings really had no choice if they wanted to have a shot to make the Playoffs but man giving up a 1st Rounder is a huge gamble on a guy that has trouble staying healthy.

Its a gamble ...but The Vikings drafted 23rd last season.......

Even if its 15-20 next spring....you can give that pick up...for a QB on a team that otherwise is a playoff team

Live for today. Live for today

Lets don't worry about tomorrow,,.,.....hey...hey...

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, not good. Let's hope others step up and do the job.

What do you think will happen with Hogan? I was hoping the Vikes would draft him late. Now that he has been waived by the Chiefs, I was hoping we can sign him to our PS, if that is possible. But it probably won't happen.

I think Hogan goes to the Chiefs PS.

I'd be surprised if that didn't happen.....

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, NFLfan said:

I agree. I don't like giving up high draft picks for stopgaps. This must mean that the Vikings believe Teddy will be out beyond this year.

Oh well.

I agree. I believe the earliest Teddy would be back is in a year and even then that would push him right up to the start of the season. With a starting caliber qb they have enough on this team to make the playoffs. No reason to give up two years of prime AP to have some Joe Smoe ruin the offense for this team. I'm sure Shaun Hill is a nice guy and capable back up but this team is opening a brand new state of the art stadium and has a playoff caliber roster outside qb so why not send a first rounder to get the best qb that is "on the market". It was very likely Teddy would be out probably at least 6 weeks into next too and having Sam controlled with a reasonable salary for the next two years played a big role in the move. It's a win, win, win, win. Sam is happy to be out of the QB situation in Philly, Philly can play their rookie quicker, Minnesota is back to a playoff caliber team, and Cleveland will likely get a top 5 pick.

I know people are thinking Minnesota got screwed but you have to understand what your owner wants. It's clear putting a playoff caliber team on the field to support a new stadium is a big priority and the GM is doing the best job he can. Can't fault him for making the best out of a horrible situation.

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree. I believe the earliest Teddy would be back is in a year and even then that would push him right up to the start of the season. With a starting caliber qb they have enough on this team to make the playoffs. No reason to give up two years of prime AP to have some Joe Smoe ruin the offense for this team. I'm sure Shaun Hill is a nice guy and capable back up but this team is opening a brand new state of the art stadium and has a playoff caliber roster outside qb so why not send a first rounder to get the best qb that is "on the market". It was very likely Teddy would be out probably at least 6 weeks into next too and having Sam controlled with a reasonable salary for the next two years played a big role in the move. It's a win, win, win, win. Sam is happy to be out of the QB situation in Philly, Philly can play their rookie quicker, Minnesota is back to a playoff caliber team, and Cleveland will likely get a top 5 pick.

I know people are thinking Minnesota got screwed but you have to understand what your owner wants. It's clear putting a playoff caliber team on the field to support a new stadium is a big priority and the GM is doing the best job he can. Can't fault him for making the best out of a horrible situation.

Yep, I agree.  The fan base had very high hopes for this year. Teddy was looking great and the coaching staff vowed to make the offense less predictable. That injury brought everyone down. I had a similar feeling when we lost that NFCCG after the 15-1 season in Jan 1999 . This trade brought our hopes up again, as it says we are not throwing in the towel and waving the white flag. Now if Bradford gets injured, then everyone will say it was a bad move. I don't see it that way. It was a good risk to take regardless of how it turns out. 

We have a talented team. We could not go into the season with Shawn Hill as the starting quarterback. I hated giving up a first round pick but sometimes it is necessary. Bradford was the best option among all the realistic ones. I would have loved Rivers but he is not going anywhere.

BTW, glad to see you posting again. Your objectivity is always appreciated. 

This trade makes no sense.........unless you are the Eagles. I mean for real? Bradford? A First? For.......Sam Bradford? 

Makes the Richardson trade we did even look more sane now.....kinda.

Packers are going to run away with the North though and that was already my early prediction. They might win the NFC too.

2 hours ago, Jules said:

This trade makes no sense.........unless you are the Eagles. I mean for real? Bradford? A First? For.......Sam Bradford? 

Makes the Richardson trade we did even look more sane now.....kinda.

Packers are going to run away with the North though and that was already my early prediction. They might win the NFC too.

I think the Lions might give a little competition. Even without Bridgewater I think the Vikings defense could keep them in the game long enough to maybe win a few.

It might not be the run away with the way the Packers played last season?

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Bridgewater's injury has to really bad to go to this extreme

It is indeed bad.  If he were a wide receiver or running back, I would say he would not only miss 2016, but 1/2 or more of 2017.  Since TB is a QB is a run first offense, He could come back a little earlier than the other skill guys, barring any complications.