Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts After Bills-Colts Preseason Game 1

JPFolks

I'd advise the other O Line know it alls speaking on the subject to fall in line with what Gore is speaking on.  Goes for the passing offense as well.  This stuff is not game planned so stop trying to evaluate a guy to the Nth degree in the preseason as if you've seen his whole career flash before your very eyes on 2 plays.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On August 14, 2016 at 2:46 PM, krunk said:

Dude you are sitting here talking like a preseason game is supposed to be crisp and clean with no mistakes and 100 percent execution. Again there were no sacks and the starters played for a quarter or less with no game planning. You want everyone to hit the panick button over less than a quarters worth of play and no game planning. It's ridiculous.

While I appreciate the time JPF took to write a summary of the Colts 1st Preseason game vs the Bills, I gave him a like because of the time he took to do such a lengthy write up. Now, I'm no football film study wizard either & nor do I wish to become one. However, I do agree with krunk that there is a danger in expecting game precision in mid August when this is INDY's real game action. Sloppiness is to be expected & customary as you suggest.

23 hours ago, krunk said:

In the words of Phillip Rivers:

Rivers: Preseason is most overanalyzed 10 plays ever

"To me, the preseason is the most over-analyzed 10 plays or whatever it is -- ever," Chargersquarterback Philip Rivers said, via the San Diego Union-Tribune.

For Rivers, it's mainly about sample size. Ten to 15 plays isn't enough to surmise how an offense will look in a normal game in which it takes around 60 snaps.

"If these plays are really good," he added, "that doesn't mean we're an awesome team yet. If they're terrible, that doesn't mean we're not gonna be awesome."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000684145/article/rivers-preseason-is-most-overanalyzed-10-plays-ever

Thank you for posting this krunk. It drives me nuts when some fans demand flawlessness in the rain this darn early. Now, out of fairness to JPF, he did mention it was our 1st preseason action & it's obvious that he follows veteran & rookie play closely which is cool & all, but I appreciate your reminder krunk that these 4 games are always overblown & don't mean crap in the long run. 

6 hours ago, krunk said:

As for the performance of the running game without him, Gore said there shouldn’t be an overreaction to the running backs’ paltry 10 rushing yards on 19 carries against the Bills.

“You’re not game planning,” Gore said. “If there’s different looks (from the defense), you call different plays. You’re basically looking for technique, does the back know his protections, are guys getting low, are their eyes right?

“We’ll be alright.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/08/15/frank-gore-looks-forward-some-preseason-action/88768940/

Ah yes, perspective...It's a beautiful thing is it? Much obliged Frank & Kunk.

What's highlighted in red speaks volumes. 

On 8/14/2016 at 7:52 PM, Rally5 said:

We drafted 4 Offensive Linemen, so although I'm not a Grigson fan, I don't think it's fair to say Kelly was all we thought we needed.  We added coaches (OL and OC), 4 draftees and have a new scheme.  So perhaps we did recognize there might be a problem..... we'll see don't throw in the towel just yet.

To add to that, not every draft pick is going to hit.  If we get one or two (if we're lucky) solid starters out of this group it will have been worth it.  It will take multiple drafts to build this line from the ashes of the dumpster fire  that it has been.  Too many people think it can all be fixed in one year but that would be naive IMHO.  We should see improvement as they go along. 

Just now, AZColt11 said:

To add to that, not every draft pick is going to hit.  If we get one or two (if we're lucky) solid starters out of this group it will have been worth it.  It will take multiple drafts to build this line from the ashes of the dumpster fire  that it has been.  Too many people think it can all be fixed in one year but that would be naive IMHO.  We should see improvement as they go along. 

Not even a year if not by the first preseason game " The Sky is Falling "

1 minute ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Not even a year if not by the first preseason game " The Sky is Falling "

Yeah I don't get all the negativity so soon.  Hey, I'm all for free speech and everybody has a right to their opinion.  No problem with me.  I just don't know why you'd wanna push the panic button just yet.  It's no different really than what the Titans did in their first game and people saying they will run wild this year.  Let's all breathe, slow down, and (as Rodgers said) R-E-L-A-X.

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Yeah I don't get all the negativity so soon.  Hey, I'm all for free speech and everybody has a right to their opinion.  No problem with me.  I just don't know why you'd wanna push the panic button just yet.  It's no different really than what the Titans did in their first game and people saying they will run wild this year.  Let's all breathe, slow down, and (as Rodgers said) R-E-L-A-X.

Against the Chargers who were 4-12 last year ranked 28'th  & gave up an average of 24 points .

I heard Mark Schlereth on ESPN say the Titans would take the division after just 1 preseason game incredibly stupid comment on his part .

“I think we’re still working through some stuff,” Kelly said. “(The Bills game) wasn’t one of those types of things where you game plan for an entire week, so I think it was more of could we see if all 11 guys could go out there and play together, play as one? So I think we’re headed in the right direction.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Kelly-‘Back-Into-It’-After-First-NFL-Game-Experience/9d9ee23d-2870-4a95-b5b6-f3c3ff905817

I have few thoughts after preseason games.... They mean absolutely nothing. People play bad... They are just tuning up.. People play good... They likely were doing it against 3rd stringers. Unless its obvious ... Like Edges first preseason.. You get very little from these games other than unnecessary injuries.

9 minutes ago, jaymzdean said:

I have few thoughts after preseason games.... They mean absolutely nothing. People play bad... They are just tuning up.. People play good... They likely were doing it against 3rd stringers. Unless its obvious ... Like Edges first preseason.. You get very little from these games other than unnecessary injuries.

Well, the coaches get to evaluate the new guys, but other than that you're right.  I think Phillip Rivers said the games are meaningless after the first 11 snaps.  He may be generous with that number.

To me, three quarters of the game are basically negative sum.  If a guy does good, he's usually doing good against second or third team guys.  So, what does that mean?  If a guy does bad against that competition, it's pretty telling.

The NFL really needs to do something.  Cut the number of preseason games, have more practices instead, increase roster size, etc.  It stinks that people are paying for those games, especially the last one.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Well, the coaches get to evaluate the new guys, but other than that you're right.  I think Phillip Rivers said the games are meaningless after the first 11 snaps.  He may be generous with that number.

To me, three quarters of the game are basically negative sum.  If a guy does good, he's usually doing good against second or third team guys.  So, what does that mean?  If a guy does bad against that competition, it's pretty telling.

The NFL really needs to do something.  Cut the number of preseason games, have more practices instead, increase roster size, etc.  It stinks that people are paying for those games, especially the last one.

I think there is something to this Joint Practice culture NFL teams are getting more into. I don't know if these will somehow replace some preseason games one day but I believe there's some kind of reason why we are seeing more of this.

Pre-Season Bills game:

Thank me later... However, I really did like the play of OT Le'Raven Clark. He set his anchor in pass protection and gave #92 a wall to go through (except @55:28). I want to see more good stuff from Clark, Haeg, and more from Safety TJ Green. I've only watched the offensive possessions. I think Tolzen is garbage compared to QB Morris from THE UUUUUUUUU!

On 8/14/2016 at 1:48 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They've only been blocking against fellow Colts teammates up until last night, & the offensive playcalling was fairly basic, so I'll reserve judgment until I see the whole first team in action for extended playing time. The 3rd preseason game should give some indication as to what we should expect to see come week 1.

Well if you have watched other preseason games you know those teams faced similar difficulties, but quite a few looked really buttoned up and ready to go.  The offense will be worlds better with Luck in there no matter what he has to deal with on the line.  But how long can he last, that is the question.  By the third pre season game we'll be looking at pretty much exactly what our team can and will be game 1.  Game 4 is for hangers on and a simple cash grab by the league since nobody important usually plays.  

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well if you have watched other preseason games you know those teams faced similar difficulties, but quite a few looked really buttoned up and ready to go.  The offense will be worlds better with Luck in there no matter what he has to deal with on the line.  But how long can he last, that is the question.  By the third pre season game we'll be looking at pretty much exactly what our team can and will be game 1.  Game 4 is for hangers on and a simple cash grab by the league since nobody important usually plays.  

how many of those other teams are installing a new offensive scheme, as well as new blocking schemes on the OL with 4+ rookie OL?

Just now, Jason_S said:

how many of those other teams are installing a new offensive scheme, as well as new blocking schemes on the OL with 4+ rookie OL?

well, several teams are dealing with new coaches and all of the above.  I mean I am not saying anything you likely didn't notice if you watched other pre season games.  Not all teams had it together.  The Bears for example were far worse than anything our guys did.  But I also saw a lot of really solid play for a first pre season game.  It's clear we're nowhere near the top teams in readiness.  

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

well, several teams are dealing with new coaches and all of the above.  I mean I am not saying anything you likely didn't notice if you watched other pre season games.  Not all teams had it together.  The Bears for example were far worse than anything our guys did.  But I also saw a lot of really solid play for a first pre season game.  It's clear we're nowhere near the top teams in readiness.  

Considering all of the change in this offseason, that should have been a given.  I for one don't care in the slightest if the colts are nowhere near the top teams in terms of readiness right now at this point in August.  I'll be more concerned if they're just as sloppy in weeks 1 and 2 of the regular season.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Considering all of the change in this offseason, that should have been a given.  I for one don't care in the slightest if the colts are nowhere near the top teams in terms of readiness right now at this point in August.  I'll be more concerned if they're just as sloppy in weeks 1 and 2 of the regular season.

Fair enough.. but if you don't care, why go after my comments? It seems you care a great deal.  

Was just reading this by Danial Jeremiah about our Colts & it reminded me of past years being underestimated is something that has occurred many times in the past by people who think there smarter than everyone else it IMO makes the winning so much sweeter to prove the short sighted simpletons wrong a good read I thought worth sharing .

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Listed-As-No-3-‘Underrated’-Team-Heading-Into-Season/91f2ec03-b482-46eb-8dcb-4d41fe1a7f79

On 8/14/2016 at 6:15 PM, krunk said:

There was one play in particular in the second half. It was an outside run and from what I could tell the responsibility of the OLB(Okine) was to crash down somewhat inside and the ILB was supposed to scrape over the top which Morrison did. Problem was he did not have enough speed to chase the RB down and the play went for a positive gain. Maybe some of this can be negated with play recognition and what not but his speed is a concern of mine. 

Ha! And you're going off on me for over analyzing based on play after play after play.  You pick ONE play and write the above? Hypocrisy to the extreme.  

I only posted about a series of plays to refute how amazing the line played according to others and in response to someone else first posting play by play by play saying everything was awesome.  Good didn't play as well as he stated.  It's just as hypocritical to ignore their accolades about how positive it all was.  Obviously you just wanted to disagree and you don't even follow your own advice as clearly indicated above.  1 play?  Really?  A concern based on a single play? In PreSeason?  Oh the humanity.  Look n the mirror.  

On 8/14/2016 at 10:09 AM, Itsacoltthing said:

Watching this game makes me sick. I sure hope Philbin can clear this O-line up quick. I said it from day one last year that Reitz is not a starter. We draft Kelly and they thought that was all we needed. I know this is our first preseason game, but I felt as if nothing has changed from last year. What frustrates me more than anything is watching Paganos post game speech. I can't believe we gave him and Grigson an extension.

I agree the small amount of the game that I saw the first unit of the OL looked rough. However, they've had what, 14 practices or something? It's a total new offensive blocking scheme and new OC. So, there will be a learning curve. Hopefully it gets better fast. That's the most positive I can bring at the moment lol

I know it's still VERY early and many things can happen, but I really think that the interior of the O line will NOT be a weakness this year like the last few. There are many things to clean up still and also just a matter of cohesion. But I really thought the interior pass blocking, especially against an A gap blitzing fiend like Rex Ryan held up pretty well. And that was WITHOUT any game planning.

To compare, just remember Week 1 of last year.

The Bulk of the pressures were coming from the outside off the two tackles. Reitz and Costanzo.  We know both of these guys can play and again it's preseason so it's a matter of the unit playing together with more snaps and growing.   I personally think Good will be fine at guard.  Are there things to clean up?  Sure, but I think that comes with more snaps, technique work here or there. 

Think it will be even better when we are actually planning the game out.  The guy just made a position switch and has never played that position in a real game until this Bills game.  To think there wouldn't be any mistakes is wrongheaded I believe.   If you are going to make mistakes the preseason is the time to do that.

On another note I think the 2nd play of the game where Ferguson was stopped for no gain was slip up on his part. It appeared to me that there was a hole to the outside. Doyle made a great block on the LB and sealed him in and there was crease outside and Ferguson cut it inside. I think there would have been a nice gain there had he made the proper cut.

19 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

On another note I think the 2nd play of the game where Ferguson was stopped for no gain was slip up on his part. It appeared to me that there was a hole to the outside. Doyle made a great block on the LB and sealed him in and there was crease outside and Ferguson cut it inside. I think there would have been a nice gain there had he made the proper cut.

Yeah there was a time or two I thought Ferguson would have done better if he were more decisive instead of juking and kind of hopping around.

I like that screen pass Turbin had that nice run on.  The screens are what I like about this offense.  You didn't really see Turbin used much in that way in Seattle.  I like that play for him because he's a big dude.  As a defender you really don't want to see a cat like that running in open space behind big offensive lineman coming full speed.  Plus he has a little shiftiness to him.  I think we'll do some things with him in this offense that maybe you didn't see previously.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like that screen pass Turbin had that nice run on.  The screens are what I like about this offense.  You didn't really see Turbin used much in that way in Seattle.  I like that play for him because he's a big dude.  As a defender you really don't want to see a cat like that running in open space behind big offensive lineman coming full speed.  Plus he has a little shiftiness to him.  I think we'll do some things with him in this offense that maybe you didn't see previously.

Yeah I just liked seeing a screen pass in general lol

Honestly, this and the second preseason game have to be taken with a grain of salt in terms of performance. The 3rd game will give some insight as to where this team really is. Until then, it's just evaluating some of the individual talent of the younger players that really matters.

On 8/17/2016 at 6:14 AM, krunk said:

Full Replay of the game is up on YouTube now.  I've gone back and looked at this thing a second time and I still arrive at the same conclusion.  I think it's dishonest to say Good played bad in this game.

Only thing you can really get him for is the mistake on the double A gap blitz, but heck Costanzo and Reitz blew blocks on other plays as well so why are we singling Good out again?.  The run on 3 and 1 (which we converted by the way) where Just Petty Folks claims he got "punked" was a matter of technique and the fact that it's also raining out there.  He got too high trying to turn the guy and he got pushed back a little bit and falls down.  It happens to the best of them.  The other play where Just Petty tells us he supposedly missed a block on a pull didn't happen.  Reitz missed the block and the guy blew up the play.  Good got out to the second level on the linebacker like he was supposed to.  Could have blocked him a little better but the play was really over before he even got out to the second level.  The above is really all you could criticize Good for in this game.  Anything else where you really want to get anal about is really really correctable. 

Cool thanks Krunk,

Didn't know the games were on You Tube going to watch it missed it both time on the NFL network! Looking forward to watching it to actually give an opinion of the game.