Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lots of Colts Info in Today's MMQB from Sports Illustrated....

NewColtsFan

So,  Peter King and other reporters have already been to Anderson.....   and today,  there is lots of new Colts info in King's popular Monday Morning Quarterback Column....

Just click and scroll....      it's NOT all in one place.....      it's all over the column.....     so keep scrolling and you'll likely find more and more...

Enjoy!!      :thmup:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/31/nfl-training-camp-tour-doug-pederson-eagles-andrew-luck-colts?xid=nl_siextra

It is nice to hear that the Colt's coaches are being very thorough in teaching their techniques and new play material. A lot of new coaching faces, yet it seems the player's are responding to the new approach. This has to lead to a better prepared team right? No more horrendous starts to games and/or second halves.

Interesting quote from Luck: When we were installing plays, Schottenheimer installed a play, and as important as the routes on the drawing was the footwork with that play.

I wonder how much of the offense will be Chud and how much will be Schotty (and maybe even Philbin?).  Maybe Schotty just installed a dummy play to get a point across, maybe he has more input into the offense.  Chud, Schotty, and Philbin all have experience calling plays, so I'm interested to see how much input from each guy goes into the playbook

This was interesting to me:

Indianapolis: Joe Philbin, assistant head coach/offensive line. Philbin is back in the trenches, at a major need area for the Colts. Four rookies are expected to make the team on the line, including vital center and first-rounder Ryan Kelly, and Philbin has to get them ready to play at a high level early. In the practice I watched on Thursday, Philbin’s energy was high and his coaching shirt was drenched in the blazing central Indiana sun. One front-office guy told me that Philbin, one of a slew of new assistant hires (Brian Schottenheimer is Andrew Luck’s quarterbacks coach), loves just coaching and not dealing with the other duties of a head coach.

If Philbin doesn't really like to deal with the other duties of being a head coach, then to me it's possible that he'll be with the Colts for a while then similar to Tom Moore.  I highlight this because I don't expect Chud to be here long.  Wouldn't be surprised if Philbin is the next OC whenever Chud leaves.  If that happens it looks like he could be here for a while based on the above comments as it doesn't appear he's all that interested in Head Coaching.  Could be wrong.

53 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Interesting quote from Luck: When we were installing plays, Schottenheimer installed a play, and as important as the routes on the drawing was the footwork with that play.

I wonder how much of the offense will be Chud and how much will be Schotty (and maybe even Philbin?).  Maybe Schotty just installed a dummy play to get a point across, maybe he has more input into the offense.  Chud, Schotty, and Philbin all have experience calling plays, so I'm interested to see how much input from each guy goes into the playbook

I noticed this on Sunday.  A lot of attention being paid to the details, footwork being a great example.  

58 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I liked the little blurb on Ryan Kelly -- where he said he thinks Kelly has a shot at being ROY if he does what the Colts expect him to, and that he was surprised how much responsibility, etc. he has.

Right.  It's a very low probability that any O lineman can be RotY but it's great that he impressed enough to be mentioned.

The other thing I didn't know was that all four of our rookie O linemen were captains and Kelly had the least college starts of the group. 

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Right.  It's a very low probability that any O lineman can be RotY but it's great that he impressed enough to be mentioned.

The other thing I didn't know was that all four of our rookie O linemen were captains and Kelly had the least college starts of the group. 

The fact that all of our drafted rookie OL were captains was shocking (and good news!) to me, as well. 

Although Barrett Jones hasn't panned out in the NFL -- he was an all-SEC caliber center for Alabama and I'm imagining that's why Kelly didn't see the same amount of starts as the others (couple with 'Bama just having overall better lines, making it difficult for one to come in an start at any position as a freshman or sophomore).

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  Peter King and other reporters have already been to Anderson...

Yes, Jeff Rickard and Phil Savage visited Anderson last Friday. They kicked off the Sirius XM NFL radio training camp tour.  All of the NFL radio personalities have split up around the league to cover all 32 teams training camps.  Those with a SiriusXM radio subscription can g back and listen to the recorded show on the SiriusXM NFL radio app.

I'm re-listening today as I get chances as I missed a lot last Friday.

Maybe I'll get a notepad and gather some takeaways, but the show runs for a few hours, I think.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wonder how much of the offense will be Chud and how much will be Schotty (and maybe even Philbin?)

Phil Savage mentioned the playbook is Chud's, and many here know Rob is a Norv Turner disciple; and his variant of the Air Coryell vertical playbook/Scheme..  He also values tight ends, but getting chunk plays mainly through your play makers is the typical M.O.

Philbin and Schotty will teach techniques, and possibly have input into game planning and scheming, but play calling is all Chud.  Nothing at all left over from Pep Hamilton (unlike last year).

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Indianapolis: Joe Philbin, assistant head coach/offensive line. Philbin is back in the trenches, at a major need area for the Colts. Four rookies are expected to make the team on the line, including vital center and first-rounder Ryan Kelly, and Philbin has to get them ready to play at a high level early. In the practice I watched on Thursday, Philbin’s energy was high and his coaching shirt was drenched in the blazing central Indiana sun. One front-office guy told me that Philbin, one of a slew of new assistant hires (Brian Schottenheimer is Andrew Luck’s quarterbacks coach), loves just coaching and not dealing with the other duties of a head coach.

If Philbin doesn't really like to deal with the other duties of being a head coach, then to me it's possible that he'll be with the Colts for a while then similar to Tom Moore.  I highlight this because I don't expect Chud to be here long.  Wouldn't be surprised if Philbin is the next OC whenever Chud leaves.  If that happens it looks like he could be here for a while based on the above comments as it doesn't appear he's all that interested in Head Coaching.  Could be wrong.

Philbin isn't going to get any head coaching offers any time soon.  But beware that another team might poach him for an OC position.  

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, Jeff Rickard and Phil Savage visited Anderson last Friday. They kicked off the Sirius XM NFL radio training camp tour.  All of the NFL radio personalities have split up around the league to cover all 32 teams training camps.  Those with a SiriusXM radio subscription can g back and listen to the recorded show on the SiriusXM NFL radio app.

I'm re-listening today as I get chances as I missed a lot last Friday.

Maybe I'll get a notepad and gather some takeaways, but the show runs for a few hours, I think.

I'm glad you brought this up.  I didn't have a chance to listen live last week so I downloaded it on the app.  Except they never played the part from Colts camp.  I went through every segment. 

I'll try to download it again, maybe they fixed it.  I know the Browns camp segment worked.

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Philbin isn't going to get any head coaching offers any time soon.  But beware that another team might poach him for an OC position.  

If Chud leaves next year I don't see that happening.  Philbin would just take the OC position here with the Colts.. We'd take care of that asap before anyone else could blink. He already loves the Midwest and he would be very familiar with the coaching staff and personnel.  I think he already had a chance to do that(be an OC) with the Giants but chose the Colts.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's already getting paid similar to an OC now between the two coaching roles he does.

37 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Chud leaves next year I don't see that happening.  Philbin would just take the OC position here with the Colts.. We'd take care of that asap before anyone else could blink. He already loves the Midwest and he would be very familiar with the coaching staff and personnel.  I think he already had a chance to do that(be an OC) with the Giants but chose the Colts.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's already getting paid similar to an OC now between the two coaching roles he does.

Philbin is our OL coach and our 'Assistant head coach'.  Chud had titles of 'assistant head coach' and 'associate head coach' prior to becoming our offensive coordinator.  Both the Rams and 49ers were interested in hiring Chud as their OC before last season, but the Colts kept him around under the 'associate HC' title and the Colts also denied other teams from talking to Chud (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-keep-rob-chudzinski-make-him-associate-head-coach/ ).... I could be way off, but I kind of assume that part of the reason why Philbin has the assistant HC title along with the OC title is so the Colts can keep other teams away from him, which is what they did with Chud.

I imagine if our O lights the world on fire this year, Chud will garner some interest as a head coach in other places and that Philbin will garner interest as an OC.  It is interesting to me that Joe Gilbert (our previous OL coach) was kept, but demoted to 'Assitant OL Coach'..... and would make sense to me, if Chud was hired as a head coach elsewhere, that Philbin would move to OC and Gilbert back to OL Coach..... or, if Chud sticks around as OC, the Colts could retain Philbin in his current role or by changing his title from Assistant HC/OL Coach to Associate Head Coach or some other fancy title.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't think people realize how little hands on coaching the HC actually does. It's really and administrative job.

21 hours ago, sreeb2deeni said:

It is nice to hear that the Colt's coaches are being very thorough in teaching their techniques and new play material. A lot of new coaching faces, yet it seems the player's are responding to the new approach. This has to lead to a better prepared team right? No more horrendous starts to games and/or second halves.

Seems to me we are heading in the right direction!

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Phil Savage mentioned the playbook is Chud's, and many here know Rob is a Norv Turner disciple; and his variant of the Air Coryell vertical playbook/Scheme..  He also values tight ends, but getting chunk plays mainly through your play makers is the typical M.O.

Philbin and Schotty will teach techniques, and possibly have input into game planning and scheming, but play calling is all Chud.  Nothing at all left over from Pep Hamilton (unlike last year).

Hopefully he knows what a 11-20 yard passing game is to and not just 21+ trying to get it deep every pass. It also seems with some O Coordinators they fail to have so many plays where a defense has to choose one receiver or another and depending on what the defender does the QB throws the opposite...Such as the Levels concept. A lot of it was Lucks decision making to at times. Bruce Arians had some checkdowns and underneath routes in his offense but Luck locked on deep a lot. That's one of the main things I want to see from Luck. The willingness to come off his first read if it is not there and take the checkdown. Its alright to go short. The bject of offense is to move the chains and score not try to win the game all in one pass in a 60 minute game

I think it is important to remember Chud was the OC for Cam down in Carolina in his first year. Cam was not

the same QB you see now, he has improved immensely, but he had an incredible first year due in large part to

Chud. He tailored the offense to what Cam could do and not do at the time. Same way Shanahan made Griffin III look so good the first year. I believe even if Chud is a Turner disciple, he knows Andrew needs to get the ball out of his hands quicker, and will design plays just for that. In turn, it will set up the deeper throws to our trio of speedsters. I think Chud is actually the perfect OC to help Andrew understand how shorter throws, check downs, and boot legs will help his vertical game. If the receivers stay healthy, and the right side of the line can hold up, I think the offense could be excellent, even the running game. I am looking forward to see if the zone blocking scheme will help the running game. Imagine us having a legit running game. I can't remember the stat, but the last time we had a 100 yd. rushing performance by one back was in the stone age. I think a lot will change this season. I keep going back to the only time Andrew was "relatively" healthy, and Chud was OC was against Carolina and Denver. I believe we will see more of how those games played out, but with quicker starts.