Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeAndre Hopkins declares the Texans 'the team to beat' in AFC South

RockThatBlue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

And I know this has nothing to do with the Texans...but I really think there is a better chance that the Jags are gonna fall below people's expectations this year and disappoint more than there is the chance they will take people by storm and blow people away. People are putting waaaaayyy to much hype into them in my opinion. They got only 5 wins last year with a better offense than the Colts and Thier defense statistically was pretty close to the Colts. Yet because they got Malik Jackson and 3-4 sexy draft picks everyone wants to say they are the team to beat all the sudden. What have those draft picks done or shown in the pros yet that says they are gonna make the Jags defense sooooooo much better immediately??? The answer to that is NOTHING!!!

To be fair there are other factors as to why they are being touted as the team to beat. They have a good core of players, but they are all fairly young. last year, in conjunction with this offseason, Will help them improve (as consistency was their offenses issue last year), meaning we are likely to see an even better offense this year. 

Also they got more then Malik this offseason. They got Gipson,  who is a pretty solid safety and will help their young group grow in the back end. Also got a punter from the Panthers who looks solid,  which doesn't sound like much, but field position Is very important for a team, especially one that has consistency issues (if you win field position,  it's obviously less they have to travel for Tds, and less opportunity for them to screw up/ stall the drives). They also got a pretty solid (albeit oft injured) cb in Amukamara AND the AFC rushing leader in Chris Ivory.  add in a few decent o lineman to keep Bortles up, and that looks like a solid free agent class. 

Finally they will be getting production not only out of their decent draft class this year, but will also have their first round pick, Fowler, back from injury. This essentially gives them ANOTHER top 5 draft talent to develop,  along with the arguable two they got this year. 

Its not just about the couple flashy players they grabbed. They set themselves up for present and future success this offseason (and last offseason tbh) with almost a dozen good additions.

Ps: i am not saying I think they will be a superbowl contender this year, or even win the division. I think this year they end up  around 7-9 and third in the division. But honestly I can understand where all the critics are coming from when they rave about the offseason the Jags had. I think if half these additions from this year and last pan out, they will be a regular Contender for our division by the start of the 2018 season (at the latest).  that being said I think we are doing fine to keep pace, so long as we get the same amount of players panning out for us from our additions. I'm excited about this, as it's nice to have competition in the division again. Makes things interesting.  

Texans will finish 3rd in division. Deandre Hopkins and Lamar Miller are the only proven offensive pieces on their team. I'm still not sold on Osweiler yet. It will be interesting to see him perform without Peyton Manning on the sidelines.

Colts

Jags
Texans

Titans

4 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

To be fair there are other factors as to why they are being touted as the team to beat. They have a good core of players, but they are all fairly young. last year, in conjunction with this offseason, Will help them improve (as consistency was their offenses issue last year), meaning we are likely to see an even better offense this year. 

Also they got more then Malik this offseason. They got Gipson,  who is a pretty solid safety and will help their young group grow in the back end. Also got a punter from the Panthers who looks solid,  which doesn't sound like much, but field position Is very important for a team, especially one that has consistency issues (if you win field position,  it's obviously less they have to travel for Tds, and less opportunity for them to screw up/ stall the drives). They also got a pretty solid (albeit oft injured) cb in Amukamara AND the AFC rushing leader in Chris Ivory.  add in a few decent o lineman to keep Bortles up, and that looks like a solid free agent class. 

Finally they will be getting production not only out of their decent draft class this year, but will also have their first round pick, Fowler, back from injury. This essentially gives them ANOTHER top 5 draft talent to develop,  along with the arguable two they got this year. 

Its not just about the couple flashy players they grabbed. They set themselves up for present and future success this offseason (and last offseason tbh) with almost a dozen good additions.

Ps: i am not saying I think they will be a superbowl contender this year, or even win the division. I think this year they end up  around 7-9 and third in the division. But honestly I can understand where all the critics are coming from when they rave about the offseason the Jags had. I think if half these additions from this year and last pan out, they will be a regular Contender for our division by the start of the 2018 season (at the latest).  that being said I think we are doing fine to keep pace, so long as we get the same amount of players panning out for us from our additions. I'm excited about this, as it's nice to have competition in the division again. Makes things interesting.  

In saying what I said I wasn't trying to say they won't improve at all. I definitely think they are getting better, no doubt. My point really was that the extreme hype of them winning the division all of the sudden and all that is waaaaayyy overblown. Like I said they still only had 5 wins last year. Colts were still plus 3 on them without our Franchise guy, with a horrid O line and a defense that was basically left out to dry for over half the season. Oh and we had a horrid offensive coordinator. We worse offensively then them and about the same defensivley and yet still had a better season. And yes they did add more than just the draft picks and Jackson. But saying all those guys are gonna come in and play well immediately and help the team jump 4-5 wins is a stretch to me. Could it happen, sure. But I doubt it, and the Jags have never really been able to put it all together. They have alot to prove and put together to really make the jump that people are hyping them up to make. And people need to realize it's not like just the Jags are improving and every other team is getting worse in our division so it's suddenly gonna be easier for them to win. The other teams in our division are improving too which means it's gonna get just as hard for the Jags to win in the division as it is anyone else. And I've said this a number of times already, but I think there is better chance the colts see more immediate improvement from the moves they made then the Jags do from thier moves. And 7-9 is about wherror I think the Jags will be as well. That's reasonable.

They are the team to beat because they are defending champs.  So lets go beat them. . . That's all.

Saying that your team is factually the defending champs and therefore the team to beat this year hardly qualifies as even trash talking.

You guys lost Luck. Yes. With Luck, you most likely would have beat us in Indy... yes. With Luck, you may have won 3 or 4 more games... sure. 

We also lost Foster. We may have won 3 or 4 more games with Foster. We definitely wouldn't have been asking Hoyer to thro

Who knows? 

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Texans wouldn't know anything about that

I don't think any team celebrates coming in second place in their conference. Also you're getting predictable. 

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't like the finalist banner,    but that wasn't the point.   You tried taking a shot about division banners when team hangs them as well.    Just not nearly as many as the Colts have

I didn't try taking a shot at anything. I used facts to illustrate my message. 

On 5/17/2016 at 1:30 AM, weslo1812 said:

And I know this has nothing to do with the Texans...but I really think there is a better chance that the Jags are gonna fall below people's expectations this year and disappoint more than there is the chance they will take people by storm and blow people away. People are putting waaaaayyy to much hype into them in my opinion. They got only 5 wins last year with a better offense than the Colts and Thier defense statistically was pretty close to the Colts. Yet because they got Malik Jackson and 3-4 sexy draft picks everyone wants to say they are the team to beat all the sudden. What have those draft picks done or shown in the pros yet that says they are gonna make the Jags defense sooooooo much better immediately??? The answer to that is NOTHING!!!

Clown school?
 They signed a safety who has played at a high level.
 They now have 2  quality running backs.
 They signed a LT.
  They signed a decent CB.
   Yes Dante Fowler, Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack all look to be STUDS.

18 minutes ago, Restored said:

You take shots at the Colts for having division championship banners yet you list all the years the Texans won the division in your signature. Oh the irony.

Like I said...I didn't take a shot. And I don't have AFC Wild Card Weekend Runner Ups in my signature so...yeah. I'm not the first person who isn't in love with the banner. 

2 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Like I said...I didn't take a shot. And I don't have AFC Wild Card Weekend Runner Ups in my signature so...yeah. I'm not the first person who isn't in love with the banner. 

Yeah you did. Regardless of your intent, it was a shot. Perception is reality and consensus is that it was a shot. Albeit a failure of a shot considering the Texans have them too..

42 minutes ago, Restored said:

Yeah you did. Regardless of your intent, it was a shot. Perception is reality and consensus is that it was a shot. Albeit a failure of a shot considering the Texans have them too..

If you took it that way, my bad, it wasn't my intent. I was trying to make my point clear to crazy colt. I do see how it sounded, but that part of the post was necessary for what I was trying to get across to him. 

The team that wins the division is always the team to beat. So yes the Texans are the team to beat in the AFC South.

However, they are one of the worst teams in the AFC as a whole, and the path to the Super Bowl does not go through them. The Chiefs proved that by showing they had no business in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Not that I am getting in the debate here but its a fact that often times perception is nowhere close to reality

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At least we have made the AFC Finals. When the Texans do give me a call. I personally loved the banner because the point of it to me anyway is to show the team that beat us cheated.

How is that the point of it? And that's an honest question. I've never made the connection. I'm glad you like it. To me, and plenty of others, it is silly. Nothing wrong with having an opinion.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The team that wins the division is always the team to beat. So yes the Texans are the team to beat in the AFC South.

However, they are one of the worst teams in the AFC as a whole, and the path to the Super Bowl does not go through them. The Chiefs proved that by showing they had no business in the playoffs.

The team the Chiefs beat in the playoffs is completely different to the team we'll be seeing this year. Whether they are better or worse has yet to be determined, but one of the worst teams in the AFC? That's a bit of an overstatement.

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

How is that the point of it? And that's an honest question. I've never made the connection. I'm glad you like it. To me, and plenty of others, it is silly. Nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Because the Pats cheated and it was proven and the NFL is now even making Tom serve his suspension. In any sport if you cheat you should be disquilfied just like in the Olympics. Ben Johnson won Gold but then he was found cheating so they took his Gold away. That should be a Conference Championship Banner in reality because the Pats cheated but in Pro sports they don't take wins away. Pats did have the better team but they cheated.

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because the Pats cheated and it was proven and the NFL is now even making Tom serve his suspension. In any sport if you cheat you should be disquilfied just like in the Olympics. Ben Johnson won Gold but then he was found cheating so they took his Gold away. That should be a Conference Championship Banner in reality because the Pats cheated but in Pro sports they don't take wins away. Pats did have the better team but they cheated.

Yeah, like others have said before, the Patriots would've won either way. I'm glad the NFL doesn't do anything as extreme as taking wins away. This isn't college. What's in the past is in the past. Thanks for explaining what you were getting at though and clearing everything up. 

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Clown school?
 They signed a safety who has played at a high level.
 They now have 2  quality running backs.
 They signed a LT.
  They signed a decent CB.
   Yes Dante Fowler, Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack all look to be STUDS.

You just gave the jags more praise than you probably ever have the colts lol

9 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

The team the Chiefs beat in the playoffs is completely different to the team we'll be seeing this year. Whether they are better or worse has yet to be determined, but one of the worst teams in the AFC? That's a bit of an overstatement.

It's not an overstatement. It's a "until proven otherwise statement " . They barely won the division and got thoroughly embarrassed during the regular season. They got smacked by the Dolphins and Falcons, neither of which made the playoffs. They couldn't even beat Matt Hasselback coming off a hospital bed in Houston.

They've had a nice offseason but they are still jokes until they show people they can be competitive in every game and not just win the AFC South when Peyton or Luck is injured.