Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Mora

number28

1998 3-13 Manning rookie year

1999 13-3

2000 10-6

2001 6-10 we all know what happened there

Prior to all this he has amazing coaching stats with NO. Hall of Fame type stats.

....all in all not too shabby at all, the dude knew how to motivate, had personality, pizazzz, flash etc...

many Caldwell haters want a coach with some emotions. Mora is that guy!

1998 3-13 Manning rookie year

1999 13-3

2000 10-6

2001 6-10 we all know what happened there

Prior to all this he has amazing coaching stats with NO. Hall of Fame type stats.

....all in all not too shabby at all, the dude knew how to motivate, had personality, pizazzz, flash etc...

many Caldwell haters want a coach with some emotions. Mora is that guy!

0-6 in the playoffs. Plus, I don't think that any coach has ever been re-hired to the same team.

I also think it would be a step back in the rebuilding process.

what do you guys think about Mora returning and coaching this team?

What? No, just no. It didn't work the first time I see no reason to think it would 11 years later when he hasn't coached in 11 years. I can understand why people want to bring back Dungy. We won a Super Bowl with him. We never even won a playoff game with Mora. I mean his team feel apart and he HAD a healthy Peyton Manning. At least Caldwell can say he didn't have Manning when the team feel apart under him.

What? No, just no. It didn't work the first time I see no reason to think it would 11 years later when he hasn't coached in 11 years. I can understand why people want to bring back Dungy. We won a Super Bowl with him. We never even won a playoff game with Mora. I mean his team feel apart and he HAD a healthy Peyton Manning. At least Caldwell can say he didn't have Manning when the team feel apart under him.

yeah but Mora had a wet behing the ears Manning in development stages and still had 13 - 3 and 10 -6 seasons.

Imagine what would have happened Mora with manning in his prime.

btw, he coached up until 03-04, he was DC with 49ers

yeah but Mora had a wet behing the ears Manning in development stages and still had 13 - 3 and 10 -6 seasons.

Imagine what would have happened Mora with manning in his prime.

btw, he coached up until 03-04, he was DC with 49ers

That was Jim Mora Jr. his son.

Mora lost this team and had ZERO defense. That's why he was fired and we went out and got Dungy because he was too stuburn to fire his DC and people complain about Caldwell not being willing to make a change, at least he would fire his DC when it was clear it wasn't working.

Sorry bringing back a guy who was .500 as your coach in the first place and has never won a playoff game in his career and has not coached in 11 years is not the answer.

Mora lost this team and had ZERO defense. That's why he was fired and we went out and got Dungy because he was too stuburn to fire his DC and people complain about Caldwell not being willing to make a change, at least he would fire his DC when it was clear it wasn't working.

Sorry bringing back a guy who was .500 as your coach in the first place and has never won a playoff game in his career and has not coached in 11 years is not the answer.

I dont agree....how do you explain 13 - 3 and 10 - 6 seasons with possibly the worst defense in the history of the game? you dont remember how bad they were? worse than anything we have now. Give the guy some credit he deserves.

Oh, and he didnt play the stinkin cover 2

I dont agree....how do you explain 13 - 3 and 10 - 6 seasons with possibly the worst defense in the history of the game? you dont remember how bad they were? worse than anything we have now. Give the guy some credit he deserves.

It wasn't the worst defense in the history of the game.

The 13-3 season I explain by the Colts coming on and playing a last place schedule which is why they dropped back to the 10-6 season.

The defense the first couple of years was pretty good because Polian went out and brought in a bunch of vet free agent defensive players and we had some aging defensive players left over the mini run with Harbaugh and the crew before Manning got here when the Colts were a defensive team. Those players got old and they system feel apart when the Colts had to start replacing them with younger guys. The new guys couldn't grasp Fango's system and it bit us hard in Mora's last year and then all Mora had to do to keep his job was fire Fango and bring in a new DC and he refused to do it. Again people complained about Caldwell not being willing to change...

Also say what you will about the cover-2 but it won us a Super Bowl and several playoff games something Jim Mora's defense never did. Also there are plunty of coaches out there besides Jim Mora that would use another sytle of defense.

Mora is not the right guy for this job. I understand people are trying to think outside the box on this one but that one will not happen.

We never even won a playoff game with Mora. I mean his team feel apart and he HAD a healthy Peyton Manning. At least Caldwell can say he didn't have Manning when the team feel apart under him.

I've never been a fan or supporter of Jim Mora but in his defense, comparing the early, rebuilding years with Manning to Manning in his prime is not a fair comparison.

Wait, so it's okay to field the worst defense in the history of the game (your words, not mine) as long as they don't play cover 2 while sucking?

The new guys couldn't grasp Fango's system and it bit us hard in Mora's last year and then all Mora had to do to keep his job was fire Fango and bring in a new DC and he refused to do it. Again people complained about Caldwell not being willing to change...

Again in Mora's defense (why am I defending this guy so much today?), Fangio is the defensive coordinator for the 49ers right now, right? Maybe Fangio wasn't the problem.

I've never been a fan or supporter of Jim Mora but in his defense, comparing the early, rebuilding years with Manning to Manning in his prime is not a fair comparison.

Wait, so it's okay to field the worst defense in the history of the game (your words, not mine) as long as they don't play cover 2 while sucking?

Again in Mora's defense (why am I defending this guy so much today?), Fangio is the defensive coordinator for the 49ers right now, right? Maybe Fangio wasn't the problem.

Like all things you have to have the right players to fit your system. The Colts did not because Fangio's defense is thought to be complex and requires more experienced players. The Colts did not have those at the time and did not plan to go get them which is why they felt they wanted to go with a more simple defense than what Fangio was running (all of this came out after Fangio was fired so it's not my word it's what people who get paid to cover this stuff were saying). Fangio also went to the Texans after he left here and ran into the same problem in that his players couldn't grasp his system. Now he's with the 49ers who have the right kind of players for his system. Fangio was no longer the right fit here and Mora refused to make that change. Thus the Colts fired him.

http://specials.tribstar.com/ColtsSeason2001/January9A.html

That is a great write up of why Fangio and Mora were fired and Bill Polian pretty much says we had to make a switch with our defensive system because we couldn't afford to go get the vet players Fangio's system requires. He even goes out of his way to say Fangio is a good coach and his system is a good system just that his system no longer worked here and wasn't going to work here because we couldn't go get the players it required.

Peyton Manning wasn't the problem under Mora. While he might not have been as good as he was in his later years he was still putting up close to 30 points a game. That's why I don't listen to people who try to say well Mora had baby Manning. He did but baby Manning was still one of the best QBs in the NFL and this was before teams figured out how good he was and how good Marvin Harrison was and would do things like give him single coverage on Marvin and when Manning had the league's leading rusher for two years. The offense would have been the same under Mora because Dungy kept Mora's offensive coaches and even said he didn't touch the offense when he came in. The issue was the defense and I don't think Mora was going to improve the defense the way Dungy did. Also people can complain about Dungy's playoff record but he's done two things Mora never did win a playoff game and win a Super Bowl.

What game did he do that after? Anyone know?

What is San Fransico for 300 Alex.Mora would have improved the defense, but it would have come at cost to the offense. Maybe we wouldn't have been able to retain some of the weapons we did. Maybe would have had a more balanced attack. Maybe we would have won more than one Super Bowl.Nobody can offer up a fact in either direction. He was fired and not given a chance. I wouldn't see him returning, but he would be an upgrade to what we have had here as HC.

What you fail to mention, is the fact that Mora wouldnt fire his defensive coordinator BECAUSE he told Polian that it wasnt the coach's fault, it was the lack of defensive talent that Polian gave him to work with...and looking at how that SAME defensive coordinator has a top ranked D in San Francisco now, i tend to agree with Mora...even more so, when you consider what an overall lack of talent Polian has given this team on defense over the years.

I see a sudden shift towards a positive direction.

So it would be a clear upgrade if Mora was coaching this team. I rest my case.

No your case was we should hire him as the next coach and that isn't going to happen.

what do you guys think about Mora returning and coaching this team?

What you fail to mention, is the fact that Mora wouldnt fire his defensive coordinator BECAUSE he told Polian that it wasnt the coach's fault, it was the lack of defensive talent that Polian gave him to work with...and looking at how that SAME defensive coordinator has a top ranked D in San Francisco now, i tend to agree with Mora...even more so, when you consider what an overall lack of talent Polian has given this team on defense over the years.

What do you mean failed to mention it? Did you read my follow up post where I said Fangio system didn't work because we didn't have the right kind of players for it? Then explained why we didn't have the right kinds of players for it? We didn't have them because we didn't the money to go get the vet players it required and Polian knew we weren't going to have the money because of the contracts coming up with Peyton Manning, Edge, Marvin Harrison, Glenn, and other players that had become key to us winning.

Fangio is also the same DC who went to the Texans right after leaving here and didn't do a good job there and had to go down to the college ranks after that job because he couldn't get a NFL job till Harbaugh came along. Look at the time his system wasn't working here and Polian knew it wasn't going to work because we didn't have the money to make it work. So Mora is right because Fangio has a good defense with a different team 11 years later after we set the NFL record for winning in a decade and won a Super Bowl while Fangio was doing what exactly for the past 11 years? Helping us set that record for winning while coaching for the Texans and frankly in most games having Peyton Manning and our offense pick his defense apart. Then having to leave the NFL because he couldn't get a job as a DC. Look I am glad Fangio is having a good year now but it doesn't mean we made the wrong choice when we let Mora go. If we had kept Fangio we still wouldn't have had the players his system needed and people would still have been screaming about the defense. Fangio's a good coach just wasn't a good fit here at the time and just because he had a good season 11 years later doesn't make him a good fit then.

Lindy Infante had the late Jimmie Johnson as his DC here so clearly he know talent in coaches and didn't get to coach Peyton Manning in his prime either should we give him another shot too while we are bringing back old coaches because their DCs did a good job at another job later in their careers?

0-6 in the playoffs. Plus, I don't think that any coach has ever been re-hired to the same team.
Ted Marchibroda for the Colts!? Come on guys. You call yourselves real fans? Or is it true fans? I'm not sure. I won't know until Jaric writes his manifesto.

And Joe Gibbs for the Redskins, right?

I see a sudden shift towards a positive direction.

So it would be a clear upgrade if Mora was coaching this team. I rest my case.

Dude, why on earth would you want to bring Jim Mora, Sr back to coach the Colts? I hope this is a joke, but to play along, can you name one logical reason why it's a good idea? I can name a bunch why it is not; I'll give you three: #1) He is 76/77 years old...that is boarding on JoPa territory. No way a person that age can keep up with the rigors of the NFL in 2012; #2) He has a decent career record but has tanked out in both Indy and NO; meaning he never has been able to sustain success; #3) He's 0-6 in the playoffs.

What do you mean failed to mention it? Did you read my follow up post where I said Fangio system didn't work because we didn't have the right kind of players for it? Then explained why we didn't have the right kinds of players for it? We didn't have them because we didn't the money to go get the vet players it required and Polian knew we weren't going to have the money because of the contracts coming up with Peyton Manning, Edge, Marvin Harrison, Glenn, and other players that had become key to us winning.

Fangio is also the same DC who went to the Texans right after leaving here and didn't do a good job there and had to go down to the college ranks after that job because he couldn't get a NFL job till Harbaugh came along. Look at the time his system wasn't working here and Polian knew it wasn't going to work because we didn't have the money to make it work. So Mora is right because Fangio has a good defense with a different team 11 years later after we set the NFL record for winning in a decade and won a Super Bowl while Fangio was doing what exactly for the past 11 years? Helping us set that record for winning while coaching for the Texans and frankly in most games having Peyton Manning and our offense pick his defense apart. Then having to leave the NFL because he couldn't get a job as a DC. Look I am glad Fangio is having a good year now but it doesn't mean we made the wrong choice when we let Mora go. If we had kept Fangio we still wouldn't have had the players his system needed and people would still have been screaming about the defense. Fangio's a good coach just wasn't a good fit here at the time and just because he had a good season 11 years later doesn't make him a good fit then.

Lindy Infante had the late Jimmie Johnson as his DC here so clearly he know talent in coaches and didn't get to coach Peyton Manning in his prime either should we give him another shot too while we are bringing back old coaches because their DCs did a good job at another job later in their careers?

mod edit

Mora's career stats are amazing. He is a great coach. Awesome talent. You are just upset that he is so darn good. You are listening to ESPN too much. Maybe you are upset about the whole "playoffs?" rant. I actually agree with everything he said when he broke down that day. That team was pathetic and all he did was say the truth.

Fangio is a genuis and you know that. You are also jealous of that. You are upset that he is successful now.

There was a question about a coach being rehired by the same team. Ted Marchibroda coached for the Colts twice I believe and Joe Gibbs coached for the Redskins twice.

Art Shell also

Edited by shecolt
disrepectful to another member

I hoestly don't know why some people even ask these silly questions.

"Hey I have an idea, lets bring back a retread that failed terribly his 1st time here" :facepalm:

Do bad ideas just pop into people's heads and they feel they have to share them with the world?

FAIL