Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

Dakish is saying on 1070 the fan reports are now are that... Tressel will NOT be hired.

Who knows this is the same local media that was reporting a week ago that Spags was coming in as DC and Caldwell was safe and then a few hours later Caldwell was fired...

I mean don't get me wrong I respect the local media but they aren't always right and I do think there is something to the theory that Grigson is trying to figure out who the leak is at the Colts complex because it's pretty clear there was a leak during the Polian time there and Grigson could be letting out "news" to see if someone leaks it.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are so hypocritical! It is really disgusting.

Bill Bellickick clearly cheated a while ago, there was speculation there were witnesses and even evidence, and the NFL dismissed this claims

\

The NFL fined the Pats $250,000, fined Belichick $500,000, and docked a first round pick. Are we talking legal charges? Because I don't know what laws were broken.

Michael Vick murdered dogs like there was no tomorrow and now it's forgotten

While I disagree with the sentence, Vick served the time he was required to. I'm not sure what the NFL is supposed to do.

I agree with the rest of it, but I don't think the initial premises are true.

I agree with the rest of it, but I don't think the initial premises are true.

This guy was suspended, he even asked for his suspension to be equal to that of his players ( I THINK THAT'S A PLAYERS GUY, LEADER ETC)

He was suspended for seven games when he came into the NFL, I don't know if he was fined, I know he can't coach at the college level until 2017.

He has also "served" his time...

This guy was suspended, he even asked for his suspension to be equal to that of his players ( I THINK THAT'S A PLAYERS GUY, LEADER ETC)

He was suspended for seven games when he came into the NFL, I don't know if he was fined, I know he can't coach at the college level until 2017.

He has also "served" his time...

And I agree with that. I think the Tressel infractions are a bit overblown, but I'm still trying to figure out how you think Belichick and Vick got off easy or something. One was fined more than any coach in NFL history, cost his team an extra $250,000, and had to give up a first rounder. The only charges that were brought up was a $100 million dollar lawsuit from a safety of the Rams, who's own lawyer dropped it due to the impossible nature of getting the tapes/records.

My point was that your premise is wrong. You don't need to attack two people who took their punishment to argue Tressel's case. It's actually counterproductive when you seem to imply that those guys somehow got off, reputation untarnished, and Tressel is being drug through the mud. Keep in mind that this is the season directly after. Vick and Belichick still had it really bad at this point, with Vick having it really bad into his first season back.

There were five or six teams in need of head coaches.

But only the Colts have all these conflicting stories and wild rumors.

Oh I am sure if we went to those other teams fan forums we would see a lot of what we see here. Don't forget Fisher was going to be the Rams coach one day and the Phins coach the next and then back to the Rams for what a week?

Tressel-ball - winning games with just enough scoring, strong defense, and playing field position.

What's wrong with this? Scoring wouldn't be a problem with Peyton. I like the sound of Tressel the more I read about him.

In most interviews, he credits the seniors on the team, foregoing praise for his younger players, in an attempt to promote those who have dedicated themselves to the Ohio State football program for a number of years.

Loyal to the Seniority first. I like that.

At the very worst, he is Marty Schottenheimer and the very best he is Coughlin.

I cannot believe the arguments on here over Tressel. Look he was a good college coach no doubt, but he has no NFL coaching experience. Do we really need a rookie GM, rookie QB, and rookie coach? If they decide to draft Andrew Luck or any college QB for that matter and rebuild this team, you will need some form of stability.

We need a savy veteran coach with NFL experience that can put this team back on track. Just like Grigson stated "they want a leader of men" well Tressel is not a leader of men in my opinion. How are you to lead men when you cannot even lead yourself in the right direction?

Throw Three rookies into situation like this one and you usually get one big mess that just does not wipe up easily.

At the very worst, he is Marty Schottenheimer and the very best he is Coughlin.

I'd take Marty right now... even @ 68. He has NEVER had the gift of a true "stud" QB. Yet always wins.

Oh a very young Rivers, who SD kicked a "very young" Brees to the curb for. .... Marty goes 14-2 and loses by 3 in the playoffs to Mia and gets fired by the "genious" AJ Smith. Who traded a SB winning QB in Brees away for an unproven one in Rivers.

Wow.. i totally forgot the whole SD Brees vs Rivers controversy. Looks like SD got the right coach... heeh.. Turner and the right QB.. Rivers.

Marty would have had a great run for the Chargers if they just would have stuck with him. AJS and the Chargers have gotten ecaxtly what they deserve.

I cannot believe the arguments on here over Tressel. Look he was a good college coach no doubt, but he has no NFL coaching experience. Do we really need a rookie GM, rookie QB, and rookie coach? If they decide to draft Andrew Luck or any college QB for that matter and rebuild this team, you will need some form of stability.

We need a savy veteran coach with NFL experience that can put this team back on track. Just like Grigson stated "they want a leader of men" well Tressel is not a leader of men in my opinion. How are you to lead men when you cannot even lead yourself in the right direction?

Throw Three rookies into situation like this one and you usually get one big mess that just does not wipe up easily.

I bet every team looking for a coach wants this...

WHO? Those who are unemployed are unemployed for a reason. And the ones with no experience have not been given a chance.

WHO? would make you happy? Cowher? Brian B? Gruden?

WHO? In my mind Indy is looking at Zimm or Tress.. and factually they are the most realistic candidates. Outside of the "savy vets" who don't want to get into the grind again.

Bring in Zimm or Tress and surround them with a "savy vet" NFL STAFF and Indy will see a winner real quick again.

I think the key is that he's a very successful manager. He won't be play calling the offense or the defense he'll be managing the team. I think they need a no none sense DC and an innovative OC. If Grigson can fill those two roles then Tressel makes real sense here. I'm a Michigan fanatic and as a Colts fan, can compartmentalize the fact that I hate OSU and what may be best for Indy is the former HC at OSU. Jim Tressel is a motivator and a good guy who made a mistake. He could be as good or as I suspect, better than he was at OSU

I think the key is that he's a very successful manager. He won't be play calling the offense or the defense he'll be managing the team. I think they need a no none sense DC and an innovative OC. If Grigson can fill those two roles then Tressel makes real sense here. I'm a Michigan fanatic and as a Colts fan, can compartmentalize the fact that I hate OSU and what may be best for Indy is the former HC at OSU. Jim Tressel is a motivator and a good guy who made a mistake. He could be as good or as I suspect, better than he was at OSU

Right On..

I just heard John Clayton report Tressel will get another interview for HC. I'll be on board if selected (I'm a Boilemaker, but Pro foot ball fan first). I don't want him messing with the O or O staff too much, but HC and peeking in on the D, I'm good.

I bet Purdue fan would embrace a "Gold and Black" sweater vest? ahhhh?

Unless this is a really involved smoke screen, I think Tress will get a shot. And he is deserving as anyone.

I bet every team looking for a coach wants this...

WHO? Those who are unemployed are unemployed for a reason. And the ones with no experience have not been given a chance.

WHO? would make you happy? Cowher? Brian B? Gruden?

WHO? In my mind Indy is looking at Zimm or Tress.. and factually they are the most realistic candidates. Outside of the "savy vets" who don't want to get into the grind again.

Bring in Zimm or Tress and surround them with a "savy vet" NFL STAFF and Indy will see a winner real quick again.

John first let me say, I always enjoy your posts. They are always thought out very well.

I actually have no particular preference when it comes to coaches except I think he needs NFL experience. I can live with Zimmer, but not Tress (you know I would if I had to) :) I know that Zimm has no NFL HC experience either but at least he has been in the game and has proven he can lead men. He turned around a pretty bad Cincy defense and has been in the NFL for I believe 14 years.

Tressel ball Beating teams like Indiana, (no offense) Ohio, Kent state, and Cincy along the way to winning a National title does not a superbowl make.

Dungy.... "I think Jim Irsay has his man in mind. It may be Jim Tressel, that's what I'm hearing."

Grady and Big Joe said the same this morning.

DD has no "inside" info but thinks it can happen. And Tress would be a good choice.

JMV in his normal "gloom and doom" lose Manning and make an unpopular hire and nobody in Indy will ever attend another Pro FB game again. "THIS IS AN ASININE THOUGHT"

I like JMV but he is so off base here. Andrew Luck and W's will make Indy forget about one PM real quick. See Green Bay or SF for reference.

Dungy.... "I think Jim Irsay has his man in mind. It may be Jim Tressel, that's what I'm hearing."

Grady and Big Joe said the same this morning.

DD has no "inside" info but thinks it can happen. And Tress would be a good choice.

JMV in his normal "gloom and doom" lose Manning and make an unpopular hire and nobody in Indy will ever attend another Pro FB game again. "THIS IS AN ASININE THOUGHT"

I like JMV but he is so off base here. Andrew Luck and W's will make Indy forget about one PM real quick. See Green Bay or SF for reference.

I agree with you on most things, but not that.

John first let me say, I always enjoy your posts. They are always thought out very well.

I actually have no particular preference when it comes to coaches except I think he needs NFL experience. I can live with Zimmer, but not Tress (you know I would if I had to) :) I know that Zimm has no NFL HC experience either but at least he has been in the game and has proven he can lead men. He turned around a pretty bad Cincy defense and has been in the NFL for I believe 14 years.

Tressel ball Beating teams like Indiana, (no offense) Ohio, Kent state, and Cincy along the way to winning a National title does not a superbowl make.

this is what I don't get... Jim T will NOT come to ANY pro team and run a "ground and pound" college O..... Because he will have a QB better than Krenzel, Pryor, Smith, or who ever.... and when he had Smith and Krenz OSU ran a "Pro style" O

Tress is a very smart man, he would surround himself with "Pro level" coordinators.. I would thik Cam Cameron would look good as Colt OC... or as DD and Kravitz said today.. they think who ever is hired ... Clyde is back.

It will all work out...

I agree with you on most things, but not that.

heeh..ee. .. perhaps I exagerated a tad... Peyton will always be a part of Indy... But Tarkington, Montana, Unitas, Stabler, and on and on... Great QB's do get let go or just leave.... It doesn't make the Colt org any less or better.

Like The Godfather says... "It's just business"...

I also concur....the funny thing is no matter how you look at it PM lead us to glory and in every respect he (being gone) lead us to this NO 1 pick heh.

In 10 years we will all look back and think how "LUCKY" Indy was to have our franchise leader get hurt. It saved this team 10+ years of "rebuilding" on the fly.

QB is everything in todays NFL.... We (Colt fans) will see this in the very near future. When Manning is gone, we already have actually.

I think Indy hit the lottery getting this seasons #1 pick. I was all for trading it ... but not now. The more I have watched and read about Luck. He will be a blessing.

In 10 years we will all look back and think how "LUCKY" Indy was to have our franchise leader get hurt. It saved this team 10+ years of "rebuilding" on the fly.

QB is everything in todays NFL.... We (Colt fans) will see this in the very near future. When Manning is gone, we already have actually.

I think Indy hit the lottery getting this seasons #1 pick. I was all for trading it ... but not now. The more I have watched and read about Luck. He will be a blessing.

Think you hit the nail on the head man. Now all we need is for Irsay to say Tressel is hired so I can rip BBS a new one.

An interesting read on all of Tressle's Violations:

http://allsportsever...-of-violations/

Please find me a "major" collge football program that doesn't have "violations"....

Sigh... geez... Paterno put up with a child molester for 15 years yet some are acting like Tress killed his QB after a L...

I don't get it. None of these programs are "free" of incedint. None of them.