Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Combine mock Draft by Pat Kirwan

Pat Kirwan is a senior media analyst these days, but he began his NFL career in 1972 after coaching at the high school and college football level. He spent time as a scout with a variety of franchises before finally advancing to a director of player administration, where he negotiated contracts and managed the salary cap. Kirwan's credentials are quite impressive and his array of contacts equally so.

When it comes to putting a mock draft together, Kirwan has more than enough experience having done the real thing for many years and after spending last week at the NFL scouting combine, took the all the information he had gleaned and put it into his latest mock as he explained:

“This week’s mock draft is a reaction to all the things I learned at the Combine. Medical information and character issues did affect my decisions, as well as veterans getting franchise tagged, and GMs telling me where things stood with negotiations among their own unrestricted free agents. Unfortunately for Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith, he is out of the first round due to the concerns that came out of his medical checks in Indianapolis.”

Pick 1 Tennessee Titans: Laremy Tunsil – OT, Mississippi

Pick 2 Cleveland Browns: Carson Wentz – QB, North Dakota St

Pick 3 San Diego Chargers: Jalen Ramsey – CB, Florida State

Pick 4 Dallas Cowboys: Jared Goff – QB, California

Pick 5 Jacksonville Jaguars: Joey Bosa – DE, Ohio State

Pick 6 Baltimore Ravens: DeForest Buckner – DE, Oregon

Pick 7 San Francisco 49ers: Paxton Lynch – QB, Memphis

Pick 8 Miami Dolphins: Noah Spence – DE, Eastern Kentucky

Pick 9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Emmanuel Ogbah – DE, Oklahoma State

Pick 10 New York Giants: Myles Jack – OLB, UCLA

Pick 11 Chicago Bears: Laquon Treadwell – WR, Mississippi

Pick 12 New Orleans Saints: A’Shawn Robinson – DT, Alabama

Pick 13 Philadelphia Eagles: Shaq Lawson – DE, Clemson

Pick 14 Oakland Raiders: Vernon Hargreaves – CB, Florida

Pick 15 Los Angeles Rams: Eli Apple – CB, Ohio State

Pick 16 Detroit Lions: Sheldon Rankins – DT, Louisville

Pick 17 Atlanta Falcons:  Jarran Reed – DT, Alabama

Pick 18 Indianapolis Colts: Ronnie Stanley – OT, Notre Dame

Pick 19 Buffalo Bills: Robert Nkemdiche – DT, Mississippi

Pick 20 New York Jets: Ezekiel Elliot – RB, Ohio State

Pick 21 Washington Redskins: Mackensie Alexander – CB, Clemson

Pick 22 Houston Texans: Connor Cook – QB, Michigan State

Pick 23 Minnesota Vikings: Darron Lee – OLB, Ohio State

Pick 24 Cincinnati Bengals: Leonard Floyd – OLB, Georgia

Pick 25 Pittsburgh Steelers: Kendall Fuller – CB, Virginia Tech

Pick 26 Seattle Seahawks: Jack Conklin – OT, Michigan State

Pick 27 Green Bay Packers: Reggie Ragland – ILB, Alabama

Pick 28 Kansas City Chiefs: Taylor Decker – OT, Ohio State

Pick 29 Arizona Cardinals: Hunter Henry – TE, Arkansas

Pick 30 Carolina Panthers: Kevin Dodd – DE, Clemson

Pick 31 Denver Broncos: Jason Spriggs – OT, Indiana

So Kirwan has Colts taking OT Ronnie Stanley at #18 over Conklin who the Seahawks take at #26.  Packers take Ragland at #27, just as a Chris Landry projected could happen, if he slid a little past mid first round. Interesting.  I wish I could get one (mock) from Gil Brandt...

Some very interesting moves. Definitely can say he doesn't follow the crowd with his selections which I like. Some very nice players on the board when we pick. I really hate to say it but Smith's injury may make him the steal of the draft if you can stash him.

I'm a big Pat Kirwin fan....    I very much enjoy him on NFL Radio on Sirius Network....  a smart, thoughtful guy.

But I confess I'm a bit surprised that he thinks Tunsil goes 1st (I do too...)  and then the next OT won't be taken until we take Ronnie Stanley at 18.        If that happens,  I'm popping a bottle of champagne, and I rarely drink!

It's next to impossible for me to see that happening.     I can't see him getting out of the top-10...   and even if he somehow did,  8 more picks is a long, LONG way........

Wow.....    Ronnie Stanley?!      Where do I sign up for THAT?!?!      

Please make it happen!!              :thmup:

Not exactly sure why Stanley falls to us instead being taken and only Conklin and/or Decker being the only O Line available. Yet every year we see one or two guys that slide down the charts to the puzzlement of all of us Mock drafters/Mock followers.  He does have close ties to many teams to this day, and is likely trying to show where teams interests and focus is, IF their guy is there. 

I say the first team where 'their guy' gets taken off the board in front of them hat also needs some O line help (who doesn't?)  Stanley will fly off the board. IOW, if these guys are there when these teams pick, it is a good chance they will pull that trigger.  We all know, that doesn't happen though.  Trades, reaching, or a panic pick upsets the apple cart, then the BPA vs. Need tussles begin. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm a big Pat Kirwin fan....    I very much enjoy him on NFL Radio on Sirius Network....  a smart, thoughtful guy.

But I confess I'm a bit surprised that he thinks Tunsil goes 1st (I do too...)  and then the next OT won't be taken until we take Ronnie Stanley at 18.        If that happens,  I'm popping a bottle of champagne, and I rarely drink!

It's next to impossible for me to see that happening.     I can't see him getting out of the top-10...   and even if he somehow did,  8 more picks is a long, LONG way........

I'll make you a fun bet that Tunsil won't go first. The Titans have a top 10 LT in Taylor Lewan and they won't draft Tunsil to move him to RT as a 1st overall pick. My bet is they take Jalen Ramsey 1st overall. Stanley could fall some, but I don't think he makes it to 18.

41 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll make you a fun bet that Tunsil won't go first. The Titans have a top 10 LT in Taylor Lewan and they won't draft Tunsil to move him to RT as a 1st overall pick. My bet is they take Jalen Ramsey 1st overall. Stanley could fall some, but I don't think he makes it to 18.

Lewan was okay at LT. Tunsil has way more upside. Plus, they have Poutasi playing RT. If they draft Tunsil, Lewan slides to RT and then Poutasi can kick inside where he belongs. You upgrade 3 positions on the OL with 1 pick. Tunsil is the only viable choice to go number 1 overall. If Smith didn't get hurt, I agree with Mayock that he would have been in the mix. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Lewan was okay at LT. Tunsil has way more upside. Plus, they have Poutasi playing RT. If they draft Tunsil, Lewan slides to RT and then Poutasi can kick inside where he belongs. You upgrade 3 positions on the OL with 1 pick. Tunsil is the only viable choice to go number 1 overall. If Smith didn't get hurt, I agree with Mayock that he would have been in the mix. 

I honestly don't think there is any no1 pick in this draft. It's a terrible draft overall, reminds me of 2013. Has a lot of guys who are in the 16-32 talent range that will go 8-40 instead. Smith was actually my no1 pick til the injury as well. Tunsil is a good pick, but my gut says Ramsey. I don't take the word of any draft analysts that much, I dissect the situation of each team and choose who will go where based on my own ranks and team needs.

If day one went like this, I would be extremely happy.  I would want Grigs on the phone all night to work out a trade up to get Billings in the early second, though.  Stanley and Billings would make a strength out of both sides of our trenches!

5 minutes ago, That Guy said:

If day one went like this, I would be extremely happy.  I would want Grigs on the phone all night to work out a trade up to get Billings in the early second, though.  Stanley and Billings would make a strength out of both sides of our trenches!

If Stanley and Billings were our first two picks this year, that would equal our 2012 draft. Would fix the O-Line and D-Line in one fell swoop. I don't know if we could get Billings too, but there are quality DT's that will fall into the 2nd round like Austin Johnson, Kenny Clark, and one or two others. Lots of quantity for sure and one will probably make it to round 2.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll take that bet.  

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If the Titans have a top-10 LT, then I don't think they know it.

Everything I've read says Lewan gets moved to RT and Tunsil takes over on the Left.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah I have seen video on him but have watched some ND games this season as well so I actually know quite about him. I would definitely be OK with that pick. I bet he goes before 18 though.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Titans have a top-10 LT, then I don't think they know it.

Everything I've read says Lewan gets moved to RT and Tunsil takes over on the Left.

It could happen, but I don't think it's the right move at all. Ramsey would be the correct choice, it just depends if they think Tunsil can be better than Lewan. I hope they try moving Tunsil to LT, because I think it'll backfire on them.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It could happen, but I don't think it's the right move at all. Ramsey would be the correct choice, it just depends if they think Tunsil can be better than Lewan. I hope they try moving Tunsil to LT, because I think it'll backfire on them.

???

Tunsil >>> Lewan already. And he's a LT, so they wouldn't be moving him there. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

???

Tunsil >>> Lewan already. And he's a LT, so they wouldn't be moving him there. 

That's hogwash. He hasn't played one down in the NFL yet, no one knows how good he is. He could be a total bust or be really good. You are basing him being better than Lewan on being the no1 pick in a weak draft and nothing else. You should know better than that by the 50% bust rate of first round picks. Lewan is the LT currently, so they would either have to move him to RT, or move Tunsil to RT.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

You are basing him being better than Lewan on being the no1 pick in a weak draft and nothing else

No, I'm basing it on watching both of them play. Lewan is average at best, and Tunsil is dominant looks to be a dominant player. Tunsil is a better prospect now than Lewan was two years ago, and he'd likely be better in the NFL on day one. No question he has the higher upside, and if the Titans drafted him, they wouldn't move him to the right side.

People use this 'the draft is a crap shoot, we don't know how good a guy is going to be' line to rationalize their baseless statements. 

If the Titans like Ramsey better than Tunsil, then that's who they should pick. You don't pass on the guy you think is a generational LT because you have a serviceable LT already. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's a question, if Conklin and Stanley are both there at 18 who would be the better player to take? I still like Jason Spriggs as well and Kelly and Martin if we choose a Center instead.

Stanley is probably better, but I don't think he is a RT, I could be wrong. Conklin is a RT and would fit perfectly there. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's a question, if Conklin and Stanley are both there at 18 who would be the better player to take? I still like Jason Spriggs as well and Kelly and Martin if we choose a Center instead.

Stanley > Conklin

No, I'm basing it on watching both of them play. Lewan is average at best, and Tunsil is dominant looks to be a dominant player. Tunsil is a better prospect now than Lewan was two years ago, and he'd likely be better in the NFL on day one. No question he has the higher upside, and if the Titans drafted him, they wouldn't move him to the right side.

People use this 'the draft is a crap shoot, we don't know how good a guy is going to be' line to rationalize their baseless statements. 

If the Titans like Ramsey better than Tunsil, then that's who they should pick. You don't pass on the guy you think is a generational LT because you have a serviceable LT already. 

I actually hope the Titans take Tunsil. I don't see him as a generational LT of any kind. I just see him as the best possibly of a weak draft. I see Ramsey as a tall physical corner who can play corner or safety that would benefit the Titans tremendously. I don't know 100% who they like better, as I said earlier in this thread, I go off my rankings and other teams needs for my mocks, and I think ramsey is the proper pick. Tunsil doesn't seem special in any way to me. I think Stanley could be just as good potentially. There's no one at Ramsey's position or in the entire draft, IMO, that can outplay him. Ramsey is a true leader on the field, he led that defense at Florida State. I don't see a leader in Tunsil, sometimes there is more to it than the talent by itself.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I actually hope the Titans take Tunsil. I don't see him as a generational LT of any kind. I just see him as the best possibly of a weak draft. I see Ramsey as a tall physical corner who can play corner or safety that would benefit the Titans tremendously. I don't know 100% who they like better, as I said earlier in this thread, I go off my rankings and other teams needs for my mocks, and I think ramsey is the proper pick. Tunsil doesn't seem special in any way to me. I think Stanley could be just as good potentially. There's no one at Ramsey's position or in the entire draft, IMO, that can outplay him. Ramsey is a true leader on the field, he led that defense at Florida State. I don't see a leader in Tunsil, sometimes there is more to it than the talent by itself.

I disagree. You're projecting the weakness of this draft onto Tunsil, I think, but he's the best LT prospect since Tyron Smith. It's hard to understand how anyone can watch him play and not see him being a special player. The only question about Tunsil is his suspension, but I don't think most NFL teams care about NCAA violations.

Stanley is good, too, but I think Tunsil is better right now. Stanley looks more like a Tyron Smith kind of guy, but he needs refinement, while Tunsil is ready to go to the blindside right now.

Ramsey is my #2, but I think Tunsil is the best guy in the draft. 

I disagree. You're projecting the weakness of this draft onto Tunsil, I think, but he's the best LT prospect since Tyron Smith. It's hard to understand how anyone can watch him play and not see him being a special player. The only question about Tunsil is his suspension, but I don't think most NFL teams care about NCAA violations.

Stanley is good, too, but I think Tunsil is better right now. Stanley looks more like a Tyron Smith kind of guy, but he needs refinement, while Tunsil is ready to go to the blindside right now.

Ramsey is my #2, but I think Tunsil is the best guy in the draft. 

I just don't see a ton of separation between Tunsil and Stanley, and I guess I'm putting too much into it. If Tunsil does become anything like Tyron Smith has been for the Cowboys, then he will be a great O-Lineman. I'm putting a lot of stock into Ramsey's leadership, versatility to play corner and safety, his physicality, and the way he plays the game a lot more. He just stands out more to me, and maybe I'm putting too much into it, but I have some free time on my hands, so that's what I do. Either one will probably succeed, I just hope the Titans pick the one that is worse. 

34 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's hogwash. He hasn't played one down in the NFL yet, no one knows how good he is. He could be a total bust or be really good. You are basing him being better than Lewan on being the no1 pick in a weak draft and nothing else. You should know better than that by the 50% bust rate of first round picks. Lewan is the LT currently, so they would either have to move him to RT, or move Tunsil to RT.

I think you should consider that Lewan may not be as good a LT as you think he is.

He's only played it one year.     He was on the right side the year before.

From all eyes,  Tunsil appears to be a much better LT candidate.

The owner has publicly said the Titans have to do a better job of protecting Marriota.        Sounds like he's talking Tunsil as well......

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I just don't see a ton of separation between Tunsil and Stanley, and I guess I'm putting too much into it. If Tunsil does become anything like Tyron Smith has been for the Cowboys, then he will be a great O-Lineman. I'm putting a lot of stock into Ramsey's leadership, versatility to play corner and safety, his physicality, and the way he plays the game a lot more. He just stands out more to me, and maybe I'm putting too much into it, but I have some free time on my hands, so that's what I do. Either one will probably succeed, I just hope the Titans pick the one that is worse. 

Ramsey's versatility is overstated, IMO. He's more of a safety than a corner, but if he's in a Cover 2 or Cover 3, he can be a plus guy on the outside. I think he's an elite safety prospect, and a decent corner prospect. Put him in a man scheme and I think his limitations are exposed.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think you should consider that Lewan may not be as good a LT as you think he is.

He's only played it one year.     He was on the right side the year before.

From all eyes,  Tunsil appears to be a much better LT candidate.

You are correct, Lewan may not be as good as I think he is. However, the variance is a lot smaller with Lewan than Tunsil. Lewan will probably be above average to below average, Tunsil could be fantastic to horrible. It's a pick your poison scenario, and are you willing to spend the no1 pick to find out if you are right?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ramsey's versatility is overstated, IMO. He's more of a safety than a corner, but if he's in a Cover 2 or Cover 3, he can be a plus guy on the outside. I think he's an elite safety prospect, and a decent corner prospect. Put him in a man scheme and I think his limitations are exposed.

You are absolutely correct, he's an elite safety, and I expect the titans would be smart enough to use him as such. His weaknesses are that small/shifty WRs like Hilton and Antonio Brown would give him trouble, but he's still extremely good. I honestly do not know if the Titans play man or zone, so that could ruin my theory of them taking him 1st overall. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are absolutely correct, he's an elite safety, and I expect the titans would be smart enough to use him as such. His weaknesses are that small/shifty WRs like Hilton and Antonio Brown would give him trouble, but he's still extremely good. I honestly do not know if the Titans play man or zone, so that could ruin my theory of them taking him 1st overall. 

One NFL GM has told a media guy that he expects the Titans to trade out of #1 because some team wants to move up for Jared Goff. 

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are correct, Lewan may not be as good as I think he is. However, the variance is a lot smaller with Lewan than Tunsil. Lewan will probably be above average to below average, Tunsil could be fantastic to horrible. It's a pick your poison scenario, and are you willing to spend the no1 pick to find out if you are right?

What makes you think Tunsil is a high ceiling but low floor type of OT?     Why "fantastic to horrible"...??

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

One NFL GM has told a media guy that he expects the Titans to trade out of #1 because some team wants to move up for Jared Goff. 

Yikes!?!?     Goff?     #1 overall?      Wow..........

Whichever team does that I think is making a very big mistake......

But that's the draft.....     what looks great to one team looks not so great to another.

I suppose if some team pays handsomely for the top pick, maybe it's OK for the Titans to trade down....   but I'd have to be overwhelmed to do that.....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

What makes you think Tunsil is a high ceiling but low floor type of OT?     Why "fantastic to horrible"...??

I don't think he's that, but based on the fact that he hasn't played one down in the NFL and we have 0 plays of him so far, he could do anything anything from completely bust, to be a hall of famer. Based on his high upside, the variance suggests anything is possible right now. With Lewan, we have a bit of a sample size so far.